Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Josh Robinson slotted to play... the slot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Josh Robinson slotted to play... the slot Reply with quote

In a Minnesota Vikings' secondary chock full of question marks, there is none bigger or more important than new nickel cornerback Josh Robinson. In his second year, Robinson is tagged with the task of replacing veteran Antoine Winfield, who utilized his 5-foot-8, 180-pound frame to slam into opposing running backs as if he were an outside linebacker.

Alan Williams: "Josh has never been inside before, so it's a big transition. I think I said it the other day, people don't understand how tough that nickel spot is. You have to fit up like a linebacker or safety inside the box and cover like a corner outside."

Frazier: "He's going to make mistakes, everybody does when you're new to a position. But I feel good about how he's picking up things. We're much more comfortable with him today than we were say three or four days ago when we opened camp. We just have to keep putting him in situations because this is all new for him and letting him gain experience. We need that position to play well for us."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Josh_Robinson_begins_task_of_filling_Antoine_Winfields_shoes080313

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have high hopes for Josh Robinson, I think he will be a really good slot CB. He had an up and down rookie season, and was asked to do a lot more then the staff probably wanted him doing due to the injury to Chris Cook. Robinson has incredible speed and quickness and showed good ball skills, getting bigger this offseason will help him for playing in the slot.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
getting bigger this offseason will help him for playing in the slot.

At 5-foot-10, 199 pounds, Robinson is already taller and heavier than Winfield, but the way Winfield played bigger than himself, clashing through offensive lines, is unexplainable on paper. Robinson said he tacked on five to 10 pounds in the offseason in preparation for playing inside.

Robinson: "Last year I was around 193, 194 pounds. I gained a little more muscle mass just to be able to take a couple of 300-pounders and things like that."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Josh_Robinson_begins_task_of_filling_Antoine_Winfields_shoes080313

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Yfz01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reports have been pretty positive so far, especially over the last 3-4 practices. I love when he's on the field because of his athleticism. Was a bit disappointed when Jefferson got reps over him at times last season.

Lil Uno with the sig.
VikingsFan51

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Chris Cook (6'2"), Xavier Rhodes (6'1") and Josh Robinson (5'10") the Vikings' secondary should be noticeably taller than last season. Actually, the Vikings may have one of the most physically imposing secondaries in the NFL when you consider how much Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford like to tackle.

^SiLo^
EliteTexan80 wrote:
You are the aweosmenst VIKINGS FAN!

YEAAAAH!
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I like to hear out of my adopted son. I'm so proud. Very Happy

skywindO2 wrote:
I'm still under the impression that the old coaching staff thought intercepting passes was against the rules.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The combination of Erin Henderson, new at MLB, and J Robinson, new at SCB, worries me. What the Vikings hope will be an improved secondary is still untested in the middle/ slot.

I think we'll see a few bumps in the road with those two guys covering the middle, at least for the early season games. That is something likely to be tested early by vet QBs like Rodgers.
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
The combination of Erin Henderson, new at MLB, and J Robinson, new at SCB, worries me. What the Vikings hope will be an improved secondary is still untested in the middle/ slot.

I think we'll see a few bumps in the road with those two guys covering the middle, at least for the early season games. That is something likely to be tested early by vet QBs like Rodgers.

On the other hand, the middle of the defense has been one of the Vikings' biggest weaknesses (especially against the pass) for a few years now; it is good to get some fresh blood in there.

I think Josh will be great in the slot. It may take him a few games to adjust but I think has the skills to be a good fit there.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this ^.

I am concerned with both over the short term, as well as how well Henderson will do covering from the MLB spot over the long term. I do not know enough about EH's ability to cover receivers to be confident this will solve the long running problem in the middle of the Vikings secondary.

Robinson for Winfield: a short term setback. May be an improvement for the long term.

Henderson for Brinkley: probably an improvement. Not likely to be a setback.
husker_vikes3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon Krawczynski ‏@APkrawczynski 16m
Alan Williams also says Josh Robinson looks much more comfortable in the slot. "He's coming along faster than even he thought he would"

That's my boy! Mr. Green

skywindO2 wrote:
I'm still under the impression that the old coaching staff thought intercepting passes was against the rules.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh was VRs mancrush draft time last year.
I thought slot CB was going to be his best spot on this team going forward, and which is why I was happy they took Xavier to be the 2nd outside CB.

Last edited by CriminalMind on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I thought slot CB was going to be his best spot on this team going forward, and which is why I was happen they took Xavier to be the 2nd outside CB.

There is certainly a wealth of potential in our Secondary. If they can all stay healthy and perform up to that potential, we could have a dominant Secondary for many years to come.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
I thought slot CB was going to be his best spot on this team going forward, and which is why I was happy they took Xavier to be the 2nd outside CB.

Agreed, taking Rhodes really helped to move Robinson into a position that probably is better suited for him.

I was a big Robinson fan based on his upside, I think playing in the slot could help alleviate some of the concerns of his ability to play coverage down field.
jshowers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Agreed, taking Rhodes really helped to move Robinson into a position that probably is better suited for him.

I was a big Robinson fan based on his upside, I think playing in the slot could help alleviate some of the concerns of his ability to play coverage down field.

Idk why most of us are just assuming Robinson is better suited to play in the slot. He's played outside his entire life... so are we making these judgments just because he lacks the ideal size of an outside press corner? Because it's not like there is game tape to evaluate where he has played well in the slot in the past.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
CriminalMind wrote:

Idk why most of us are just assuming Robinson is better suited to play in the slot. He's played outside his entire life... so are we making these judgments just because he lacks the ideal size of an outside press corner? Because it's not like there is game tape to evaluate where he has played well in the slot in the past.

In a press scheme, Robinson doesnt have ideal technique to play on the outside. Technique was one of his issues coming out as a prospect as he was thought of as more of a zone CB. The selection of Rhodes confirms that MN felt Robinson was not the best fit in a press scheme. Its evident that MN will be looking to run more press coverage.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/josh-robinson?id=2533542

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: