Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Three Pressing Pre-Season Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody was asking about potential options at Tight End as teams get down to a final 53. Here's a short list of rumours going around the NFL.

1. Brent Celek - With James Casey and Zach Ertz in town, Celek has seen his snaps plummet. I thought Celek would be a sure-fire cut but with all the injuries the Eagles have had at WR I wonder if they might decide it's worth keeping somebody who's been a proven member of the offense.

2. Tony Moeaki - They drafted Travis Kelce and Fasano is in town. Moeaki has had trouble with injuries but so far I'm not seeing enough out of Kelce to make me think the Chiefs would part ways with their starting TE.

3. The Broncos - They currently have Joel Dreesen, Julius Thomas and Jacob Tamme. I doubt all three makes the roster but I'm not sure who it will be. You could make the argument for all three. There's a chance they keep all three and if so look for Virgil Green. He's a WR in a TEs body whose blocking has improved but he's likely to be cut if Thomas stays healthy.

4. The Patriots - Most likely Jake Ballard will be cut as he's impressed no one since getting back on the field. I'm not sure if you'd want him but he was successful with the Giants. I just don't know if he's healthy. There's always Michael Hoomaniasueklwini or Daniel Fells although it looks like with the emergence of Zach Sudfeld that Ballard is the odd man.

5. The Dolphins - With Keller in town, my guess is they'll keep draft pick Dion Sims and cut either Charles Clay or Michael Egnew. It'll probably be Egnew who's shown nothing since being drafted relatively high. It's always been focus and mental mistakes with him - the athleticism has never been a question.

6. Alex Smith (Bengals) - With Gresham and Eifert in town, I think the Bengals will keep Orson Charles (who can also play FB) and that's it.

There's obviously going to be a couple out of left field. My concern is that with teams like the Raiders and Steelers desperate for tight end help they'll be more attractive options than being a backup in Seattle. I really like Willson but he's still pretty raw as a route runner and blocker.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
BattleofSeattle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Secondary - 10
Cornerback - 6
Sherman, Browner, Winfield, and Thurmond are locks, in my opinion.

Lane and Maxwell are both valuable special teams players and have performed very well when filling in at corner. They're also very young and cost-controlled, with a 2013 cap hit of $480,000 and $550,000, respectively.

Safeties - 4
Given that depth at corner, it's difficult for me to see us keeping more than 4 safeties this year.

Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor starting, obviously.

Jeron Johnson is a solid contributor on special teams and I think is a great backup for Kam at SS with only a $550,000 cap hit in 2013. I would give the backup FS spot to DeShawn Shead. He's young, fast, and cheap at $480,000 for the year.

If they do go with 5 safeties, I think it's Winston Guy. Otherwise, I could see him going to the practice squad if he's still eligible. Maragos looks like a cap casualty to me. With no dead money, Seattle could release Maragos and save $1.323 million this season.

2) Runningbacks - 5
Lynch, Turbin, Michael, and Robinson are locks. That fifth spot will be a battle between Derick Coleman and Spencer Ware.

I'd love to keep both, but as stacked as this team is it's just not feasible. Whichever one doesn't make it will likely be put on the practice squad (assuming Coleman is eligible). This will be one of the tougher choices the team will have to make.

3) Front Seven - 15
Defensive Line - 10
I think Mebane, Bryant, Hill, McDonald, Bennett, Clemons, Avril, Irvin, and Schofield are locks. I think one of Howard or Williams make the roster too. The other will likely go on the practice squad once Irvin returns.

Mayowa and Powell looks like good practice squad candidates, with Mayowa having an outside shot at making the roster during Irvin's suspension as well.

Linebackers - 4
Wagner and Wright are sure locks. Two of the following three will make it if they keep 11 defensive linemen: Smith, Bradford, and Lotoulelei. If we keep 10, I think all three make it.

Keep in mind that Lotoulelei was given the largest signing bonus of any UDFA in the NFL this offseason, so Pete and John obviously see something there.

Other Thoughts
*I think one of Lotoulelei, Williams, or Mayowa earn that 15th spot along the front seven.
*Given Irvin's suspension, that'll open up a roster spot for a quarter of the season to another player. Clemons could start the year on the PUP too or miss the first few games, potentially leaving two vacant spots open.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: