Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Three Pressing Pre-Season Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Three Pressing Pre-Season Questions Reply with quote

1) Seattle for the last couple years has been a team that carries 10 DB's. In the past, it's always been 5 CB's and 5 S's. This year though, I am seeing a ton of talent at CB. I have a hard time imagining us not carrying 6 CB's. So do we carry 11 DB's this year or does this spell the end for Guy?

Personally, I think Sherm, Browner, Winfield, Thurmond, and Maxwell are all but guaranteed. Of the 4 of them, Winfield is the only one I could see potentially not making the roster. I do think Winfield and Maxwell are both potentially options at FS in a pinch.

I see that last spot boiling down to most likely Lane but with competition from Parker, Blackmon and Shead (who has nice versatility as a FS too). I don't think Simon has a chance in hell of making the team right now.

I see Maragos and Johnson all but locked in as the primary safety backups.

2) It seems like Seattle is heavily leaning towards carrying 5 RB's this year. If you had been told that a month ago, we all would have assumed Ware would have that 5th spot. After last night however, Coleman looks to really be pushing him for that 5th spot. I think we won't find out who wins that battle until pre-season wraps up.

The one question I have about Coleman is if he actually blocks at FB. I don't remember him actually in at FB on any running plays, can anyone correct me there?

3) LEO and SLB depth were well known, but I did not think the talent would show up as much as it did last night. At most, I see 26 spots for defense on this team; 10 going to DB's, 4 going to Wright, Wagner, Smith, and probably Bradford/Farwell/Lotulelei, and likely 7 guys between DT and LDE.

That leaves 5 spots (maybe 6 if we only carry 6 at DT/LDE) for:

With Clemons, Avril, Irvin, and Mike Morgan all but locks imo, we have two spots at very most to share between Schofield, Benson Mayowa, and Ty Powell. Who do we keep?

Defense as a whole is overcrowded with talent like I've never seen before.

3 spots (4 if you think we only carry 24 on O instead of 25) are going to be fought over by:
-Jaye Howard
-Clinton McDonald
-Benson Mayowa
-John Lotulelei
-Allen Bradford
-Ty Powell
-O'Brian Schofield
-Winston Guy
-Will Blackmon
-Jeremy Lane
-Ron Parker
-Deshawn Shead

That's ridiculous.

Any other questions you guys think will take all pre-season to answer? I think Williams is definitely pushing for a roster spot at WR and Bates is coming in pretty hard also.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR is definitely a question mark, do we carry 5 or 6? Especially considering all the talent and depth at the other positions.

At this point Rice,Tate, and Baldwin are locks.

Kearse is probable, but not yet a lock.

Leaves Williams, Harper and Bates as realistic options after that. I feel like any of the three cut will get looks from other teams, only one I question that may not get a look is Bates and he still probably will. There's no way that at least one other team won't try and kick the tires with a 4th round rookie WR and Stephen Williams' size should definitely find him another opportunity.

Who's getting released/traded/IR'd when Harvin's back? Tough decisions.
KayJayz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be 31 teams watching us very closely on cut day. Too bad they can't all go to the practice squad.

With this much talent, it will definitely take all 4 games to find out who rises to the top.

~props to mike23md~
hawkman98272

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I'm not a coach.

IDOG_det

#JDI
Finchy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Tight End is by far the biggest issue on this team. Nobody who played yesterday showed they were good enough yet to be decent number two at this level. I think the loss Anthony McCoy may be in its own way our biggest injury this year, as although he was not a great player, he was solid enough as a weapon and had a tendency for a big play.

I'm probably being over-dramatic, but it's something the team will need to address, as I'm not totally sold on Luke Willson being the solution that everyone pegs him as.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finchy wrote:
For me, Tight End is by far the biggest issue on this team. Nobody who played yesterday showed they were good enough yet to be decent number two at this level. I think the loss Anthony McCoy may be in its own way our biggest injury this year, as although he was not a great player, he was solid enough as a weapon and had a tendency for a big play.

I'm probably being over-dramatic, but it's something the team will need to address, as I'm not totally sold on Luke Willson being the solution that everyone pegs him as.
i agree about McCoy. He's going to really hurt to have out this year. Willson looked alright last night at least

ram29jackson wrote:
Bigjoe0075

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Pete gets proactive about getting something in return for players he has to cut. He did it last year making trades almost at the last minute to get additional draft picks.

I could see JS and PC packaging and trading a few players and getting a solid TE to come in and back up miller and letting willson develop. Anyone know of some possible TEs that might be on the bubble? Carlson comes to mind.

I think that kid from Idaho should be able to get a spot on the roster. even if its practice squad. he was an animal last night causing havoc all over the place. I love the fire he plays with.

Our DBs are probably the best and the deepest in the entire NFL. Its crazy how strong we are in the secondary. I could see us keeping 11 total DBs.
Sherm, Browner, winfeild, Thurmond, Lane, Maxwell, Thomas, Johnson, Kam, Mangos, and Blackmon (mainly as a KR)

Simon is just not going to make it.
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way I see Simon making this team is if they put him on IR and basically "red shirt" him.
chpjns15

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officer Ricky wrote:
Only way I see Simon making this team is if they put him on IR and basically "red shirt" him.

Yeah. Hes kinda SOL

"If you can't win, cheat. If you can't cheat, don't play."

"Getting a paper cut, that is tragedy. Someone falling down a sewer and dying, that is comedy."
imani

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chpjns15 wrote:
Officer Ricky wrote:

Yeah. Hes kinda SOL

Gotta compete

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Meeker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question Maragos having the 4th S spot locked up, mainly due to his contract. He barely sees the field outside of special teams (32 snaps or 3.1% of defensive snaps last season) and $1,323,000 is a lot to pay for someone like that who isn't significantly better than someone we could get for half that amount of money.

I see the same locks at CB and the other 3 S as locks as well, leaving 2 spots as I don't see the need to carry more than 10.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I agree, the team will have to keep 6 CBs. I can definitely see a situation where Tharold Simon goes on IR because I doubt the team just wants to see him walk. Jeremy Lane is obviously the best of the bunch as a pure corner, but I don't know if that's going to be enough to crack this 53. He's clearly the 6th best pure corner on the team (even if he's better than most teams #4) but Blackmon's return skills may give him the edge.

I don't see Maragos or Jeron Johnson as locked in. In fact, I think Jeron Johnson is going to be one of the "surprise" cuts when all is said and done. It's funny, because of all the backup safeties I actually think Winston Guy is the only one who is essentially guaranteed a spot. Jeron and Maragos do much of the same things and, as Meeker said, Maragos is making a good chunk of change to do that job. Guy, on the other hand, is cheap and has a very specific niche on this team that I don't think they get with anyone else. 4 safeties makes sense, but I think Maragos and Jeron are fighting for that last spot.

2. I think people are getting a little too hyped on Coleman this early. First of all, it's hard to believe he's getting this type of hype while people wonder if he even had any big plays at FB. He was playing FB on Spencer Ware's touchdown and had a great seal block on the play. Probably his best play of the day to be honest. At the end of the day, I see him as a Thomas Clayton who certainly plays his way onto the team, but just isn't one of those guys that we can fit onto the 53. I still think Spencer Ware is guaranteed a spot on this team. There's no way the coaching staff is letting who they believed to be "the toughest runner in college football" walk for nothing. I could see Coleman making the team if they decide to cut M-Rob.

3. As of now, Ty Powell is a practice squad player IMO. Benson Mayowa is entrenched as a bubble guy on this team, but I hope he makes the final 53. I could see us stashing him on the practice squad as well, however. O'Brien Schofield is all but guaranteed a spot on this team IMO, as he has experience as a starting OLB and just needs to stay healthy. He looked good on Thursday.
Tooki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schofield is guaranteed a roster spot for the first 4 weeks, at least. If he plays well enough, he could stay on the team. He's the only player on the roster with experience as a SAM (in our scheme) as well as an outside rusher on 3rd downs.
Officer Ricky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Winston Guy is the one most likely to be cut. He got a lot of negative attention for that cheap shot on Stephen Williams which sidelined him for the day.

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70454

Not too much love from another fan forum.

Last edited by Officer Ricky on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought for years that the whole niche thing with Guy is overblown. He's a good blitzer. Cool. If we really wanted to keep around a guy just because he's a good blitzer, we would have kept Roy Lewis. A DB with a wider range of talent who's a superior STs player. Unless there's something else to his game to love, I don't get the hype. He's also really annoying on the RealRobReport Laughing

I'd be willing to bet a decent chunk of change Jeron Johnson is on the 53 man roster. He's far and away the most natural safety behind the starters and in some ways might be better in coverage than Kam.

ram29jackson wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: