Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens LB Jameel McClain takes a $1.5M paycut

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Ravens LB Jameel McClain takes a $1.5M paycut Reply with quote

Quote:
Jameel McClain accepted a $1.5 million paycut from $3 million base salary down to $1.5 million. Team salary-cap space is now $5.529 million

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/368057939510054912

Quote:
Jameel McClain's salary-cap figure dropped from $4.2 million to $2.7 million

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/368058745135173632
Tom Brady Tribute
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Well he's certainly not negotiating from a position of strength. Daryl Smith, Josh Bynes and Arthur Brown all look pretty good, and McClain still isn't cleared to practice.

I was sort of expected him to be cut, or for them to reach an injury settlement. A pay cut is better for him, I guess, although if he was a FA, he'd surely be of interest to some teams out there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably was told "Listen, it's either a paycut and we IR you, or we release you. Your choice." He's likely not playing this season, I'd think, but the Ravens want to keep him around just in case we need him next year.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Probably was told "Listen, it's either a paycut and we IR you, or we release you. Your choice." He's likely not playing this season, I'd think, but the Ravens want to keep him around just in case we need him next year.

Yep. Daryl Smith is only a 1 year rental as of now so I think they don't see harm in keeping their options open with McClain for the long-term. If he never gets cleared to play, they can cut him and are no worse for the wear.

And hey, that $1.5 million in savings gives us a little wiggle room to make a move for a receiver if an opportunity comes up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 4h
Under Jameel McClain's three-year, $10.5 million contract, no changes made to 2014 base salary, which remains $3.2 million nonguaranteed

I don't think McClain will be around next season anyways. If Smith or Bynes show enough to be kept around after this season then McClain is expendable. Easily. Personally I would have hoped he would be cut outright instead of a salary reduction but something is better than nothing. This should give the team room to make another signing while still having cushion room for the replacements of players that will eventually end up on IR.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 4h
Under Jameel McClain's three-year, $10.5 million contract, no changes made to 2014 base salary, which remains $3.2 million nonguaranteed

I don't think McClain will be around next season anyways. If Smith or Bynes show enough to be kept around after this season then McClain is expendable. Easily. Personally I would have hoped he would be cut outright instead of a salary reduction but something is better than nothing. This should give the team room to make another signing while still having cushion room for the replacements of players that will eventually end up on IR.

Yeah unless Smith is expecting a payday then I'd much rather invest any money we were willing to invest into McClain and give it to Smith. Guy has been a playmaker. And with Arthur Brown along with our other ILB depth, it just doesn't seem smart to waste starting ILB money on McClain... it's not like he was ever anything special out there anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 3/10.5 deal we gave him looks like a bust right now. Glad he took a paycut but since he's had these injury issues it's become more evident that we can replicate his production with cheaper options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: