Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Graham Harrell a legitimate #2 NFL Quarterback?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is Graham Harrell a legitimate #2 NFL Quarterback?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
No
88%
 88%  [ 55 ]
Total Votes : 62

Dunderhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
I know I just posted this in another thread, but I need as many answers as possible. Vince Young is the backup now right? There's no way they roll with Graham as the No. 2. I mean, he has to be?

It's too hard to say. A lot of time has been spent on Harrell and roster spots used on him to just let him leave. That being said, at the end of the day you have to be a field general of sorts out there. I think that just isn't Harrell and I have no idea why?

A play here is mentioned a few times, it was the lateral or behind the scrimmage toss Harrell made for no reason that could have really broken a team's back. It reminded me of TJ Rubley in Minnesota. It was chancy and very stupid football. At least with Rubley I could excuse it because he was a rookie and inexperienced - it still lead to him getting cut mid-season.

With Vince he does have an "it" factor. The team seems to respect him and he has a command of the players. He has yet to do anything I'd say is stupid, but man does he need work on his craft.

I think if VY makes this team it's because of what none of us sees, but we hear about. Is he working hard on learning? Is he putting in the extra effort? Is he being a good teammate? If that's true I think the staff will take the shot on him and VY might amaze us yet... The talent is there, but is the head? A couple years in GB could turn VY's career around.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we could really use is Harrell twisting an ankle and going on IR. that way he could still be on the side line and use his brain. I used me at the billiards table as an example in the GDT. I know what to do, how and when to do it; but I just can't. I honestly believe Harrell has mastered this offense except for the execution part.

I agree, his arm isn't fantastic. But is it so much worse than Flynn's? Maybe Flynn was the lower limit to how strong an arm needs to be for this offense and the small difference is enough to stop Harrell from succeeding? But that doesn't explain why Harrell has so many passes tipped, or why he throws a backward pass, or steps up into the pressure.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
carolinapacker1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
I'm telling you guys the coaching staff has a huge hard-on for Graham Harrell and against all logic, wisdom, and obviousness he will be #2 on the depth chart. I refuse to hold out hope we'll actually cut him or demote him because I've wanted it for so long and it has never happened. He always plays and always sucks and always continues to play at #2. Yup, VY showed exactly why we brought him in tonight and totally 100% outplayed GH. For some reason GH is going to make the 53 man roster and be the #2 anyway. If Rodgers goes down it will take a complete disaster of a game from GH before we let VY start. It's a shame and makes me lose a lot of confidence in the coaching staff. I will be praying for that cut anyway Pray

My hope is that if TT and MM had the willingness to cut Brian Brohm despite being drafted higher than Flynn, they'll take that willingness on GH as well.

I do think that they're still trying to come up with a viable excuse to keep him being that they figure at this point he's been their new man to keep that job.

Now I'm outside of Green Bay so I don't get to go by the practice field and watch VY, and I don't know what goes on there which obviously gets taken into account in all this as well and the coaches see more than we do, but sure seems like VY is the type of guy who's put in a lot of time and effort to learn the system and get better. At the end of the day, I'd feel much better with him backing up Rodgers in the event something happened to him than I would Graham Harrell. I also feel that his extra athleticism to go along with his throwing for our team is something that works well in our favor.

I almost wish we could get a few special packages in there for him to run with the first team offense, guy still has plenty of running ability.
Burial

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrell is a great kid but I do not want him as my backup QB
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit off-topic for this thread but Coleman is really starting to grow on me. He seems to have the ability to make all the throws, has great pocket awareness and seems tough as nails. He surprisingly has posted an 81 QBR while having a series of drops and playing with the crap team. I really hope we don't keep Harrell and get rid of BJ because Im not sure he makes it to PS.

-- Antrel Rolle, on playing against Aaron Rodgers
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=528348

well here's some good news Very Happy
SCPackersFan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Harrell is the first guy that I want to see cut in final cuts.... He's horrible, and the FO has been dumb enough to keep him for this long.
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
What we could really use is Harrell twisting an ankle and going on IR. that way he could still be on the side line and use his brain. I used me at the billiards table as an example in the GDT. I know what to do, how and when to do it; but I just can't. I honestly believe Harrell has mastered this offense except for the execution part.

I agree, his arm isn't fantastic. But is it so much worse than Flynn's? Maybe Flynn was the lower limit to how strong an arm needs to be for this offense and the small difference is enough to stop Harrell from succeeding? But that doesn't explain why Harrell has so many passes tipped, or why he throws a backward pass, or steps up into the pressure.

I've often thought if we think so highly of Harrell and we think he's so smart and has such a great grasp on our system why don't we just offer him a job as an assistant QB coach! Haha. It's probably the best place for him if we want to keep the guy around.

incognito_man wrote:
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=528348

well here's some good news

Excellent!!!! Wow, that's great to hear coming for MM. Maybe it will actually happen, VY at #2.

gbpacker40 wrote:
Maybe a bit off-topic for this thread but Coleman is really starting to grow on me. He seems to have the ability to make all the throws, has great pocket awareness and seems tough as nails. He surprisingly has posted an 81 QBR while having a series of drops and playing with the crap team. I really hope we don't keep Harrell and get rid of BJ because Im not sure he makes it to PS.

I really agree with you. My hope has been that they keep 3 QBs this year (Rodgers, Young, and Coleman). Honestly I just think Coleman deserves it at this point. Nothing brings out talent more than getting to play around better competition. Realistically, we'll probably see him on PS though. I just can't see him getting snagged by another team. He's too much of a project. Don't get me wrong though, he's got a great arm and I hope we keep him.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO

Graham has been given every chance and he is still just blah. At least VY has starting experience and knows how to make plays and win games. That was evident vs the seachickens. Coleman also has more upside but he is raw, so he most likely will ride the practice squad. If Aaron goes down we are done either way so what does it matter? I believe the coaches will keep Harrell over the others bcuz he knows the playbook well. If Aaron goes down I wouldn't want us to win, i'd want a shot at Clowney.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Coleman, IMO he isn't ready yet. Sign him to the PS one more year and unleash him next preseason. He still has PS availability. If someone wants to sign him and put him on their roster, let them. He has potential, but so do 15-20 other guys that will be in the draft next year.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packattack86 wrote:
NO

Graham has been given every chance and he is still just blah. At least VY has starting experience and knows how to make plays and win games. That was evident vs the seachickens. Coleman also has more upside but he is raw, so he most likely will ride the practice squad. If Aaron goes down we are done either way so what does it matter? I believe the coaches will keep Harrell over the others bcuz he knows the playbook well. If Aaron goes down I wouldn't want us to win, i'd want a shot at Clowney.

How much slack is Harrell going to get on knowing the playbook really well though? I hear this over and over about why he's always in there at #2. I mean a savant could know the playbook up and down but I'm not putting him in the game. It's just poor strategy and wasted reps...ya know? The Raiders pulled Flynn last night and let Pryor play a ton of time and the guy lead them to 4 straight scoring drives. We let Harrell play WAY too much last night. They should have let Vince run that last 2:00 drill (because we all knew nothing was gonna happen with Harrell in there) and then start the 3rd quarter. Vince needs those reps and he actually brings out talent in others. Harrell is complete dead weight. Nobody on the team is getting any better with him in there. And again, if he knows our playbook so well give Harrell a job as a coach. VERY frustrating as a fan that this guy will likely make the 53-man roster. AND he will likely be given consideration to start a game if Rodgers goes down for a short period of time.

Yes, obviously if Rodgers goes down the season we're up the creek anyway. However, what if you need a guy to finish a game for a concussed Rodgers? Or just a few weeks? These things happen and if Harrell goes in in that situation instead of VY so help me I'm putting a beer through the TV.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:

Yes, obviously if Rodgers goes down the season we're up the creek anyway. However, what if you need a guy to finish a game for a concussed Rodgers? Or just a few weeks? These things happen and if Harrell goes in in that situation instead of VY so help me I'm putting a beer through the TV.

TT and MM both just bought some Sony stock. And wore t-shirts that read: "trollface.jpg," and "U MAD BRO?" respectively.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't figure out what McCarthy sees in Harrell .. he's a bad qb. The game is too fast for him, and he's shown very little to get excited about judging from the past few preseason's.

It's pretty obvious that Vince Young has a lot more to offer as a #2 than Harrell. Young needs a lot of refinement, but he can at least occasionally lead scoring drives, and make plays on his own.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
As for Coleman, IMO he isn't ready yet. Sign him to the PS one more year and unleash him next preseason. He still has PS availability. If someone wants to sign him and put him on their roster, let them. He has potential, but so do 15-20 other guys that will be in the draft next year.

yeah i agree completely, i think we can get away with stashing him on the PS one more season. he has all the good upside that you want in a QB. and the last two games he has started putting it together.

Coleman has made more progress from the beginning of tamp to game 3 preseason than harrell did in three years.

aaaand harrell is finally gone.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
I can't figure out what McCarthy sees in Harrell .. he's a bad qb. The game is too fast for him, and he's shown very little to get excited about judging from the past few preseason's.

It's pretty obvious that Vince Young has a lot more to offer as a #2 than Harrell. Young needs a lot of refinement, but he can at least occasionally lead scoring drives, and make plays on his own.
N worries, kilr0y is wrong, they're supposedly releasing Harrell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: