Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Week 1: Giants vs. Steelers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone notice any pressure from RG? Mosley played more snaps than any other OL. If his name wasn't called, he had a great night.

I didn't get to see the game because I was working, but my dad told me he really liked Michael Cox in the 4th quarter. Will he make the team as our 3rd RB?

Let me give you my personal opinion, on what I think has happened.
It all started with the release of the coke machine in Brandon Jacobs.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cox. Think he can be a solid contributor. Scott is a dud. No confidence.

Connor is best LB on team.

Moore will be a beast, when he gets a bit bigger/stronger

Cullen Jenkins will be the main difference maker of any new giant

Marvin Austin is unfortunately done
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ojomo certainly convinced me he deserves his spot on the 53 man roster. Curry actually played well, even though it was against 2nd and third stringers.

I thought Mosley filled in adequately for Right Guard pass blocking wise but him and the entire O-line was crap for Run-blocking. They really, really have to work on Run-blocking for the remaining of TC.

Cox played well considering the crappy O-line blocking. Speaking of which the 2nd string and the third string did their best to get Carr, Painter and Nassib killed. We cannot afford to lose any starters on the offensive line, except for Diehl.

I thought Marvin Austin showed some good and bad. He got blown up twice but he also showed some nice power and speed on some of Ojomo's sacks.

Jernigan was trying to actually stick on this roster for once. Did a decent job on one or two return kicks and was pretty ok against the 2nd/third secondary.

Hankins and Moore showed us a lot of talent. Loved how Damontre never stopped until the whistle blew, by far the most impressive rookie.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see Eli, Randle, Cruz do something. Was hoping to see Myers get something from Eli, but he ran a nice route pass from Carr.

Michael Cox looked nice. Might get carries this season. Scott's time might be up.

Oline wasn't pretty. Backup line during Nassib's time was terrible..

DE battle between Tracy, Ojomo, Trattou, and Broha is a tough one. Was hoping for more from Tracy. Wonder if any stick.

Loved Damonster. Jenkins too.

Marvin Austin is worthless. The boy got huge, lost his burst, and gained no strength. I had such high hopes when we picked him.

This could be the worst LB group in the NFL of the past 10 years. I thought Herz, Paysinger, Q, and Connor all looked bad. Didn't watch Curry a ton, but he makde a couple of plays vs the backups. Thought he looked huge. Surprised after all the news of him losing weight.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope Ross starts across from Prince. Maybe Cweb can play in the slot. Probably not though.

Where was Will Hill and Cooper?

Last edited by Biggsam49 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only gonna watch H1 because it's really boring (almost) football.

I only looked at the front seven and Mosley.

I thought Mosley looked more than decent on pass protection. He couldn't get much push on running plays though.
He showed some quickness in getting to the second level. Not a bad game I think.

The DL looked ok most of the time. Joseph is still commanding double teams most of the time.
Jenkins looked huge didn't he ? He shouldn't play DE much when Tuck and Pierre-Paul are back.
Tracy was able to get some pressure. The rookies looked fine.
Austin looks like a gamble that won't pay off. Kiwi looked like Osi defending the run.

LB play wasn't pretty though. No gap control, poor speed.
I thought Herzlich actually showed good instincts, finding the ball in trafic a few times. He wasn't able to make the play though ...
Williams and Paysinger didn't look very good.
Connor seemed to be the best of the bunch.

Unlike a poster in the thread I thought Andre Brown looked fine - except for that awful fumble obviously.
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moore looks like he has the ability to make an impact this year. Just gotta keep working hard and stay out of TCs doghouse. Rookies truly have to earn their playing time, and tonight was a solid start for Moore. He should help fill the void of 'situational pass rusher' now that Osi is in ATL.
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First preseason observations: I would like to see Connor, Curry and Rivers get first team reps at LB. The 3 were the best LBs on the field. I can't see both Herz and Paysinger making the final 53 (unless they can miraculously shine in the remaining preseason games). One (or both) will be lucky to make it. as I see the Giants carrying more DBs to substitute for their ST contriubtion. Q can come in in nickel and with Cooper or Mundy coming in as the 3rd LB. Q is not strong enough to shed blocks even though he usually is in position. A final roster of Curry, Rivers, Connor, Q and Sabby (or Pay) may be it for LBs this year.

D' Scott is likely done. Cox showed enough and will likely handle kickoffs as well.

Damonster is the truth. He has good football instincts, high motor and I hope sees some time early in the rotation. Big Hank played well as well. I think Austin loses his roster spot to Mike Patterson (Rogers will likely take Kuhn's roster spot). Jenkins looked good too. Tracy and Ojo had a couple of pressures. Trattou had a nice game as well. He can play both the run (very disciplined setting the edge) and can pass rush. He is a better version of Tollefson.

Rubes will keep Nicks' leverage down with negotations begin. This kid is the healthy version of Nicks. We really need a good fourth WR behind Rubes. I'm rooting for Murph. I was disappointed we didn't see much out of Myers -- i was hoping to see Eli look for him in the endzone.

The run game was awful and I am not sure that it will ever get much better. Beatty is a finesse Tackle. Booth is inconsistent in the run game. Baas (I am biased I never really liked the signing) isn't physical enough. Snee is on the down hill of his career and Diehl is inconsistent (nice way of saying he sucks). So I hope that the Giants work on the RB, WR and TE screens from multiple formations and check downs to compensate for no running game with those 5 starting. Mosely looked ok at RG although he missed a block on the first play near the goal line and his man tackled Wilson backside. The playcalling and execution was terrible near the endzone. Would be nice to see Boothe at C, Mosely LG, Snee RG, Pugh and Beatty at tackles. Robinson looked good as a blocker -- maybe he pushes Bear for PT. 75 is terrible. Selfish Capers looked bad too (I miss Guy Whimper).

Fredericks and McBride looked good in coverage. Nice not to have to see a DB chasing a WR. Will Hill had a quiet game.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GEE MEN wrote:
First preseason observations: I would like to see Connor, Curry and Rivers get first team reps at LB. The 3 were the best LBs on the field. I can't see both Herz and Paysinger making the final 53 (unless they can miraculously shine in the remaining preseason games). One (or both) will be lucky to make it. as I see the Giants carrying more DBs to substitute for their ST contriubtion. Q can come in in nickel and with Cooper or Mundy coming in as the 3rd LB. Q is not strong enough to shed blocks even though he usually is in position. A final roster of Curry, Rivers, Connor, Q and Sabby (or Pay) may be it for LBs this year.

D' Scott is likely done. Cox showed enough and will likely handle kickoffs as well.

Damonster is the truth. He has good football instincts, high motor and I hope sees some time early in the rotation. Big Hank played well as well. I think Austin loses his roster spot to Mike Patterson (Rogers will likely take Kuhn's roster spot). Jenkins looked good too. Tracy and Ojo had a couple of pressures. Trattou had a nice game as well. He can play both the run (very disciplined setting the edge) and can pass rush. He is a better version of Tollefson.

Rubes will keep Nicks' leverage down with negotations begin. This kid is the healthy version of Nicks. We really need a good fourth WR behind Rubes. I'm rooting for Murph. I was disappointed we didn't see much out of Myers -- i was hoping to see Eli look for him in the endzone.

The run game was awful and I am not sure that it will ever get much better. Beatty is a finesse Tackle. Booth is inconsistent in the run game. Baas (I am biased I never really liked the signing) isn't physical enough. Snee is on the down hill of his career and Diehl is inconsistent (nice way of saying he sucks). So I hope that the Giants work on the RB, WR and TE screens from multiple formations and check downs to compensate for no running game with those 5 starting. Mosely looked ok at RG although he missed a block on the first play near the goal line and his man tackled Wilson backside. The playcalling and execution was terrible near the endzone. Would be nice to see Boothe at C, Mosely LG, Snee RG, Pugh and Beatty at tackles. Robinson looked good as a blocker -- maybe he pushes Bear for PT. 75 is terrible. Selfish Capers looked bad too (I miss Guy Whimper).

Fredericks and McBride looked good in coverage. Nice not to have to see a DB chasing a WR. Will Hill had a quiet game.

I agree with most of your thoughts as well. The Offensive line when it comes to run-blocking absolutely blew chunks. I don't even know why Baas was given that salary, hes been a disappointment from day one and nothing but average.

This really might be the worst Linebacking core we have seen in a wile, only the backups looked good playing against backups. First time in a wile I would support whole sale change at that position because we need someone who can fill in their gap and play the run. Connor, Curry, Rivers and Trattou were the only linebackers who showed us anything. Reese should be ashamed that he trotting out this unit as the answer to our Run-defense woes.

I don't know how we can keep Ryan Mundy over Tyler Sash, I thought he looked great. Austin is definitely on the outside looking in along with Scott.

Corey Webster looked ok, much better than last year at least which isn't saying much. Didn't hear Prince's name called so that might good or bad cause Ben just kept targeting Webster.

Overall disappointment with this showing seeing as how the Giants front office wanted to address physicality on both sides of the line and in our first showing the team failed miserably. Really need to improve fast or Washington and Philly is just gonna run all over us.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched most of the game. In previous years I couldn't get enough of Giants football, even if it was only preseason and the 4rth stringers were in. Now I had trouble staying focused beyond the 2nd quarter. I guess that's what happens as you get older. Laughing

Nice to see Cruz pick up where he left off. Looking forward to seeing to the Eli to Cruz connection for years to come.

I remembered David Wilson being smaller last year. Was quite surprised as how built he looked. Despite the talk about a split backfield, judging by last night, it looks like Wilson is going to get the bulk of the carries.

The Giants compare Damontre Moore to Kiwanuka. I can certainly see the comparison. Long, tall, and athletic. Much like with Mario Manningham, the combine numbers are a fluke.

Ojomo reportedly has had a disappointing camp, but if he continues to play well in preseason games, we have to keep him around.

I'm glad that Hosley is getting an opportunity to win the PR job. I think it's a good fit for him.

I seriously hope that Connor, Curry and Williams work their way into the starting lineups. Herzlich, Paysinger and Rivers starting would be a disaster.

Interesting to see Barden relegated to playing in the fourth quarter, playing behind guys that I didn't know were on the roster. End of the line for him.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
Acgott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap Counts:

OFFENSE:

Jim Cordle, C, 50 (74%)
Stephen Goodin, G, 44 (65%)
Selvish Capers, G, 37 (54%)
Brandon Mosley, T, 35 (51%)
Chris DeGeare, G/T, 30 (44%)
Bryant Browning, G, 29 (43%)
Kevin Hardy, WR, 29 (43%)
Louis Murphy, WR, 27 (40%)
Ramses Barden, WR, 27 (40%)
Larry Donnell, TE, 25 (37%)
Adrien Robinson, TE, 25 (37%)
Matt McCants, T/C, 24 (35%)
Da'Rel Scott, RB, 22 (32%)
Curtis Painter, QB, 22 (32%)
Jerrel Jernigan, WR, 21 (31%)
Michael Cox, RB, 19 (28%)
Will Beatty, T, 19 (28%)
David Carr, QB, 19 (28%)
Michael Jasper, G, 18 (26%)
Ryan Nassib, QB, 18 (26%)
Julian Talley, WR, 17 (25%)
Kris Adams, WR, 17 (25%)
Jamie Childers, TE, 16 (24%)
Eric Herman, G, 15 (22%)
David Wilson, RB, 15 (22%)
Brandon Myers, TE, 13 (19%)
David Diehl, T, 13 (19%)
Kevin Boothe, G/C, 13 (19%)
David Baas, C, 13 (19%)
Rueben Randle, 13, (19%)
Andre Brown, RB, 12 (18%)
Ryan D'Imperio, FB, 11 (16%)
Chase Clement, TE, 10 (15%)
Victor Cruz, WR, 9 (13%)
Bear Pascoe, TE, 9 (13%)
Eli Manning, QB, 9 (13%)
Keith Carlos, WR, 3 (4%)

DEFENSE:

Marvin Austin, DT, 33 (50%)
Damontre Moore, DE, 29 (44%)
Matt Broha, DE, 28 (42%)
Ryan Mundy, S, 28 (42%)
Adrian Tracy, DE, 28 (42%)
Jacquian Williams, LB, 28 (42%)
Johnathan Hankins, DT, 27 (41%)
Mike Patterson, DT, 27 (41%)
Tyler Sash, S, 26 (39%)
Trumaine McBride, DB, 25 (38%)
Jake Muasau, LB, 21 (32%)
Dan Connor, LB, 21 (32%)
David Caldwell, S, 21 (32%)
Aaron Ross, DB, 21 (32%)
Will Hill, S, 19 (29%)
Prince Amukamara, DB, 19 (29%)
Laron Scott, DB, 19 (29%)
Spencer Paysinger, LB, 19 (29%)
Antrel Rolle, S, 19 (29%)
Corey Webster, DB, 19 (29%)
Stevie Brown, S, 19 (29%)
Kyle Bosworth, LB, 18 (27%)
Mark Herzlich, LB, 17 (26%)
Adewale Ojomo, DE, 16 (24%)
Charles James, DB, 16 (24%)
Justin Trattou, DE, 16 (24%)
Keith Rivers, LB, 16 (24%)
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, 15 (23%)
Terrence Frederick, DB, 14 (21%)
Junior Mertile, DB, 14 (21%)
Linval Joseph, DT, 13 (20%)
Aaron Curry, LB, 12 (18%)
Frank Okam, DT, 12 (18%)
Etienne Sabino, LB, 10 (15%)
Cullen Jenkins, DT, 10 (15%)
Shaun Rogers, DT, 9 (14%)

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2013/08/giants_vs_steelers_find_out_how_many_snaps_each_player_took.html
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth PFF graded Mosley a +1.7, that's +0.9 on pass block, +0.6 on run block and +0.2 for penalties (not sure why).

He comes out as the best offensive player.
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reference PFF with a grain of salt. Remember, this is the impartial evaluation organization that views Bengals Andrew Whitworth as the leagues best tackles, and had Kerry Rhodes & Quintin Mikell as top 10 safeties. Both still aren't signed, so maybe they're not totally impartial.

Few takeaways. Don't envision Marvin Austin making the 53. Rather than cutting him, I bet he spends the year on Injured Reserve & earns the last $ 1.2 Million on his rookie deal. The DT group looked improve, Hankins & Jenkins should play prominent roles & I anticipate a big year from Linval Joseph in pursuit of his next contract.

The linebacking corps looked weak, and monitoring other teams cuts would be advantageous. Stopping the run requires this unit to play better.

Damonte Moore could make a year 1 impact. Major steal in Round 3 that fell due to dismal pre-draft process.

Offensive line must improve, and hopefully reintegrating Pugh after his concussion pays dividends.

The RB group on the whole looked weak, Da'Rel Scott simply doesn't deserve a roster spot.
shotgundraw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
I reference PFF with a grain of salt. Remember, this is the impartial evaluation organization that views Bengals Andrew Whitworth as the leagues best tackles, and had Kerry Rhodes & Quintin Mikell as top 10 safeties. Both still aren't signed, so maybe they're not totally impartial.

Why would they overgrade some guy they'll probably never meet ?
Pretty serious accusation there.

Conquest8089 wrote:
Offensive line must improve, and hopefully reintegrating Pugh after his concussion pays dividends

It sure will be interesting to see him out there. Will he play with the starters ?
I think he will but we won't know if it's because:
- they think of him as a starter
- the coaches wants to see how he handles himself surrounded by 1s.

We could even see Mosley + Pugh on the right side for a few snaps.
IR0NM1KE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be brutally honest about this, no matter who wins the job(s) our LB corps are going to be brutal. Until we make a serious move and address this problem we can expect horrendous play for the forseeable future.
Gmen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR0NM1KE wrote:
Lets be brutally honest about this, no matter who wins the job(s) our LB corps are going to be brutal. Until we make a serious move and address this problem we can expect horrendous play for the forseeable future.

I'm not giving up hope yet. I think we just have the wrong ones currently starting. Once the new comers pick up the playbook, I expect them to be in the starting lineup. Connor started and played well for the Cowboys last season. Curry certainly looks the part at 260.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: