Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens sugn former Colts, Broncos WR Brandon Stokley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Ravens sugn former Colts, Broncos WR Brandon Stokley Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens plan to sign wide receiver Brandon Stokley, according to a league source.

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/366340867339980800

***Update***
Quote:
#Ravens have signed WR Brandon Stokley to a 1-year deal. He'll be at practice today.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/366593222690078720
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarey20

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't hurt, we'll see what he has left

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested this as a possibility, and I'm quite pleased that it looks like it might happen.

One, Stokley would get to return to the team that drafted him (if he made the roster), and two, he's just the sort of precise route running, slot receiver that the Ravens could do with, at the moment. Yeah, he's older than Ray Lewis, but he looked pretty good for the Broncos last season.

If he's got nothing left, then at least he can impart some wisdom onto the young guys (and really, why don't the Ravens have Derrick Mason doing just that, in some capacity?).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

Now Flacco will have a white boy slot receiver.Laughing He was still looking good in the divisional playoff game, making some impressive catches in the clutch.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. I doubt he's going to make any more than the league minimum and I don't think he has a very good shot at making the roster either. It does make some sense to bring in a veteran like Stokely to work with the young receivers but even if he does make the team I doubt he contributes much.
Boodgyman5220

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it. he brings a wiley veteran presence to this young recieving corps and wont complain about the role he is given.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he all that was available?? What's the WR free agent market look like?
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the signing. Personally I was of the opinion that we really didn't need to add any more receivers to our bunch. We just won the Super Bowl, not that I'm content, but this is the perfect time to see what we've got at the WR position and build it up.

But Brandon Stokley presents three things that we can use. He's a surefire strong handed possession option. Now we have Doss, Reed, Mellette all as options for a possession guy. But more important are the two other things Stokley brings to the table. Stokley is going to be able to impart wisdom onto the younger receivers to help them along in their technique. And lastly, Brandon Stokley is a clutch receiver, a guy you can trust to make big plays in big moments.

Now what was the downfall of our other veteran receivers we brought in previously? TJ Houshmanzadeh and Lee Evans both dropped balls in big time moments. Stokley is a clutch receiving option, so if it comes down to it and we need a play, I'm going to trust Stokley to make that play. Even if he hasn't caught a ball all year, I'd trust Stokley with the game winning TD grab in the Super Bowl. So while this signing doesn't add a true starter quality receiver option, it adds plenty of intangibles to the equation.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Ravens have signed WR Brandon Stokley to a 1-year deal. He'll be at practice today.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/366593222690078720
Tom Brady Tribute
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Meh. I doubt he's going to make any more than the league minimum and I don't think he has a very good shot at making the roster either. It does make some sense to bring in a veteran like Stokely to work with the young receivers but even if he does make the team I doubt he contributes much.

I have my doubts as well. I'm trying to see who wouldn't make the team.

Smith and Jones are locks. I'd be pretty shocked if Doss or Thompson didn't make the roster. LaQuan should get a spot. And I don't see Mellette getting left on the practice squad for anyone to steal.

Free Ray Rice
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

I have my doubts as well. I'm trying to see who wouldn't make the team.

Smith and Jones are locks. I'd be pretty shocked if Doss or Thompson didn't make the roster. LaQuan should get a spot. And I don't see Mellette getting left on the practice squad for anyone to steal.

Marlon Brown and Tommy Streeter probably get the practice squad spots and Aaron Mellette "injures his knee" and goes on injured reserve.

What Stokley's signing likely means is that the team's patience with David Reed is running to an end. He hasn't impressed to this point and Stokley brings a similar enough skillset. I'd think Stokley replaces Reed, especially if special teams players emerge from other spots on the team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than anything with Reed, I think it's a lack of durability. He had that ACL tear, which obviously kept him out a long time. But since returning, he's missed a few practice sessions in TC, and wasn't able to play in the pre-season game the other night.

There's no point having a guy on the roster just because he might be good if he was ever healthy.

With Brown and Streeter, I'm not sure either would make it onto the practice squad, if the Ravens cut them. I think they'd get picked up by some team that has desperate need of receivers (the Jets, for example), to at least kick the tyres on for the first weeks of the season. Especially if Brown makes a few more plays like he did against the Bucs.

If Stokley is in shape, and can still run (as much as he ever could), I'd say he's likely to make the roster, just because he would immediately become a reliable target. Of course, if Thompson gets healthy and proves himself over the next three games, and Williams continues to make plays, then perhaps they can make Stokley surplus to requirements.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig it. Stokley will always be golden as far as I'm concerned because of that Super Bowl touchdown and given how little regard I have for Hostler as a WR coach I see him as at the very least a pretty good player-coach type for the rest of camp. Has a lot to teach the young'ns in terms of route-running and work ethic. And he has the ability to work out of the slot, which is what we're most missing right now.

I think he's going to get every chance possible to make the roster as well. Don't think we'd be kicking the tires with so many ex-Caldwell guys if we didn't think that familiarity would be important.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I dig it. Stokley will always be golden as far as I'm concerned because of that Super Bowl touchdown and given how little regard I have for Hostler as a WR coach I see him as at the very least a pretty good player-coach type for the rest of camp. Has a lot to teach the young'ns in terms of route-running and work ethic. And he has the ability to work out of the slot, which is what we're most missing right now.

I think he's going to get every chance possible to make the roster as well. Don't think we'd be kicking the tires with so many ex-Caldwell guys if we didn't think that familiarity would be important.

Glad I'm not the only one who's not high at all with Jim Hostler.

As for this signing - meh - Stokley's nothing special in any regard, but I suppose if anything it gives Flacco a reliable set of hands to throw to.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Glad I'm not the only one who's not high at all with Jim Hostler.

As for this signing - meh - Stokley's nothing special in any regard, but I suppose if anything it gives Flacco a reliable set of hands to throw to.

After we hired him five years ago, it's like we completely forgot he existed and blamed the receiving problems on everyone else.

As for Stokley, I love this signing based on nostalgia alone. It's still crazy to think he's finally back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: