Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 3: VIKINGS (0-2) at 49ers (1-1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
^He does it fairly frequently, but if you don't want to believe what is actually happening, I guess no one can force you to.

I wasn't debating that. I was debating what he did in college.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
^He does it fairly frequently, but if you don't want to believe what is actually happening, I guess no one can force you to.

He favored it in college, too, though. Not as much as he does now, sure. Which makes immediate sense, too, given that he naturally isn't half as comfortable in the pros as he was in the college ranks.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

He favored it in college, too, though. Not as much as he does now, sure. Which makes immediate sense, too, given that he naturally isn't half as comfortable in the pros as he was in the college ranks.

He also played 90-95% of his snaps out of a shotgun formation so I'm sure that has a lot to do with comfortability level in the pros and his wanting to take off when the pocket starts collapsing around him.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're one of those morons who runs onto the field illegally during NFL games, beware. You are fair game for the big fellas to hit. Or even the littler ones like Jerome Simpson.

Simpson won't be fined for leaving the sideline to trip a fan who had eluded police and security guards and was running loose on the field in the closing minutes of Sunday night's game at Candlestick Park. Although the league obviously doesn't encourage players to make contact with morons who enter the field, they traditionally have not issued fines.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/221248031.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider Ponder a scrambler, but I do consider him mobile.

A scrambler, to me, has that mentality and tendency to go through his first or second read in the passing game and then drop his eyes and look to run and create plays with his legs. Look at Vick in his prime, for instance. He looked at his primary target and if it wasn't there he would immediately drop his eyes down and look for the first defender he could juke. There are also many designed QB keepers or options for true scrambling QBs.

A non-scrambler is always thinking pass until the point of no return when throwing the ball is no longer a viable option. Ponder generally has good awareness and gets outside the pocket to extend plays but he keeps his eyes down field, trying to make a play in the passing game until the last possible second when he may tuck it and pick up 5-6 yards before going out of bounds.

Obviously Ponder has had longer and more athletic runs, but in general, the above scenario is what I have observed. It makes him athletic and mobile, but he doesn't have the mind set or track record of being a true scrambling QB.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: