Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens re-sign FB Vonta Leach to a 2-year deal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Ravens re-sign FB Vonta Leach to a 2-year deal Reply with quote

Quote:
Ravens signed FB Vonta Leach to a two-year deal.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/361963525087834115

Tom Brady Tribute
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knew it was a matter of time when Pitta went down. Wonder what the money's like.

This should allow Caldwell to try Jusyszck as a Dallas Clark-type player focusing on catching passes for the time being and Leach will handle the blocking duties.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, I'm glad to have him back. As BTerp alluded to, this should somewhat offset the loss of Pitta by allowing us to utilize Juice more in the passing game while also keeping him in alongside Leach in certain formations, as necessary. Wonder what the details of the contract are though. And as always, in Ozzie we trust.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just perfectly makes sense.

We were primed to become a passing offense, but losing Pitta and then signing Shiancoe and Leach makes us able to go back to ground and pound and use PA to set up bombs to our speedsters. I love the signing of Shiancoe now because he's more of a blocking TE and Dickson is more of a receiving TE.

WELCOME HOME, VONTA!

SteelKing728 wrote:
I got Andrew Luck winning MVP this year

Official stalker victim of Harper41.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't think this signals a move towards the 'ground and pound' offense or anything of that nature. In terms of scheme I think Pitta's injury more means we'll have more 3 wideout sets than we were counting on because we won't be able to use 2 TE sets to the extent we were hoping, though I think we'll still see a lot of Dickson/Juscyzck sets.

But even without Pitta a power-run scheme just isn't Caldwell's style. He's talked a lot about wanting to shorten the passing game a bit and use more high percentage pass plays and I don't think losing Pitta will make him think differently about what constitutes a good offense. His scheme is still his scheme.

And we were already looking at bringing Leach back before Pitta got hurt so it's not like this was always going to be about shifting the scheme. Leach simply comes at a price now that fits the role he'll play, which isn't likely to change from the 20-25 snaps a game he played once Caldwell was calling the plays last year. It'll be nice to have someone playing the wrecking ball role for those running plays now, though.

The big change in wake of Pitta going down is that we're going to look to Juice to provide more of an outlet in the short and intermediate passing game. Bringing in Leach takes the pressure off of him to excel right away as a lead blocker and lets him focus exclusively on trying to help mitigate the impact of losing Pitta in the passing game. Losing Pitta just sort of accelerated the whole song and dance that went into bringing Leach back.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
I still don't think this signals a move towards the 'ground and pound' offense or anything of that nature. In terms of scheme I think Pitta's injury more means we'll have more 3 wideout sets than we were counting on because we won't be able to use 2 TE sets to the extent we were hoping, though I think we'll still see a lot of Dickson/Juscyzck sets.

But even without Pitta a power-run scheme just isn't Caldwell's style. He's talked a lot about wanting to shorten the passing game a bit and use more high percentage pass plays and I don't think losing Pitta will make him think differently about what constitutes a good offense. His scheme is still his scheme.

And we were already looking at bringing Leach back before Pitta got hurt so it's not like this was always going to be about shifting the scheme. Leach simply comes at a price now that fits the role he'll play, which isn't likely to change from the 20-25 snaps a game he played once Caldwell was calling the plays last year. It'll be nice to have someone playing the wrecking ball role for those running plays now, though.

The big change in wake of Pitta going down is that we're going to look to Juice to provide more of an outlet in the short and intermediate passing game. Bringing in Leach takes the pressure off of him to excel right away as a lead blocker and lets him focus exclusively on trying to help mitigate the impact of losing Pitta in the passing game. Losing Pitta just sort of accelerated the whole song and dance that went into bringing Leach back.

I think it also puts more pressure on a guy like Tandon Doss who can work the same area of the field that Pitta can.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Yeah agreed with you guys. I think Tandon Doss and KJ are simply more likely to see their roles increased versus us changing our scheme. That said, I wouldn't doubt the team increasing its emphasis on power plays a little more than what they might have with less experienced pass options. I mean, I think balance will still be the key, but especially early on in the season, I think running the ball more in that balance might be increased over some alternative universe where Pitta is still healthy.

Heck, with KJ being a fullback/H-back... putting him on the field means we will probably have more situations where we can be more flexible with audibling into runs or into passes based on defensive alignment. Though if Pitta was healthy, maybe we aren't audibling into runs as often as he's not going to present the same type of lead blocking ability as Juszczyk. Or maybe we tip our hand some by moving him from FB alignment to split end to get him blocking more in line.

So I suppose I can see the validity of both POVs, but FTMP, I think Leach returning is more a boon to our passing game than running game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think the Ravens will want to optimise what they can get out of the receivers they've got, before they regress to a ground and pound offense. They just paid a certain guy $120million, after all, and it wasn't to hand the ball off to Ray Rice.

It sounds like Tandon Doss is doing well in camp, and Juszczyk has been nicknamed, 'Little Pitta' by some of the journalists there, which I think sums up what his role is likely to be this season. But with more flexibility as to where he lines up.

As I said in the NFL News thread, I think a big part of re-signing Leach is that it frees Juszczyk up to not have to think too much about being a lead blocker this year. He can focus on polishing up his route running and competing for the ball.

There's also the bonus of Leach being a decoy. Put him on the field, the defense thinks it's a run, then pass it. It's worked before, it can work again. A strong running game is obviously going to be key to the Ravens' offense, but I don't think it will be the dominant factor.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: