Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Schemes: Random Musings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Schemes: Random Musings Reply with quote

I thought it would be good to make a thread for random thoughts on schemes, both offense and defense, that we particularly like, want the Ravens to use, want the Ravens to stop using (i.e. Frank Walker on the field), etc.

I was recently thinking, with how comfortable Joe seems to be in the hurry up, I think using this particular personnel grouping one or two drives a game could be pretty effective.

WR- Smith
WR- Jones
TE- Dickson/Clark
FB/TE- Juice
RB- Rice

So that grouping on its own doesn't look that special, but those guys have some decent alignment diversity. We could come out in a traditional I set with Dickson/Clark at TE, the two WR out wide, and Juice and Rice in the backfield. We could also go four wide with the two WR, the TE and either Juice or Rice out as well (with one of them remaining in the backfield). We could even go out 5 wide. We could give a more power set as well with both the TE and Juice lined up as TE's.

My point is essentially that this personnel grouping could be put on the field in a no-huddle situation and exploit whichever defense the opponent wants to put out there at the beginning of the drive. If they come out with a run defense, then we can spread out the field and force their LBs' to go out with our TE's. Conversely, if they come out in a nickle set, then we can run it at them consistently.

Anyway, this is just one thought I was having, feel free to post your own ideas, things you like, things you don't like, etc. as the season goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Schemes: Random Musings Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

WR- Smith
WR- Jones
TE- Dickson/Clark
FB/TE- Juice
RB- Rice

If Dickson is the TE, then swap Jones out for Stokley. Use Dickson on a deep route down the middle, and Stokley to run an in across the back of the line of scrimmage.

With Smith and Dickson stretching the defense, and three short/intermediate targets in Stokley, Rice and Juszczyk, I'd think that would be a tough job for any defense to cope with.

Rice could move out into the slot or stay in and block/catch a screen, same goes for Juszczyk. Dickson can run shorter routes too, but has the speed and athleticism to burn LBs and Safeties, and even CBs.

But I also really want to see Torrey Smith catching more shorter passes, because he's got the speed to be a YAC menace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Schemes: Random Musings Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

WR- Smith
WR- Jones
TE- Dickson/Clark
FB/TE- Juice
RB- Rice

If Dickson is the TE, then swap Jones out for Stokley. Use Dickson on a deep route down the middle, and Stokley to run an in across the back of the line of scrimmage.

Yea, the 2nd WR is the one I was debating in my head about the most of those 5 spots. Who knows, maybe my man LaQuan Williams can force his way into that spot Cool

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Dickson gets healthy our best option in the hurry-up will be Torrey and whoever of the young guys (Doss/Thompson/LaQuan/Mellette) steps up and takes the job away from Jacoby on the outside (at least I hope so) and then Stokley in the slot, with Rice in the backfield and Dickson at tight end. Flacco is generally most comfortable working the no-huddle when he's got 3 wideouts on the field.

In a two tight end or one TE/one H-Back we can remove Stokley and put Juscyczck or Clark on the field. Stokley and Clark are generally redundant pieces as they both occupy the role of grizzly old white guy who runs good routes and has good hands and used to play for the Colts, so we don't necessarily need them on the field at the same time but I think it'll be useful to have one of them on the field at most times, as they offer something that no one else does for now. I have a weird feeling that Flacco and Stokley are going to develop a really solid partnership.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I think if Dickson gets healthy our best option in the hurry-up will be Torrey and whoever of the young guys (Doss/Thompson/LaQuan/Mellette) steps up and takes the job away from Jacoby on the outside (at least I hope so) and then Stokley in the slot, with Rice in the backfield and Dickson at tight end. Flacco is generally most comfortable working the no-huddle when he's got 3 wideouts on the field. =

I don't think that's going to happen. Not because Jones is great or anything but I'm not particularly enamored with the talent of any of the young receivers. Plus Jones has too much play-making ability to be taken off of the field too much when there aren't any other non-Torrey receivers on the roster that definitely deserve to be out there over him.

To stay on topic does anybody have any real faith in Matti... er, Pees, to put together the talent on defense into what they should be? I'm firmly in the camp that their success will be because of the players' own talent and not that they'll be put in a position to succeed. Pees had the injury excuse for last season but this year he should be on the hot seat.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what's strange to me?

All y'all wanted more speed at WR because "it creates separation", so we released Anquan and gave Deonte Thompson a shot, and now everyone here wants to see Tandon Doss, Aaron Mellette, and LaQuan Williams play over Jacoby Jones.

Pretty funny if you ask me.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I've been musing over is if Jones plays a lot as the #2 WR he probably won't be used as a full-time returner. Is the team better off with him being the #2 WR with limited returner duties or as the #3 WR with full-time returner duties? For me it's hard to say. His talents are obviously better served as a returner but he's not a terrible receiver either and the team is lacking any clear options behind he and Smith.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Something I've been musing over is if Jones plays a lot as the #2 WR he probably won't be used as a full-time returner. Is the team better off with him being the #2 WR with limited returner duties or as the #3 WR with full-time returner duties? For me it's hard to say. His talents are obviously better served as a returner but he's not a terrible receiver either and the team is lacking any clear options behind he and Smith.

I think it's better to use him as a kick returner and let a guy like Deonte Thompson take the punts or maybe even Tandon Doss.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

If I have to pick one, the latter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
To stay on topic does anybody have any real faith in Matti... er, Pees, to put together the talent on defense into what they should be? I'm firmly in the camp that their success will be because of the players' own talent and not that they'll be put in a position to succeed. Pees had the injury excuse for last season but this year he should be on the hot seat.

I think the pass rushing talent we have this year will make it happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I think the pass rushing talent we have this year will make it happen.

We'd better hope it happens, because I really don't want to see all the talent on this defense go to waste because of poor scheming and blitz packages.

I freaking miss organized chaos so much Sad
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So regarding the OP, it's official... I really want Marlon Brown to take that spot!

Was able to dig up one of the rare scouting reports on him:

I like this part in particular

Quote:
He also shows some skill to catch the ball at the first available window with his hands away from his body.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/08/23/reads-listens-views-8232013/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: