You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cutdown Day Thread (53 Man Roster p. 13)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Wilson, a 4th round pick got beat out by an UDFA on the most QB needy team in the league. He wasn't viewed as a project QB coming out of the draft. He's just flat out not good and was extremely overrated by some.

He's JD Booty

Not really Booty.

And actually Wilson was seen as a bit of a project in the draft. They thought he needed at least a year to sit and learn. The Raiders simply saw a better project in McGloin. Means really nothing when you have three guys that are all projects. It happens. You only have so many roster spots to give.

Would you consider Travis Bond or Jeff Baca a bust because we had to pick up some waiver wire OL man who got cut on the worst offensive line team?
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Wilson, a 4th round pick got beat out by an UDFA on the most QB needy team in the league. He wasn't viewed as a project QB coming out of the draft. He's just flat out not good and was extremely overrated by some.

He's JD Booty

I don't know how anyone could actually separate the QB situations of the Raiders, Bills, and Jets. They are all equally bad, in my view. Wink

Thx to Lil Uno!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Baca made the roster as 6th round backup on the interior of the offensive line... We didn't pick anyone up on the waiver wire to compete with him. Travis Bond was a 7th round project offensive linen that was selected for him size. He's also been playing on the interior of the line.

Those are 6th and 7th round draft picks compared to a 4th rounder. Did Matt Barkley are Ryan Nassib get cut? No, and they are on teams with a much more settled QB situation.

You're argument doesn't make much sense, and tries to bing up invalid comparisons.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, who is they? Not one scouting report I read said or heard said anything about him being a project. Admittedly I could have missed one, but everything that I found and saw stated a lack of physical attributes (Booty) would prevent him from being a top QB in this league.

rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VR brought this up earlier, but here it is in stat form...

Quote:
Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7 3m
14 teams have 2 QB's (only Buffalo has a rookie of those teams)
16 teams have 3 QB's
2 teams have 4 QB's

Getting much close to a 50/50 split.

disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
VR brought this up earlier, but here it is in stat form...

Quote:
Mike McCartney ‏@MikeMcCartney7 3m
14 teams have 2 QB's (only Buffalo has a rookie of those teams)

2 of them are in the Vikings' division in the Bears and the Packers. Both teams are probably in the position of "Well, if Cutler or Rodgers get injured, we're screwed anyway, so we may as well just run with 2."

It should also be pointed out that both of those teams' starting QBs generally have a pretty good history of staying healthy (Cutler has stayed healthy every season, outside of 2011). Both of the other teams' (MIN and DET) starting QBs have a history of not staying healthy, so that could be one reason why they chose to keep 3.

Either way, I do like the Vikings' and Lions' backup QB options better than either of the other 2. Cassell and Shaun Hill are light-years better than either McCown or Wallace.

Thx to Lil Uno!
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know why I am going to argue this anymore. Minnesota has one of the worst QB situations in the league not named New York Jets or Oakland, so Wilson isn't going to make a lick of a difference. We'll be needing a new QB next year anyway, so it doesn't matter if we have Wilson or MBT as a third spot. In two years, our QB will be completely different. Cassel, Ponder nor MBT isn't going to be the saviour.

Last edited by thestonedkoala on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Jeff Baca made the roster as 6th round backup on the interior of the offensive line... We didn't pick anyone up on the waiver wire to compete with him.

Hmmm, though Baca got cut.

Quote:

Travis Bond was a 7th round project offensive linen that was selected for him size. He's also been playing on the interior of the line.

Great, so why couldn't he be on the roster as a backup and have Johnson be the swing tackle?

Quote:

Those are 6th and 7th round draft picks compared to a 4th rounder.

Does it really matter after the 2nd or 3rd round? Most players on the 2nd day are considered projects.

Quote:

Did Matt Barkley are Ryan Nassib get cut? No, and they are on teams with a much more settled QB situation.

Barkley still got beat out by a 7th round pick from a year ago. You would think Barkley would have been at least the backup. But nope, he's the 3rd QB, who could be cut. I can't say for Nassib but that QB situation isn't settled.

rpmwr19 wrote:
By the way, who is they? Not one scouting report I read said or heard said anything about him being a project.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1598763-tyler-wilson-scouting-report-nfl-outlook-for-arkansas-qb

Quote:
As a rookie, he may be best suited as a backup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1617565-tyler-wilsons-complete-scouting-report-and-outlook-heading-into-2013-nfl-draft
Quote:
Before Wilson has any chance to start, he must develop experience in a pro-style offense.

Quote:
Needs to be an understudy for a couple of years, but it's all in front of him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707322/advanced-scouting-tyler-wilson

Quote:

Admittedly I could have missed one, but everything that I found and saw stated a lack of physical attributes (Booty) would prevent him from being a top QB in this league.

Booty was never projected in the 1st round. And it's his physical attributes that made Wilson a top project in the draft. Most scouting sites said he was a very vocal leader, a gunslinger, and a lot of different and positive attributes. The only thing that was a drawback was his hand size and he threw some wounded ducks. But again, it doesn't make a lick of difference because Wilson nor MBT will see the field and Minnesota will have to find a QB next year and Wilson nor MBT is the answer for that.

Wilson seemed better suited to the West Coast Offense as well.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the starting left guard if Johnson is moved to swing tackle? Baca?

I did miss Ryan Lownes scouting report as he's someone that I trust when it comes to evals and I'd like to point out that he said exactly why I did, Wilson has average physical tools. The second bleacher report article is from a correspondent who I know has no idea what he's talking about due to him saying Wilson has a strong arm. Wilson has a very average arm, trouble making the correct read and struggles to throw to the boundaries. The ESPN Dallas article is from a columnist, not someone who goes and scouts these guys.

You can't say for Nassib, but that QB situation isn't settled? I'm fairly certain Eli Manning is entrenched as the starter for many years to come. Barkley got beat out by a 7th round pick with a year of NFL experience and some starts under his belt.

I do agree with you that the difference between Wilson and MBT is largely negligible, but I would rather take the guy that can make all the NFL throws due to his arm strength, and I agree that Wilson is a better fit for a west coast offense due to his limited arm strength.

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
I don't even know why I am going to argue this anymore. Minnesota has one of the worst QB situations in the league not named New York Jets or Oakland, so Wilson isn't going to make a lick of a difference. We'll be needing a new QB next year anyway, so it doesn't matter if we have Wilson or MBT as a third spot. In two years, our QB will be completely different. Cassel, Ponder nor MBT isn't going to be the saviour.

No one knows this for sure.

Anyways, I think Wilson is a better prospect than MBT, but right now it doesn't make sense to sign him. He'd be too far behind in the offense. Maybe if this was still the offseason and he was cut we would consider picking up TW.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:

No one knows this for sure.

Cassel sure isn't going to stick around for more than 2 years.

And Ponder looked terrible in preseason. What I saw from Ponder was what I'd expect from a rookie QB, not someone that has that many games under his belt.

Quote:

Anyways, I think Wilson is a better prospect than MBT, but right now it doesn't make sense to sign him. He'd be too far behind in the offense. Maybe if this was still the offseason and he was cut we would consider picking up TW.

Thing is, Wilson isn't going to see the field or even MBT this year. Why not have him run the practices and get used to the team and the playbook without having to worry about tossing him into the fray and let him play next year.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Practice Squad Transaction: Bradley Randle signed, Joe Banyard waived.

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/375244502719401984
Tom Brady Tribute
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Practice Squad Transaction: Bradley Randle signed, Joe Banyard waived.

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/375244502719401984

That's odd. Either Banyard is hurt or they regret letting Randle go. Maybe they have plans to move Asiata where Randles special teams ability could come into consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banyard has had an awful week of practice according to reports.

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
What I saw from Ponder was what I'd expect from a rookie QB, not someone that has that many games under his belt.

Phillip Rivers was worse than Ponder this preseason, I guess he should be benched for Charlie Whitehurst.

Thx to Lil Uno!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: