Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Donovan McNabb retires on Monday; Eagles retire number 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles101

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
RollEagles wrote:
Hey hey hey Mewtwo. McNabb had some great years with this team.

Silo, is your impression of McNabb ruined by the late years where he was substantially reducing the worm population of Philadelphia?

Dr. Philly wrote:

Pure negativity right here.

Broadway Joe wrote:

How old are you? It seems you only watched McNabb from 2007 onwards

I never liked McNabb, ever. He was a necessary evil because it's all we had. We had had awesome teams and he would always blow it at the end. A genuine choke artist that was overlooked because of all the regular season stats.

When the defense got him to the superbowl...

Had no heart, was always crying, always had his head down. Without his safety blanket(westbrook) he was terrible.

He made it to 4 nfccgs. Choke artists don't do that. But I do love how you say that he sucked without his safety net when it was just shown he had no other options.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
SiLo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SiLo wrote:
RollEagles wrote:
Hey hey hey Mewtwo. McNabb had some great years with this team.

Silo, is your impression of McNabb ruined by the late years where he was substantially reducing the worm population of Philadelphia?

Dr. Philly wrote:

Pure negativity right here.

Broadway Joe wrote:

How old are you? It seems you only watched McNabb from 2007 onwards

I never liked McNabb, ever. He was a necessary evil because it's all we had. We had had awesome teams and he would always blow it at the end. A genuine choke artist that was overlooked because of all the regular season stats.

When the defense got him to the superbowl...

Had no heart, was always crying, always had his head down. Without his safety blanket(westbrook) he was terrible.

He made it to 4 nfccgs. Choke artists don't do that. But I do love how you say that he sucked without his safety net when it was just shown he had no other options.

Again, I never liked him, you're saying he made 4 nfccgs like he carried us there. He didn't, this team carried him and our defense carried us. When JJ left, we saw how much of a factor he was to our success. Every time McNabb was out the ship kept sailing smoothly. Hell Jeff Garcia rode this team to the playoffs. McNabb will always be overrated imo.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
Broadway Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team carried him? Really? I really doubt you were an Eagles fan from 2000-2004

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McNabb really had nobody to throw it to during those times at all, and it's an issue that still really hasn't been addressed post McNabb.

He carried us to the 5th one though.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway Joe wrote:

Fan yes, old enough (7-10) to comprehend what was going on 14 years ago doubtful. Silo if you don't realize Donovan McNabb single handedly put this offense on his back in the early years you were to young to understand, I'm sorry. Yes McNabb had very good defenses in most of those years but we still had to score points to win games. With the crap he was surrounded by outside of RB which was never utilized enough ,it was on him to get it done offensively. See you remember the throwing up supposed choke job by McNabb but ignore the fact these great defenses in those 5 NFCCG/SB couldn't stop Deion Branch to save their life (SB MVP), got abused in less then a QT by Fitz/Warner (21 pts) and the GSOT against STL. The Panthers and Bucs can be laid at his feet but as mentioned before it's hard to score points and not press when you have no viable options.

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:
8 QBs in NFL history completed 59% of their passes & threw for 35,000 yards. McNabb, Marino, Montana, Kelly, P. Manning. Brady, Brees, Favre

That's a hell of a group to be part of. Sad thing is Most will always blame McNabb for never winning a SB rather then the QB he truely was. He's the only one among that list to never be surround by a true #1 WR (if not 2) for more then a season. Absolute shame and travesty Andy Reid and Joe Banner didn't make that position more of a priority then they did.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 10 Gm/ 57 Rec/ 921 Yds/ 9 TD/ 16.2 YPC/

Last edited by Nabbs4u on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phire

Location: #FSU #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think offenses and defenses (on the same team) should be seen as completely separate entities, they still have an umbilical cord that connects them, because what the offense does on the field directly impacts the defense and what the defense does on the field directly impacts the offense.

Earlier on, McNabb's offenses moved the chains and he was never a really turnover prone QB. He didn't make it any harder on defenses than he had to.

People look at numbers without looking at context. Yeah, the offenses didn't score a TON of points earlier in the decade (aside from 2004). But we have to keep in mind the NFL didn't become a super-offense oriented pass-happy league until mid-to-late 2000s.

Did defenses have a big impact on the outcome of games early on? Yeah, but that's what the league was doing at the time coming out of the 90s. Even to this day "Defense wins Championships" holds true.

But just because the early McNabb offenses didn't resemble the high scoring offenses of TODAY, it doesn't mean that we were doing something terribly different within the temporal context.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.
SiLo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:

Fan yes, old enough (7-10) to comprehend what was going on 14 years ago doubtful. Silo if you don't realize Donovan McNabb single handedly put this offense on his back in the early years you were to young to understand, I'm sorry. Yes McNabb had very good defenses in most of those years but we still had to score points to win games. With the crap he was surrounded by outside of RB which was never utilized enough ,it was on him to get it done offensively. See you remember the throwing up supposed choke job by McNabb but ignore the fact these great defenses in those 5 NFCCG/SB couldn't stop Deion Branch to save their life (SB MVP), got abused in less then a QT by Fitz/Warner (21 pts) and the GSOT against STL. The Panthers and Bucs can be laid at his feet but as mentioned before it's hard to score points and not press when you have no viable options.

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:
8 QBs in NFL history completed 59% of their passes & threw for 35,000 yards. McNabb, Marino, Montana, Kelly, P. Manning. Brady, Brees, Favre

That's a hell of a group to be part of. Sad thing is Most will always blame McNabb for never winning a SB rather then the QB he truely was. He's the only one among that list to never be surround by a true #1 WR (if not 2) for more then a season. Absolute shame and travesty Andy Reid and Joe Banner didn't make that position more of a priority then they did.

You are right, I was young, but all I see when I close my eyes after hearing McNabb is dirt balls.

Bird Watch: Brandon Boykin
27 TACKLES 0 SACK 1 FF 2 INT
RollEagles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I remember of McNabb was a nearly unparalleled ability to evade pressure. Where as most QBs would just crumble or go down, Donovan would use that lower body strength to escape.

He was a great runner too. In the 4th and 26 game, he ran for a good amount of yards.

I miss Donovan. The security of having one of the top QBs in the game. Maybe not THE best but among the top QBs. That's something that we aren't even close to having right now.

I honestly believe that if you put Donovan in his prime on this team, we run away with the division easily and potentially would be a year away from being a favorite for the Superbowl (because of the defensive questions).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see they retired his number.

An integral part in getting our team out of the basement and into sustained success.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiLo wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Broadway Joe wrote:

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:

You are right, I was young, but all I see when I close my eyes after hearing McNabb is dirt balls.

I pitty you, you can't remember the best years of one of the most exciting Eagles players ever and an integral part of the best Super Bowl era Eagles

Thanks to Braylon4MVP for the sig!
Django

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine a young or prime McNabb in Chip Kelly's offense...wow Shocked Shocked

Obviously his accuracy wasnt the greatest...but still. I think he would be a beast in this system (and this talent around him...far better than the 1st half of his career..)
birdman0069

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved JJ's defense as much as the next guy, but they were far from shut down units. They usually gave up big plays on a semi-regular basis.
Donavan was the catalyst. Yes, we had a good ground game and good D, but he was a game changer. He could single handedly keep us in a ball game. I would kill for a QB on our roster right now like that.

Props to Eagles _808 on the sig.
PE, the new poster child for birth control.

Birdman, slowest to 10K
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiltman wrote:

In case you are like me and wondered which teams McNabb never beat.....Patriots, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, San Diego, and Eagles

Haha...James Thrash...jesus Christ what a joke..look at this sad roster..no of them went anywhere else and did anything either..i remember fred ex getting cut from an arena league team after chiefs cut him lol....

I just will never understand why you philly fans never blamed the front office...I mean they built that team to loose..mcnabb was in their way..and the fans helped..by always blaming him...

WR's that should have or could been drafted for Mcnabb..so many chances..

Plaxico Burress
Brandon Stokley
Donald Driver
Reggie Wayne
Steve Smith
Justin McCareins
Jabar Gaffney
Antwaan Randle El
Deion Branch
David Givens
Kevin Walter
Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Chris Henry
Santonio Holmes
Greg Jennings
Brandon Marshall
Delanie Walker
Sidney Rice
Dwayne Bowe
Anthony Gonzalez
Jacoby Jones
Laurent Robinson
James Jones
Mike Walker
Pierre Garcon

and that's not even considering being aggressive and trading to amp up that O....that's just guys that could have fallen in your lap for the most part. Guys like anquan boldin and Brandon Lloyd could have been wearing wings with a trade in the mid rounds...I mean..they simply weren't trying. We are not going to even get into the running backs..tony hunt? lol...or the fact that reid is an amazing qb coach but wanting no parts of a running game....and so I never understood why you guys hated mcnabb so much that you would not even turn around and ask your front office to stop stabbing you in the back. Your scouting was horrible too..everybody misses on draft picks..but geez...

anyway..here's to the most hated qb in nfl history...mcnabb you did it all with a smile on your face...I apologize for what you had to go through.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DudeWhat?? wrote:

Haha...James Thrash...jesus Christ what a joke..look at this sad roster..no of them went anywhere else and did anything either..i remember fred ex getting cut from an arena league team after chiefs cut him lol....

I just will never understand why you philly fans never blamed the front office...I mean they built that team to loose..mcnabb was in their way..and the fans helped..by always blaming him...

WR's that should have or could been drafted for Mcnabb..so many chances..

Plaxico Burress
Brandon Stokley
Donald Driver
Reggie Wayne
Steve Smith
Justin McCareins
Jabar Gaffney
Antwaan Randle El
Deion Branch
David Givens
Kevin Walter
Roddy White
Vincent Jackson
Chris Henry
Santonio Holmes
Greg Jennings
Brandon Marshall
Delanie Walker
Sidney Rice
Dwayne Bowe
Anthony Gonzalez
Jacoby Jones
Laurent Robinson
James Jones
Mike Walker
Pierre Garcon

and that's not even considering being aggressive and trading to amp up that O....that's just guys that could have fallen in your lap for the most part. Guys like anquan boldin and Brandon Lloyd could have been wearing wings with a trade in the mid rounds...I mean..they simply weren't trying. We are not going to even get into the running backs..tony hunt? lol...or the fact that reid is an amazing qb coach but wanting no parts of a running game....and so I never understood why you guys hated mcnabb so much that you would not even turn around and ask your front office to stop stabbing you in the back. Your scouting was horrible too..everybody misses on draft picks..but geez...

anyway..here's to the most hated qb in nfl history...mcnabb you did it all with a smile on your face...I apologize for what you had to go through.

I love McNabb as much as the next guy, but as a Steeler's fan, you don't know what it is like to get so close to winning it all and never achieving it. McNabb catches the most criticism because he played in Philly and because he broke our hearts in the Super Bowl.

That being said, he is the greatest QB in the history of our franchise and IMO no one deserves to have their number retired by the Eagles more then Donovan. He won our team more games then any other player in franchise history, and he will (hopefully) go down as one of the better QB's to ever play the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
I think that Randall was the best, but McNabb was the most productive and had the better organization around him. We see what Vick did with Reid, Randall would have won multiple MVPs.

I agree? Confused

psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: