Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason, Week 3: VIKINGS (0-2) at 49ers (1-1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Yfz01


Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 8774
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Josh Robinson appears to be on the same career path as fellow former 3rd round pick CB's Asher Allen and Marcus McCauley... promising rookie year, terrible 2nd year, and then fade away into obscurity.


He just got moved to the slot for the first time in his college or pro career, is younger than first round pick Xavier Rhodes, and has a ton of upside. He's got some learning to do, there's no question, but I think he'll put it together. He's definitely more athletically gifted than Marcus McCauley or Asher Allen.

I'd play him in next weeks game though. Even if he's a starter, he clearly needs some more work.
_________________


Lil Uno with the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 48348
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
Josh Robinson appears to be on the same career path as fellow former 3rd round pick CB's Asher Allen and Marcus McCauley... promising rookie year, terrible 2nd year, and then fade away into obscurity.


He just got moved to the slot for the first time in his college or pro career, is younger than first round pick Xavier Rhodes, and has a ton of upside. He's got some learning to do, there's no question, but I think he'll put it together. He's definitely more athletically gifted than Marcus McCauley or Asher Allen.

I'd play him in next weeks game though. Even if he's a starter, he clearly needs some more work.


Hasnt Robinson been getting a lot of looks this preseason on the outside? He has been starting in two CB sets. It seems obvious that Robinson may only make it as a slot CB, since he has been getting abused on the outside. MN really needs Rhodes to step up and be that day one starter and they definitely need Cook to be healthy. If I am the vikings, I am signing a veteran CB that gets released.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twslhs20


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 12637
Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
Ponder is a heck of a scrambler. Very underrated there imo lol


Well that's pretty much all he did at FSU Laughing


Well that statement is false


Bowden recruited guys like Ponder and Manuel because they were mobile guys who fit his system of bootlegs and option packages.
_________________

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yfz01


Joined: 18 Jul 2008
Posts: 8774
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Yfz01 wrote:
[UMN] wrote:
Josh Robinson appears to be on the same career path as fellow former 3rd round pick CB's Asher Allen and Marcus McCauley... promising rookie year, terrible 2nd year, and then fade away into obscurity.


He just got moved to the slot for the first time in his college or pro career, is younger than first round pick Xavier Rhodes, and has a ton of upside. He's got some learning to do, there's no question, but I think he'll put it together. He's definitely more athletically gifted than Marcus McCauley or Asher Allen.

I'd play him in next weeks game though. Even if he's a starter, he clearly needs some more work.


Hasnt Robinson been getting a lot of looks this preseason on the outside? He has been starting in two CB sets. It seems obvious that Robinson may only make it as a slot CB, since he has been getting abused on the outside. MN really needs Rhodes to step up and be that day one starter and they definitely need Cook to be healthy. If I am the vikings, I am signing a veteran CB that gets released.


I read somewhere that Rhodes has only given up 7 yards on 6 targets, so far so good!

Robinson has been on the outside, and he has given up way too many easy releases to the inside on slants. Hopefully he gets a little more physical at the point of attack.
_________________


Lil Uno with the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6160
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Kevin Williams' knee injury is not serious.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9602827/kevin-williams-minnesota-vikings-suffered-no-ligament-damage-knee
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 14947
Location: Gibsonia, Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
Josh Robinson appears to be on the same career path as fellow former 3rd round pick CB's Asher Allen and Marcus McCauley... promising rookie year, terrible 2nd year, and then fade away into obscurity.


Its preseason.

There's still a lot of football to be played before we can really say this. What if Robinson has 3 pick 6's week 1? Will it still appear he's headed down the road Allen and McCauley, all because of one preseason game?

We don't know. Its too early to tell, and I'm not ready to give up on anyone on this team yet.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
Ponder is a heck of a scrambler. Very underrated there imo lol


Well that's pretty much all he did at FSU Laughing


Well that statement is false


Bowden recruited guys like Ponder and Manuel because they were mobile guys who fit his system of bootlegs and option packages.


Doesn't mean that Ponder was a scrambler at FSU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Krauser


Joined: 20 Apr 2013
Posts: 2132
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two 1st half drives from last night, both starting deep in own territory against the opponent's starting defense:

Kaepernick: 5/7 for 68 yards and 4 first downs
Ponder: 5/6 for 60 yards and 3 first downs, plus 11 yards rushing on 2 carries for 1 first down

SF had 16 yards rushing on 3 carries on that drive.
MN had 12 yards rushing on 4 non-QB carries on that drive.

SF drive was 84 yards on 10 plays, resulting in a TD
MN drive was 83 yards on 12 plays, resulting in a punt from the SF 35 -- after 50 yards in penalties on Kalil and Loadholt.

Neither starting offense had a first down against the other team's starting defense on other drives.

Ponder's 2 turnovers led to 6 points. McCoy's INT led to 7 points.

Add the KR for a TD and it's 20-7 at halftime, but a fairly even game to that point except for the turnovers, penalties and special teams play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
Ponder is a heck of a scrambler. Very underrated there imo lol


Well that's pretty much all he did at FSU Laughing


Well that statement is false


Bowden recruited guys like Ponder and Manuel because they were mobile guys who fit his system of bootlegs and option packages.


Doesn't mean that Ponder was a scrambler at FSU.


What exactly is the point of this statement? Have you seen Ponder's FSU games? He was a frequent scrambler.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
HighHopes wrote:
Ponder is a heck of a scrambler. Very underrated there imo lol


Well that's pretty much all he did at FSU Laughing


Well that statement is false


Bowden recruited guys like Ponder and Manuel because they were mobile guys who fit his system of bootlegs and option packages.


Doesn't mean that Ponder was a scrambler at FSU.


What exactly is the point of this statement? Have you seen Ponder's FSU games? He was a frequent scrambler.


I've been an FSU fan since 92 when I was 12 years old. I think I saw his games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
I've been an FSU fan since 92 when I was 12 years old. I think I saw his games.


Please don't be offended, it's not my intention. I believe you. Which is why I'm even more confused that you didn't recognize that he was a frequent scrambler (and still is, in the pros).
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
I've been an FSU fan since 92 when I was 12 years old. I think I saw his games.


Please don't be offended, it's not my intention. I believe you. Which is why I'm even more confused that you didn't recognize that he was a frequent scrambler (and still is, in the pros).


He had one season (sophomore) where he put up respectable numbers as a scrambler. Also his first season as the starting QB for FSU.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-ponder-1.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
I've been an FSU fan since 92 when I was 12 years old. I think I saw his games.


Please don't be offended, it's not my intention. I believe you. Which is why I'm even more confused that you didn't recognize that he was a frequent scrambler (and still is, in the pros).


He had one season (sophomore) where he put up respectable numbers as a scrambler. Also his first season as the starting QB for FSU.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-ponder-1.html


Wait, rushing stats don't make a scrambling QB. Favoring the outside of the pocket and breaking the pocket altogether contribute to the mold of a scrambling QB, in addition to rushing stats. He has always been a scrambler, as such.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikefan79


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 29761
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
I've been an FSU fan since 92 when I was 12 years old. I think I saw his games.


Please don't be offended, it's not my intention. I believe you. Which is why I'm even more confused that you didn't recognize that he was a frequent scrambler (and still is, in the pros).


He had one season (sophomore) where he put up respectable numbers as a scrambler. Also his first season as the starting QB for FSU.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-ponder-1.html


Wait, rushing stats don't make a scrambling QB. Favoring the outside of the pocket and breaking the pocket altogether contribute to the mold of a scrambling QB, in addition to rushing stats. He has always been a scrambler, as such.


Because he breaks the pocket on occasion to extend a play doesn't make him a scrambler either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleMugen


Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 4019
Location: Rutgers University
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^He does it fairly frequently, but if you don't want to believe what is actually happening, I guess no one can force you to.
_________________

Peppers90 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 25 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group