Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joyner's size is definitely going to work against him being a 1st rounder. He'd probably be a consideration in the mid-2nd, and even then it might not happen because pairing him with Elam would be one of the smaller S combos in the league. With the growing preponderance of 6'3" and taller WRs and TEs, I don't know if we can be that small on the back end of the defense, no matter how talented they may be.

As far as De'Anthony Thomas goes, I'm not high on him at all. I think he's got great speed and not much else. Not only that, but we already have a guy like him on the roster in Deonte Thompson, so the need just isn't there. There are just too many good WRs that will be available in the 3rd round and later to reach on a player that brings nothing different to the table. Guys like Jared Abbrederis, Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief, or Paul Richardson are much better options than Thomas will ever be, and would be far better values on the 3rd day than Thomas. I'm sure someone will overdraft him, but I see him as a 6th-7th rounder at best.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/What-Really-Matters-In-Ravens-Next-Receiver-/67fe7506-10c4-460c-adee-a14a5d88581e

Quote:
“Forget about his size, forget about his speed,” Hortiz said. “Can he make the play?”

Quote:
“We want the guy that can make the play on third down, that understands how to get open against zone, who understands gaps in the zone, can settle in it and influence guys,” Hortiz said. “If it’s man, he can win in one-on-one situations. If somebody presses him, it’s going to be a risk.

“In football, it’s about gaining that initial separation, especially in those situations in third-and-7 because you’re shooting for the first down and not the end zone. They need to be able to get separation to give Joe a window to throw to. He can be eight yards away or a half-yard away, but he has to create a window for Joe and makes the play.”

This was posted a few days ago but I just got around to reading it today. Sounds like they're looking for a crafty guy more than anything else. I think Flaccomania has been on his bandwagon but Brandin Cooks could really fit that description. Obviously Jordan Matthews is a good candidate for that too. My preference is a receiver that would be firmly entrenched on the outside but who knows what they're thinking about. I'm not sure there's been a more up-in-the air Baltimore offseason in the recent past. We all know they want want upgrade the offensive line and receiver group... but with who?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Horitz [Director of College Scouting] on Jordan Matthews:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Joe-Hortizs-Take-On-Alluring-Senior-Bowl-Prospects/f58041de-5e55-4ed5-87dd-81f56759a731

Quote:
“Jordan is a guy that has been ultra-productive throughout his career. He was a catalyst for something that Vanderbilt has never done before, going to two straight bowl games and winning two straight. He’s very productive and does it in a variety of ways. They run a lot of quick pass and slip screens. He’s a guy that’s fun because he catches the ball well, but he’s a really good player with the ball in his hands after the catch. He’s a big man with a good catch radius and a good athlete with the ball in his hands. He has a good future ahead of him.”

The first line about being ultra-productive during his career is something that resembles a lot of prospects that end up being Ravens' picks. Long, very productive college careers.

I don't think there's a question that our FO is aware that he'd be a great fit for us, it's just a question of where he'd be good value and if we end up with a pick there.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Also related to Jordan Matthews...
Matthews emulates cousin wrote:
Matthews certainly takes the initiative.

He contacted Senior Bowl Executive Director Phil Savage to request film on the cornerbacks that he would be practicing against in the Senior Bowl. When he didn’t get it, he pulled up as many YouTube clips as he could find.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Honestly, that thought didn't even pop into my head. This is literally the first time I've heard of someone requesting this info.

And then he scours for gametape? Yeah... I haven't been a fan of taking a WR beyond pick #20 in the first round, didn't find any of them worth it... Matthews has been my top WR in this class for the past few months with Watkins at 1A... depending on fit (therefore I like Matthews more for us)... and news like this makes me want to change my stance. It almost makes me just want to stay pat at 17 and take him.

Hopefully the junior WRs have nice combines and drives Matthews stock down a little. I'd love to be able to trade back and pick up a mid round pick while still getting Matthews in the process.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now assuming the reports are correct, what WRs do you guys think Kubiak's scheme the best?

GO RAVENS!!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, I think Marlon Brown compares favorably to Kevin Walter when he was producing. So there's that.

It probably doesn't change what type of receiver they're looking for though. What we assume the Ravens need and what type of receiver typically fits best in a West Coast scheme are practically the same thing. A reliable chain-mover.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Now assuming the reports are correct, what WRs do you guys think Kubiak's scheme the best?

Yeah, same thing as c0 mentioned.

Though looking at the Texans, for such a long time they had Jacoby and Walter paired with Andre and were always in need of a receiver to be that chain moving guy... they took DeAndre Hopkins.

So a guy fitting that same profile might be something worth noting. Two guys that come to mind are, of course, Jordan Matthews (my favorite receiver) and Davante Adams. Both players could be in play... though they were likely in play anyway.

So yeah, nothing changes. Our needs are the same.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought this was interesting

Quote:
Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 2m
According to @jamisonhensley Ravens will get 4 Comp picks, including 1 for Ed Reed. Had thought being released by HOU would disqualify him

I thought the same thing...

GO RAVENS!!
dcfields

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davante Adams - Impressive player. 21 year old, early entry, RS sophomore. Extremely productive. 233 catches for 3,030 yds and 38 TDs... in 2 years. Definitely benefitted from the system and one of the best QBs in the draft. Played against weaker competition in Mountain West. Showed improvement from freshman to sophomore year. Decent acceleration off the line. Elusive in the open field with enough speed to break the long one. Usually given a big cushion yet has the deep speed needed to get behind defenders. Has the ability to split defenders. Good run after the catch ability. Has quick juke move and can usually escape the 1st defender. Very good change of direction. Slippery. Able to break arms tackles and get extra yards. Lean arms. Would benefit from a pro conditioning program. Could easily put 10-15 pounds of quality muscle on his frame. Blocking ability unknown. Natural hand catcher with big, strong hands. Able to make the over-the-shoulder catch. Very good body control. Tracks the ball in flight well. Has the dexterity to snag the off-target pass. Boxes out (basketball background in high school). Makes one handed catches looks routine. Has the focus and concentration to catch the ball in small spaces and in traffic. Not often held up at line. Quick feet yet needs to fine tune his route running. Needs to improve his hip flexibility and knee bend. Could be more explosive out of cuts yet fluid and smooth. Excels at fade in red zone. Closes coverage cushion quickly but needs to work on getting DBs inside shoulder on in routes. "Buzzes" feet (short, choppy steps) prior to cut but needs to drop his posterior and lower his shoulders toward his toes more to develop better cuts. Needs to work on driving his feet at the correct angle and rotating his hips into the cut to improve initial separation. Adjusts to get uncovered. Physical. Not easily knocked off pattern. Positional awareness unknown but appears more instinctive than coached. Sits down and faces the QB. Times leaps well to high point ball. Plays hard and fights for ball. Goes into a crowd and shows that he wants the ball more than his opponent. Will dip his shoulder and look for contact. Tough. Physical after the catch. Good at getting YAC. Can turn the short pass into a big gain. Sacrifices body for ball. Big target. Creates mismatches with most corners. Uses his body to screen off defenders. Mainly played the X (Split End) but can play in multiple alignments. Durability not a concern. Long arms. Good vertical. Good balance after contact. Very good receiver in excellent receiver draft class. Similar to Keenan Allen. Not quite Dez Bryant. May need to develop somewhat but will start eventually. Feature receiver in Fresno State's aerial assault. Dynamic with ball in his hands. Playmaker. Needs more consistency (runs hot and cold). Began to draw double coverage late in his career. Projected to be drafted in the 2nd round.
dcfields

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something noteworthy: 4 of the projected top 13 Offensive Tackles for the 2014 NFL draft did NOT declare and decided to return for their senior seasons instead. (Projections as of 12/31/13)

Cameron Erving - Florida State (#3)
Cedric Ogbuehi - Texas A&M (#7)
La'El Collins - LSU (#10)
Sean Hickey - Syracuse (#13)

This is key for the Ravens because it significantly thins the talent pool at a position of need. Essentially, it means either draft one early or the Ravens may not get one in the draft at all.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, like I've been saying a lot lately, they don't even go after a tackle and instead kick Osemele back out to the right side and get a guard that fits Kubiak's system with a center coming via free agency. I'm not sure Osemele can do the things that are needed for an interior lineman to fit what Kubiak likes to do. In most cases I prefer Osemele as a guard but this isn't one of them unless the team really believes he can move well around well enough.

David Yankey is probably the only first round option for an offensive guard. He seems like a pretty decent fit for what the Ravens will need going forward. Zack Martin could be a conversion option too. Other than those two it's hard to say. I know what Newsome said in the big press conference a little while back about wanting to get bigger inside but I think the Kubiak hiring changes things a lot.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Or, like I've been saying a lot lately, they don't even go after a tackle and instead kick Osemele back out to the right side and get a guard that fits Kubiak's system with a center coming via free agency. I'm not sure Osemele can do the things that are needed for an interior lineman to fit what Kubiak likes to do. In most cases I prefer Osemele as a guard but this isn't one of them unless the team really believes he can move well around well enough.

David Yankey is probably the only first round option for an offensive guard. He seems like a pretty decent fit for what the Ravens will need going forward. Zack Martin could be a conversion option too. Other than those two it's hard to say. I know what Newsome said in the big press conference a little while back about wanting to get bigger inside but I think the Kubiak hiring changes things a lot.

You're right on all accounts. I have been thinking Osemele may be the best option at RT for a couple of weeks. Before Kubiak but NOW especially with Kubiak. If my memory serves me correctly, Osemele had the longest arms of any lineman in the draft. That length is much more useful outside.

Yankey and Martin both went to "smart schools". I like 'em both a lot.
dcfields

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this for crazy talk? What about the possibility of Marshall Yanda playing RT? He has played there for us in a pinch. LT Monroe, LG Osemele, C F/A or Rookie, RG F/A or Rookie, RT Yanda.

Here's my logic. Suppose the Ravens come out of the 1st two rounds with a WR & TE (1st - Evans, M. Lee or Ebron. 2nd round - Robinson, Beckham, Matthews, B. Cooks, Landry, D. Adams, Amaro or Sefarian-Jenkins). I think the 3rd round options are much better for interior linemen (Gabe Jackson, Joel Bitonio, Dakota Dozier, Weston Richburg) than they are for WR or TE. The only tackles I like in the 3rd are Billy Turner & JuWuan James and I think you're asking a lot of a 3rd round tackle to start in this offense.

I doubt Yanda is moving out of the RG slot but necessity may rear it's ugly head. When you look at it this way, re-signing Michael Oher doesn't seem like a bad idea. At the right price, it makes sense. If Oher came back and the Ravens only had to replace one lineman, it would put us in position to succeed in a new offense.

How good would this look? LT Monroe, LG Osemele, C Richburg (3rd), RG Yanda, RT Oher. WRs Torrey Smith, Marlon Brown and Jordan Matthews (2nd). TEs Pitta and Ebron (1st).

Just putting it out there.
MilleniumD2000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say my favorite wr in this draft is Odell Beckham jr. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks. I think we should take a hard look at him if he's there in the 2nd.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilleniumD2000 wrote:
I have to say my favorite wr in this draft is Odell Beckham jr. He reminds me a lot of Hakeem Nicks. I think we should take a hard look at him if he's there in the 2nd.

I like Beckam a lot too, but he's nothing like Nicks at all.

Beckham is listed at 5'11", 190 pounds (he's probably smaller if that's his listed height/weight) and will probably run a sub-4.40 40 at the Combine.

By comparison, Nicks is 6'1"-6'2", 215-220 pounds, and a 4.50 guy.

Beckham will run faster, but compares more favorably to Kendall Wright or Randall Cobb than he does Nicks.

Jordan Matthews and Jared Abbrederis are better comparisons to Nicks of the WRs in this draft, size and speed wise at least.

But I agree with you that we should look long and hard at him in the 2nd round if we don't draft a WR in the 1st.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 14 of 25

Jump to: