Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Driver weighs in on Jennings/Rodgers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here, but I do find it strange that Driver has now pretty much echoed the sentiments of Jennings. Before we had Finley spouting off about his QB, and I wrote that off as Finley being a moron. Where it gets interesting is when you have Jennings, and especially Driver voicing complaints. Now that Jennings is playing for the Vikings, I would have just ignored his comments, figuring he has some kind of agenda of his own. However, when Driver, who no longer has any horse in the race, starts talking about his former QB, the chorus of voices starts to gain some traction.

Rodgers is undoubtedly a great QB. Nobody can argue that. At the same time, do you guys worry that there are some shortcomings in his leadership style that can keep him from rising to the level of his physical talents over the course of his career? In other words, do you worry that there really is something to all of this, and that it could hold Rodgers back from ultimate playoff success that he might otherwise have over the remainder of his career?
I don't think Driver was bashing Rodgers. I think Driver was trying to explain what he thought Greg was talking about, but he did not elaborate on what exactly he was talking about. It kind of sounds like he was bashing Rodgers but I don't think that is what he was going for.
strat1080

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest here, but I do find it strange that Driver has now pretty much echoed the sentiments of Jennings. Before we had Finley spouting off about his QB, and I wrote that off as Finley being a moron. Where it gets interesting is when you have Jennings, and especially Driver voicing complaints. Now that Jennings is playing for the Vikings, I would have just ignored his comments, figuring he has some kind of agenda of his own. However, when Driver, who no longer has any horse in the race, starts talking about his former QB, the chorus of voices starts to gain some traction.

Rodgers is undoubtedly a great QB. Nobody can argue that. At the same time, do you guys worry that there are some shortcomings in his leadership style that can keep him from rising to the level of his physical talents over the course of his career? In other words, do you worry that there really is something to all of this, and that it could hold Rodgers back from ultimate playoff success that he might otherwise have over the remainder of his career?

Charles Woodson came out and defended Rodgers and said that Jennings and Driver's comments lack merit. Woodson thought it's laughable that Driver and Jennings think that Rodgers should own up for their mistakes. Woodson himself said that they have put a [inappropriate/removed]-poor defensive product on the field several years with Rodgers at QB and that several season they had no business winning as many games as they did.

He said that the year they went 15-1 that with any other QB would have been a 7-9 team.

As a Packers fan I was ripped for saying that the Packers weren't a great team the year they won the Super Bowl. I call it like I see it. I don't know when people are going to realize that the talent around Rodgers isn't really all that great. I never saw P Manning or T Brady put up the numbers that Rodgers has been putting without the help from elite HOF talent around them. Rodgers has never had a truly great WR like a Randy Moss or Reggie Wayne.

Rodgers' 2011 season was simply masterful. Greg Jennings missed a lot of snaps that season and Rodgers still tossed 45 TDs. I don't think you will ever see Brady or Manning even sniff 40 TDs while missing their #1 target. The seasons when they eclipsed 40 TDs they had healthy offenses and true elite talent at WR.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat1080 wrote:

As a Packers fan I was ripped for saying that the Packers weren't a great team the year they won the Super Bowl. I call it like I see it. I don't know when people are going to realize that the talent around Rodgers isn't really all that great.

I mean...our defense was outstanding in 2010.

Philly game - gave up 16 points and sealed the game with an INT in the end zone.

Atlanta game - gave up only 7 points until meaningless garbage time where they gave up one more TD. Directly scored a TD as well.

Chicago - gave up 14 points and scored 7 directly again.

SB - gave up 25 and scored 7.

In four games our defense gave up a net average of 12 points per game, only 10 if you discount ATL's garbage time TD. That's incredibly impressive. So don't knock down an elite unit to try and put Rodgers on a bigger pedestal, he doesn't need the help. We won the trophy because Rodgers played incredible and so did our defense. Our running game was solid at best and our WRs had some good moment and some bad as well. But the defense was baller.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
strat1080 wrote:

As a Packers fan I was ripped for saying that the Packers weren't a great team the year they won the Super Bowl. I call it like I see it. I don't know when people are going to realize that the talent around Rodgers isn't really all that great.

Philly game - gave up 16 points and sealed the game with an INT in the end zone.

Atlanta game - gave up only 7 points until meaningless garbage time where they gave up one more TD. Directly scored a TD as well.

In four games our defense gave up a net average of 12 points per game, only 10 if you discount ATL's garbage time TD. That's incredibly impressive. So don't knock down an elite unit to try and put Rodgers on a bigger pedestal, he doesn't need the help. We won the trophy because Rodgers played incredible and so did our defense. Our running game was solid at best and our WRs had some good moment and some bad as well. But the defense was baller.

Yes, but the year we went 15-1 because of Rodgers' otherworldly play our defense wasn't so wonderful. A lot of the warts were camouflaged by turnovers. When the offense had a bad day against the Gmen in the playoffs we were sunk.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
strat1080 wrote:

Yes, but the year we went 15-1 because of Rodgers' otherworldly play our defense wasn't so wonderful. A lot of the warts were camouflaged by turnovers. When the offense had a bad day against the Gmen in the playoffs we were sunk.

see bolded
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Man wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:
I actually don't think Driver's comments were much out of line. He was just trying to understand Jennings point of view. I wouldn't lump Driver into Jennings boat on this, he was just saying that sometimes it is expected for a leader to shoulder some blame for one of his teammates' mistakes. Whether or not it was your fault that the WR ran the wrong route, it is more important to help him out and take some of the blame as a member of the team. There is no I in team, and being a part of the team means the blame has to be shared regardless of who exactly is to point the finger at.

That's a very fair assessment I'd say ...

and hey I see you're from New Richmond, I graduated right down the road from ya in baldwin lol!

Middle Border Conference is the worst

Razz

Awwwwww come on now, you a Big Rivers guy or what?

Actually I attended a middle border school my first 3 years of high school until my senior year when we switched. We were the smallest school in the MBC.
Duff Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:
I actually don't think Driver's comments were much out of line. He was just trying to understand Jennings point of view. I wouldn't lump Driver into Jennings boat on this, he was just saying that sometimes it is expected for a leader to shoulder some blame for one of his teammates' mistakes. Whether or not it was your fault that the WR ran the wrong route, it is more important to help him out and take some of the blame as a member of the team. There is no I in team, and being a part of the team means the blame has to be shared regardless of who exactly is to point the finger at.

and hey I see you're from New Richmond, I graduated right down the road from ya in baldwin lol!

Razz

Actually I attended a middle border school my first 3 years of high school until my senior year when we switched. We were the smallest school in the MBC.

Hmmm, St Croix Falls or Unity possibly? The Middle Border has gone through some changes over the years lol
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Man wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:
Duff Man wrote:
Abalow7 wrote:

Razz

Hmmm, St Croix Falls or Unity possibly? The Middle Border has gone through some changes over the years lol

St Croix Falls.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
Pugger wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
strat1080 wrote:

see bolded

Huh? What am I missing here....? Think

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
Pugger wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
strat1080 wrote:

see bolded

Huh? What am I missing here....? Think

He (and I) were talking about our 2010 team and defense, not the 15-1 (2011) season.
Willink

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Woodson interview:

Quote:
I would say this: Theres been times throughout my career there when defensively we put a [inappropriate/removed]-poor product on the field, and weve been in games and won ballgames solely on the arm of Aaron Rodgers and the legs of Aaron Rodgers and what hes been able to do throwing a ball to a Greg, a Donald, a Jermichael, Woodson said. A couple years ago, we were 15- 1, and if we have any other quarterback other than Aaron Rodgers, were 7-9

Quote:
I mean, Gregs not even there anymore. Hes a Minnesota Viking. They paid him a lot of money to be there. You dont have any worries. He should be just fine. He should leave all things Packers alone. He should keep that to himself and if he wants to take it out on (Rodgers), do it the week they play. Im just not understanding all these attacks on A-Rod.

Quote:
If I have not lost my mind I can sometimes hear it preparing to defect
spilltray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:

That 2011 defense wasn't nearly as bad as they are made out to be. People look at the yardage and say it was an all time bad type of defense, but really, tied for 1st in takeaways, 11th in sacks, 19th in PPG, it was a middle of the road defense that allowed alot of soft yards.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SDN40

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should surprise anyone that Woodson came out and backed Rodgers. They are one and the same. Both leaders, whose skillset is and was superior to those around them, same position or not. They are automatically leaders by example in that they are great players, either by work ethic or natural born talent. The downside, which hampers all great players, is they sometimes can expect the same of others who may not be able to reach the same heights of success. Its the same exact downfall great players have trying to be good coaches.

While Rodgers hard work is well documented, I'm sure its a double edged sword as a leader. He comes from a place of not being the tallest, fastest, most recruited, etc etc. I would guess that would instill compassion for others of the same cloth. He has said that no matter a street FA or first round pick, he makes it a priority to learn about the man, his family, his hobbies, etc. The downside is he possibly expects the same hard work that brought him success, unfortunately not all people posses the same drive. Not all leaders have been beloved. I'm not saying Rodgers is or isn't, just a simple fact.

I still feel Jennings comments are more to convince himself that he can thrive with a sub-par QB, something that we will find out very soon. That, and of course, the ever present, deciding factor of most professional athletes, the boat load of cash he felt he deserved and didnt get. Interestingly enough, if the stories are true, that was his fault as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops came in here to quote and post the Woodson interview, saw it has already been done.

Anyway mad respect to Woodson...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
strat1080 wrote:

Yes the defense was very good that year but the a team as a whole I thought people were overrating it. Especially the offensive talent.

There were a lot of folks out there trying to act like Rodgers had the 1983 Redskins or 1999 Rams around him.

The Packers had a garbage run game and a trio of above average WRs. Like I said. I call it like I see it.

To this day people are still overrating the players around Rodgers on offense. I don't think P Manning or T Brady in their hey-day would put up 2011-2012 Rodgers numbers with the case he has around him. P Manning had two HOF WRs on the same team in 2004. T Brady had one of the Top 5 greatest WRs of all time in 2007. What Rodgers is doing is simply spectacular. Nobody on this offense other than Rodgers will ever even come close to sniffing the HOF.

That is what folks like yourself just can't comprehend. I'm not knocking the team down. Just saying its not as good as everybody was saying it was. I think my comments rang clear as a bell.

The 2011 season was a total waste of a tremendous QB season. Trent Dilfer said it best. AFter that season at a charity event with Rodgers, he said that the Packers became a soft team and relied on the fact that their QB is so much better than every team they face every week.

Heck. Even Charles Woodson, a defensive player on those teams, agrees with me. That's an average team without Aaron Rodgers.

I guess what bothers me. Is you take P Manning and everybody raves about how much he carried his teams but all people do is knock Rodgers and say he has amazing talent around him. I just don't see it. Rodgers is putting up numbers on par with what P Manning did in his hey-day with MUCH MUCH LESS around him. P Manning had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne at WR. Two 1st round picks and HOF caliber players. He had Edgerrin James at RB. Another 1st round pick and one of the Top 15 all time rushers in NFL history. He had Dallas Clark at TE. A Pro Bowl TE and yet another 1st round pick.

IMO, Rodgers had had less help around him than Manning did in those years and is putting up numbers on par or better than Manning without the aid of playing indoors. I just don't get it. Like I said. I think people have overrated the talent on this team. Its not as stacked as some folks think it is. Other than at the QB position, I can't really think of any position group we're strong at. Unlike many, I dont' consider our WR group an elite unit. James Jones is a nobody outside Green Bay. That's why nobody signed him when he was a UFA. Nelson is an above average player that can't stay healthy. Randall Cobb has the potential to be a star in this league but is more of a slot guy. Don't get me started on Finley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: