Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Cardinals cut K Dan Carpenter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Cardinals cut K Dan Carpenter Reply with quote

Caleb Sturgis has won the Dolphins kicking job, and they have waived Dan Carpenter. His career field goal percentage is 81.9%. We are on the list of interested teams according to the ESPN article.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp13/story/_/id/9572048/dan-carpenter-pick-team-wife-gives-birth

Last edited by Kilr0y on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole "Packers interested" thing in your title is so misleading. Shefty was just spewing team names that may be interested and may be looking for a kicker. No confirmed interest from any team about Carp to this point.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me dream. And hey, it very specifically says we are looking for a new kicker. It would be naive to think that we are not interested.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
Let me dream.
Hey, I'm right there with you on the dreaming thing. Hoping like nobody's business that we grab Carp.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know why the Dolphins cut him if he's so good? What's his contract look like? Maybe they figure it's cheaper to keep a talented rookie.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
Anybody know why the Dolphins cut him if he's so good? What's his contract look like? Maybe they figure it's cheaper to keep a talented rookie.

Sturgis is a 5th round pick who is 1/4 of the price. Carpenter missed some OT kicks as well last year.
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
Sturgis is a 5th round pick who is 1/4 of the price. Carpenter missed some OT kicks as well last year.

As I suspected. If you google Dan Carpenter right now, an image of Mason Crosby shows up with the news stories. I'm calling that an omen.

EDIT: Turns out the Door County Daily News (whatever that is) wrote a story on it, and they say we have "already shown major interest". If he was waived couldn't we have claimed him on waivers?
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilr0y wrote:
gbpacker40 wrote:

As I suspected. If you google Dan Carpenter right now, an image of Mason Crosby shows up with the news stories. I'm calling that an omen.

EDIT: Turns out the Door County Daily News (whatever that is) wrote a story on it, and they say we have "already shown major interest". If he was waived couldn't we have claimed him on waivers?

He's a vet, therefor his situation doesnt apply for waiver claims. He can sign with anyone.

Per Wiki
"As of 2008, according to the NFL collective bargaining agreement, if any waiver of a veteran player who has completed the season that gives him four years of service occurs between February 1 and the trading deadline in mid October, then that player shall be considered an unrestricted free agent by termination of his contract"
Kilr0y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbpacker40 wrote:
He's a vet, therefor his situation doesnt apply for waiver claims. He can sign with anyone.

That may not work to our advantage. He's apparently waiting on the birth of a child. Here's hoping that TT is sending some GB baby clothes as we speak.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I feel about carpenter. On one end- he is fresh blood in the kicking competition. He has a good leg, and has been accurate thus far in his career. On the other hand, he will want more $ than an unproven kicker would, and to be honest, has missed some big clutch kicks in recent years. I would much rather roll the dice on Rugland over there in DET. However I have a small feeling he might get the job over Akers.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
dijatool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
The whole "Packers interested" thing in your title is so misleading. Shefty was just spewing team names that may be interested and may be looking for a kicker. No confirmed interest from any team about Carp to this point.

A couple days ago Zach Kruse wrote about the 'kicking-starved' Packers. For some fans, that's the reality; doesn't matter what the team thinks.

Crosby moved to #1 on the fan hate list with his performance on Family Night (if he wasn't already there last season).

wiscsports1234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. With Carpenter you get an 81.9% FG kicker. He's hit over 84% 3 times in his 5 year career. Crosby is a 76.8% FG kicker and has only hit higher than 80% just once in his 6 year career.

CBears019 wrote:
You are the greatest Packers poster ever.
Pugger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have the competition for kicker between Crosby and Carpenter instead of the young man (I can't think of his name at the moment) we have in camp right now battling Mason. TT and company weren't averse to signing Young when Harrell and Coleman struggled so ya never know...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
Crosby moved to #1 on the fan hate list with his performance on Family Night (if he wasn't already there last season).

Yep. I was there on Family Night and the crowd boo'd him.

I'm all for signing Carpenter or Rugland.

stockholder wrote:
Lets put The PAds ON!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: