You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anthony Barr
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
s3antana5757

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Anthony Barr Reply with quote

Went and actually watched a full game of Anthony Barr today and didn't come away as impressed as I thought I was going to be.

Pros: Extremely fast and quick. Ran down alot of plays where most normal linebackers would not have. Extremely versatile. Some plays he's got his hands on the ground, sometimes he's standing up, sometimes he's out covering a slot receiver, sometimes he's covering a TE. I was actually very impressed with his coverage skills, more so than I thought I would be. Has a very good understanding of the game. Came off some blocks to make plays on swing passes and screens. Pretty good run defender.

Cons:
First off, he's alot more lean and lacks the size/strength that I was expecting. He REALLY struggled to get off blocks once engaged. His pass rushing moves are limited to a speed rush or a spin move. Spent ALOT of time on the ground; like an inordinate amount of time for a premier pass rusher. Ran himself out of plays, lost contain on the QB more than a few times.

Cliffnotes: I came away not nearly impressed as I thought I would be. Really struggled to create a consistent pass rush. Couldn't get off blocks. Limited pass rush repertoire. Good in coverage. I just don't know that I see at Top 5 or 10 pick. Thoughts?
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched every game he played last season & made a highlight tape for him. I actually think he used his hands pretty well in pass rushing. He didn't show the spin moves that everyone love. But he didn't allow tackles to get their hands on him. A example I can think of off the top of my head is the Washington State game. As soon as the tackle tried to get his hands on his chest, he swiped them down.

Someone actually commented on the tape I made that he is up to 250-255. So that should help vs the run. Another thing I was impressed with was his motor and pursuit. All he has to do is display more technique and IQ improvement.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
PowerElite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if he ran under a 4.5 at the combine then he would have been a top 5 LOCK in the 2013 draft.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely tries to use his athleticism too much to make plays. I expect major leaps in year 2 though because he's played OLB now and should have developed a deeper set of moves. I didn't think he was that great against the run from what I saw. But he was twig thin last year.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
catcheryea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a similar post in a different thread, but the only reason Barr is really being considered a top 10 pick right now is because he put up big numbers. I've watched 7 or 8 games from last year and I agree with a lot of stuff in the OP. He is fairly athletic, but not a freak by any means, he's good in coverage, and he can be good chasing down a ball carrier, but sometimes he gives up on plays. He almost can't get off blocks at all. Once he gets engaged it almost looks like he stops trying because very rarely did he get free. His only real pass rushing moves are a spin that does nothing and a speed rush that more often than not has his run straight upfield to the point where the tackle doesn't even really have to work. His first step isn't that explosive and he doesn't turn the corner well enough to be a pure speed rusher and he's nowhere near strong enough to run through NFL tackles. That being said, his speed rush to the inside of the tackle left me very impressed. I just don't think it's a viable move at the next level when guys won't have to over play his outside rush, which won't leave the inside open. There's still definitely room to grow, both physically and technique wise, but until I see it, he's not a first round pick in my eyes.
catcheryea

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I watched every game he played last season & made a highlight tape for him. I actually think he used his hands pretty well in pass rushing. He didn't show the spin moves that everyone love. But he didn't allow tackles to get their hands on him. A example I can think of off the top of my head is the Washington State game. As soon as the tackle tried to get his hands on his chest, he swiped them down.

Someone actually commented on the tape I made that he is up to 250-255. So that should help vs the run. Another thing I was impressed with was his motor and pursuit. All he has to do is display more technique and IQ improvement.

The Wazzu game was definitely one of his more dominating games (which helped inflate his sack total) but they had the worst O-line in the country last year.

His motor was one ofmthe things I was questioning. He seems to love to make big plays but it didn't look to me like he wanted to be in the scrums very often, and he gave up on pursuing his fair share of runs from the back side.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catcheryea wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

The Wazzu game was definitely one of his more dominating games (which helped inflate his sack total) but they had the worst O-line in the country last year.

His motor was one ofmthe things I was questioning. He seems to love to make big plays but it didn't look to me like he wanted to be in the scrums very often, and he gave up on pursuing his fair share of runs from the back side.

Wazzu game is just an example of how he used his hands. Not so much of the total performance.

I've seen him more than a few times continue chasing after the ball even though the ball carrier passed him. He did it against nebraska, Washington st. , Rice, and a couple more. I wouldn't say he has a Clay Matthews type of motor, but he did well for a first timer at the position. He still has to improve on that area, but I don't think he was bad.

I just hope he added on the new weight correctly and not allow it to slow him down.

jshowers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to poke holes in Barr's game but remember that last year was his first playing defense. He's raw and hasn't developed a full arsenal of pass rushing moves but he's aggressive, instinctual, fast, and a play-maker. I am very excited to watch him this year. I'm putting my final preseason mock draft out later today and Barr is going top 5.
s3antana5757

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting my post to be lit on fire, but it seems like there's quite a few people who have the same worries that I have. If he is indeed up to 255 he should be much better at getting off blocks and being more psychical. I understand that it was his first season playing defense, which make the numbers very impressive, but we've all seen how those numbers can be deceptive. catcher it might have been you in another thread that said most of his sacks came against TEs and RBs, and in the few games and highlights tapes I've seen, that appears to be true. I'd also throw stunts in there also.

I do think he's got a boatload of potential and I'll be very interested to watch him this year, but getting stonewalled on just about every block he took on really concerns me. He's got potential to really have a great all around with his athleticism and football IQ. I think playing offense helped him play D, because his intelligence is definitely something that stood out.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I watched every game he played last season & made a highlight tape for him.

LINK Please?
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

He's a first year defensive player guy. Of course he's raw.

Fact of the matter is he has a strong first step, a great frame, good hand usage, and high upside.

At least George will leave Indy soon.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
I watched every game he played last season & made a highlight tape for him.

LINK Please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNqUx9JJ8Jw

It's not great, but Anthony liked it and followed me on twitter. So I thought that was pretty cool.

Luke1592

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top 10 pick.
s3antana5757

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke1592 wrote:
Top 10 pick.

For what reason? Other than you said so.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3antana5757 wrote:
Luke1592 wrote:
Top 10 pick.

For what reason? Other than you said so.

Pass rushing as of late have been all about upside. He's 6'3" 250 probably (not quite buying listed weight, but he's probably somewhat close) and as 4.5 speed with incredibly burst.

He doesn't use his hands very much, or well, but all of that can be taught. Getting off blocks and handwork just comes with time. He can win with his first step alone, but shows the athleticism to pull off a 2nd or 3rd move back inside to really make life hard for OT's. And add all that to the fact that this is his first year playing defense, he's got a lot of growing to do, and a lot of stuff to sure up. Last but not least, he's put up the numbers to match his athleticism. Showing that he's beaten almost everyone he's gone up against at least once (only 2 games all of last year without a sack, for those of you saying his numbers are inflated...).

Watching him some more, it doesn't really look like they let him truly rush as much as i thought. A lot of the time he's lined up square to the LOS, not in a rush stance, and when they do let him go, he looks good. He's in a similar situation to Dion Jordan last year, where he does so many different things that he doesn't look like he is as good of a pass rusher as he actually is.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: