Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins HC Shanahan: RGIII will start week 1 against Eagles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15282
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Thai, you make some interesting points, but I think you're position all comes down to is a rusty RG3 better than a prepared Kirk Cousins? You have the opinion Cousins would be better, in addition to further protecting Griffin's knee. Turtle has the opinion that a rusty RG3 is still better than a prepared Kirk Cousins. There's really no evidence to support either stance its just a matter of opinion.

I would like to point out however that holding Griffin out until Week 5 would not make him any less "rusty" than he is now. He's already been participating in practices he just hasnt been playing in games. By holding him out he still wouldn't be playing in games hence the rust would never come off.

I think if he's healthy (which all reports seem to indicate he is) he should play Week 1. Even if he's rusty better to get it out of the way early than midseason. I don't see how prolonging his play improves his "rust" factor at all. The only reason I could see for sitting him until Week 5 would be to further protect his knee, which is probably a decision best left to medical experts.


See bolded. This is correct. I've already acknowledged the rust will still be there in Week 6. But I'm willing to take that chance given that it will give us 5 more weeks of allowing RG3 to heal up. This is the tradeoff I'm willing to take. But if they aren't going to allow it to heal then we need to get that rust off (why be not completely healed AND be rusty as well?). The further side benefit is to allow us to showcase Cousins in the first 4 weeks so we can see if we can improve his trade value. See my point?

Thanks for looking at it from my POV. Much appreciated.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MKnight82


Joined: 04 Mar 2009
Posts: 8134
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Thai, you make some interesting points, but I think you're position all comes down to is a rusty RG3 better than a prepared Kirk Cousins? You have the opinion Cousins would be better, in addition to further protecting Griffin's knee. Turtle has the opinion that a rusty RG3 is still better than a prepared Kirk Cousins. There's really no evidence to support either stance its just a matter of opinion.

I would like to point out however that holding Griffin out until Week 5 would not make him any less "rusty" than he is now. He's already been participating in practices he just hasnt been playing in games. By holding him out he still wouldn't be playing in games hence the rust would never come off.

I think if he's healthy (which all reports seem to indicate he is) he should play Week 1. Even if he's rusty better to get it out of the way early than midseason. I don't see how prolonging his play improves his "rust" factor at all. The only reason I could see for sitting him until Week 5 would be to further protect his knee, which is probably a decision best left to medical experts.


See bolded. This is correct. I've already acknowledged the rust will still be there in Week 6. But I'm willing to take that chance given that it will give us 5 more weeks of allowing RG3 to heal up. This is the tradeoff I'm willing to take. But if they aren't going to allow it to heal then we need to get that rust off (why be not completely healed AND be rusty as well?). The further side benefit is to allow us to showcase Cousins in the first 4 weeks so we can see if we can improve his trade value. See my point?

Thanks for looking at it from my POV. Much appreciated.
Sorry Week 6 I forgot to count the BYE week.
_________________

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Adopt - a - Redskin
Bashaud Breeland - 34 tackles, 7 PD, 2 FF, 2 TFL, 1 INT
Jordan Reed - 24 catches, 229 rec yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15282
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Thai, you make some interesting points, but I think you're position all comes down to is a rusty RG3 better than a prepared Kirk Cousins? You have the opinion Cousins would be better, in addition to further protecting Griffin's knee. Turtle has the opinion that a rusty RG3 is still better than a prepared Kirk Cousins. There's really no evidence to support either stance its just a matter of opinion.

I would like to point out however that holding Griffin out until Week 5 would not make him any less "rusty" than he is now. He's already been participating in practices he just hasnt been playing in games. By holding him out he still wouldn't be playing in games hence the rust would never come off.

I think if he's healthy (which all reports seem to indicate he is) he should play Week 1. Even if he's rusty better to get it out of the way early than midseason. I don't see how prolonging his play improves his "rust" factor at all. The only reason I could see for sitting him until Week 5 would be to further protect his knee, which is probably a decision best left to medical experts.


See bolded. This is correct. I've already acknowledged the rust will still be there in Week 6. But I'm willing to take that chance given that it will give us 5 more weeks of allowing RG3 to heal up. This is the tradeoff I'm willing to take. But if they aren't going to allow it to heal then we need to get that rust off (why be not completely healed AND be rusty as well?). The further side benefit is to allow us to showcase Cousins in the first 4 weeks so we can see if we can improve his trade value. See my point?

Thanks for looking at it from my POV. Much appreciated.
Sorry Week 6 I forgot to count the BYE week.


No worries man. I had to doublecheck it again this morning. Hehe.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Woz


Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2006
Posts: 20770
Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Thai, you make some interesting points, but I think you're position all comes down to is a rusty RG3 better than a prepared Kirk Cousins? You have the opinion Cousins would be better, in addition to further protecting Griffin's knee. Turtle has the opinion that a rusty RG3 is still better than a prepared Kirk Cousins. There's really no evidence to support either stance its just a matter of opinion.

I would like to point out however that holding Griffin out until Week 5 would not make him any less "rusty" than he is now. He's already been participating in practices he just hasnt been playing in games. By holding him out he still wouldn't be playing in games hence the rust would never come off.

I think if he's healthy (which all reports seem to indicate he is) he should play Week 1. Even if he's rusty better to get it out of the way early than midseason. I don't see how prolonging his play improves his "rust" factor at all. The only reason I could see for sitting him until Week 5 would be to further protect his knee, which is probably a decision best left to medical experts.


See bolded. This is correct. I've already acknowledged the rust will still be there in Week 6. But I'm willing to take that chance given that it will give us 5 more weeks of allowing RG3 to heal up. This is the tradeoff I'm willing to take. But if they aren't going to allow it to heal then we need to get that rust off (why be not completely healed AND be rusty as well?). The further side benefit is to allow us to showcase Cousins in the first 4 weeks so we can see if we can improve his trade value. See my point?

Thanks for looking at it from my POV. Much appreciated.


Biggest issue I see with benching Griffin until week 6 is more from the political angle:

Scenario A: Cousins goes into beast mode and lights up the place. How do you bench him if he manages to go 4-0 and is leading a freight train of an offense in exchange for a guy you admit will have rust? Do we want another QB controversy?

Scenario B: Cousins has a horrid first four games. Now the boo birds are coming out, the pressure is mounting, and we find ourselves in a hole to win back the division. Not only that, whatever value Cousins had has been destroyed.


Of course, now that Cousins is hurt too (I don't know about you all, but I thought Lisfranc when I saw that), this is probably all moot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41170
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
What Washington wanted: Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will start their Monday night opener against the Eagles.


https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/372702372390137856
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7020
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Robert Griffin III
Operation Patience....Complete. Cleared. To God Be The Glory


Guess its time to getcha popcorn ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thaiphoon


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2007
Posts: 15282
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Quote:
Robert Griffin III
Operation Patience....Complete. Cleared. To God Be The Glory


Guess its time to getcha popcorn ready.


Yup. Just saw that Tweet.
_________________


Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7020
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, these "concerns". Is it as simple as "Yeah, he's healthy and he can play but here are the potential things that can happen." or is the knee not 100?

I think CSN made a good point that the reality is Dr.Andrews can say no, he cannot say yes. At this point Robert isn't bad enough to say no to him, but he needs to lay out what could happen, worst case scenario type deals, if Robert takes a bad hit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 23628
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be nervous for a while, but all we can do at this point is keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.
_________________


chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 41170
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him


https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Billal


Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him


https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480


How they plan to use him? Meaning, using a Read Option offense?

This is....the game of football

Just to confirm, RGIII is starting (or playing) in Game 1?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7020
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billal wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him


https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480


How they plan to use him? Meaning, using a Read Option offense?

This is....the game of football

Just to confirm, RGIII is starting (or playing) in Game 1?


He'll be starting, but I assume they're gonna have to tone down his scrambles. At the end of the year he was good at getting out of bounds with the read option, but he kept making sketchy plays when the play broke down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Brian23


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 7020
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billal wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him


https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480


How they plan to use him? Meaning, using a Read Option offense?

This is....the game of football

Just to confirm, RGIII is starting (or playing) in Game 1?


He'll be starting, but I assume they're gonna have to tone down his scrambles. At the end of the year he was good at getting out of bounds with the read option, but he kept making sketchy plays when the play broke down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Billal


Joined: 22 Jan 2011
Posts: 14
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
Billal wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him


https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480


How they plan to use him? Meaning, using a Read Option offense?

This is....the game of football

Just to confirm, RGIII is starting (or playing) in Game 1?


He'll be starting, but I assume they're gonna have to tone down his scrambles. At the end of the year he was good at getting out of bounds with the read option, but he kept making sketchy plays when the play broke down.


Thanks, Brian.

As for getting re-injured I am not optimistic. Yes, he'll have to be more restrained when running down field is an option and definitely opt for the sidelines when possible.

It's a brutal game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 65263
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me or does Shanahan enjoy drama?

1. Haynesworth
2. McNabb
3. Rg3

I'm getting sick of the RG3 circus and it seems to me that Shanahan is adding fuel to the fire with comments like last night about "concerns" that Dr Andrews has.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group