Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Marcus Lattimore "feels close" to 100 percent.
"The left knee, it feels like nothing ever happened," Lattimore said. "The right knee, it feels great. Both feel balanced. I've got my speed and I rarely get any soreness (after workouts)." Lattimore shredded his right knee in 2011, and his left knee in 2012. He expects to be full-go when OTAs begin on April 21. With Frank Gore beginning to slow down, Lattimore and Kendall Hunter should get ample opportunity to run the ball in 2014.
Pray Pray Pray
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he could stay healthy and become Gore 2.0, that would be a huge for us. A smooth transition from our bell cow, and supposedly he is a great pass blocker as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
If he could stay healthy and become Gore 2.0, that would be a huge for us. A smooth transition from our bell cow, and supposedly he is a great pass blocker as well.

Yes, when 100% he is a three down back no doubt who can pass block and catch passes out of the backfield. I am still trying to figure out who he reminds me of with his running style? Arian Foster?
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Forge wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
NinerNation21 wrote:
I wish Aaron Donald was a fit for the 49ers. He looks GREAT at everything he does in the draft process. I really do this hes going to be a stud. Better than Clowney.

Looks great... just another reason to wish for a 4-3... but nope... not us.

We are in it quite often, though... Think

I don't think that's the case though. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I see we are in 4 down, it's usually in the nickel package. It sort of looks like a 4-3 under though because we technically have a 3-3-5 personnel in a 4-2-5 formation with Aldon down on the line with his hand in the grass (so we technically have 3 linebackers on the field, just with Aldon on the line). Plus, we still will drop one of the line guys into coverage which makes it look even more like we are in a 4-3 alignment (The TJE interception against Houston on the zone blitz I believe was a situation where this happened).

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on that though; I have seen other threads in the other forums that claim that we run a 4-3 and others who say we absolutely don't.

Looked to me that SF played out of a 4-2-5 most of the time... Justin and Ray inside... Aldon and Brooks outside. When in base D against conservative formations, they would be in their standard 3-4 With Fangio's clever schemes, he would show some 4-3 looks by having Aldon or Brooks in a 3 pt stance.

Yeah, I think this is a good analysis. We play our NT only about a third of the snaps - at least that was true in 2011 and 2012 (haven't seen numbers for this year). That third of the plays are the ones when we're playing our "true" 3-4. The other 2/3 of the time we've got 4 guys on the d-line with various alignments behind them. Sometimes it's a real 4-3-4. Often it's a 4-2-5, and sometimes we even have 6 dbs in there. The thing is that given how we change it up depending on down and distance I'm not sure it even makes sense any more to talk about wanting a 4-3 vs a 3-4, unless it's important to you to have that 4-3 instead of 3-4 for our "base defense" for the one third of the plays we use our base defense. I'm assuming we'd still be changing out of our "base defense" 2/3 of the time or so.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
Is anyone else warming up on the idea of trading up for Mike Evans? I was really impressed with him watching the combine. He had a nice 40, nice agility numbers, and looked good in the on-field drills. Maybe it wouldn't be an ideal situation, but if we traded up for him, I wouldn't be mad.

Yeah I've been feeling the same way lately. He's been impressing me a lot during the combine process. The only thing that holds me back from going all out on this idea is that a CB is more of a pressing issue and there are a lot of good WRs in the draft. If we are going to trade up for someone, I'd rather it be the top CB on our draft board.

I agree. I just said after watching the WR day at the combine that I would love for us to get him. I think he's going to have to fall into the bottom half of the draft though for us to be able to, or willing to, afford the price of moving up. Even the higher of our second round picks wouldn't be enough if he goes in the upper half of the first.

After watching his combine preformance, my guess is that he is not going to last to the bottom half of the first.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:

Which player was Lattimore compared to the most anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Which player was Lattimore compared to the most anyway?

Jakuvious wrote:
For style, think Emmitt Smith, I would say. Incredibly powerful, great vision, and phenomenally well-rounded in the passing game. Not the fastest or most agile, but he can surprise you with his lateral quickness from time to time. Gore is maybe the best current comparison, but I think Gore has a bit more top speed, while Lattimore has more power and balance. I've seen many comparisons to Foster, but they have different skillsets to me (Foster is in the Priest Holmes vein of a lateral moving vision guy, while Lattimore is going to look to punish someone when he gets in the open field.)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=533938&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better start transitioning most of the general draft talk back here, I guess.

a bit more vid on Phillip Gaines...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY5uFG16O4E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cully and gaines on the outside (2 big athletic cbs, yes please). brock on the inside.
whitner and reid in the backfield with another rookie hybrid. like ward or joyner

damn that sounds good to me

draft for depth up front and at lb. maybe bullough late, great college career but combine and sb bringing him down

new sig... sorry alex
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

That man has a nose for the ball.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

The pass he broke us against LA Tech was when covering our own Quinton Patton, who might be a good source for management if they are really interested in the kid.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

One thing I notice in watching this is that he has really good vision on the ball. I think this year that I saw some of our guys have really good coverage only to have the pass get completed any way because they never saw the ball. Gaines seems to be very good at picking up the ball in the air. We could use some of that - particularly on a guy as big and fast as he is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GANNDMK wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

The pass he broke us against LA Tech was when covering our own Quinton Patton, who might be a good source for management if they are really interested in the kid.

nice! I thought that might have been Patton, but the thought came and went quickly as the next play came along, and I never went back to check.

big9erfan wrote:

One thing I notice in watching this is that he has really good vision on the ball. I think this year that I saw some of our guys have really good coverage only to have the pass get completed any way because they never saw the ball. Gaines seems to be very good at picking up the ball in the air. We could use some of that - particularly on a guy as big and fast as he is.

Yes indeed. My only complaint with Culliver was that he could stick tight to a receiver anywhere on the field, but he couldn't seem to turn and locate the ball when he needed to. Come and teach Culliver the way, Phillip Gaines!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
GANNDMK wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

nice! I thought that might have been Patton, but the thought came and went quickly as the next play came along, and I never went back to check.

big9erfan wrote:

Yes indeed. My only complaint with Culliver was that he could stick tight to a receiver anywhere on the field, but he couldn't seem to turn and locate the ball when he needed to. Come and teach Culliver the way, Phillip Gaines!!!

Watching the video, I kept thinking how he reminded me of Culliver, though. Maybe Culliver isn't great at locating the ball, but he's good at putting his arm between the receivers' arms and ripping out the ball. Plus, similar body size and athleticism. Maybe Culliver can improve on that. Remember, he was mostly a safety in college, so not as used to turning his head around. Safeties can square up to the play and just locate directly. I think that's part of the transition with Cully. Gaines is already there, though. If he can learn the more subtle intricacies of playing corner in the NFL, we could have a great defensive backfield.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but guess which one of our great posters wrote this last year before the draft about Eric Reid:

Quote:
I agree. I think his great year 2 years ago was the byproduct of an amazing secondary around him. Last year was closer to what he really is. I don't have him in my top 5 safeties. Unfortunately, the niners seem to like him so I wouldn't be surprised if they took him at 31 *sigh*

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 60 of 102

Jump to: