Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens TE Dennis Pitta out for the season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Ravens TE Dennis Pitta out for the season Reply with quote

Quote:
Tight end Dennis Pitta was carted off the field during practice with a towel over his head.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/361216220315385857

***Update***
Quote:
TE Dennis Pitta has a dislocated hip. Will miss at least the Denver game.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/361231529592107008

***Update***
Quote:
Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is expected to be out for the year with a dislocated hip, per ESPN source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/361277685697232896
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I saw that Billy Spikes posted in our forum I was like Aww F.

Hope Dickson plays like he did in the Super Bowl.

Brick wall

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... crap. Hopefully it's not as bad as it initially sounds, but the towel over the head isn't a great sign.

The last thing the Ravens need, after losing Q, is for Pitta to be out.

Kind of strange coincidence that Visanthe Shiancoe was in at the Ravens' practice yesterday, now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
TE Dennis Pitta has a dislocated hip. Will miss at least the Denver game.

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/361231529592107008
Tom Brady Tribute
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he's coming back?

Oh thank Jesus.

We still gonna beat the living ish out of Denver. Cool

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
From what I am told, an injury like Pitta's is a 3 month injury/best case. If there are complications, obviously could be much longer.

https://twitter.com/LRiddickESPN/status/361240526797811712

That's really bad.
Tom Brady Tribute
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But better than a knee problem. Disappointing to say the least. This is the best chance Dickson is ever going to get. Factor in him being in a contract year and I think he's going to be pretty good.
drd23

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, thats a bit of a blow for the team and really poor timing for Pitta himself.

Sounds like he probably wont be back before late October as a best case scenario if what I'm reading is correct

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ycn-8031170
Quote:
Rehab times with hip injuries can be quite extensive. Even with a simple dislocation it is recommended that the injured athlete be admitted to the hospital for at least two weeks after the injury. Because of the traumatic nature of hip dislocations it is at least two weeks before weight can be borne on the injured area. Stretching and range of motion exercises are the recommended course. As the patient can tolerate, strengthening exercises should be introduced to the rehab regime. An athlete can expect to be doing light jogging after 6-8 weeks with full functionality after 3-4 months.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Ravens TE Dennis Pitta is expected to be out for the year with a dislocated hip, per ESPN source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/361277685697232896
Tom Brady Tribute
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty devastating news, obviously. Tough for Pitta too with it being a contract year. Dickson was already expected to play a big-ish role in the offense but this makes it all the more important. But oddly enough I do have faith in him. To me this is going to mean barring a trade for another wideout (which now more than ever wouldn't surprise me) we're going to be needing Tandon Doss or Jacoby Jones to step up given we're not going to be able to use 2 TE sets to the extent we were hoping. I should say here that the need for Deonte Thompson to step up was already there but now more than ever.

I also think this further opens the door for Leach to come back and allow Jusczyck to focus on pass-catching responsibilities.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this just got that much better.. Great Boldin trade Ozzie..

I don't have faith in Dickson full time. He's above avg
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens5520 wrote:
Wow this just got that much better.. Great Boldin trade Ozzie..

I don't have faith in Dickson full time. He's above avg

Laughing Dumervil > Boldin

They wouldn't have been able to sign him with Boldin's $6 million cap hit on the roster. Spears and/or Huff probably wouldn't have been able to be fitted in at that time either.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 34m
Source didn't declare Dennis Pitta out for the season definitively, but acknowledged: "It doesn't look good."

If Pitta really is out for the year that's a big bummer. Like I said before I think Dickson will do fairly well this season but losing a guy like Pitta is still going to hurt. Right now I think the biggest question is who Newsome is going to bring in at WR or TE. I wouldn't be surprised to see them sign Shiancoe pretty soon and really start scouring for a wide receiver.
drd23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5837/dennis-pitta
Quote:
Updating a previous item, NFL.com's Albert Breer reports Dennis Pitta has a hip fracture and will miss the entire 2013 season.

This confirms a report by ESPN's Adam Schefter. Pitta underwent surgery Saturday and is now facing a lengthy rehab and potentially career-threatening injury. He's no longer a realistic candidate to be placed on injured reserve/designated for return. Ed Dickson will replace Pitta in the starting lineup. The Ravens have also expressed interest in free agent TE Visanthe Shiancoe. Jul 27 - 10:27 PM
Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this is a big blow, but from a schematic standpoint, I don't think this should change what we were going to do too much. Kyle Juszczyk should be able to play the second TE/split end type role that we were looking to designate Pitta in. Obviously we won't be as creative with that role however as KJ will be learning two positions.

I think what this does do though is increase Vonta Leach's leverage a little. We can use KJ in Pitta's stead, as well as a combination of Tandon Doss and David Reed. But we can only continue that versatility if we can perhaps find someone to lessen the workload on our rookie H-back and help in the lead blocking department. And obviously Leach is the ideal candidate to do more than just help lead block.

In the long run however, this might just help the Ravens. An injury like this could help make Pitta's next contract much more affordable to fit along with having Flacco going into his prime with his favorite target.

But in terms of this season, I would imagine with a 3 month recovery time- give or take. Pitta becomes an obvious PUP regular season guy. I'm not sure I would quite yet risk the Injure Reserve exception on him at this point as we might need that for someone else during the regular season.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's about as bad as it could have been, then.

Not a great start, but the only minor positive I can find is that it happened early in TC, which gives Joe time to work with Dickson and the other TEs and WRs, to get more comfortable and build good rapports.

Dickson needs to become more reliable. We've always known he's got playmaking ability, he's just never been a guy who I'm confident will catch the majority of balls thrown at him. Eyes are on him now, and he's in a contract year, so it's really make or break.

I agree that the best immediate solution is to get Leach back, and ask Juszczyk to line up more at TE. I think he can definitely surprise some people with his abilities as an H-back/TE/slot receiver this year. Now it just looks like he's going to be given more opportunities to do that.

We'll also have to see what Matt Furstenburg has got, and early signs are decent. I'd prefer him to get the #3 TE spot over Bajema, because we know Furstenburg can block, but we also know Bajema is almost non-existent as a receiving option.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: