Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Johnny Jolly
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Johnny Jolly Reply with quote

Prison and not playing for years doesnt seem like it has hurt him to much, The guy was faster and quicker than almost everyone else out there. Got into the backfield on numerous occasions, stopped a few runs early and made a VERY impressive spin move to get to the QB only to end up missing him shortly after the snap. I've been rooting for him and expecting little, but if he can stay healthy he has a chance to do something pretty special this year.

Last edited by gbpacker40 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He did look good, he has a big chip on his shoulder and a ton to prove.
I think he makes the team.
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
SDN40

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hunch early on that he had a chance to pull it off. Those big guy movement skills are God given. It certainly doesn't hurt that he is one of maybe only 2 or 3 guys that have the ideal size for the 5. He does seem to be carrying a little more around the middle than I remember

Global Moderator
Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man looked very good out there. His attitude, presence, and skillset are unique on this team. I also think he makes the roster.
Dunderhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RashaanSalaami wrote:
The man looked very good out there. His attitude, presence, and skillset are unique on this team. I also think he makes the roster.

Who was the nastiest player on that defense last year? If I was forced to give an answer it would be Mathews - and I don't consider him nasty at all. All those guys on our D-line are good technicians. Many try to play with leverage and power. That's commendable and clean football.

But my gosh it was nice to see Jolly grab that guy by the throat and drive him back into the QB. It was nice to see his punches to the chest and his bull rush. It's a nice counter to the physical SF O-line.
McThreadski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunderhead wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

Who was the nastiest player on that defense last year? If I was forced to give an answer it would be Mathews - and I don't consider him nasty at all. All those guys on our D-line are good technicians. Many try to play with leverage and power. That's commendable and clean football.

But my gosh it was nice to see Jolly grab that guy by the throat and drive him back into the QB. It was nice to see his punches to the chest and his bull rush. It's a nice counter to the physical SF O-line.

If you think about what motivates people, the first thing that I think about is proving someone that they are wrong. It's an instinct that we are encouraged to suppress, but when men are left with nothing more than their thoughts, they get angry. They develop a chip on their shoulder.

I can't imagine a more hungry player in the NFL right now than Jolly. I'll take that nastiness and I respect the heck out of him for coming with the lumber this year. A lot of guys would have been happy to tell jail stories about their NFL glory. Jolly didn't do that. He's clearly been working toward s this for quite awhile.

I want him on this team and I want other people to want him here too.
gbpacker40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:
Dunderhead wrote:
RashaanSalaami wrote:

If you think about what motivates people, the first thing that I think about is proving someone that they are wrong. It's an instinct that we are encouraged to suppress, but when men are left with nothing more than their thoughts, they get angry. They develop a chip on their shoulder.

I can't imagine a more hungry player in the NFL right now than Jolly. I'll take that nastiness and I respect the heck out of him for coming with the lumber this year. A lot of guys would have been happy to tell jail stories about their NFL glory. Jolly didn't do that. He's clearly been working toward s this for quite awhile.

I want him on this team and I want other people to want him here too.

There was one play on the weak side that was stopped cold by the line and Jolly was right in there doing a 180 front flip trying to hit the guy. I don't think there is a doubt that he is motivated beyond belief. Jolly was full motor and he was impressive. Definitely stood out, much like Wilson did for me tonight.
kgthekid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like 2009 all over again for him.

Fuzzy Slippers tells no lies.
packerbacker87

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hes in.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love Jolly to make it.

Only problem is our DL is a crazy numbers game right now.

The other guy who got praise this week was Wilson who is probably competing with Jolly for that run stuffer role.

There is also the quick footed Josh Boyd in the mix. Not often Ted cuts loose 5th round picks in their rookie season - especially on the DL where it can take a couple of years to really get it.

Working against Jolly is his age, at 30 he's up against some young guys.

I wonder if we keep 7 DL and use Neal as a DL/OLB tweener.

Which 6/7 make it from this lot: Raji, Pickett, Jones, Daniels, Neal, Wilson, Jolly, Boyd, Miller (PUP - Worthy)
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British wrote:
Would love Jolly to make it.

Only problem is our DL is a crazy numbers game right now.

The other guy who got praise this week was Wilson who is probably competing with Jolly for that run stuffer role.

There is also the quick footed Josh Boyd in the mix. Not often Ted cuts loose 5th round picks in their rookie season - especially on the DL where it can take a couple of years to really get it.

Working against Jolly is his age, at 30 he's up against some young guys.

I wonder if we keep 7 DL and use Neal as a DL/OLB tweener.

Which 6/7 make it from this lot: Raji, Pickett, Jones, Daniels, Neal, Wilson, Jolly, Boyd, Miller (PUP - Worthy)

I think so, the OLB back ups were awful and as bad as our back up QB situation, maybe even worse now as Young did something.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolly looked good on multiple occasions. Defensive line is definitely the strongest position group for the Packers. CJ Wilson and Mike Daniels are arguably more impressive to me than Jolly was too. I am excite.

And not to hijack the thread - do people actually expect Neal to do anything different than what Moses/Palmer/Mulumba did at outside linebacker? Those three set the edge pretty well vs the run - that wasn't an issue. They didn't get pressure on the QB, yes, but can we expect Neal who has been an inside player for the Packers to all of sudden be an edge rusher? That doesn't make sense to me, you can't bank on Neal doing that. His sacks came from playing 5 or 3 tech last year and it would be a huge mistake to move him from where he played well last year.

Sig brought to you by Justo
Madtown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:
Jolly looked good on multiple occasions. Defensive line is definitely the strongest position group for the Packers. CJ Wilson and Mike Daniels are arguably more impressive to me than Jolly was too. I am excite.

And not to hijack the thread - do people actually expect Neal to do anything different than what Moses/Palmer/Mulumba did at outside linebacker? Those three set the edge pretty well vs the run - that wasn't an issue. They didn't get pressure on the QB, yes, but can we expect Neal who has been an inside player for the Packers to all of sudden be an edge rusher? That doesn't make sense to me, you can't bank on Neal doing that. His sacks came from playing 5 or 3 tech last year and it would be a huge mistake to move him from where he played well last year.

I'm wondering if Neal can't produce off the edge, will he make the roster? Stemming off of British and Kampman, Neal sticking at OLB solves the numbers game for an actually strong DL. If he's NO WORSE than the other OLBs he'll stick. If he can't, I can see him getting the ax. Keeping him at DL only giving his injury history and current injury status is awfully risky giving who you'd have to cut to keep him.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugLymayNe wrote:

Actually I see Neal doing the exact opposite, rushing well but failing against the run like he always has and failing to set any kind of edge.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neal pisses me off. So does the fact that we're moving him to OLB. I couldn't care less if he got cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: