Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 1: Giants vs. Steelers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reckless123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
Biggsam49 wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Prior to all the injuries, Goff was near elite vs the run. Solid tackler, could lay a big hit, great at getting through traffic and shedding blocks. And very smart, I believe he handled the adjustments.

We could really use that type of player. Would be the perfect complement to Jacquain.

definitely agree that he was a smart player. solid tackler and big hitter, fine. and don't get me wrong, i had alot of hope for him; i love players who come from "brainy" schools and aren't just straight-up jocks.

but it's easy to say (now that he's not on the team, and even out of football) that he was something that he wasn't. he was a two down linebacker; not that that necessarily takes anything away from his game, but how many linebackers make the pro bowl (that was the point i took contention with) not being a complete package.

similarly, it brings into focus just how low our expectations of the position is as fans. "what could've been..." really? that's how hard up we are for legit linebacker play that we have to hope for a two-down "nice player" linebacker over what's been put on the field the last couple years?

sad.

I said if he was more athletic he would be a pro bowler. If he was more athletic he would be an every down linebacker. Hes a reason why our run defense has slipped these past years.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
dkebones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
dkebones wrote:
Biggsam49 wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Prior to all the injuries, Goff was near elite vs the run. Solid tackler, could lay a big hit, great at getting through traffic and shedding blocks. And very smart, I believe he handled the adjustments.

We could really use that type of player. Would be the perfect complement to Jacquain.

definitely agree that he was a smart player. solid tackler and big hitter, fine. and don't get me wrong, i had alot of hope for him; i love players who come from "brainy" schools and aren't just straight-up jocks.

but it's easy to say (now that he's not on the team, and even out of football) that he was something that he wasn't. he was a two down linebacker; not that that necessarily takes anything away from his game, but how many linebackers make the pro bowl (that was the point i took contention with) not being a complete package.

similarly, it brings into focus just how low our expectations of the position is as fans. "what could've been..." really? that's how hard up we are for legit linebacker play that we have to hope for a two-down "nice player" linebacker over what's been put on the field the last couple years?

sad.

I said if he was more athletic he would be a pro bowler. If he was more athletic he would be an every down linebacker. Hes a reason why our run defense has slipped these past years.

and if i was 4 inches taller and could sling a 60 yard spiral i'd be a pro bowler...

point being, even if I concede that he was as good as you proclaim, there's only so long that you can blame an entire unit's shortcomings on a guy who hasn't even been on the team for two full seasons. that doesn't mean its Goff's fault, that lays squarely on the FO. Goff wasn't drafted in the 5th round to be a "slam dunk" type of player- again, not his fault. but i will circle back to the question of "why?" the front office fails to fix the position...
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oOoOo a Goff convo!

Just wanted to mention that athleticism was never his problem. He was one of the most athletic LB's in his class at the combine. He placed top 3 in almost all of the speed and quickness drills for LB's including the 40. His issue was awareness and recognition in the passing game, which I think he could have easily improved upon since he's really intelligent and had good instincts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
dkebones wrote:
Biggsam49 wrote:
dkebones wrote:

sad.

and if i was 4 inches taller and could sling a 60 yard spiral [b]i'd be a pro bowler...[/b]

point being, even if I concede that he was as good as you proclaim, there's only so long that you can blame an entire unit's shortcomings on a guy who hasn't even been on the team for two full seasons. that doesn't mean its Goff's fault, that lays squarely on the FO. Goff wasn't drafted in the 5th round to be a "slam dunk" type of player- again, not his fault. but i will circle back to the question of "why?" the front office fails to fix the position...

if you say so.

I said he's A reason not the reason why our run defense has been dreadful. I never calll. He was smart very good against the run, had good instincts but lacked the athleticism to be an every down LBer

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: