Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT- Preseason Week 2: BAL Ravens vs ATL Falcons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which big money QB has the better game tonight?
Matt Ryan
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Joe Flacco
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Mellette just get called out by Harbaugh a few days ago for being lazy in practice? Doubt Harbs will make him #2 over Jacoby if he doesn't like his work in practice

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Get [Mellette] off the field," said Harbaugh. "Hes lackadaisical. Hes lazy."

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
Quote:

Well, so much for the "Aaron Mellette for #2 WR" campaign....it's over...welcome to Harbs' doghouse!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
StRawz11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Quote:

Well, so much for the "Aaron Mellette for #2 WR" campaign....it's over...welcome to Harbs' doghouse!

At least we have Tandon Doss!

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StRawz11 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
StRawz11 wrote:
Quote:

At least we have Tandon Doss!

Said no one ever.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Harbaugh was calling out a lot of guys that day. Think it was after the first preseason game. Still, that's not something you want to hear the coach say (especially him) regardless of the context.
santiagomn8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so upsetting to see that no wide receiver came to play besides Torrey smith. I know the team as a whole didnt really do much but you would think with the receiver competition being so open someone would try to shine but no one does. A lot of these recievers do so well in practice but can't seem to translate that to the field. As of right now wide receiver is our biggest need next offseason and I wouldn't mind trading up and getting a top tier receiver to pair with Torrey and make a great tandem
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
IIRC Harbaugh was calling out a lot of guys that day. Think it was after the first preseason game. Still, that's not something you want to hear the coach say (especially him) regardless of the context.

You do recall correctly. He also shut ray rice down early because of the olines poor play, saying something to the effect of "Jim [caldwell], get ray out of here, he's too valuable!"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Smith, man. I've been a believer in this guy, but he's not making it easy. Got torched badly in this game.

But, here are a couple of mitigating factors that I'm going to clutch at: Julio Jones is one of the best receivers in the league. Jimmy was being asked to play off-man, which doesn't suit him at all, and the fact he seemed to be getting beat because her gave Julio too much room supports that. Get him in press-man, and we might see better performance levels.

And I think he's spent most of his NFL game time at left CB, so playing on the right might be more difficult for him. Hell, there are guys who've been in the league ten years who can't play both sides.

Not impressed with the O-line, and it seems Harbs wasn't either. On the plus side, this should go some way to ensuring Gradkowski gets the starting job at Center. With him in there, along with Yanda, I'd be far more confident in both their run and pass blocking.

Mellette and Furstenburg need to be given time with the first team, and the opportunity to catch some passes from Joe Flacco. Because Doss, Jones and Shiancoe clearly aren't making the most of the opportunities they've had. And I think they need to see more of what Juszczyk can do with the ball.

Love, love, love the physicality and explosiveness of Brown and Elam. Those guys are going to be stars, and I hope they earn the starting jobs by the end of camp. Those two plays in the 2nd quarter just ruined that Falcons' drive (and knocked the snot out of Jacquizz Rodgers to boot). Fantastic to watch.

Tyrod Taylor running plays out of the Pistol was interesting. Fun to watch, but not much more than a novelty, I guess. It would amuse me to see Flacco run the option, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely think that Furstenburg needs to see more action. He's shown that he can catch the ball something Visanthe (however you pronounce it) hasn't thus far.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hope is that Mellette gets some time with the 1st team in the next preseason game. There's a fair difference between tearing it up against street free agents and 2nd/3rd stringers and going up against 1st team defenses, so we still need to see what we've got in him and whether what he's showing us right now can translate into being a contributor to the team this year. We already know for the most part who Jacoby Jones is as a receiver and there's not much about that evaluation that's going to change between now and Week 1. Mellette is the only guy of the receivers who has really stepped in and consistently seized on his opportunities so far. Hopefully he puts in a good week of practice and convinces the coaches to give him a more extended look.

Also I'm loving what we're seeing from Furstenburg but unless he shows the coaches more as a blocker I'm not sure what room we've got for him on the roster. May have to try to stash him on the PS for now and hope he makes it there without being claimed. I'm assuming Clark will make the team and that it's between him, Shiancoe, and Bajema for one roster spot. Furst just looks so natural as a pass-catcher though, I want to find a way to keep him around.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah here's my final thoughts:

1) Mellette needs to see increased reps and playing time. 2 touchdowns in 2 games along with drawing PI's and no penalties on him, you gotta give this kid a chance, especially when our 1st team WR's right now aren't putting up anything except Torrey.

2) Jimmy Smith is really disappointing. He's really on the verge of being a bust at this point. His confidence just keeps getting shot because he can't make plays. Maybe the team is putting too much on his shoulders asking him to shadow good WR's, but idk, man, Jimmy was a 1st rounder for a reason.

3) Matt Furstenburg needs to also get more reps because he can catch the ball and We've already seen Shiancoe drop atleast 5 passes in the preseason. Furstenburg has reliable hands, and as a team that needs a TE that can play in the slot and on the line, you gotta have that.

4) Tyrod Taylor has REALLY impressed me this year so far. Obviously he's always going to be able to run really well, but his passing mechanics seem a lot better, along with his accuracy. I would really like to see him playing an increased role in the read option game and pistol offense. That would be exciting to watch.

BlaqOptic wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
My hope is that Mellette gets some time with the 1st team in the next preseason game. There's a fair difference between tearing it up against street free agents and 2nd/3rd stringers and going up against 1st team defenses, so we still need to see what we've got in him and whether what he's showing us right now can translate into being a contributor to the team this year. We already know for the most part who Jacoby Jones is as a receiver and there's not much about that evaluation that's going to change between now and Week 1. Mellette is the only guy of the receivers who has really stepped in and consistently seized on his opportunities so far. Hopefully he puts in a good week of practice and convinces the coaches to give him a more extended look.

Also I'm loving what we're seeing from Furstenburg but unless he shows the coaches more as a blocker I'm not sure what room we've got for him on the roster. May have to try to stash him on the PS for now and hope he makes it there without being claimed. I'm assuming Clark will make the team and that it's between him, Shiancoe, and Bajema for one roster spot. Furst just looks so natural as a pass-catcher though, I want to find a way to keep him around.

Cutting Shiancoe looks like a serious possibility right now. I would rather us keep Pitta, Dickson, Clark, and Furstenburg than any other combination. I like Bajema, but the other 4 TE's are simply better than he is.

BlaqOptic wrote:
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Smith looked like crap. But to be fair, they stuck him on an island with Julio Jones most of the first half. Most corners are going to get schooled in that scenario, which I don't think we'd ever see in a game with Webb on the field that we were trying to win.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Jimmy Smith looked like crap. But to be fair, they stuck him on an island with Julio Jones most of the first half. Most corners are going to get schooled in that scenario, which I don't think we'd ever see in a game with Webb on the field that we were trying to win.

But here's the thing, Jimmy was drafted because of his man coverage skills and press skills. Julio ATE HIM ALIVE in man coverage and once in zone coverage, too.

Jimmy just doesn't look like he's living up to his 1st round pick, like at all. Sure, sometimes Julio is going to beat guys, but he shouldn't beat them that easily all the time unless they are backup CB's, which Jimmy is proving to be.

BlaqOptic wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: