Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Y2's 49ers Roster Power Rankings: Week 2 (Updated on 1st pg)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiger9er08

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jenkins love/hate (mostly hate at this time) I dunno, I'm not high on him but I'm not gonna give up on him either, he's only been in the league for one year and has barely played in live regular season games. The saying for most rookie WR's is we'll really see how good they are their 3rd year. Crabs his first few years wasnt exactly lighting it up either, same with VD, so I'm just gonna be patient with this kid.

Even Darius Heyward Bey turned into an decent/avg WR when he was labeled a reach and a bust and I think Jenkins should be better then DHB.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger9er08 wrote:
The Jenkins love/hate (mostly hate at this time) I dunno, I'm not high on him but I'm not gonna give up on him either, he's only been in the league for one year and has barely played in live regular season games. The saying for most rookie WR's is we'll really see how good they are their 3rd year. Crabs his first few years wasnt exactly lighting it up either, same with VD, so I'm just gonna be patient with this kid.

Even Darius Heyward Bey turned into an decent/avg WR when he was labeled a reach and a bust and I think Jenkins should be better then DHB.

Don't get me wrong. I don't love him; I don't hate him. I'm more in the wait-and-see mode. It's just hard to see him not making the squad. Unless I'm wrong, he's still got two years of guaranteed money coming. I guess if he really sucks, we'd eat that. But we'll likely give him every benefit of the doubt unless he proves he can't cut it.

I couldn't care less who wins the WR competition. I just hope someone emerges from it to be a good second or third option for us. I'm tired on watching our only good WR get double teamed because our other WR is not a threat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenkins looks to have a team-friendly contract over the next 3 years.. but it also looks like it would cost us over 4 million to axe Jenkins, as of now. We have to hope that he at least becomes a serviceable #3 at some point. Draft status, be damned... that's about all I am hoping for right about now.

... and I don't really have any favorites to play opposite of Boldin, but I wouldn't mind at all for Lockette to earn the role. Like that size, speed, jumps, etc.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I'm being harsh on Jenkins (though I'm with those posting recently - don't love him or hate him, and would rather him catch on), but it's hard not to see his stock dwindling when he's not really doing anything to change that. The rankings don't necessarily indicate my roster projection (I think Morris, my #65, has a strong chance at making the team and Dixon, #46, as a real long shot), just how I feel they compare at a variety of levels. With what Jenkins should be, he's extremely disappointing.

But there's a lot of merit to the idea that he just hasn't had the real opportunity to prove himself yet, he could still be developing, etc.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 27th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 49
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 743
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Jenkins, I've pretty much scratched him off. If he produces into a serviceable WR, then I'd be extremely happy, but it's not looking that way as of now.

McDonald seems to be the guy who'll step up as our extra threat that we need so much. He showed a lot during the pre-season, and I'm hoping we just do a lot of two TE sets in the regular season. Patton is another guy who I'm excited to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More signs of Jenkins to the unemployment line.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7522/aj-jenkins

Quote:
49ers beat writers Matt Barrows and Matt Maiocco have suggested the same. Per La Canfora, Jenkins has been "beyond frustrating from everything I've heard," and the team may "just take its losses and move on." Perhaps the Niners will ultimately give Jenkins one more year, but he'd have to do something special before September to earn a spot on the 45-man game-day roster.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided I'll likely do this again this week, but it won't likely come as quick as last time (this weekend's pretty busy). When I do post them, I'm going to update the first page, and I'll note that.

49ersfan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 2012 draft class as a whole has been a massive disappointment. Only LaMichael James looks poised to make any gameday impact. And he'll probably only be our 3rd RB barring injury.

Jenkins and Looney had another poor performance last night, and nobody else is standing out. Maybe Cam Johnson to the PS.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
tiger9er08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Dawson looked pretty good this past game, 2x 55yarders
49ersfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Eric Wright's chances of making the 53 are getting lower. 1- he's yet to even pass a physical with us, let alone practice. 2- the CB's in front of him are doing well. All 5 of them are doing well, especially Cox (who has added punt returner value). If we do keep a 6th CB, i'd like to keep a younger guy who has some future potential- Daryl Morris, Michael Thomas, or Marcus Cooper, for example.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
I think Eric Wright's chances of making the 53 are getting lower. 1- he's yet to even pass a physical with us, let alone practice. 2- the CB's in front of him are doing well. All 5 of them are doing well, especially Cox (who has added punt returner value). If we do keep a 6th CB, i'd like to keep a younger guy who has some future potential- Daryl Morris, Michael Thomas, or Marcus Cooper, for example.

I don't think his chances have been affected at all yet, actually. It seems clear he's going to start the year on the PUP where he won't waste a roster spot - from there we can see how the team is actually performing through at least 6 weeks before we decide to move him to IR or keep him around.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archiving Week 1's rankings. Main page will be updated momentarily with Preseason Week 2's Rankings.

I got a great idea the other day. I was trying to create a new power rankings for my signature, but couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with it. So I decided instead to create a much different power rankings list - one of every member of the roster. Basically I'd watch the games, rewatch the plays and specifically look for each player to see how all of them played and rank them from first to last. I decided this was something I'll do every week.

It's probably not going to happen again. Holy crap...this took a lot of time.

Anyway, I did the work on the first week, so I decided to post it. I may just rank the players without comment in future weeks, and when it gets to a more manageable regular season roster with guys not playing often, I may try it again.

Anyway - the power rankings come from this weird unwritten algorithm I used that combines what I saw after rewatching each play multiple times, factoring in what their likely future role will be, factoring in how important that role is to a football team, factoring in if they were injured how well their backups would do, factoring in how I feel the coaches feel about the player, and mixed with a healthy taking out of my own personal biases, and what I have left with is the following list. The list includes players on the team who may not have played this week and who may be gone for the year (examples - Crabtree & Culliver) based on how important they look to the team now that they're gone. It does not include any first year 49ers who haven't played due to injury (see Wright, Patton, Carradine, Dial, etc.). It also doesn't include Darius Fleming, who may as well be on the previous list.

With that said: Here's my Weekly Power Rankings that Will Probably Never Be Updated Again: Preseason Week 1

1) Colin Kaepernick, QB, #7
Arrow Pointing: Way up

Kaepernick showed great poise throughout the series he was on the field. He unsurprisingly had great movement in the pocket and great vision on his third down scramble to pick up the first with his legs (would've liked a feet first slide in the preseason, but it is what it is). My favorite play was probably the shortest while he was in - the 4-yard pass to Boldin. I love that Kaepernick realized Boldin didn't need to be open to throw him the ball, which is important as Boldin isn't often wide open. Good to see Kaepernick already trusts that, because as was easily seen, Boldin is his only legit receiver at the moment. I have Kaepernick ranked #1 thanks to what I saw of McCoy and Tolzien...basically enough to know that I'll be deeply depressed if Kaepernick goes down with an injury.

2) Justin Smith, DL, #94
Arrow Pointing: Horizontally

Obviously Justin Smith didn't play, which is fine by me. Rest the guy all preseason as far as I'm concerned. We know what happened when Justin got injured last year, so it's plenty clear to me why I have him #2. His arrow points horizontally because there's very little he can do to show me why he's more important to this team. It's abundantly clear.

3) Aldon Smith, OLB, #99
Arrow Pointing: Up

Aldon looked hungry in his one series. He showed great awareness throughout the drive, made a great tackle for a short gain on a run play, and had great pressure to disrupt Manning's last throw. Aldon clearly looks healthy, and I'm sure he's hungry for another big season full of sacks. A healthy pass-rush is always important, so our star pass rusher gets major priority here.

4) Patrick Willis, ILB, #52

In a way, I've demoted Willis all the way down to #4 due to injury. It's not that I think he'll be lesser of a player, but I was very pleased with the depth we have at the position, so it wouldn't be as large a catastrophe as any of the above going down if Willis were to get injured (naturally I'd prefer him healthy all season). Plus there's #5:

5) NaVorro Bowman, ILB, #53

Having NaVorro Bowman on the field means we're always with an all-pro linebacker in the middle (so long as BOTH don't get injured). He was pretty obsolete against the Broncos in his one series, but he did show his usual good nose for the ball.

6) Vernon Davis, TE, #85

Vernon Davis played well in his one drive, with a strong block on the first James run, and then a good sell of a block before escaping out into the flat for a big 12-yard gain. He missed some blocks or just couldn't find anyone to block on a majority of the other plays. Vernon is ranked this high based on the fact that he's really our best healthy weapon in the passing game. Clearly Kaepernick is looking his way more ever since the postseason, and that's going to need to continue in a big way.

7) Michael Crabtree, WR, #15
Arrow Pointing: Up with $$$

It's becoming abundantly clear how much Crabtree's injury really hurts with no WR really able to step up and take over the #2 role. With Boldin on the wrong side of 30, and most of our targets heading for free agency, to me locking down the one legit receiving threat we have should become incredibly important, especially since we haven't shown any indication we know what we're talking about when it comes to receiver talent (Patton being excused from the conversation for the time being).

8) Tarell Brown, CB, #25

Wasn't in that long against the Broncos, and mostly stayed out of sight (which is a good thing for a CB). He did get pretty badly driven back on one run to his side. Anyway, I list Brown this high because of the Culliver injury. As much as I feel more comfortable with our 3rd, 4th, and 5th CBs now (whoever they might be of Brock, Asomugha, Cox, or Wright), losing Brown would be a huge blow.

9) Frank Gore, HB, #21
Arrow Pointing: Down

He obviously sat out the Broncos game. You should know it absolute breaks my heart to list his arrow as pointing down, but it's time to be real. I still expect him to have a really good year and be vitally important to our offense, but with Hunter and James both showing promise, Lattimore ready in the future and Gore hitting that magical 30 number...his time is coming to an end. Hopefully after 1161 yards this year, though. 10,000 career rushing yards with the 49ers. It's all I ask for.

10) Joe Staley, LT, #74

Staley appeared to be in his usual form, which is good given both his position and how poorly the 'backup tackles' played (none of those players will be our LT at any point this season, thankfully). Still, the thought of Adam Snyder protecting Kaepernick's blindside has me a bit concerned. In the game, he did a really job in pass blocking, doing a good enough job against Ayers to keep him away from Kaep (long enough for Kaep to take off and get the 3rd down conversion with his feet), and did really well as a run blocker as well. Did a great job opening the hole for James on a 6-yard run. Other times he may not have moved his guy completely out of the way, but he did a great job of holding the block long enough for the back to move.

11) Anquan Boldin, WR, #81

Had a great first game with the team - ran a good route on his 10-yard reception. He also was very active as a run blocker, leading the way on a couple of James' runs. Boldin is clearly invaluable to the team at this point. The thought of what we might have to go through if he goes down is terrifying.

12) Alex Boone, RG, #75

Boone had a solid game overall, and was the most consistent of our normal starters. Didn't stand out for much other than one pretty awesome pancake block on a run that didn't gain yardage. Still, he was able to get push in the run game and allowed no pressure in the passing game. That's what should be happening as a lineman.

13) Ray McDonald, DE, #91
Arrow Pointing: Slightly Up

He wasn't in long, and the only real noteable thing he did was collapsed the pocket on Manning (who predictably got rid of the ball quickly anyway). Still, McDonald has long been one of the more underrated players on this team, and more importantly - the depth at DE at the moment still isn't that great. It woudln't be nearly as devastating as losing Justin, but it still might not be pretty (especially with Carradine out).

14) Mike Iupati, LG, #77

Didn't have the most consistent game as I saw it (in his brief time in the game). He ended up on his back on a James 5-yard run with his assignment nearly making the tackle in the backfield. Couldn't move his guy out of the way on a DJ Harper run that went nowhere. And just barely held enough of his block to allow Kaepernick to escape the pocket on his scramble (but Iupati was beaten on the play). Still, he did a great job opening the hole for James on his 6-yard run and got enough of his block on a pull to allow James to escape to the outside. He'll be fine.

15) Ahmad Brooks, OLB, #55
Arrow Pointing: Slightly Down

Brooks was mostly invisible against the Broncos, but he also didn't play very long. He didn't get any pressure on Manning, but he did do a good job setting the edge and forcing a run back inside causing it to get stopped for a short gain. Brooks is still a really solid player, but with Lemonier looking the part, and even Skuta and Haralson looking pretty solid in the game, he's certainly not as irreplaceable as he would have been last year.

16) Anthony Davis, RT, #76

He seemed to play like he always does - mauling lineman for a majority of the time out there, had one bad whiff (against Von Miller, but Kaepernick was able to escape the pocket), and had one false start penalty. Still, he's definitely a really good lineman out there, and the guy who replaced him on the 2nd team, Patrick Omameh, was plenty bad. The whole offensive line is a key to what we do, and especially this year with the passing game going to be a giant question mark.

17) Andy Lee, P, #4

His one punt was booming. And I think that's all he had against the Broncos. Still, he was his normal self, and his normal self is arguably the best punter in the league. I struggled to place a punter any higher than this, though (and even this high seemed odd, but Lee is a giant part of our field game strategies). I also heard that Lee is working on a new punt in camp that is something of a knuckleball and really hard to hang onto, but having trouble controlling the distance of the punt.

18) Donte Whitner, SS, #31

Didn't play long against the Broncos, and his only real noteable play was coming up in run duty and helping make a stop for a short gain. I have him ranked slightly higher than some of our other defensive backs because of the general lack of experience we have at the safety position. No matter who earns the FS job (looking like Reid is doing enough to earn it), Whitner is going to play a large role in keeping them up to speed communication-wise.

19) Mario Manningham, WR, #82

Obviously didn't play. This less the thought that he's the 19th best player on the team, but rather that getting him healthy is of major importance right now.

20) Carlos Rogers, CB, #22

Did nothing of consequence against the Broncos, which isn't a bad thing for a CB. The fact that Culliver went down with an injury makes Rogers more important this year. Hopefully we'll get 2011 Rogers. That would be amazing.

21) Eric Reid, FS, #35

Great first preseason game for Reid, and one where he (in my eyes) clearly outplayed the others competing for the FS job. One thing is for sure, we certainly won't miss Goldson's big hits. Reid laid the boom a couple times. He also proved to be a really sure tackler which is fantastic. The only thing we really didn't get to get a read on (pun very much intended) was his coverage skills. Still, at this point - Reid looks like the real deal.

22) Kendall Hunter, HB, #32

Hunter didn't play in the game, but with how heavily we run on the running game, and how well he's done previously, I rank him here. Hopefully he's back on the field soon so we can see how well he's doing, because James is definitely creeping up.

23) Chris Culliver, CB, #29

Lost for the season, I still place him here because of the uncertainty we're currently facing with our 3rd CB situation. Obviously he's not going to play this year, and it remains to be seen how much he'll be missed.

24) Vance McDonald, TE, #89

McDonald had an amazing first preseason game by my accounts. He had four catches and showed good run after the catch ability on one, and some great hands on a couple of others. He was able to use power to gain extra yardage after one catch, and showed some clutch abilities to hang onto a big third down catch that moved the chang while we were deep in our own territory. He held his own in the run game as well, blocking very well, and helping to set the edge for a James outside run that went for 9 yards. He also had a great pancake block on a WR screen to Jacobs late in the game. He did have a couple of sour plays including the one drop (which wouldn't have been enough for a first down anyway), and he didn't hold his pass block long enough and got Tolzien clobbered as he threw. Still, he was my least favorite draft pick this year and one of my bigger concerns, and he did a good job of putting some of those to bed. Great first preseason game, and I'm becoming excited to see what he might be able to provide for our offense, especially with the current dearth of weapons.

25) Daniel Kilgore, C, #67

I thought Goodwin played pretty well last year, so I'm not in a hurry to replace him...but Kilgore played incredibly well against the Broncos. He played the entire first half at center. In pass blocking, he routinely held his own and kept the pocket clean, only getting pushed back on one occasion (one in which he regained his footing and regained control). In the run game he was quick off the line, and routinely in the 2nd level making blocks. The only mistake I noted was he blocked the wrong linebacker on Bruce Miller's lone run, and the guy he should have blocked was the one who easily plugged the hole and made the tackle. Still, it was a really good showing for Kilgore, and a sign that he's definitely the future of that position.

26) Bruce Miller, FB, #49

I love Bruce, and he's certainly a player who on talent might be a little higher, but we don't use the FB often enough for me to justify placing him higher. Against the Broncos, he was his usual self. Made a great double team block with Marlon Moore to open the lane for a James run. Had a great lead block for James later in a play that ultimately ended up as no gain (just great defense on the play). Overall, he's solid.

27) Phil Dawson, K, #9

Wasn't a fan of our first look at Dawson in a 9ers jersey. He was 2 of 3, but his miss was a bad miss with the wind at his back and not swirling, and his second make was just barely inside the uprights. I don't need Akers flashbacks, Phil. Please note this for next game.

28t) Tramaine Brock, CB, #26

Against the Broncos, he had soft coverage early that allowed for a short gain (he made the tackle), but he had excellent coverage on the next pass his way which was him deep against Thomas. Overall, he did a really good job and eased some concerns I had about him as the third CB (considering I've been really harsh on him at times).

28t) Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, #24

Nnamdi played really well in coverage, had a good nose for the ball and made a big hit on a short pass, and was really solid in run support. However, despite him playing as well as Brock in the game, it's clear he's behind Brock on the depth chart, and given how well Cox is playing and the fact that the team just signed Wright, there's a definite sign that he might not be getting a lot of time this year.

30) Ian Williams, NT, #93

Ian Williams definitely looked as good as everyone's been saying he has in training camp to date. He had great penetration on an early run even while being held on the play. He was routinely holding his own against double teams in both the run and pass game. He was collapsing the pocket while being double teamed on only a 3-man rush. Great pressure up the middle also caused him to get the sack. While he played well and I think certainly outplayed Dorsey (though Dorsey played well), it's clear how often the NT is in - neither Williams nor Dorsey played in the first drive. We typically used 4 down linemen - Brooks and Aldon outside, and McDonald and Dobbs inside.

31) LaMichael James, RB, #23

James was lightning fast through the holes at times. Had some really solid runs combined with some solid vision and instincts. Great vision and a quick cut to find a hole outside on a 9-yard run. Only real bad play was when he tried to run before fully securing the ball and nearly fumbled it away. In my eyes, James is playing well enough to earn some carries on a regular basis, but it'll be interesting to see what his role is when Hunter is back healthy.

32) Jonathan Goodwin, C, #59

Goodwin looks to be the latest victim of a guy who loses his job due to injury. Kilgore certainly played well enough to keep it thus far, so Goodwin might want to get healthy quick.

33) Michael Wilhoite, ILB, #57

Wilhoite showed why he won a roster spot previously - he was all over the place. Constantly around the ball and making tackles, and put up Bowman/Willis numbers (granted, it's preseason so not to get carried away)- He was good in coverage, stopping receivers for short gains and taking away the underneath route on a few occasions (including Manning's final pass of the game). He was also able to get great pressure up the middle on blitzes leading to a half sack. He certainly made me forget about any want I had to give Larry Grant a call.

34) Corey Lemonier, OLB, #96

Lemonier had a really solid first showing and hopefully can build off of it and earn a few plays on gamedays in the regular season. He showed great pass rush moves and looked incredibly quick, routinely beating his man and pressuring the QB. He was able to hold his own in the run game for the most part as well. Unfortunately, I goofed while writing this and I accidentally deleted my notes on Lemonier, so I know there were a few specific plays I wanted to point out and am unable to. Still - really good showing.

35) Perrish Cox, CB, #20

Cox had a really good game overall. He was great in coverage (almost had a pick), had great reactions to come up and make stops on short passes and runs. And he had a couple great returns. Given the injury concerns we have, he can really turn out to be a very valuable guy to have on the active roster on gamedays due to his versatility.

36) Glenn Dorsey, NT, #90

Dorsey played pretty well in the game, but given that he was likely expecting to be a starter at NT before the draft, it's slightly disappointing that he's not outplaying Ian Williams (given each of their draft statuses). Dorsey was solid on run plays - did a great job of holding his own and disengaging to make a tackle on a short gain. He did well at moving down the line and maintaining position to help stop other run plays. In the passing game he also did really well - he commanded a double team on a play that ultimately resulted in a sack. He collapsed the pocket and forced an errant Osweiler throw. And on a draw, he got great pressure and nearly stopped the play in the backfield (he was held on the play).

37) Kyle Williams, WR, #10

Given the way the 2011 season ended, it's kinda remarkable to think how badly I'd love to see Kyle Williams on the field right now.

38) CJ Spillman, FS, #27

Spillman actually played really well at safety, but given Reid's stature (as a first rounder) and the level to which he played, it's clear Spillman's role this year should once again come on special teams (where I didn't make any notes of him in the Broncos game). Spillman did have soft coverage that allowed a completion for a first down, but he did make the tackle. Otherwise, he did really well shooting in on a blitz and making a tackle in the backfield on a run play.

39) Parys Haralson, OLB, #98

Really, Haralson had an excellent game, and the kind of game a veteran that has starting experience like he does should be having against backups, so it's important to keep this in perspective. Still, Haralson in the short time he was in looked really sharp out there, getting great pressure and collapsing the pocket on multiple plays, including a sack. He did a great job holding the edge on a run play to help stop the run for a loss. Overall - solid work, and work to make it difficult to cut him.

40) Brian Jennings, LS, #86

Still very important, but as a dedicated longsnapper, I can't justify putting him much higher than this. I'm not even sure he played in the Broncos game as I know McDermott was handling a lot of the longsnapping duties.

41) Marlon Moore, WR, #19

Moore didn't play very long, but it's very telling that he was on with the first team offense and left with the first team offense. Had a phenomenal catch, even if it was short of the first down marker - it set up a more manageable field goal. Still, didn't necessarily stand out and separate himself from the pack, and given that he's our second best healthy WR, it's not great. He did do really well on his blocking assignments, though. Good double team block with Miller on a James 5-yard run, and then a solid one on a 6-yard run as well. He also was downfield blocking on Davis's reception.

42) Dan Skuta, OLB, #51

I don't know if there was a fringe player who helped themselves out more than Skuta did. He played extremely well on the defensive side of the ball, and was a starter on Special Teams. On the opening kickoff return, he had a really great driving block. He maintained his position throughout, on both run and pass plays. He did a great job maintaining his position and forced the runner outside where he was able to gain nothing. Showed great awareness on multiple playaction passes including the one near the end that resulted in a sack. Had great pressure on the backups for another sack and one near sack as well.

43) DeMarcus Dobbs, DE, #83

Dobbs was a starter and then played frequently throughout most of the first 3 quarters. He was a mixture of average, good, and dominating, and that seemed to coincide 100% with when he played against the first, second, and third string offensive line. Against the starters he didn't do a great job on run plays, but he did command a couple double teams (and was easily moved out of the way). His pass defense was a bit better, getting decent pressure on Manning. Against the second team he was able to hold his own more in the run game and find his way into holes to plug them up. He started dominating against the third string, constantly pushing the lineman back on pass plays and getting involved in the run game. I'd be a bit concerned if he had to go up against a first string line the entire game, so his ceiling might only be as the rotational player (which given our need to sign Dorsey and draft Carradine is probably what we expected).

44) Adam Snyder, OL, #68

Snyder had a pretty uneventful game, which might be a good thing given how weak the backup line played. Held his blocks well, and made no mistakes/great plays. Played entirely at LG, but he'll be our backup tackle and can play any of the 5 positions if need be.

45) Craig Dahl, FS, #43

Dahl was the starting FS in the game, and while he did nothing to lose the job, I think Reid and Spillman played a heck of a lot better to win it. Dahl was decent in run support - showed great vision to come shooting up on a run play, but allowed the runner to get an extra 2-3 yards after his hit (still made the tackle). Good nose for the ball and plugged a run hole on another play. Saw his number on Special Teams a few times, but didn't see anything remarkable there.

46) Anthony Dixon, RB, #24

Dixon does a great job every preseason of making himself pretty irreplaceable. Had a really great first preseason game again (though it should be noted that his placement here likely isn't an indication he'll make the roster - we're just incredibly stacked at this position). Dixon showed some great vision and seems to have finally gotten rid of his tendencey to tiptoe through holes. He managed to bounce outside or find cutback lanes on multiple occasions to pick up some tough yards, and ran with power a few times (which is what he'll really need to do to find a spot on the team). His versatility is also key - he held his own as a FB which would certainly help his roster prospects. He also had a fantastic pancake block on Perrish Cox's big kickoff return and had great coverage on a punt return and was just able to trip up the returner. Had some good after catch yardage on a late screen play. If he and Asomugha make the roster, I'll be interested to see who claims the jersey.

47) Garrett Celek, TE, #88

Celek was a starter on special teams, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where he's not on the team as the third TE. Still, he could do better - he whiffed on a couple early blocks that stopped run plays including one for a loss. Was a bit better on special teams blocks, including some decent ones downfield on the longer returns (including on pancake block on Cox's shorter punt return). Did make one decent downfield block after an Osgood reception.

48) Trenton Robinson, FS, #30

Robinson didn't play poorly, but seems to be last in the FS competition. Was still active on special teams, frequently deep downfield on multiple occasions. There were a couple times where he was great in run support and filling lanes.

49) Austin Collie, WR, #6

This one might be wishful thinking given that he was playing at the end of the game with all the third string players, but there's little healthy talent at the position now, and he provided a great slot option at the end of the game. He had a really nice catch on third down short of the marker, but the next play made up for that by converting the 4th down by making a great grab down the seam. Would really like to see him get more work with the first team offense to see where he might fit in. He also proved to be a willing blocker and had a nice block on a Dixon run.

50) Scott Tolzien, QB, #3

I haven't been impressed with Tolzien since we picked him up from San Diego, but it's also hard to judge him as our backup lines have been routinely getting beaten. Had an up and down game where he would make some really beautiful throws, and then miss open receivers or make poor throws (like his INT into heavy coverage). Did show some great pocket awareness on multiple plays, taking off when necessary or waiting until the last second to release the ball on big pass plays (like a 20-yard completion to Jacobs). He had that really odd incomplete pass to end the game where the ball slipped out of his grasp, which is a horrible way to show you're ready for pressure scenarios. Still, this game didn't make it hard on him to look like our 2nd best QB.

51) Chad Hall, WR, #14

Hall wasn't very active in the passing game, only having one reception (but one where he settled nicely into a hole in the zone and got a big gain). He did prove to be a very willing blocker, however, showing incredible tenacity to get downfield and block safeties on the opposite side of the field as to where the run was designed to go/went. Did a good job holding onto one punt as he got hit, but it proved it should have been fair caught.

52) Nick Moody, ILB, #54

Moody is going to make the team based on Special Teams for sure, but he still looked like a capable backup linebacker. He made plays on Special Teams - he had a good driving block on the opening kick return, and made the stop on kickoff coverage to keep the return from getting out of hand. Was doing a great job at locating the football on defense, and was routinely around the ball carrier. On one play I noted that he didn't particularly care for the guy blocking him, and decided to pancake the blocker (it amused me). Had great pressure on one blitz that helped lead to a sack. Was around the ball in coverage and made a quick stop on a short pass. One bad play was when he hit the wrong hole and got cut off allowing for a huge Anderson run in the third quarter through his gap responsibility. Injury doesn't sound serious, which is good.

53) Kassim Osgood, WR, #13

It's going to be incredibly difficult finding Osgood a spot on this team given that his place will almost solely be on Special Teams (even if he continues making plays as a receiver, he wouldn't ever be more than the 7th best). It also doesn't help that the other Special Teams studs (guys like Brock, Cox, Dixon, Spillman, Moody, etc.) are all proving to be potentially reliable with roles on the respective offensive and defensive sides of the ball. Still, Osgood looked REALLY good. He was great in coverage to stop a punt return instantly early on, and then had phenomenal coverage on the 2nd half opening kickoff, making the tackle deep in Broncos territory. He was the most consistent receiver on offense, too, doing a great job of getting open, making catches, and moving to gain yards and get out of bounds when necessary (2-minute drill). If he continues to show he can be a receiver while we have little health/consistency from the other guys, then he has an outside shot at the roster. Still, it's hard to envision him getting above any of Boldin, Patton, Manningham, Williams, or Moore at this point, and then he'd still have to outplay Chad Hall, Austin Collie, Ricardo Lockette and AJ Jenkins as well. Keep in mind, while he's #53 here, guys #54 and #55 are essentially assured roster spots at this point, and this list can't include rookies Carradine, Patton, or Dial yet (for reasons stated above).

54) Joe Looney, OL, #78

Looney seemed to struggle a bit, which is the bad news. The good news is, he's clearly the 8th best lineman and likely to earn a roster spot because of it, but may not be worth keeping past this season (or even if a better option becomes available in final cuts). He played right guard with the second team offense, and center with the third team. Seemed more comfortable at guard. Wasn't very quick on a pull and couldn't manage to block anyone (he needed to) on a short gain. Wasn't very good at run blocking with the 2nd team line in general, but was very effective in pass blocking, including at least one pancake block. At center, his run blocking didn't get much better as he whiffed on a run block. Got called for holding negating a big Dixon run, but it was pretty Ricky tack (that's still a thing - I forget nothing). Did good job blocking downfield on a screen pass, and did a wonderful job to get to the second level on a big Dixon run that was called back due to a Bykowski hold. Only negative in pass blocking came late when the entire right side of the line collapsed, and he couldn't figure out who he should pick up and so made the decision to block neither guy (probably not the best decision).

55) Colt McCoy, QB, #2

Colt gets this spot near default, because as of right now it's near impossible for him to miss the roster. Still, this game was not very good on his part. This is absolutely NOT meant to ruffle feathers, but he reminded me an awful lot of Alex Smith (circa 2007) in this game - he was constantly forced to run around like a chicken with its head cut off because the line in front of him couldn't hold a block, which constantly forced him outside and constantly throwing the ball on the run. This made him plenty inaccurate. Given that these were conditions he was used to in Cleveland, it'll be interesting to see how his psyche holds up, because Alex's unquestionably best attribute was his ability to handle adversity with superb aplomb.

56) Ricardo Lockette, WR, #18

The good news is, Lockette was pretty active on special teams in the second half - he was the first man down in coverage on two kick returns (didn't make the play either time) and was quick as can be on punt coverage tackling the Broncos returner at the 2-yard line in a fantastic play. The bad news was, he was entirely absent on offense (he played there, just did nothing of note). He's going to need to make some kind of statement on offense in order to make the team.

57) Will Tukuafu, DL, #48

Tukuafu actually loooked pretty solid on defense while he was in for the most part. He got some really god pressure, and forced Osweiler outside on a couple of passes, though he did whiff on one sack. Against the second team he was mostly ineffective against the run, and got blown out of the way on two runs, one that went about 5 yards and one that went over 10. Against the third team, he became very effective in both the run and pass game, plugging holes and stopping runs, including being the guy that got the penetration on the Broncos 4th down run. On special teams, the only time I really caught him was on the opening kickoff return where he whiffed on everybody he tried to block. His position on the team is wide open for Dial.

58) Michael Thomas, S, #36

Thomas had an up and down game, but was mostly up minus a couple of misses (though they were some big misses for what it's worth). He did a great job sniffing out the ball as the safety, getting to a shallow pass and stopping it quickly (he did this on a few occasions). He was also good in run support, getting upfield a few times and stopping the back for minimal gains. His one miss was big, as he was beaten badly on a short pass that went for a big gain. He also took a poor angle to another pass that was caught short and then near made a first down. Looked good on Special Teams, too - got deep downfield on a kickoff, missed the returner, but still rebounded well and made the tackle a bit further downfield.

59) Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, #63

I know he caught some flack for his performance this week, but I couldn't see why upon rewatching the game - Jerod-Eddie actually looked very solid (albeit mostly against third stringers). He held his own on run plays, showing great movement going down the line and tracking the football. In the second quarter, he did a great job to disengage his blocker, move down the line and make the tackle on a short run. Was good at collapsing the pocket and getting close to the QB on multiple occasions, including fighting through some double teams. Seemed to get tired late - whiffed ona run play that ultimately went for a big gain. Great job getting penetration on the 4th and 1 run, but missed the tackle. He wasn't paying attention late and missed a draw play, letting the running back run right past him on a 3rd down conversion. Still, even made some plays late in the game as well.

60) Darcel McBath, S, #28

Given that he had a roster spot previously, and it's now a real longshot for him to win another one, his arrow goes nowhere but down here. He also didn't even really show up on defense, and his special teams play was spotty. He did a good job keeping two separate Broncos away from Dixon on the opening kick return, and had a good block to stop the lead man on Cox's big kick return. He couldn't hold a block on a punt return and allowed his guy to make the tackle. In kickoff coverage late, he took himself out of position by standing flat footed.

61) AJ Jenkins, WR, #17
Arrow Pointing: To the unemployment line

Jenkins had every opportunity in the world to jump out this week, but didn't for multiple reasons. On his lone reception, he fumbled the ball away trying to make a play. He's letting just about every other receiver outplay him, and given the dearth of talent right now, the former first round draft pick should be stepping up. At this point, there's no way I'd keep him on the roster. His lone bright spots were some decent blocks in the run game. He's been up and down in practice, but absent 100% in games. He needs to start showing something in the receiving game - otherwise it's just better to cut him loose now.

62) BJ Daniels, QB/RB/WR/KR/PR/Special Teams/OL/TE/DL/DB, #5
Arrow Pointing: Every Which Way But Loose

This is the "I have no idea where to put this guy, so he'll just go here" spot of the power rankings. I don't know how to judge this. I do know he hasn't gotten QB snaps, which given how poorly the two guys presumably in front of him played and given how long Tolzien was in the game, I don't fully comprehend. I know he looked good in kickoff coverage.

63) Marcus Cooper, CB, #33

Cooper didn't really stand out that much, though I saw him on the field for a while. He helped stop a WR short of the first down marker on a 3rd down pass (he wasn't responsible for the receiver). He also did a good job in run support. Totally unspectacular, but maybe enough to earn a practice squad spot at this point.

64) Chuck Jacobs, WR, #1

Jacbos actually looked really good all things considered. Did a great job setting into a soft spot in the coverage for a big gain on a pass play. Looked god on his quick WR screen, but needs to do a better job of staying in bounds (seemed like he had room to work with). He did have a a really strong block on a big Dixon run that was ultimately called back. Working for a practice squad spot.

65) Darryl Morris, CB, #38

Seemingly every year there's this one guy who makes the team that leaves us scratching our head and going 'who?!' He gets my prediction this year, and it starts with the fact that he was a starter on Special Teams. Morris was routinely the first man downfield on coverage teams (at least four times by my count). However, he was also routinely the first man to miss the tackle. He did have a really solid block on Cox's shorter punt return. Didn't notice him on defense at all, but the fact that he was so visible on Special Teams might earn him one of those magical Special Teams roster spots that leave us utterly confused.

66) Lamar Divens, DT, #92

Divens played almost entirely against third string blockers, but he was very disruptive playing against them. He was plenty stout against the run, routinely plugging holes and refusing to give up his ground in the middle. He did okay in the passing game (I noticed him getting good pressure once). He did take himself out of a play by biting hard on the playaction which helped allow for a decent gain.

67) Kevin McDermott, LS, #47

Anyone predicting a practice squad without McDermott on there may want to pay closer attention. He was just the longsnapper (from what I saw), but he performed that duty exceptionally well and to a degree that might mimic that of Brian Jennings. Given that Jennings is 36 and on the 2nd to last year of his deal, keeping another solid LS around to handle those duties for a long time might be a good idea.

68) DJ Harper, HB, #36

He's getting playing time based on his willingness to pick up pass rushers. He was pretty much a nonfactor in the game minus the fumble (which he can hardly be blamed for) and a short pass that he did a good job holding onto. Given that he's playing over Jewell Hampton who had previously held onto a roster spot, I'm sure that bodes well. However, given that there are currently 5 RBs who would make the roster over him (6 if you include Miller, the FB), it's probably not looking like anything more than a practice squad audition.

69) Mike Purcell, DT, #64

Purcell only got in during the 4th quarter, but he played exceptionally well in his short stint (and is worthy of seeing what he might be able to do a bit earlier I think). He played on the nose while he was in, and was really strong in run defense, doing very well to plug holes. He also had really good awareness to chase down plays and take good angles while going after the QB (he put a good hit on Dysert). Was routinely around the ball on late runs, which is a good sign. He has really good size, and is an easy bet for the practice squad given that he plays the nose. 49ers website currently lists him as Purcell Mike as opposed to Mike Purcell. Just a fun note.

70) Jason Schepler, FB, #45

Looked good as a backup FB. Had a punishing pancake block on a Dixon run that got called back. Good hard lead blocking on another big Dixon run. Didn't notice him often otherwise.

71) Raymond Ventrone, S, #41

Noticed Ventrone only once, and it was him making a good block on a punt return. Otherwise, didn't catch him again.

72) MarQueis Gray, TE, #46

Only noticed him on two occasions. One, he made a good block on a big Dixon run. On the other, he was likely called for an illegal motion, false start, or something of that nature.

73) Cam Johnson, OLB, #50

I came away from this game incredibly disappointed in Cam Johnson given how often he was on the field. If you check the boxscore, it's not a mistake that he isn't listed as having made a tackle - he didn't get one. He didn't do anything all that positive for the majority of the time he was on the field. He whiffed on a Special Teams tackle that he should have made. He couldn't disengage from his blockers just about ever. He showed really poor awareness on a playaction and allowed Osweiler to get out of the pocket and make an easy pass that ended up going for a first down. The one time he did a good job and maintained containment like he was supposed to, he whiffed on the sack. Couldn't find anything good to write about him. If it wasn't for the fact that he apparently showed some promise in camp, I'd have him even lower.

74) Wayne Tribue, RG, #62

The fact that Tribue can be described as the best of all the 3rd string linemen that have no shot at making the team is a lot like being really satisfied that the drive-thru only partially screwed up your order. He was decent at his absolute best, which made him better than his counterparts. Had some decent run blocks, and on one play managed to get downfield and get a second block on a Dixon run. He wasn't quick enough to get out in front and be a lead blocker on a screen pass, so Dixon took off without him. He was routinely pushed back in pass blocking, and essentially gave up near the end on a block that got Tolzien crushed.

75) Colton Schmidt, P, #6

Had no complaints from the camp leg. Had good distance for the most part, and showed great speed to run down the kick returner from behind and avoid the horsecollar penalty. Good going camp leg!

76) Lavelle Hawkins, WR, #4

Complaint time - what are you doing wearing Andy Lee's jersey, Lavelle? This is an insult. I understand we ran out of jersey numbers, but split #84 with Brandon Carswell, he's not using it. Next, if you drop two straight catchable passes on the only balls coming to you while having more experience and career receptions than half the wide receivers on the roster, you get a spot below the camp leg in my power rankings.

77) Jewel Hampton, HB, #33

If you're a healthy scratch in a preseason game after having previously held a roster spot, and you lose any carries to an undrafted rookie that has no shot at making the team due to the incredible depth at the position, then you get the spot below the guy who got the spot below the camp leg.

78) Nate Stupar, ILB, #45

I changed my mind on the guy who's going to make the team that surprises the crap out of everyone - it's going to be Stupar. This also fulfills the need for there to be one guy on the team that should have been cut and gets meaningful playing time, all while screwing up repeatedly and leaving me yelling at the wall (my projector) or tv repeatedly for awful things to happen to him. Stupar reminded me a lot of post-eye injury Derek Smith. He was frequently around the ball and frequently not making plays there. He played an incredible amount of snaps and got gifted on the stat sheet with 2 solo tackles that I must have slept through. He ended up flat on his face after not making a tackle an incredible six times. There was one play where he badly missed a diving tackle by about 4 feet on a guy that didn't even have the ball. I can't even effectively make fun of that without feeling guilty like I'm picking on a Special Olympics participant or something.

79) Lawrence Okoye, DE, #78

Okoye got into the game with 4 minutes to go. On his first play, he was driven way back by a double team on a run play. On a playaction pass that resulted in a Skuta sack, he was able to recognize that it was a playaction, but wasn't in any position to do anything (not his fault). On the final play, he showed really poor technique and just looked really awkward trying to move around (as if he were thinking hard about the position he should be in). I apologize to all the Okoye fans out there, but at this point in time, he's just not a great player (when the coach that routinely goes out of his ways to talk up practice squad players as phenomenal says you need to improve to the point where you can be considered a bad football player, that's a sign that things aren't looking good). I think the best parallel to Okoye is when Brock Lesnar decided he wanted to be an NFL player. A freak athlete that was worth the chance for a preseason roster spot. The negative is, Lesnar played football in high school and didn't have to learn a whole new game. The good news is, Okoye is 5 years younger than Lesnar was when he tried, so there's a chance he could stick around long enough to learn. At this point, I'd question the logic of stashing him on the practice squad for the year because while it might not be a sexy thing to do, guys like Mike Purcell and Tony Jerod-Eddie are lightyears ahead of him. The good news is - he's not a third string offensive lineman.

80) Kenny Wiggins, LT, #69

Wiggins wasn't the 3rd string offensive left tackle. He was the second string left tackle. However, you could've fooled me. He was pretty awful in pass blocking situations, getting knocked over on one rush where McCoy had luckily already gotten rid of the ball (otherwise he would have been demolished). On another time he got beaten badly, McCoy had already gotten rid of the ball as Omameh was beaten worse by his. He gets a higher ranking than the other three linemen below him based on the fact that he was actually decent in the run blocking game, with a couple good driving blocks, and one time getting down to the second level on a James run. Very disappointing game, because I thought Wiggins would have been a great steal for another team off our waiver wire. He may get to stick around on our practice squad again, but just by the default not having another tackle option.

81) Al Netter, LG, #65

Al Netter gets the nod above the other two just because I thinks there needs to be more football players named Al - He sounds like a WR from the 50s (and I'm only partially kidding about the reason for his ranking). He wasn't able to get inside to make an important block on a Dixon run. He was driven back into Tolzien on a short pass play. He couldn't hold a block late which caused Tolzien to have to scramble. Just about the only good thing he did was make a block on a long Dixon run, but it wasn't so much a block as it was he was unintentionally strategically in the way to open a hole for Dixon to move through.

82) Carter Bykowski, LT, #71

Bykowski had a really rough game. He was beaten on a pass block that forced Tolzien out of the pocket on a couple occasions, and otherwise wasn't that great at holding his pass blocks in general. He also got caught holding on a long Dixon run. His only good play was a relatively unremarkable cut block on the Dixon run that was called back by Looney's phantom hold. Hopefully he picks up better. Maybe it was just nerves.

83) Patrick Omameh, RT, #66
Arrow Pointing: To his Communications and Sociology degrees

After one week, it's plenty clear that Omameh has nowhere to go but up...because he couldn't possibly be any worse. He wasn't able to remotely impede the defensive lineman whatsoever and McCoy had to get rid of the ball fast on one play. On the fumble, he decided to both not block anyone or pick up the fumble for that matter (neither were decisions I'd have made). Played so long he was still in the game near the end to lose his block and allow a sack on our final drive.

Unranked due to not performing with the team yet:

Tank Carradine, DE, #95
Brandon Carswell, WR, #84
Alex Debniak, FB, #44
Quinton Dial, DL, #71
Darius Fleming, LB, #58
Marcus Lattimore, RB, #38
Luke Marquardt, OT, #64
Quinton Patton, WR, #11
Eric Wright, CB, #??

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to update this until after the cuts Tuesday, and then - given that it'll be such a short turnaround before the next game, it'll likely be devoid of much commentary unless there's something I REALLY want to say.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archiving Preseason Week 2...Preseason Week 3 rankings will be updated on the first post in just a moment.

So this week, I decided to shave some of the time off that I spent by not summarizing my notes, and instead just sort of pasting them. This didn't save a ton of time, but every few seconds helped.

I've also already changed my formulas. I realized this week that if I didn't, there's no way Kaepernick would ever not be #1 given the giant drop-off between him and the 2nd QB (whoever that happens to be), and the ultra-importance of the QB position. So I decided, the 'importance of the position' thing was just going to be to set the base rankings, and from there I'll bump people up and down based on how they're doing (on a consistent basis). Now that there's a second week and obviously some movement in the rankings, I need to explain my 'Arrow Pointing' indicator. I've decided to keep that as an overall barometer of which way the player is going at the moment given where he may have been previously. This helps indicate which players only dropped in rankings because others did well, and other items like that.

1) Justin Smith, DL, #94
Last week: 2

Dude is always a hatputs. He only played the first series, but was a force once again. Got some great early pressure. On the 4th down play, he commanded a double team and held his ground well. Chiefs made the poor decision not to block him on a run play and he destroyed the back in the backfield.

2) Colin Kaepernick, QB, #7
Last Week: 1

This isn't really a knock on Kaepernick after the game, it's just Justin was really feisty this week, and I felt he deserved the bump based on my new system. Liked that he was downfield ready to block on Gore's long run, but thought better of laying out for it in the preseason. He did overthrow an open Chad Hall for a would-be TD.

3) Aldon Smith, OLB, #99
Last Week: 3

Only played the first series. Only noteable play was him getting pressure on Alex and forcing a rollout.

Last Week: 4

Didn't play.

Last Week: 5

Only played the first series. Helped stop a 3rd and 1 play as his noteable accomplishments in the short time. He was his usual self.

6) Frank Gore, HB, #21
Last Week: 9

My dear god, do I love me some Frank Gore. Gave Gore the big bump in the top 10 for his giant run.

7) Vernon Davis, TE, #85
Last Week: 6

Quiet and short night for Vernon. On Gore's long run, he was blocking all the way downfield, running with Gore.

8) Michael Crabtree, WR, #15
Arrow Pointing: Up with $$$
Last Week: 7

Still clear his absence is going to hurt. Get well soon, Crabs!

9) Tarell Brown, CB, #25
Last Week: 8

Only played the first series and was entirely unnoticeable. In other words, he shut his guy down while he was in.

10) Joe Staley, LT, #74
Last Week: 10

Played for the shortest amount of time on our starting offensive line. Solid all-around in the short time he was in.

Last Week: 11

Typical solid blocking for Boldin, but otherwise an uneventful preseason game.

12) Alex Boone, RG, #75
Last Week: 12

As a whole, the starters with the interior offensive line were pretty poor at picking up delayed blitzes with the exception of Boone, who easily stonewalled a delayed blitz. Had the best game of the starters. Only mistake was failing to block the linebacker on Gore's second run, and the linebacker made the tackle. He did a great job of getting to the second level on a James 7-yard run.

13) Ray McDonald, DE, #91
Last Week: 13

Once again, didn't play long. Had great penetration and a tackle on 3rd and 1. Got to the back early on 4th and inches, but couldn't quite wrap up the back.

14) Mike Iupati, LG, #77
Last Week: 14

Not the most spectacular of games in the short time he was in. He couldn't quite get to his assignment which forced Gore to change directions on his long run. He didn't see a delayed blitz coming and instead decided to unnecessarily doubleteam the defensive tackle allowing the linebacker to come in free for a sack. Overall, he didn't look particularly great in pass blocking.

15) Ahmad Brooks, OLB, #55
Last Week: 15

Played well in his time in. Had good coverage on an underneath route to help force a throwaway. Just missed a sack but had great pressure on a third down throw.

16) Anthony Davis, RT, #76
Last Week: 16

Had a really quiet sound game. Provided the block that helped open up the cutback lane for Gore on his big run, but otherwise wasn't overly noticeable.

17) Andy Lee, P, #4
Last Week: 17

Andy Lee is a really cool guy. He decided to let camp leg, Colton Schmidt wear his jersey and join the starting punt unit on the first punt of the game (which explains the shank). After that, he thought it was better to come in and handle the duties himself. Solid decision.

18) Donte Whitner, SS, #31
Last Week: 18

He played for a while, but had no notes for him.

19) Mario Manningham, WR, #82
Last Week: 19

Obviously didn't play. Have his arrow pointing slightly down with the inevitable news that he will begin the season on the PUP list, which means we won't see him until the second half of the season likely.

20) Carlos Rogers, CB, #22
Last Week: 20

Good quiet night for Rogers. Had good coverage on Baldwin to prevent a deep out option on an Alex rollout.

21) Eric Reid, FS, #35
Last Week: 21

A bit quieter of a game from a tackle standpoint, but even so - he was responsible in coverage, and allowed no big plays. He was about to absolutely destroy John Baldwin, but did a good job of holding up when the receiver didn't catch the ball. And man did he have great quick pressure on a 3rd down to make Alex fear for his life.

22) Phil Dawson, K, #9
Last Week: 27

Gave Dawson a much deserved big boost after his perfect 3 for 3 day with one attempt over 40 and two over 50. I don't mind him not laying out to stop the returner in the preseason, but if it's the regular season you need to at least pretend to make a tackle (not a knock this week, just an observation).

23) Kendall Hunter, HB, #32
Last Week: 22

Finally cleared to start practicing again, which is good news, but did not play this week.

24) Chris Culliver, CB, #29
Last Week: 23

Lost for the season, I still place him here because of the uncertainty we're currently facing with our 3rd CB situation. Obviously he's not going to play this year, and it remains to be seen how much he'll be missed.

25) Vance McDonald, TE, #89
Last Week: 24

Minor injury, but nonetheless, McDonald didn't play this week. Really looking to see how he continues to gel with the offense.

26) Daniel Kilgore, C, #67
Last Week: 25

Didn't have quite as good a game as last week, but still played really well overall. Solid job opening up holes for Hampton on a bunch of runs, including one pancake block on a Hampton 10-yard gain. Also did a really great job at handling the NT on a short gain deep in our own territory. On one play, he had a good initial block on his guy, but he ended up losing it as Hampton tried to bounce outside, and his guy made the stop. Got beat by a good pass rush move and ended up holding to keep the guy off of McCoy, negating Jenkins' only completion. Also had to help Looney on a block, and his original man stunted back inside and wound up with a sack.

27) Bruce Miller, FB, #49
Last Week: 26

Short night for Bruce. Only had one noticeable play - a positive one: did a good job picking up Iupati's assignment keeping the defender off Gore so he could change directions on his big run. After that, the FB reps went primarily to Anthony Dixon.

28) Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, #24
Last Week: 28

Gave Nnamdi the edge over Brock this week. Was really solid again. He was initially beaten, but ended up with good coverage on a deep pass - might have had interference, though. Fantastic coverage on a 3rd and 4 play. Great pressure on a blitz forcing an errant throw.

29) Tramaine Brock, CB, #26

Didn't play poorly, necessarily, but as I had them tied last week, a couple slip-ups gave Asomugha the nod for me this week. Brock had good recognition of a run play, but whiffed on the tackle in the backfield. He was also beat on a post, but the receiver dropped the ball. Otherwise he was in for a while and had pretty solid coverage throughout;

30) Ian Williams, NT, #93
Last Week: 30

Once again started at nose tackle, and once again performed really well. Got great pressure on the first play of the game, and then a couple times after that. Absolutely refused to be moved out of the way on a 3rd and 1 run against the starters despite being doubleteamed. Only negative was on the 4th and inches run where he overpursued slightly.

31) Michael Wilhoite, ILB, #57
Last Week: 33

Once again had a tremendous showing while filling in for Willis. It's pretty safe to say he's cemented his spot on the active roster, and certainly makes me feel fine with our depth at ILB. Once again had a great nose for the ball, and really fit right in with the first team defense. Had phenomenal inside pressure on a blitz to force an Alex throwaway. Needed to hit his hole with more authority on 4th and inches, as the back spun right around him. Made a quick stop on a quick pass. Filled a gap and made a sure tackle of the back for a short gain. Had good coverage on the tight end on a 3rd down pass, and great coverage on a pass to Dwayne Bowe.

32) LaMichael James, RB, #23
Last Week: 31

I knocked him down a spot not because he didn't perform well, but because I thought Wilhoite played that well. That said, he had terrible blitz pickup on the Jordan sack. Otherwise he was solid - had a good first kick return and was quick and shifty while going through the holes.

33) Perrish Cox, CB, #20
Last Week: 35

Cox had another phenomenal showing. Showed good speed trying to stay with Demps on the KR TD, but not good enough (obviously). Did a good job to get to Alex on a blitz for the technical sack (he hung on to his leg for dear life at any rate). Made a great tackle on a short pass on 3rd and long to stop the receiver well short. He allowed a 3rd down conversion with sloppy coverage on a short pass, but did make the tackle. I don't like bringing out kickoffs from 8 yards deep, but had good vision to find the hole on the play, and if he had better balance he may have broken it all the way, but at least got past the 20. Did a great job coming up quick to stop his man short of the sticks on a 2nd down play - which was called back by penalty anyway. Had great coverage on a 3rd down pass, able to break it up. Obviously finished with 2 sacks.

34) Corey Lemonier, OLB, #96
Last Week: 34

Had another good game. Was visible in a positive way on kick returns, and made one good stop on one of them. He had phenomenal pressure on a delayed screen, forcing the right tackle to be unable to release and set up the wall as he had to keep Lemonier off of Alex. He had good inside pressure and ended up with a sack. Had solid recognition of a short pass to push the receiver out of bounds after a minimal gain.

35) Jonathan Goodwin, C, #59
Last Week: 32

Had a relatively average sort of evening, but didn't play as bad as his drop in the rankings suggests (had to move Cox up). Didn't particularly hold his block very long on Gore's big run which helped clog up the initial hole. Did have a great driving block to open hole on Gore's second run, but it was quickly plugged by a linebacker. Didn't pay attention to blitzing linebackers allowing one straight up the middle forcing McCoy to take off.

36) Glenn Dorsey, NT, #90
Last Week: 36

Again played well, but not quite to the level that Williams has been playing at. He had great penetration on a 3rd and 1 to help stop it short. Also had great penetration on 4th down, and tripped up the back, but the back did spin for a first. Otherwise, it was relatively quiet for him.

37) Parys Haralson, OLB, #98
Last Week: 39.

Really having a great preseason so far. He was easily moved out of the way on a run play (was double teamed, so it's to be expected). Did a good job making Alex uncomfortable on third and long on a 3-man rush. Had great pressure on Alex on Jerod-Eddie's roughing the passer play. Got great pressure throughout, in fact. Kept working and got to Alex for a sack. Blocked a punt and recovered it - great work - making himself indispensible.

38) Kyle Williams, WR, #10
Last Week: 37

Didn't play.

39) CJ Spillman, FS, #27
Last Week: 38

Had a relatively average game. He was his usual self on Special Teams, which will always be important for him. He absolutely blew up his guy on the opening kickoff, but wasn't in position to make a play on the returner.Had good blocking on James' first kick return. On defense, did a good job of being around pass plays and showed good range. He had great pressure on a blitz, but missed the sack (Lemonier got it).

40) Brian Jennings, LS, #86
Arrow Pointing: Slightly down
Last Week: 40

Didn't have many snaps, but they were perfect as usual. His spot on the team isn't as comfy and safe as it usually is, and it has nothing to do with play, but rather everything to do with age and economics. McDermott has done very well in the same role, and so well to the point that we may not be able to stash him away safely on our practice squad. Tough decisions will be made.

41) Marlon Moore, WR, #19
Last Week: 41

Once again, if you blinked - you would have missed him. He was a starter and had great blocking downfield on Gore's big run; FANTASTIC speed on that play - he was behind the original hole, ran clear across the field to help block a safety. Had good blocking on Gore's second run as well. Being a willing blocker is certainly going to help his cause, of course, but it would be nice to see him get some real work in.

42) Dan Skuta, OLB, #51
Last Week: 42

Didn't quite have the game he did last week, but still looked good overall. Made a good tackle to stop opening kick return. He had good containment, but stumbled a bit allowing a decent gain on a run play (still ended up making the tackle). Good pressure that caused Alex to take off - he stopped him just short of the first down marker, too (1-yard gain). Had decent pressure to help force Alex into a sack. One problem was he wasn't quite as consistent as last week. He had good coverage and did a good job of stopping the receiver after the catch, but still allowed a first down. Did a good job making up for overpursuing by getting back to the back and stopping him for a short gain. Great job wrapping up the back in the backfield on a 4th and short run.

43) DeMarcus Dobbs, DE, #83
Lasst Week: 43

Would have thought about giving him a ranking bump if it wasn't for the completely boneheaded unnecessary roughness penalty in the second half. Otherwise, he played really well. Had good blocking on James' first KR. Got good penetration and had great recognition to sniff out a run play for a short gain. Great penetration throughout, in fact. Remained very stout on a run up the middle, and generally held his ground throughout.

44) Anthony Dixon, RB, #24
Last Week: 46

Last week, Dixon was plenty active as our workhorse back, and this week he didn't even register a carry. Still, he was very active in the run game, playing fullback for a majority of it, and ended up doing pretty well (though he got off to a slower start). He was also effective on Special Teams. Was the first man down in punt coverage, almost made a brilliant play, but slowed the returner long enough for his teammates to get there. Had a good block on a kick return. Didn't hold block long enough as FB and James got thrown for a loss. Had a good pickup on a run blitz, but Hampton got stuffed by someone else on the play. Got better at blocking as the game went on - had a good lead block on a Hampton 6-yard run, a solid lead block on a 2nd quarter short run, and a good lead block on a 10-yard run. Good delayed blitz pickup from the FB spot; and overall had great pass protection and did a great job keeping a blitzing linebackers from the QB. One thing I noticed - he was successful at getting to and holding his blocks, but not doing a phenomenal job of opening holes in doing so.

45) Craig Dahl, FS, #43
Last Week: 45

Was nothing overly special this week, and already looks like the third best safety on the team, but now might be giving up ground to Robinson as well. He maintained his assignment to a fault on the Demps return TD - stayed in his lane a bit too long and was unable to get over in time to make the tackle. Wasn't particularly active or effective on Special Teams overall. Did do a good job of sniffing out run plays while playing defense, though. Came up and filled laned on a few occasions.

46) Garrett Celek, TE, #88
Last Week: 47

Celek had an okay game, but struggled early on in blocking scenarios (minus Special Teams, where he did well). Had a lazy block attempt on his man on a screen pass that got James stopped in backfield. Had a good block on James' first KR. Just held his block long enough to allow James to sneak past on a 7-yard run. Struggled on a run black where Hampton got stopped early. He couldn't move his guy who ended up plugging a hole on a Hampton run that went nowhere. Did a good job getting open on 3rd down, but McCoy overthrew him. Good job cutting his route slightly short to get open, but unable to get the first on a short 2nd down pass. Great catch on a low pass that he was able to pick up and run with for a few extra yards. In the second half, he started getting progressively better on run blocks.

47) Trenton Robinson, FS, #30
Last Week: 48

Was very active on Special Teams (with mixed results). Was the first one down on opening kickoff - couldn't make tackle. Had good blocking on a punt return that was fair caught, though. Was held on the Demps return by 2 guys and was unable to make the tackle (could've been called, but not blatant) which caused the open lane on the return. Made a mental mistake not to get back on the field of play in punt coverage. Had a nice pancake block on a kickoff return. On defense, he did a good job coming up in coverage to help make the stop on a short pass. He came running up on a run play and put a decent hit on the back to stop him from chugging out more yards. He had great recognition of a short pass, shot upfield, but couldn't make the tackle.

48) Adam Snyder, OL, #68
Last Week: 44

Snyder was a quick substitution for Staley in the game, and got to give us an idea of what an offensive line featuring Snyder instead of Staley at left tackle might look like (hint: not pretty). Horrible blocking on a run play and his guy easily shed and made the tackle for a 1-yard gain; Slightly impeded the rusher on a 3rd and 5 but if McCoy didn't take off that would have been an easy sack. He gave up a quick pressure forcing Tolzien to make an errant throw on 4th down. He and Looney together couldn't quite hold a pass block, helping to force Tolzien to throw an errant pass. Just not a great night overall.

49) Austin Collie, WR, #6
Last Week: 49

Not getting much time to work out there. Only came in when Daniels was the QB, and had a decent route for a first down catch. Otherwise absent, and it kind of makes me wonder about his actual chances at making the roster.

50) Chad Hall, WR, #14
Last Week: 51

He's not setting the world on fire, no, but he's getting open (and considering how nobody's really separated themselves from the pack in this WR competition, that might be enough to earn him a job. He got open deep, but Kaep overthrew him for what would have been a sure TD. Great job to catch a long pass on 3rd down inbetween two defenders. He's such a willing blocker - really hustles to go after guys. Had a good out route - got open for a 14 yard gain.

51) Nick Moody, ILB, #54
Last Week: 52

Once again had a really good overall game on both defense and special teams, and I feel comfortable with him in the 4th ILB role. Had decent pressure on an up the middle blitz. Did a great job filling a hole and making a quick stop for a short gain. Had great recognition on an Alex scramble, stayed with the RB to make sure there couldn't be a dump-off, fought through that RB's block attempt, and forced Alex out of bounds short of the marker. Did a great job on a blitz to get immediate pressure up the middle, and lit up the back on a pass play. Didn't have the greatest coverage against Fasano, but hung with him and made the tackle short of the marker. Once again had good pressure up the middle to help force Alex into a sack. Had great penetration on a run blitz, but just missed the ball carrier in the backfield. When he wasn't blitzing or in coverage, he did a great job always being around the ball, which is what are inside backers are known for.

52) BJ Daniels, QB, #5
Arrow Pointing: Way Up
Last Week: 62

Last week I had no idea what to do with him because of how he was used, and this week when he was just a QB, I have a great idea where to put him - as the second best QB. He still has work to be done for sure, but he was the only backup QB who looked at all comfortable at any point this preseason (and seeing as it was his first ever NFL action at QB, I'd say that's impressive). Had a bad overthrow to Jacobs on his first pass with Gray open underneath. Made a really good out throw to the back shoulder to Jacobs, but Jacobs was unable to make the play. Showed great escapability throughout, and did a good job escaping a sack and then picking up a few yards on a scramble. Showed a great nose for the first down marker on a QB draw. Showed good escapability in pocket again, but needs to get rid of the ball quicker. Made a good decision to keep the ball on the read option. Made a perfect pass on a fade to Jacobs for our only TD of the preseason so far.

53) Will Tukuafu, DL, #48
Last Week: 57

Tukuafu is a big mover this week (in comparison to a lot of others anyway) after a solid game, but his move up had just as much to do with the general absence or poor play of the guys he passed as it did his own play. Had a great wall-off block on James first KR. Did a great job carrying his blocker with him to the ball to stop any chance on a run that went nowhere. Had great interior pressure against first team line forcing a quick dump off. He recognized too late that it was a screen play and allowed the back to get open. Had good interior pressure, and almost batted a ball down. Did a good job moving down line and tripping up the RB after a decent gain. Overall, he was very disruptive on the line, and looked better than he did last week.

54) Colt McCoy, QB, #2
Last Week: 55

McCoy moving up in the rankings is just pure happenstance. He had good pass placement on a throw to Jenkins but it was broken up by great coverage. Did a great job pulling the ball down and running on a 3rd and long for the first, and really showed great scrambling ability overall (what gives him the edge over Tolzien in both these rankings and for his potential spot on the roster). He overthrew an open Celek on 3rd down. Threw off his back foot on a terrible pass that was intercepted. Made a good touch pass to find Chad Hall for a first down in second half.

55) Scott Tolzien, QB, #3
Last Week: 50

Another pretty poor game for Tolzien, and with the emergence of BJ Daniels this week, his spot is in REAL trouble (he went from the defeault #2 guy to probably the #4 guy). He couldn't handle what seemed like a good snap from Goodwin. Needed to lead his receiver better on 3rd and long pass, he almost got picked. Had good vision to see Hall having a step on the DB on a play where Hall was interfered with (Ricky Tack penalty there, though). Made a poor pass to Osgood that was way too low. Had one great pass that split some defenders to Hall on 3rd down.

56) Kassim Osgood, WR, #13
Last Week: 53

Osgood came back to earth after a pretty great week one showing. Was pretty unremarkable this week. Was the first man down in kick coverage on a 2nd quarter kick, but ran past the returner. He was targeted on 4th down, but couldn't make a play for the ball. Made a good block to wall off a defender on a Hampton 10-yard run.

57) Michael Thomas, S, #36
Last Week: 58

Had a solid game on Special Teams. He had good blocking on the opening kick return of the second half. Made a great play by being the first man down in kickoff coverage and bringing the returner down quickly. Otherwise, he was quiet in a good way.

58) Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, #63
Last Week: 59

Jerod-Eddie once again was incredibly solid throughout the game, but the biggest problem he faces is he's the 7th best defensive lineman on a 3-4 team, and that's not including Carradine or Dial. Had good pressure up the middle against first team line. Showed really good recognition of a screen pass, and showed decent speed to track the back downfield. Was easily moved out of the way on a run play, but Wilhoite filled the gap. He had great pressure, but hit Alex hard helmet to helmet - has to show better awareness in that instance, though his form was fine. Had good pressure again forcing Alex to reset. Did a good job moving down the line, and spinning out of a block into the hole, and finishing it off with the tackle on a short gain. Had great pressure up the middle to help collapse the pocket on a Cox sack.

59) Joe Looney, OL, #78
Last Week: 54

I'd love to rank him lower, but truthfully I wouldn't have a clue who to realistically move up. Looney has played very poorly against anyone that isn't fighting for a practice squad spot on other teams. On one play, he ran RIGHT past the linebacker who plugged the hole on a stop in the backfield without so much as touching him. He decided not to block Tamba Hali on a run play, and Hali predictably made the tackle. He whiffed on a pass block, but recovered in time as the defender got too far upfield. He was only slightly better to open the second half. Had a lazy block attempt while trying to get to the second level. He couldn't handle his man on a pass on a play that resulted in a sack when Kilgore had to help. Things didn't get better when he moved to center either. He was called for an obvious hold. Joe Looney's spot on the 53-man roster isn't in question, but that's because there are zero other options and the team would be pretty daring to try and carry only 7 linemen.

60) Ricardo Lockette, WR, #18
Last Week: 56

I think I'm mostly disappointed that I allowed myself to get unnecessarily excited about Lockette. He was almost entirely absent save for being the first man down on one punt return (but he wasn't able to make the play and it turned into a huge return).

61) Chuck Jacobs, WR, #1
Last Week: 64

Jacobs is showing plenty at the end of games to earn a spot on the practice squad. He probably could have made a play on a back shoulder pass but was unable to come down with the ball. Made a great leaping catch of a high Daniels pass. Had great concentration to make sure he stayed in bounds on the TD reception (you qualify to move up the rankings when you have the only TD of the preseason thus far).

62) Darryl Morris, CB, #38
Last Week: 65

Given that the coaches consistently have Cooper in late in the preseason games, and Morris only saw maybe one or two snaps, I think the coaches might have Cooper slightly higher rated from a defensive standpoint. But when it comes to Special Teams, Morris has been lights out, IMO. Again, when he was playing, he was routinely the first man down on no less than 4 instances. He shows really good speed to get down there, and this week even ended up with a tackle as well. Still my sleeper pick for a spot on the 53-man.

63) Darcel McBath, S, #28
Last Week: 60

McBath was mostly absent again aside from showing great speed to run down the punt returner after a long return. I may be underrating him some, because he clearly hasn't given up anything while playing defense, but I believe Thomas and Morris have both jumped him in terms of usefulness.

64) Nate Stupar, ILB, #45
Last Week: 78

After a crummy week last week, I have to give him his due for bouncing back and having a pleasantly surprising solid game. This week he was routinely around the ball again, only this time was making the tackles. He plugged a hole on the first run play while he was in. He made a curious decision to attempt to block only the 2nd man coming his way and allowing the first to get past on a punt return (ended up being fair caught). He took himself out of the play by hitting the wrong hole on a 3rd and 1 that went for a large gain. Had a really good block on Cox's 2nd half opening kick return. Was called for being illegally downfield in punt coverage. Had great pressure on a blitz and picked up a sack. Showed great leaping ability to get up and bat down a pass. Night and day from last week to this week - wrapping up and making tackles.

65) Marcus Cooper, CB, #33
Last Week: 63

Wasn't very visible, which mostly was a good thing. He only dropped a few spots because of players moving up. He was held on a screen pass, but it wasn't called. He then got called for holding on a punt return, which was unneeded, as the ball went through the endzone.

66) Kevin McDermott, LS, #47
Last Week: 67

Another remarkably solid game as the longsnapper. Jennings would still be the preferred choice to keep around in normal circumstances, but if McDermott keeps snapping as well as he has, he'll be much harder to stash on the practice squad for the year, and that could force a difficult decision.

67) AJ Jenkins, WR, #17
Arrow Pointing: To Kansas City
Last Week: 61

I'm willing to bet money that he doesn't make our 53-man roster this year.

68) Lamar Divens, DT, #92
Last Week: 66

Did nothing in particular to drop in the rankings. Just had a couple other people step up. He was too easily driven out of the way on a run play that ultimately went nowhere. Had great interior pressure by nearly pushing his blocker into the QB. In fact, he did a great job of overpowering his guy on pass rushes overall. Showed good power in the run game to keep in position and plug holes. He blew up a run play with great penetration on 4th down.

69) Mike Purcell, DT, #64
Last Week: 69

Purcell remains one of my favorite young linemen for the practice squad, at least as far as it goes with him facing guys playing in the 4th quarter. Did a really good job refusing to be moved and getting involved on a run tackle for no gain. He had great pressure up the middle to collapse the pocket on Cox's second sack. He played at all three defensive line spots including nose - speaks well for his versatility. He had solid pressure up the middle and ended up with a sack when Daniels had nowhere else to go. He fought through a double team and still managed to hold ground and plug the hole on a short run. Did a great job getting a hand up to bat down a pass at the line of scrimmage.

70) Jewel Hampton, HB, #33
Last Week: 77

First - my apologies for calling him a healthy scratch last week, as he didn't play due to a minor injury. This week, he obviously didn't look spectacular for a variety of reasons, but most of them had to do with the offensive line play. When there were holes, he hit them, and proved difficult to bring down. He did miss a cutback lane on a run that went nowhere. Made a good blitz pickup to cut off a blitzing linebacker allowing McCoy to escape the pocket for a big run. Ran a good underneath route for a run and catch for a gain of 6. Again missed the cutback lane - not showing great vision; Refused to go down on one play, breaking a few tackles for about 6 yards. Hard to bring down in some instances, even if they aren't gaining many yards. Good vision and cuts through the hole on a 5-yard run. When he had holes, he hit them - good job spinning and showed good balance on a 10-yard run. Fell down while trying to make a cut for a 2-yard loss on a swing pass (technically a run). Decent catch and run out of the backfield on 3rd and super long, but didn't come close to the first down yardage. Great run up the middle on a draw play. Big whiff on blitz pickup allowing a sack.

71) DJ Harper, HB, #36
Last Week: 68

It's clear he's behind Hampton in the pecking order, which means he's not likely looking at any sort of roster spot. He did do a really good job on Special Teams this week, however. Had good coverage on a punt and was able to bring down the returner after a short return. Had a couple punt coverage tackles.

72) MarQueis Gray, TE, #46
Last Week: 74

I was hoping to see far more of him with McDonald out to see how he might be able to fit on the team. Looks really strong as a TE given that he's a converted QB. Made a pretty good block on the outside on a run that was ultimately stopped in the backfield. More good blocking again on a run that went nowhere. Did a good job of getting open, catching the ball and picking up a few extra yards in our own territory.

73) Jason Schepler, FB, #45
Last Week: 70

Hard to really guage how Schepler did since the lion's share of backup FB reps went to Dixon. After a Gray reception, he raced up the field to get out in front as a lead blocker and took a safety out of the picture. Couldn't get his hands on the outside man and allowed the guy to block the extra point.

74) Cam Johnson, OLB, #50
Last Week: 73

Played slightly better this week on occasion, but mostly was still terribly ineffective for long spurts. Almost a blocked punt. He beat a block to stop a back for a short gain. Fantastic stunt inside...and whiffed on the sack. Was left unblocked and was able to get a sack on the final play, but it wasn't really enough to make me forget all the other forgettable plays (a paradox for all of you).

75) Lavelle Hawkins, WR, #4
Last Week: 76

He may have had a pair of receptions, but he's not fooling me...I remembered him from last week.

76) Colton Schmidt, P, #6
Last Week: 75

No complaints of the camp leg once again. This week he couldn't quite come up with a diving tackle on a big return like he did last week.

77) Raymond Ventrone, S, #41
Last Week: 71

Hard to rank a backup Special Teams player who has been injured...but not hard enough to know he goes above the 3rd string offensive linemen.

78) Kenny Wiggins, LT, #69
Last Week: 80

He actually didn't struggle nearly as much as last week, and for that I gave him the bump to the top of the 3rd string linemen (where he truthfully should have been to begin with). He couldn't hold block on a run play, and his guy jumped into the hole and helped stop Hampton for no gain. Did a good job getting to second level and getting a block on a linebacker on a Hampton 10-yard run. Good job getting to the second level on a draw that gained some good yards, but the block was pretty lazy.

79) Lawrence Okoye, DE, #78
Last Week: 79

Okoye got in for just a couple extra plays than last week. The question with Okoye is going to be whether or not he shows enough promise to be worth storing away on the practice squad (I'm guessing it's less than a 50% chance). He did get decent pressure on one pass play, but was pretty well handled after that.

80) Wayne Tribue, RG, #62

Didn't do nearly as well this week, which is hard to comprehend given how generally poor he was last week. He got beaten slightly on a pass, but recovered well enough to hold the block. He blocked the wrong guy on a pull and the guy he should have picked up threw Hampton for a loss. Couldn't quite get his man out of the way on a short gain, but showed great awareness to go after the loose ball that it didn't seem like anyone other than the players and refs saw (I guess they're all that matters). Allowed way too much pressure inside forcing McCoy to get antsy on his INT. Had one really good block on a 6-yard run, but followed it up with two separate poor block attempts on a run that went nowhere. Didn't hold his pass block very well allowing pressure up the middle on a Colt McCoy throw. Did a good job opening up a hole on Hampton's 10-yard run and had a great block to open a hole on a Hampton 6-yard run. It sounds better than it was, because I didn't bother mentioning the majority of plays where he struggled.

81) Carter Bykowski, LT, #71
Last Week: 82

Gets a one spot bump for being slightly less poor than Netter. Was actually respectable for most of his short night, until he was was driven back into the RB on a run play creating a loss.

82) Al Netter, LG, #65
Last Week: 81

Netter was just as bad as last week, if not somehow worse. He had a terrible block attempt on a run play deep in our own territory that nearly resulted in a safety. Was driven back pretty easily in pass protection forcing Daniels to scramble. He got called for holding. Not good.

[b]Last Week: 83

I don't know what Harbaugh ever saw in him, but Omameh is plenty bad. Prime example - he got pushed back while trying to provide help on a block, which is awkward as Tribue was the one receiving the force of the defender. He whiffed on everybody on a run play that went for a short gain. Barely did enough to keep his guy off of McCoy on McCoy's INT. He got pushed all the way back into Tolzien causing a third down throw to go errant. One positive note - he did a great job of seeing a linebacker coming up to stop a run play and did a good job of putting a block on him - only problem was, he blocked him right into the ball carrier. Played some guard and was pretty terrible there, too, with the one exception of having a really good block at RG on a Hampton 6-yard run;

Unranked due to not performing with the team yet:

Tank Carradine, DE, #95
Brandon Carswell, WR, #84
Alex Debniak, FB, #44
Quinton Dial, DL, #71
Darius Fleming, LB, #58
Marcus Lattimore, RB, #38
Luke Marquardt, OT, #64
Quinton Patton, WR, #11
Eric Wright, CB, #??

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archiving Preseason Week 3...New rankings up on the first page in a few moments!

Just a quick update this week. People who are no longer on the active roster are removed.

1) Justin Smith, DL, #94
Last week: 1

2) Colin Kaepernick, QB, #7
Last Week: 2

3) Aldon Smith, OLB, #99
Last Week: 3

Last Week: 4

Last Week: 5

6) Frank Gore, HB, #21
Last Week: 6

7) Vernon Davis, TE, #85
Last Week: 7

8) Tarell Brown, CB, #25

9) Joe Staley, LT, #74

10) Alex Boone, RG, #75
Last Week: 12

Gave Boone the bump over Boldin just due to the fact that Boldin hasn't shown up much in the stat sheet and there's more film on Boone in the preseason (and Boone has been our 2nd best lineman, IMO).

Last Week: 11

12) Ray McDonald, DE, #91
Last Week: 13

13) Mike Iupati, LG, #77
Last Week: 14

14) Ahmad Brooks, OLB, #55
Last Week: 15

15) Anthony Davis, RT, #76
Last Week: 16

16) Andy Lee, P, #4
Last Week: 17

17) Donte Whitner, SS, #31
Last Week: 18

18) Eric Reid, FS, #35
Last Week: 21

Some extra love for our first rounder who just locked down the starting FS job on arguably the best defense in the NFL.

19) Carlos Rogers, CB, #22
Last Week: 20

20) Phil Dawson, K, #9
Last Week: 22

I'm over the first preseason game.

21) Kendall Hunter, HB, #32
Last Week: 23

Would have gotten a bump up the rankings even without taking two players out. Looked sharp in his brief action for his return.

22) Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, #24

Asomugha gets to shoot far up the rankings by locking down the #3 job (which may as well be a starter for our defense considering he'll play more than the NT).

23) Vance McDonald, TE, #89
Last Week: 25

Still looking good.

24) Daniel Kilgore, C, #67
Last Week: 26

If we had a 9th OL that was worth keeping, I'd be in favor of cutting Goodwin, saving the money, and inserting Kilgore. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility still, but there'd have to be a cheap interior lineman available on the waiver wire.

25) Bruce Miller, FB, #49
Last Week: 27

26) Ian Williams, NT, #93
Last Week: 30

Probably locked up the starting NT job. He's been great all preseason.

27) Michael Wilhoite, ILB, #57
Last Week: 31

Seems odd having the first player who will be primarily a backup (and Special Teams player) over some who will likely contribute far more, but Wilhoite has really impressed me this preseason, and his nose for the ball should still translate on Special Teams.

28) Corey Lemonier, OLB, #96
Last Week: 34

No question about it - Parys Haralson was expendable because of how remarkable Lemonier has looked all preseason. He'll have a role beyond Special Teams this year.

29) LaMichael James, RB, #23
Last Week: 32

Hasn't necessarily looked bad this preseason, but he hasn't really shown that he needs a bigger role with Hunter returning either.

30) Jonathan Goodwin, C, #59
Last Week: 35

Looked mostly good in the Vikings game. I'd bet on him starting, but I wouldn't bet on him being a 49er longer than this season.

31) Glenn Dorsey, NT, #90
Last Week: 36

Might not start, but will still factor heavily into our DL rotation.

32) Quinton Patton, WR, #11
Last Week: Unranked

Patton's sure getting a lot of love for his 4 catch game, but that was the most receptions by any WR for our team this preseason. There's plenty reason to be optimistic, and he's sure to earn himself some playing time on gamedays, perhaps more than the next few guys.

33) Tramaine Brock, CB, #26
Last Week: 29

4th CB simply doesn't play all that often on this team.

34) Perrish Cox, CB, #20
Last Week: 33

Crashed back to earth some this week. Didn't look awful, but did look like the 5th best CB on the team...which is to say he likely won't be seeing many defensive snaps.

35) Kyle Williams, WR, #10
Last Week: 38

Gets to move up on account of many guys in front of him disappearing from the rankings for a while (or permenantly in the case of Haralson). Will probably start over Patton, but Patton's earned some reps.

36) CJ Spillman, FS, #27
Last Week: 39

Still hasn't looked bad at safety, and will make the team by being one of our best Special Teams players.

37) Marlon Moore, WR, #19
Last Week: 41

Still looking solid when he's in, and has essentially guaranteed himself a spot on the squad, something I would have thought absurd 2 months ago.

38) DeMarcus Dobbs, DE, #83
Lasst Week: 43

Looking better and better.

39) Brian Jennings, LS, #86
Arrow Pointing: Slightly down
Last Week: 40

40) Anthony Dixon, RB, #24
Last Week: 44

Getting better at FB with more reps. Usually earns double teams on Special Teams coverage units.

41) Dan Skuta, OLB, #51
Last Week: 42

His mostly solid play on defense also helped make Haralson expendable.

42) Jonathan Baldwin, WR, #84

Had a solid first outing, certainly more than Jenkins had done for us.

43) Craig Dahl, FS, #43
Last Week: 45

Still don't see him missing the team. His Special Teams coverage was great against the Vikings, and has more experience at safety than Spillman and Robinson (and hasn't looked bad there).

44) BJ Daniels, QB, #5
Arrow Pointing: Way Up
Last Week: 52

I don't care what Coach Harbaugh has to say about the backup QB spot. I know what my eyes tell me.

45) Nick Moody, ILB, #54
Last Week: 51

Moody still shows a good nose for the ball, and has been very active on Special Teams. Hard to see him not making the roster.

46) Adam Snyder, OL, #68
Last Week: 48

Was okay against the Vikings, but is mostly below average.

47) Colt McCoy, QB, #2
Last Week: 54

He moves up based on whatever it is Harbaugh has been smoking.

48) Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, #63
Last Week: 58

Jerod-Eddie has been a mixed bag here on the forums, but having watched him closely - he's doing all the right things a lineman should do, and is getting plenty of work early in the rotation. Don't be shocked if he makes the roster and isn't the guy that's cut when Dobbs comes back from suspension Week 2 (Carradine will be a different story...).

49) Garrett Celek, TE, #88
Last Week: 46

Not helping himself out with all the drops. He's still got decent value as a blocking TE, though, so will probably stick around based on that.

50) Trenton Robinson, FS, #30
Last Week: 47

It's not that he's played poorly, but he's a bubble player based on the fact that he's the 5th best safety on this team that might look to keep a 6th CB as the 10th DB.

51) Will Tukuafu, DL, #48
Last Week: 53

Hard to see where he fits in with the team longterm, despite him showing up in the top 53.

52) Kevin McDermott, LS, #47
Last Week: 66

He's getting more reps than Jennings, which is hard to guage...but he's younger and cheaper, and while $500K might not sound like a lot, that gets to be rolled over into next year...a year when we'll be looking to give a pretty penny to guys like Kaepernick, Aldon, Crabtree, and Iupati. I fully expect McDermott to be playing somewhere this year. He's been every bit as good as Jennings has, which isn't a knock on Jennings. It's a compliment for McDermott.

53) Darryl Morris, CB, #38
Last Week: 62

Got to see him a bit more this past week than usual, and he's still doing very well for himself. Still my sleeper pick for the 53-man (though becoming less of a sleeper), but I would also say the odds are better for Cooper than Morris (which if that doens't make sense to you, it doesn't have to...these are my rankings).

54) Marcus Cooper, CB, #33
Last Week: 65

Zero complaints with how Cooper has played. He's looked very good. I would give the nod to Morris more for his speed on Special Teams, but Cooper is bigger and might handle some of the NFC receivers better in a pinch (hopefully wouldn't be this year - no offense to Cooper).

55) Chad Hall, WR, #14
Last Week: 50

I love Chad Hall's willingness as a blocker, and it's not like he suddenly started playing worse...but after the Chiefs game, he was our 4th best healthy receiver...with Patton showing up and playing really well, and the more talented Baldwin arriving, suddenly Hall's a longshot, as he doesn't offer much in the way of Special Teams.

56) Kassim Osgood, WR, #13
Last Week: 56

Osgood is the opposite of Hall. He offers near nothing on offense, but a lot on Special Teams. If we keep a 6th WR, it's going to be mainly for his role on the Special Teams units, especially since some decisions will have to be made once Manningham and Crabtree are ready to come back.

57) MarQueis Gray, TE, #46
Last Week: 72

Again, not playing as much as I'd want him to, but he's been looking great when he's in there, and has moved up to a point where he has an outside shot at the 53-man roster (and if not, a hopeful practice squad addition for the year).

58) Michael Thomas, S, #36
Last Week: 57

At times, has looked better than Robinson on Special Teams. That might say something for him, but my guess is not.

59) Jewel Hampton, HB, #33
Last Week: 70

He looked better this week in a few areas, but there's still next to no chance he'll make the roster.

60) Austin Collie, WR, #6
Last Week: 49

Not getting the playing time, and isn't necessarily outplaying everyone when he is either. Not looking likely for Collie.

61) Cam Johnson, OLB, #50
Arrow Pointing: Up, I guess

He's getting a lot of love, but I'm not sure why. Apparently he's much improved...makes me wonder how bad he was last year, because I don't remember it. He's been stonewalled repeatedly, and has only gotten pressure on backups on occasion. Still don't see him on the roster, but I could be surprised.

62) Raymond Ventrone, S, #41
Last Week: 77

Last week I said it was hard to rank backup Special Teams player - that must've been because of injury. He's been Andy Lee's starting personal protector in the first and third preseason games. He's also a Seeley guy...bodes well for him.

64) Lavelle Hawkins, WR, #4
Last Week: 75

Gave him a bump for some explosive plays, but I want to remove him completely for the bonehead penalties. Luckilly, I'll be able to do that next week.

65) Chuck Jacobs, WR, #1
Last Week: 61

Still has potential for the practice squad, but there's next to no chance he'll make the active roster, even with a great showing tonight.

66) Joe Looney, OL, #78
Last Week: 59

He's going to make the roster, but that's certainly not my idea. Everyone's mock drafts better have some mid-round linemen this year, because we need new interior backups (and backup tackles, too, for that matter). And I don't care what anyone says, that was a lousy, dirty block on Williams.

67) Nate Stupar, ILB, #45
Last Week: 64

Didn't play because of injury, which didn't help his already minimal chances. Might be a practice squad guy.

68) Mike Purcell, DT, #64
Last Week: 69

Still looking very sharp, and still a favorite of mine...but only for the practice squad...this year.

69) Jason Schepler, FB, #45
Last Week: 73

Not much room for a 3rd string FB. Still - he's looked good in his limited work.

70) Seneca Wallace, QB, #18

Hard to rank him due to the limited time we've seen him, and it's hard to see him making the team now with McCoy being declared the #2 guy. Still, not hard enough to know he goes ahead of the next group of misfits.

Edit: Just noticed Wallace retired. I stand by my ranking.

71) Kenny Wiggins, LT, #69
Last Week: 78

72) Wayne Tribue, RG, #62
Last Week: 80

73) Carter Bykowski, LT, #71
Last Week: 81

Last Week: 83

I'm aware 74 comes after 83. I just refuse to bump Omameh up 9 spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: