Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins HC Shanahan: RGIII will start week 1 against Eagles
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Redskins HC Shanahan: RGIII will start week 1 against Eagles Reply with quote

Quote:
Robert Griffin III: "There's no doubt I'm playing Week 1."

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/366948077455675393

The Redskins play the Eagles on week 1 and RGIII will play the game according to him, an amazing recovery after busting his knee during the wildcard round last season.

***Update***
Quote:
Mike Shanahan clearly rules out the idea of Robert Griffin III playing in preseason games.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/367035930449686528

Quote:
Shanahan "I think practice is tougher than games."

https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/367036214890606592

***Update***
Quote:
What Washington wanted: Redskins QB Robert Griffin III will start their Monday night opener against the Eagles.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/372702372390137856

***Update***
Quote:
Sources telling me the "concerns" about @RGIII have less to do with health of the knee, much more on how the team plans to use him

https://twitter.com/wingoz/status/373479267692052480

***Update***
Quote:
Robert Griffin III has been named the Week 1 starter, Mike Shanahan just announced.

https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/374619302424739840
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think this is news. RGIII has been saying this for a while...

Orlovsky has too much experience here. Manziel doesn't stand a chance.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

Apparently not, according reporters and beat writers, they're definitely acting as this week 1 playing confirmation is new.
Tom Brady Tribute
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that pretty much all of us expected him to start Week 1

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
FootballProdiG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without his read option he won't be as effective against us. I think he will still run the plays, but unless he puts on some muscle and isn't still 175lbs he's gonna get tagged whether he slides or not. It would BEHOOVE him to not run until he is 100%.
Brian23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
Without his read option he won't be as effective against us. I think he will still run the plays, but unless he puts on some muscle and isn't still 175lbs he's gonna get tagged whether he slides or not. It would BEHOOVE him to not run until he is 100%.

He started the season last year weighing the same as Aaron Rodgers and dropped down to about 215 throughout the year. He's also seemingly put on a solid amount of muscle this year.

Also still go the read option, but the zone run was killing people without the option having to be used. Wink
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and let the sophomore slump begin. Wink

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Mike Shanahan clearly rules out the idea of Robert Griffin III playing in preseason games.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/367035930449686528

Quote:
Shanahan "I think practice is tougher than games."

https://twitter.com/ESPNRadio980/status/367036214890606592

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Tom Brady Tribute
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's cute that Shanahan has suddenly turned into this caring father figure. Just 7 months ago he let the future of the franchise go onto a muddy field with a bum leg. And when he injured it further, he let him go right back out there.

That said, not letting him play in the preseason is obviously for the best. RG3 is trying to be a hero, clearly not learning anything from the playoff game.

It sounds like he's going to be out there week 1 though, and that's a big surprise to me. We'll see how well he moves, and if the Shanahans are still willing to put him in harms way with the spread option.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to keep his mouth shut and let teams think he isn't going to play for a couple weeks to keep them guessing. I wouldn't rush it if I were him.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:

Laughing Spoken like the average NFL fan actually...sadly.
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
and let the sophomore slump begin. Wink

I guess it could be worse...could be a career slump like Ponder.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

Agreed, of course he says it but its up to the coaches, no?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I think it's cute that Shanahan has suddenly turned into this caring father figure. Just 7 months ago he let the future of the franchise go onto a muddy field with a bum leg. And when he injured it further, he let him go right back out there.

That said, not letting him play in the preseason is obviously for the best. RG3 is trying to be a hero, clearly not learning anything from the playoff game.

It sounds like he's going to be out there week 1 though, and that's a big surprise to me. We'll see how well he moves, and if the Shanahans are still willing to put him in harms way with the spread option.

Most of what you said above I agree with. However the bolded part is simply opposite of what happened last year. People keep assuming he got injured because of the offense. This is not so.

When the Redskins used the Read Option, RG3 was relatively untouched in comparison to the "regular" offense. The pocket was clean on those plays and most of the hits he took in the pocket came from the use of the traditional styled offense. As another poster said, just having him line up in the pistol kept the defense guessing.

The hits he took where he got injured (Atlanta when he scrambled and didn't run out of bounds...Ravens when Ngata hit his knee at just the right place when he was diving forward on a busted play) where traditional plays that any QB with any mobility would make. They were scrambles for additional yardage when the receivers weren't open. Where he got hurt was in trying to be a hero and either not go out of bounds (Atlanta) or not learn that he needs to slide (Ravens). The Read Option had zippy to do with his concussion and his knee injury last year.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
He needs to keep his mouth shut and let teams think he isn't going to play for a couple weeks to keep them guessing. I wouldn't rush it if I were him.

True, but with Shanny saying there is no agreement to let him play Week 1 and RG3 saying he's going to play Week 1 this also gets teams guessing, no?

As a member of another team early in the Redskins' schedule I would actually be planning for Cousins to play. Simply because of the injury involved and how long it takes ot recover from it. AP had at least an extra month longer to recover than RG3 has (before Week 1 of the next regular season) so I'm actually looking at this two ways:

1.) They are keeping him out because they want to prevent any injury in a meaningless game

2.) He really isn't 100% but may be close and they want to get that knee 100% before he gets out there.

#1 makes sense. Why risk it? But also it doesn't. Even the great Peyton Manning looked rusty after time off. RG3 has missed a ton of OTAs, mini camps and even now is just now starting 11 on 11's. He's going to be rusty. So it follows that you should at least try to give him some game reps in one of the games just so he's not knocking off the game rust in Week 1

#2 makes sense in light of the rust comment above. Clearly they know that he needs to knock the rust off in game conditions. But they may not have that option to do so given what they may privately know about the knee. So they come up with story #1 as the reason why he's not playing preseason when in actuality it is for a different reason (he needed another month to get 100%).

Either way, when you have the QB saying he'll play and the coach saying "hold on, he'll play when he plays", it keeps the other teams guessing as well.

I'm with you though, I'd rather just let the coach talk to the reporters. RG3 is young and needs to learn that you should not always give out information (even if its truthful). Let the coaches do it. That's their job.

Being Vague Is Almost As Much Fun As That Other Thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: