Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2014 Draft Prospects thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
It looks like we might just have another need that I didn't necessarily anticipate. Free safety.

Matt Elam definitely appears to be a better fit as a roaming SS type of player that can go around and be your playmaker.

But with the FAIL of Michael Huff in this Denver game, I'm not sure he's even going to be a short term answer for us. Perhaps this was just a bad bad game for him, but perhaps not. He wasn't physical, didn't seek out contact, looked hesitant, wasn't incredibly instinctive, and didn't look somewhat lazy in this past game. All I know is we can't trust him.

I think Antone Exum would be the perfect compliment to what we have in Elam. A guy with nice size to cover TEs and is known as a pretty strong coverage option. He's a playmaker and gets his hands on a lot of balls. He'd make for a very nice second day option in the draft.

I agree about Michael Huff completely.

I also think we might have to consider the possibity that Pitta is going to be less of a weapon when he returns from his injury, and start looking for a front line TE prospect in the upcoming draft to add in to the mix with him and Furstenberg.

Dickson is a complimentary TE, not a starter. And Clark is a stopgap at best.

Assuming we don't use a 1st rounder on the position, a couple of guys who I'm keeping an eye on are Arthur Lynch and Jace Amaro, either of whom should be available in the middle of the draft. Lynch would be the more traditional, rounded prospect, with Amaro being more of a receiving threat in the intermediate area of the field. Both would be useful in replacing Dickson and/or Bajema.

I really like what I see from Arthur Lynch. Pro-style offense and he's a tremendous run blocker. He also has some sneaky route running ability. I think he'd be a perfect #2 option at TE. A guy that can be an awesome blocker, but when asked to release off the LOS, can find the soft spots in zone coverage and give you consistent hands.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated list based on production...

Jordan Matthews- 24 recs, 395 yds, 2 TD -> Ole Miss, Austin Peay, & SC

Jared Abbrederis- 16 recs, 271 yds, 3 TDs -> UMass, Tennessee Tech, Arizona St.

Sammy Watkins- 19 recs, 242 yds, 1 TD -> Georgia, SC State, NC State

Marqise Lee- 17 recs, 221 yds, 1 TDs -> Hawaii, Washington St., BC

Brandon Coleman- 12 recs, 139 yds, 2 TDs -> Fresno State, Norfolk St., Eastern Michigan

Cody Hoffman- 2 recs, 63 yds, 0 TD -> Texas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to talk up a guy from my alma mater as a late round sleeper.

Larry Webster DE/OLB Bloomsburg (PA)

He's 6'6", 245 lbs, and will run in the 4.6 range.

He just had 4 sacks on Saturday, and has 18.5 in just over a year since switching to football.

He's also the son of former Raven DL Larry Webster.

He started as a basketball player, and actually finished as the school's all time leader in blocked shots.

He's got a legit chance to be a situational pass rusher and would be a ST contributor while he develops physically and learns to play coverage. The only reason he won't be a 3rd or 4th rounder is because he only played two seasons of football at the D2 level.

If I had to compare him to someone, Michael Johnson or maybe Adalius Thomas would probably not be far off.

He's a hard worker and has no off field baggage to worry about. He's also the kind of late round gem Ozzie is known for, and is my favorite sleeper in this draft.
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Wouldn't be too troublesome for a scout to check him out either as he is only a few hours drive from Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooselovechild wrote:

He just had 4 sacks on Saturday, and has 18.5 in just over a year since switching to football.

He started as a basketball player, and actually finished as the school's all time leader in blocked shots.

He's got a legit chance to be a situational pass rusher and would be a ST contributor while he develops physically and learns to play coverage. The only reason he won't be a 3rd or 4th rounder is because he only played two seasons of football at the D2 level.

If I had to compare him to someone, Michael Johnson or maybe Adalius Thomas would probably not be far off.

He's a hard worker and has no off field baggage to worry about. He's also the kind of late round gem Ozzie is known for, and is my favorite sleeper in this draft.

Meh... I just checked out his tape vs Shippensburg and I wasn't really that impressed.

Usually when guys are playing at that kind of level and they're making a jump to the NFL, I like to see them be dominant players. Like Brandon Williams, no doubt looking at his tape that the guy was a man-child.

With Webster, he gets ridden by the QB too often and pushed around too often. I also don't find him to be all that explosive. Perhaps he CAN run a 4.6, but tbqh... looking at his tape, I see speed more along the lines of 4.85 or so.

His instincts also aren't the best. They aren't bad, but for what I perceive his athleticism to be, I would prefer better instincts. And lastly, I just felt like he left too many plays on the field when looking at this tape. For example at 1:34, he's giving a free lane to the QB after the inept LT from the other team was failing at football awareness... yet, he doesn't sack the QB. He's on the QBs blindside and the QB doesn't possess elite pocket skills, yet he sizes him up wrong and just a little hitch by the QB kept Webster from sacking him. Maybe this tape just doesn't speak to his skills as a player or maybe the opposing team is much better than I'm giving them credit for, but I wasn't impressed by this tape at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, I was just checking out some more safety prospects and two players that I really think would really compliment Matt Elam:
1. Tre Boston, North Carolina, 6'0" 205 lbs, Tape Speed: 4.54s (projected late 2nd to mid 4th)
2. Deone Bucannan, Washington State, 6'1" 198 lbs, Tape Speed: 4.51s (projected late 2nd to early 4th)

Both players are above 6'0", which was something I felt to be important... that way they can offer a different look to offenses and provide different matchups with their size.

I really love Boston's instincts. Bucannan's instincts aren't as good, but they're certainly solid. And both guys should potentially be in range for us at the tail end of the 3rd.

I'd love to nab either of these guys.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
gooselovechild wrote:

Meh... I just checked out his tape vs Shippensburg and I wasn't really that impressed.

Usually when guys are playing at that kind of level and they're making a jump to the NFL, I like to see them be dominant players. Like Brandon Williams, no doubt looking at his tape that the guy was a man-child.

With Webster, he gets ridden by the QB too often and pushed around too often. I also don't find him to be all that explosive. Perhaps he CAN run a 4.6, but tbqh... looking at his tape, I see speed more along the lines of 4.85 or so.

His instincts also aren't the best. They aren't bad, but for what I perceive his athleticism to be, I would prefer better instincts. And lastly, I just felt like he left too many plays on the field when looking at this tape. For example at 1:34, he's giving a free lane to the QB after the inept LT from the other team was failing at football awareness... yet, he doesn't sack the QB. He's on the QBs blindside and the QB doesn't possess elite pocket skills, yet he sizes him up wrong and just a little hitch by the QB kept Webster from sacking him. Maybe this tape just doesn't speak to his skills as a player or maybe the opposing team is much better than I'm giving them credit for, but I wasn't impressed by this tape at all.

Keep in mind db, he's onl in his 2nd year playing collegiate football. He started as a basketball player. He has some holes, but 18.5 career sacks in 16 games isn't bad regardless of level of competition.

I'm not suggesting a 3rd rounder on him, butcertaiy his measurables and production justify a late round flyer on a guy who is just getting his feet wet on the football field again.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the play of Gino being considered disappointing by more and more people and with John Harbaugh acknowledging that disappointing play, we could look to upgrade our center talent in this years draft.

With that in mind, Travis Swanson and Hroniss Grasu both look like potential options. They both would definitely upgrade the position.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqueze Dennard. Do want. I'm starting to think a third corner is going to be a pretty big need with Graham being a free agent/playing terrible and Webb's durability concerns.

And yes, I'm spinning my Michigan State homerism somewhat. Max Bullough looks to be solid ILB prospect too. If Smith isn't retained I'm going to be full-out campaigning for Bullough.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Darqueze Dennard. Do want. I'm starting to think a third corner is going to be a pretty big need with Graham being a free agent/playing terrible and Webb's durability concerns.

And yes, I'm spinning my Michigan State homerism somewhat. Max Bullough looks to be solid ILB prospect too. If Smith isn't retained I'm going to be full-out campaigning for Bullough.

I was actually trying to find a way to fit him into my mock draft... needless to say it didn't happen during this update.

But in terms of Dennard, I'm not familiar with him. I'll have to look into him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

Brandon Coleman- 12 recs, 139 yds, 2 TDs -> Fresno State, Norfolk St., Eastern Michigan

What do you think about deon long, wr, Maryland?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few receivers to keep an eye on, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, Paul Richardson, and Kelvin Benjamin. I really like Loucheiz Purifoy out of Florida as a corner / special teams demon, same with Karlos Williams only as a running back. I'm also high on Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Founder of the Loucheiz Purifoy, Chris Young, Frank Clark, Sean Price,
Donte Moncrief, and Karlos Williams bandwagons.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

What do you think about deon long, wr, Maryland?

You reminded me to update this list.

In terms of Deon Long, I've heard all the hype from many of my friends about this guy, I wanted to catch the game yesterday, but got caught helping someone move. He's on my watch list.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WR I love is Donte Moncrief. Freak athlete. Super physical. Love the way he competes for the ball. Hear great things about his work ethic.

Kasen Williams looks a little raw but a guy I like.

Free Ray Rice
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
A few receivers to keep an eye on, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, Paul Richardson, and Kelvin Benjamin. I really like Loucheiz Purifoy out of Florida as a corner / special teams demon, same with Karlos Williams only as a running back. I'm also high on Austin Seferian-Jenkins.

Honestly when watching him against LSU, I was starting to not be impressed... and call him overrated. He reminded me of Mercedes Lewis, beastly blocker (run and pass)... but he's got some under-rated speed. He definitely is an interesting prospect... though I'm still not sure I'd spend a 1st round pick on the guy. I just don't like his foot speed and quickness. He doesn't really get separation.

Granted, he is what? 260 lbs or so? And 6'6"... so more than likely he's going to come down with it, but I still prefer a guy with awesome quickness. It's why I loved Jimmy Graham so much coming out of Miami and was disappointed when we went with Dickson over him... now that Graham came what I was sure he'd become... and Dickson has become butterhands... I'm outrightly pissed by our decision. We had a shot at a potential HOF TE talent and passed on it for Dickson.

Anyway, getting off topic.

But if the choice came down to Mike Evans and ASJ, I'd go ASJ obviously. I think they're basically the same player... Evans doesn't get much separation and doesn't block as good as any TE I've seen. I like Evans, but I like him more as a 2nd round option.

EDIT: I'm also not sure about a guy like Richardson... just because he's an underclassmen junior, we rarely go with those types of guys in the draft.

Not that we shouldn't keep an eye on him, I'm just putting that out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: