Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT- Preseason Week 2: BAL Ravens vs ATL Falcons
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which big money QB has the better game tonight?
Matt Ryan
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Joe Flacco
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: GDT- Preseason Week 2: BAL Ravens vs ATL Falcons Reply with quote

Baltimore Ravens

Atlanta Falcons

Where: M&T Bank Stadium (The Lion's Den)
When: August 15, 2013- 7:30 PM EST
TV: WBAL (NBC) and CSN Baltimore
Weather: 73 GT (High of 81)- No showers expected for the day, winds of less than 5 MPH. Weather should have no effect on play.

Feature: The battle of the 'NFL's richest'... Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan both got some heft new deals this offseason. Both QBs have also eternally been linked via both being drafted in the 2008 NFL Draft as 1st round QBs. None of that really should impact the actual game, but worth noting.

Key Competitions:
Center
Week two of the center battle. AQ Shipley will be getting the start for this game as opposed to Gino. The performance of each will determine who gets to squeeze in between perhaps the best guard tandem in the NFL.

ILB
Last week Daryl Smith essentially won a starting ILB spot with his play. Unless he really craps the bed, he should still be safe. Meaning the competition should start to heat up between the remaining three players for the remaining starting spot. Josh Bynes, Albert McClellan, and Arthur Brown should all get plenty of opportunities, it'll be interesting to see if any player will WIN the starting #2 ILB spot with his play in these preseason games.

Corner
Webb didn't play any in the first preseason game. It's possible he plays this game, but I'd doubt it. The team seems content with moving him along slowly, he probably won't play until the last preseason contest where the starters tend to get more playing time. Also of note, last week all the talk was that Chykie Brown had put himself in a position to compete for the #2 corner spot. He had a bad game and that talk has seemed to die down. So as it stands Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham should be in direct competition with one another for that starting spot opposite Webb. How the two perform throughout the game will be huge. Graham had a solid week 1 game and Smith started off a little slow, but then started to look quite strong in coverage. It'll be interesting to see if any momentum might have been gained from their week one performances as they compete in this second game.

WR
Outside of Torrey Smith, who looked to have made some nice leaps in his route running, the WR position didn't look very settled in the first preseason game. Tandon Doss didn't stand out and Deonte Thompson had two dropped passes before catching his third and injuring his ankle on the play. Jacoby Jones didn't make plays either. So beyond Smith the position looks pretty wide open and with the addition of Brandon Stokley, the game of his life from LaQuan Williams, and the solid play from Marlon Brown down the stretch, it'll be interesting to see how the WR opportunities are spread out in the game.

Safety
Huff's starting safety spot looks about as guaranteed as they come. So this competition is really between Ihedigbo and first round pick Matt Elam. Elam has yet to WIN the starting job from Ihedigbo, so he really only has this game tonight and the third game to win the job before we'll likely have established our starting unit for the final preseason encounter. Needless to say, making an impact throughout will be important for Elam in winning the strong safety spot.

TE
There appears to be less of a competition now and more of a roll establishment. Shianco looks to be moving into more of the in-line blocking roll and the new addition of Clark should have him be the roaming TE option for mismatches. What will be interesting is whether or not the team allows Furstenburg to really compete for one of those two TE roles. He's made some impact plays throughout training camp and in the first preseason game, but he hasn't really been given a fair shake to this point. With Dallas Clark unsure if he'll play in this game, perhaps Furstenburg can see plenty of opportunities tonight to really thrust himself in consideration for one of those TE roles. It will also be interesting to see if Kyle Juszczyk will see any time in a flex role or if he's just going to be a special teams dynamo for this season as he improves his technique as a run blocker.

DL
Terrence Cody and Brandon Williams should be in a very tight battle throughout training camp to see who will win that #2 NT spot to rotate in with Ngata. Cody looked to have had the advantage over Williams in the first half, but the second half saw Cody struggle some.

Other than the NT spot, Chris Canty definitely looks like he will be one of the two starting DEs with how disruptive he looked on his few plays out there. Arthur Jones also looked like he wouldn't be relinquishing his starting spot anytime soon. With a strong rotation likely, it appears the current depth chart should hold true.

After having had a chance to see the competitions in week one play out, which competitions are you most excited to see this time around? Any change? And what players do you anticipate having big games? Which big money QB do you think puts up the better meaningless stats, Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco? Thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish this was preseason game 3. I'd love to make a big statement against them.

I expect another blowout against a team that falls way short of matching our depth. We should dominate in the trenches.

Looking forward to seeing Dallas Clark.

Free Ray Rice
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looking forward to seeing how the TE's look catching balls from Joe.

I would like to see the pass rush look strong again, which I think it did at all levels (starters-backups-TC guys) in the last game.

I want to see more from Jacoby Jones in the passing game. As a whole, I will be watching the receivers very closely in this one (beyond just JJ). LaQuan Williams looked very good in the last game and part of me wonders if that's just him improving or if he was somewhat hindered by Cam's schemes as he seems like a shiftier guy who doesn't run the deep patterns and end-arounds as well as some other receivers. If he can successfully run some slants, out patterns, etc. I think that he could definitely have a spot on this team (ST contribution is huge as well).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their top WRs lit us up the last time we faced off in preseason, so our CBs should get a good test. I especially want to see Jimmy Smith not get burned.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually predicting Ryan will have the better game, if that's a term that can accurately be applied to the dozen or so snaps the starting QBs might take.

Because Ryan will probably come in, throw a few long passes to his elite receivers, and then step out. The Ravens will be more balanced, and seem to be trying to develop their underneath passing game more than the deep ball.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Their top WRs lit us up the last time we faced off in preseason, so our CBs should get a good test. I especially want to see Jimmy Smith not get burned.

I swear someone from BR.com read my post and put this as the top point in their matchup preview. Laughing
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Stokely and Clark going to play?

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

Yes and I think so.

They're both dressed. Stokley will most likely get 1st team reps and Clark might get 2nd team reps or maybe not even play tonight.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 17m
Dallas Clark and Brandon Stokley are both dressed out. Would think Stokley plays for sure, could be a bit soon for Clark, but we'll see

My guess is Clark sees a handful of snaps. Stokely maybe a bit more.
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck today guys. Here's to an injury free game.

Our RT sucks so get ready to have a field day!

Daboyle250 on the sig

Foster a Falcon: Thomas DeCoud

FakingInjuries wrote:

Without those elite targets, [Matt Ryan] is in the same tier as Matt Cassell.
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry "not that guy" Sandusky and the tecmo bowl music are getting me pretty amped for this game.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love me some jo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggs looks absolutely beastly this season.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Ryan channeling his inner "Joe Flacco in his rookie year" with that checkdown on 3rd down. Awesome defensive showing!

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfection

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: