Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Even ESPN Realizes Potential Make or Break Year for Freeman
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SappDaddyDance

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Even ESPN Realizes Potential Make or Break Year for Freeman Reply with quote

Interesting article on Josh Freeman. Not sure if it was already posted on the site, but as we all know Freeman is up for a big year and there are some interesting notes to look at regarding Josh Freeman and the analysis of his struggles during the 3 game melt down.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9510979/bill-barnwell-breaks-josh-freeman-chances-having-bounce-back-year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of many similar, but several good articles breaking down Josh Freeman. It seems it's league wide that he might be the biggest Enigma of the NFL that is hard to figure out. One series he throws lasers that are accurate. The next two, he'll throw balls that you wanna know, WTF is going through his head.

Me, personally, I'm not sure if he takes that next step this year. I think we've seen what he is: Inconsistency that leads to back up (Similar to Jason Campbell). Just not consistent enough to be a starter.

Already in camp, I keep hearing reports that he's looking uncomfortable, indecisive, holding the ball too long, and lacking anticipation in throws.
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
It's one of many similar, but several good articles breaking down Josh Freeman. It seems it's league wide that he might be the biggest Enigma of the NFL that is hard to figure out. One series he throws lasers that are accurate. The next two, he'll throw balls that you wanna know, WTF is going through his head.

Me, personally, I'm not sure if he takes that next step this year. I think we've seen what he is: Inconsistency that leads to back up (Similar to Jason Campbell). Just not consistent enough to be a starter.

Already in camp, I keep hearing reports that he's looking uncomfortable, indecisive, holding the ball too long, and lacking anticipation in throws.

That makes me nervous, but perhaps it is the result of people nitpicking because that's how he's always been.

Certainly makes me happy that we grabbed Glennon now.
gatoralex911

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Freeman this Josh Freeman that. Its only August 2nd and everyone locally in Tampa has spent a good part of the past 6 months talking about if he will be a Buccaneer after this season. I certainly hope he does what he needs to do come the regular season and hopefully playoffs to keep his job long term. All the talk of what he is doing in training camp and what he has done in the past. It doesnt really matter honestly. Josh needs to go out this season and ball out. All the articles, radio discussions, and so on are just beating a dead horse.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/07/fixing-the-qbs-josh-freeman-and-the-lag-between-potential-and-greatness/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp&sct=nfl_bf4_a8

good read
RoeKG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDandPEWTER wrote:
http://nfl.si.com/2013/08/07/fixing-the-qbs-josh-freeman-and-the-lag-between-potential-and-greatness/?sct=hp_wr_a2&eref=sihp&sct=nfl_bf4_a8

good read

This was a good read. The breakdown of his mechanics articulates a lot of things I've always felt but was never able to explain or discuss. Glad I checked this link out.
SappDaddyDance

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoeKG wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

good read

This was a good read. The breakdown of his mechanics articulates a lot of things I've always felt but was never able to explain or discuss. Glad I checked this link out.

Excellent article Bussell gives a great analysis as he has seen Freeman on a day to day basis. The only problem that I have with that is that it shows how little Freeman Alex Van Pelt was able to do for Freeman in the two years (granted he lost one year to the lockout) in correcting this footwork error. Freeman's issues has consistently been his footwork as many of have noted on here as well. You would hope that McNully has looked at Flacco's change in footwork and applied some of those processes to limit the strides of both Freeman and Glennon when they step into their throws, as both are big body QB's which large strides.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good read. Never thought about Freeman's strides being so long honestly, but it makes sense. Hopefully we are working some stuff, and getting Free back on the move. I still think he's one of if not the best when throwing on the run. Fingers are crossed for this season boys. Its do or die, no more excuses, especially from me!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SappDaddyDance wrote:
RoeKG wrote:
REDandPEWTER wrote:

good read

Excellent article Bussell gives a great analysis as he has seen Freeman on a day to day basis. The only problem that I have with that is that it shows how little Freeman Alex Van Pelt was able to do for Freeman in the two years (granted he lost one year to the lockout) in correcting this footwork error. Freeman's issues has consistently been his footwork as many of have noted on here as well. You would hope that McNully has looked at Flacco's change in footwork and applied some of those processes to limit the strides of both Freeman and Glennon when they step into their throws, as both are big body QB's which large strides.

Well said. Freeman has shown the ability to stand tall in the pocket and keep his eyes down the field, but when his footwork gets lazy it's a big problem. Easily my biggest gripe with him.

I love reading articles like this because it really shows how the little intricacies can have such a massive effect on performance.

I was happy with Freeman's footwork last week, but I have to see more to be convinced.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit odd that the coaches throughout his Bucs career seem to be trying to turn him into a Drew Bledsoe type statue, when that's clearly not his strength.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=93473

Quote:
The Bucs seemingly donít believe that has anything to do with Freemanís mechanics. In fact, new quarterback coach John McNulty made it very clear to Joe and other media that tweaking/teaching a veteran like Freeman mechanics is virtually worthless.

Apparently the coaches don't care about his mechanic problems? Confused
5nick5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Betty wrote:

Quote:
The Bucs seemingly donít believe that has anything to do with Freemanís mechanics. In fact, new quarterback coach John McNulty made it very clear to Joe and other media that tweaking/teaching a veteran like Freeman mechanics is virtually worthless.

I was fairly confident in the coaching staff until reading this quote. Isn't this the same staff that preaches fundamentals? With Freeman, it's all mechanics. And he's only 25, there's certainly enough time to tweak his mechanics.

As the season draws closer, I'm getting more and more unsure about this season. I'm putting my faith in Freeman and I'm going to support him, but I just don't know if he can put together those consistently good performances. Maybe I've just been watching too much ESPN.

Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD
deuces22wild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5nick5 wrote:
Evil Betty wrote:

Quote:

I was fairly confident in the coaching staff until reading this quote. Isn't this the same staff that preaches fundamentals? With Freeman, it's all mechanics. And he's only 25, there's certainly enough time to tweak his mechanics.

As the season draws closer, I'm getting more and more unsure about this season. I'm putting my faith in Freeman and I'm going to support him, but I just don't know if he can put together those consistently good performances. Maybe I've just been watching too much ESPN.

If Freeman is the same Freeman I would still expect us to be better than last season. With a healthy Nicks and Joseph back the run game will probably be leaned on a tad more. Both guys will also allow more time when we do decide to pass. Also the upgrade in the back end of the defense with Revis, Goldson, Banks and the young guys getting more experience this offseason the arrow has to be pointing up. If Freeman holds us back we should still see a spike in the win column this year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really don't need Freeman to be Aaron Rodgers though..if we expect him to throw for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns a game, we're going to be disappointed. We have receivers in Jackson and Williams that can get open and make plays, a running back who is awesome at life, and a strong o-line (when healthy). Couple that with a stronger defense, and all Freeman has to do is sustain drives, take some shots, and hit open targets consistently.

I think this is the first year that Freeman can do more by doing less.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deuces22wild wrote:
5nick5 wrote:
Evil Betty wrote:

Quote:

If Freeman is the same Freeman I would still expect us to be better than last season. With a healthy Nicks and Joseph back the run game will probably be leaned on a tad more. Both guys will also allow more time when we do decide to pass. Also the upgrade in the back end of the defense with Revis, Goldson, Banks and the young guys getting more experience this offseason the arrow has to be pointing up. If Freeman holds us back we should still see a spike in the win column this year.

That's true. I don't see us being worse than last year. But the competition in the NFC this year is heightened. I honestly could see any of the 16 teams in the conference making the playoffs.

Freeman just needs to protect the ball, but at the same time, he can't be hesitant to make the big throw. I hope a lot of his mental errors from last year, such as the picks, were just a result of the coaching staff not having too much faith in him with his first year in a new offense. Everything was pre-determined. If he can go through his reads and have confidence with his decision-making, then I think that will go a long way in his development. But working on his fundamentals doesn't hurt. He's no Aaron Rodgers, but if he can get the mental aspect down and improve his fundamentals, he could very well be a top-10 QB in the Ben Roethlisberger mold.

Thanks to BGG on the sig.

Adopt-a-Buc - Johnthan Banks 40 Tackles 2INT 5PD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: