Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens Training Camp 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BareYourTeeth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week til preseason! Glad to see the gang all here.

2000WORLD CHAMPIONS2012
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes from the Sun today:

Quote:
DICKSON CONTINUES TO SHINE: Tight end Ed Dickson has really come on the past few days of camp and is seizing an opportunity after Dennis Pitta dislocated his hip. In one team drill, Dickson sprinted straight up the field, found a seam between a pair of defenders and caught a laser from Flacco. He ran untouched to the end zone. On another play, Dickson made a nice diving grab in the end zone.

Quote:
OMAR BROWN DOING OMAR BROWN THINGS: Safety Omar Brown became a minor fascination last summer because of his penchant for picking off passes and having fumbles bounce into his lap. He was back at it Thursday, intercepting two passes. On the first, he sprinted forward from his deep zone to jump a pass thrown by Tyrod Taylor. Later in practice, he leapt to pick off Taylor again, prompting linebacker Terrell Suggs to yell, "He's the greatest!" over and over.

Quote:
NGATA GETTING NOSY: Haloti Ngata has spent a lot of time at nose tackle in camp so far enough to make it seem he could be a mainstay in the middle of the defensive line this season. He has been a handful for centers Gino Gradkowski and A.Q. Shipley, and if he can stay healthy and get back to collapsing the pocket this season, the team's pass rush could be very good.

Quote:
SPREADING IT AROUND: It might have been a part of the plan for camp all along, or maybe the Ravens are adapting to life without Pitta, but they have spent a lot of time in their "11" package three wide receivers, a tight end and a back the past couple of practices. It was their most frequently used personnel grouping in 2012, and Flacco appeared most comfortable last season when the Ravens went three-wide and no-huddle. And versatile athletes such as Dickson and running back Ray Rice give the Ravens formational flexibility in that grouping.

Quote:
HEAVYWEIGHT MATCH: Guard Kelechi Osemele and defensive tackle Arthur Jones, two of the most impressive players during training camp, went one-on-one in a blocking drill Thursday. Osemele, who still appears to be a little limited by the hamstring he tweaked earlier in camp, pancaked Jones on one rep, latching onto him and wrestling Jones onto his back.

Quote:
CAUGHT IN HIS WEBB: Cornerback Lardarius Webb is being eased back into the mix as he returns from offseason knee surgery, but he made his presence felt in one seven -on-seven drill in the red zone. Webb knocked down a pass in the right side of the end zone after Deonte Thompson tried to shake him on a quick out route. Two plays later, Webb picked off Flacco in the end zone for his first interception of the summer. They were only a couple of plays, but they were encouraging.

Usual caveat about not realizing the relative insignificance of training camp heroes applies.

I've also been reading that Adrian Hamilton has been impressing so far. Encouraging news on Dickson, and it's not surprising to hear that they're looking smoothest in the 3 wideout set. With Rice in the backfield it still allows us to personalize the offensive look and create some mismatches and it gives Flacco more options in the no-huddle with both run/pass. The success of that look will depend a lot on whether Dickson can take advantage of his opportunities.

I love that Gradkowski is getting worked on by Ngata on a daily basis. There's not a better way for him to prep for the season than going up against an elite defensive lineman. When the season starts and he starts playing more average linemen it might even feel like a luxury to him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been hearing good things about chykie brown too. Apparently the coaches told him he's in contention for a starting spot.
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayvens4sb wrote:
Been hearing good things about chykie brown too. Apparently the coaches told him he's in contention for a starting spot.

Yeah, he seems to be a real favorite of the coaching staff as well as his teammates. I know that Ed Reed talked a lot last year about taking Chykie under his wing and seemed extremely impressed with his talent and work ethic.

We heard a lot about Jimmy Smith over the offseason on how much more dedicated he seemed and how he was camped out at the team facility for most of the spring, but since training camp started I haven't really heard much about how he has played aside from a note from like the 2nd game of camp where it sounded like Flacco had a big day targeting him. It'll be interesting to see if Chykie pushes him for playing time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seeming more and more like Streeter is a goner. Marlon Brown practiced with the 2nd team ahead of him today, which means that he's fallen behind an UDFA rookie. And from the sounds of it he dropped he's having a lot of problems with drops.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are loaded at DE. Jones has been underrated through his career and is already a good starter. He looks primed for a breakout year, but it may be a tough path to the field if Ngata doesn't slide inside. DeAngelo Tyson was a pleasant surprise as a rookie and KLM is a really good development prospect.

If Jones does break out, he'll probably be our next departed FA turned comp pick after the year.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
It's seeming more and more like Streeter is a goner. Marlon Brown practiced with the 2nd team ahead of him today, which means that he's fallen behind an UDFA rookie. And from the sounds of it he dropped he's having a lot of problems with drops.

I think so. Marlon Brown has the same physical attributes as him, but reportedly more in terms of the mental side of the game. Of course, his knee injury is a question, which is probably why he wasn't drafted.

Streeter already appeared to be dead last in the pecking order before Brown started impressing, so I would imagine he's pretty concerned right now. But for a guy his size, I'd imagine some other team would be interested.

wackywabbit wrote:
We are loaded at DE. Jones has been underrated through his career and is already a good starter. He looks primed for a breakout year, but it may be a tough path to the field if Ngata doesn't slide inside. DeAngelo Tyson was a pleasant surprise as a rookie and KLM is a really good development prospect.

If Jones does break out, he'll probably be our next departed FA turned comp pick after the year.

I really liked how Jones developed in the last third of the season, and the playoffs. He started looking like a real handful for any O-lineman to deal with. I think he will start this season, with Ngata shifting inside, but I do think the Ravens will rotate their D-line guys heavily, so all will get a lot of time on the field.

If he does leave next year, then hopefully Kapron Lewis-Moore will be ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I think so. Marlon Brown has the same physical attributes as him, but reportedly more in terms of the mental side of the game. Of course, his knee injury is a question, which is probably why he wasn't drafted.

Streeter already appeared to be dead last in the pecking order before Brown started impressing, so I would imagine he's pretty concerned right now. But for a guy his size, I'd imagine some other team would be interested.

wackywabbit wrote:

I really liked how Jones developed in the last third of the season, and the playoffs. He started looking like a real handful for any O-lineman to deal with. I think he will start this season, with Ngata shifting inside, but I do think the Ravens will rotate their D-line guys heavily, so all will get a lot of time on the field.

If he does leave next year, then hopefully Kapron Lewis-Moore will be ready to go.

Art Jones is my pick this season to be the guy (or one of the guys) that we lose to FA and everyone not in the Ravens fanbase questions our ability to replace him, despite the fact that it was considered a joke that he would be one of the guys to replace Redding. Similar to Paul Kruger-Jarrett Johnson.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you won't find an argument from me on that pick. Same thought here. They'll say something along the lines of Marcus Spears is old and Canty is injury prone... and there's no one else in our stable with Art Jones level of ability... whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out Arthur Jones was named the starter at RDE, no less. Ngata was listed at NT and Canty on the left.

Ozzie is maximizing that comp pick... Laughing
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

wackywabbit wrote:

Art Jones is my pick this season to be the guy (or one of the guys) that we lose to FA and everyone not in the Ravens fanbase questions our ability to replace him, despite the fact that it was considered a joke that he would be one of the guys to replace Redding. Similar to Paul Kruger-Jarrett Johnson.

Yeah, like Mark Kriegel on the NFL Network, who somehow manages to point to Dannell Ellerbe leaving as proof that the Ravens will be weaker (and he constantly refers to him as, 'the chosen heir to Ray Lewis', which is just absurd). Doesn't stop him from arguing that Ellerbe won't improve the Dolphins, though, somehow.

It amuses me when guys like him reel off names as though they're making an argument, and it becomes clear they almost never watched any of those guys play.

It would be nice to keep Jones, but I do see him having a big year, what with the strength on the D-line and the pressure off the edges from Suggs and Dumervil.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Yeah Streeter is a disappointment. How one can be that tall and that fast and not be an impactful player is just beyond me.

Anyway, I had never heard of Marlon Brown before now... but now that I have... I'm definitely rooting for this guy to really turn heads and get an opportunity with this team. The guy has the perfect nickname... "The Godfather".

EDIT: And yeah, I know that's technically one of Ray's unofficial names, but if Marlon became good enough... the nickname is his for sure. Ray has Mufasa to fall back on... which I think is cooler and more fitting anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dickson is out 1-2 weeks with a slight hamstring tear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Turns out Arthur Jones was named the starter at RDE, no less. Ngata was listed at NT and Canty on the left.

Ozzie is maximizing that comp pick... Laughing

To be fair it is the early preseason depth chart so it doesn't mean much. I believe the compensation formula relies mostly on the size of the contract a player gets anyways.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Dickson is out 1-2 weeks with a slight hamstring tear.

I hate anything to do with hamstrings. 1-2 weeks could easily turn into one month, which could turn into 6 weeks. I'm sure they'll be careful with him, but hamstrings have always proven to be injuries that guys are over only for them to strain again or be working their way back and then suffer a bigger tear... they're annoying injuries. At least with an ankle you can wrap it up. The hamstring belongs to the biggest muscle group in the body (IIRC- that being the glutes muscle group)... and pissing it off is not a good thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: