You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dream Mock - Second Attempt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
logibear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

Allright ya’ll, let’s take a look at what the browns need to do this offseason and my take on how they address those. First thing we need to do is evaluate the current roster. What are the biggest weaknesses, what do we absolutely need to upgrade.

Stay Pat:
TE – Cameron does his thing, Barnridge is Mr Reliable and unathletic, while Marquies Grey is the high-ceiling development type they hope will blossom in years 2 and 3. Bottom Line – if they have someone ranked really high and he’s available in the middle rounds they’ll add a weapon next to Cameron but that’s a luxury right now.
LT, LG, C – Projecting we resign Mack.
DLine – Phil Taylor, the Bryant Brothers, Winn, Hughes, and Rubin are all coming back.
SS – Projecting we Resign Ward.
RT – The FO hopes that Schwartz improves and they don’t need to replace him as he’s shown flashes of great play, just needs to be more consistent. Plus they’ve got Reid Fragel (who’s currently on the 53-man roster) and Faulk to challenge him in Training Camp next year. (Side Note – As I mentioned above, I don’t see Schwartz moving here. When La Canfora mentioned the Browns trading for Monroe mid-season he said they’d try to trade Schwartz if they got Monroe -> they don’t see him as a Guard)

Minor Needs:
FS – Gipson isn’t winning you a lot of games, but he’s not losing you games either. Also, they’d really like to see if Jamoris Slaughter is better than Gipson next year in camp. Bottom Line - They might take a flyer on a late-rounder at S, but don’t expect something in the first 3 rounds.
CB – Haden is a #1 corner, and Skrine is playing great opposite him. Chris Owens has come on as of late but next year the #3 corner role will be Leon McFadden’s to lose. Bottom Line – maybe a late round flyer, not a bid need.
OG – Do they resign Luavao? They might low-ball him. Do they let him go and replace him with Pinkston with Gilkey challenging him? I think so. I think they know the economics of an NFL roster and know you can’t spend a lot of money on Guards. They look at Pinkston’s tape as a rookie and see he can be the guy. Bottom Line – They can get by with Pinkston, but they’ll add a body to challenge the starters across from Gilkey.

Big Needs:
Future Franchise QB – Hoyer and Campbell can play Average-to-Above-Average, but most likely aren’t the Franchise QB that gets you to the Super Bowl. Bottom Line – Expect a bold move -> Trade Up to get one in the first.
RB – Dion Lewis seemed cool, but remember he was given away by the Eagles and promptly broke his leg in the preseason. He’ll get a shot next year but if his mobility is done he could be released. Fozzy, Willis and Obie? Only one I see for sure sticking around is Obie as a do-it-all type. Bottom Line – They flirt with Tate but he ultimately get resigned with the Texans who are done with Arian Foster. A couple middle round picks.
WR – Jason Campbell said it, they need a leader to guide Little and Gordon. Also need more talent. They address this in the first two days of the draft and/or a veteran in Free Agency.
ILB – Robinson and Jackson lack the physical tools to really impact the game as ILBs by covering TEs and RBs and blitzing effectively. I’m curious to see if Robertson can pick up his game the second half of the season and save his job for next year. He’ll definitely get a chance to compete next year as a FA and/or Mid-Round draft target.

Free Agency
CUT – Weeden – We hope someone in the AFC North signs you.

Resign – Alex Mack (C) and TJ Ward (SS)

They target these players, none older than 28 and all with relatively clean injury history:
Ben Tate – RB
Emannuel Sanders – WR
Eric Decker – WR
Golden Tate – WR
Jon Asamoah – RG
Donald Butler – ILB
Sam Shields– CB
Vontae Davis – CB
Stevie Brown – FS

Sign
ILB – Donald Butler – formerly of the Chargers. They now have Teo as their MLB of the future. He becomes the Browns big dog in the middle next to Jackson or Robinson, depending on how well Craig plays down the stretch.
WR – Eric Decker – Another steal from the AFC West. Decker coaches Gordon, Little and Benjamin on the finer points of route-running, has more legitimacy then Davone Bess b/c he doesn’t look like a 50 year old man and just won a Super Bowl with the Broncos, plus he can basically just reprise his role with DEN as a #2, but for a little more money and a few more catches.

Draft
*Trade – 1a+1b+3+2015 2nd Rounder to Tampa Bay for #2 Pick*
#2 Overall – Marcus Mariotta or Teddy Bridgewater - QB – They get their guy, whoever they like most who’s available at #2. Franchise QB of the next 20 Years.
2 – Melvin Gordon – RB, WISC – Mariotta’s redshirt sophomore RB of the future.
3 (via Pit) – Donte Moncrief – WR, Ole Miss – 6’2’’ 220, he’s another tall, jump ball winning WR to pair with Decker and Gordon.
4a) Carlos Hyde – RB – tOSU – He teams with Gordon as the two-headed backfield of the future. They keep Obie around to mentor Gordon and Hyde, maybe keeping Fozzy as a KR.
4b) (via Ind) and 5) Rounder – Best OG/ILB available. – Let’s try to get some good competition in Training Camp. These are spots where you don’t need to nail a day one starter, just try to get someone with the requisite athleticism that can develop into a starter-potential by 2015.
6) Keith McGill – CB, Utah – My guy. He’s 6’2’’ and 200 lbs. They need a young CB to groom behind Haden, Skrine and McFadden. He’ll get a chance to learn the D and play special teams.
7) Trey Millard (Okla) or Chad Abram (FSU) – FB – Millard may last this long considering his season ending injury. I project if they don’t take someone like Abram who can play next year, they look long-term at having Millard on IR all 2014 and having him come in 2015 to replace Obie.
Undrafted FA – QB – Kenny Guiton – Practice Squad?

New Depth Chart

Qb - Hoyer/Mariotta/Campbell/Guiton
RB - Gordon/Hyde/Obie/Fozzy
WR - Gordon/Little
WR2 - Decker/Moncrief/Benjamin
Slot WR - Bess/Huff*
TE - Cameron/Barnridge/Grey
LT - Thomas/Faulk/
LG - Greco/Gilkey
C - Mack/Greco
RG – Pinkston/Rookie RG
RT - Schwartz/Fragel

DE - Bryant/Hughes/Bryant
NT - Taylor/Kitchen
DE - Rubin/Winn

OLB - Kruger/Mingo
ILB - Butler/Cardner/Rookie RG
ILB - Jackson/Robertson
OLB - Sheard/Groves

CB - Haden/Skrine/McFadden/McGill
FS - Gipson/Slaughter
SS - Ward/Bademosi

K - Cundiff
P - Lanning
KR - Benjamin
PR - Benjamin
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: tmmmmm Reply with quote

This all depends on if you truly believe that Mariota or Bridgewater are worth that many picks. AND would that be enough to move up? Look at the RG3 trade. I'm sure the skins are thinking about kicking themselves in the butts over it.

that is all

mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
abbs1988

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this ere mock.

This offense looks like a winner with Gordon, Decker, Mariota, Cameron and Gordon. This is a complete offense.

To me this looks to project as a top 15 offense from jump.

I don't think Defense is a problem as we already have a top 10-15 defense. Don't think it's an issue that needs addressing within the first 3 rounds.

I think Mariota is a guy who can put up numbers. Go all in for him; I agreee.

I see this as a winning football team and a perennial AFC North tittle winner if things go as planned.

"I Know What Hue Jackson Can Do" -Hue Jackson
buno67

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

-I think Gipson is doing just fine. Him and Ward are now both ranked inside the top35 for all safeties int he league. Gipson is #35 and Ward is #9. They are starting to build good chemistry. Like you said Gipson isnt costing us games but isnt winning us game. I like Gipson that he is playing very solid. I rather have him be the solid player and allow Ward to be the guy who can roam around the field. I think if you try to get 2 safeties who both want to roam and make plays, it will cause problems IMO. I think Gipson and Ward compliment one anotehr very nicely and deserve to stay together. I think having a year of starting under his belt will help him a lot. Look at what Skrine did with all the starting experience he picked up filling in at the #1 DB spot last year for Haden. Give Gipson a whole offseason to review his film and work with Horton and he should improve. Nothing about Gipson to me screams we need to attempt to replacement. We bring in depth but to me Gipson has the position locked up for next season unless he has a brutal injury (knock on wood)

-I agree with adding more depth at Corner. With the way the league is now. There is no such thing as having too much depth at DB.

-I like Luavao and I think they resign him. I dont see the FO trying to low ball or Luavao trying to get over paid. I think they will find a happy medium.

-I dont agree on trading up for a QB. You go PBA. I think with one of the browns 1st picks, BPA will be a QB. Also there are a lot of QBs out there to me would play well for the Browns IMO.

-I want to draft the QB with the best potential in their eyes. It might not be the best RB in the draft but there is going to be a QB who wont have the hype, who was hurt in college, or just came on really late. To me when it comes to RBs it doesnt matter what you do in college. Its such an easy position to find talent at that you dont need to draft a RB high unless they are seen as elite but even then they bust like TRich. I would hate to see us drafting an RB in the first 2rounds unless that RB is truly the BPA on the board.

-I agree on your take of the WRs. The Browns need a solid Vet at the position. A vet WR who would be a leader. So you arent going to find that in the draft. You look at the FA list and its not very exciting. Out of all the WRs who could make a great leader is Anquan Boldin but I dont see him coming to the Browns unless we over pay for him, possibly look at Santana Moss. One WRs would like but would cost to much is Nicks. Him and Little have a connection from their UNC days.

-For ILB, we have to draft the best ILB there is.

-I want to know where you saw Decker as a free agent WR.
Im using this site for FAs
http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?option=WR&y=2014

ok nvm just saw on Roto world that Decker is a free agent in 2014. I still dont think they let him go tho. Welker wont be around much longer and I think they see him as a good replacement for Welker once he is done.

-To me that is way to much to trade up for QBs who are nothing special. Just look good because the draft is weak this year. I think With Hoyer and Campbell played/playing well enough will allow the Browns to not reach for a QB but draft one they think is right for their system. Look at this. Weeden was a QB the FO didnt bring in or had anything to do with and he sucked majorly with the coaches and this system. The FO brings in Hoyer and Campbell for the coaches and they both played extremely well for the Browns. I think the FO might now what Chud and Norv like in a QB or that our FO has a nose for the QBs and knows what to potential look for. So I think we should trust the FO with the decision they make for QB. I think with Weeden they just wanted to see what they had in him becuase he was a 1st rd QB who has talent. They gambled on him to see if they can keep some picks but it didnt workout. To me it was house money for them.

-I like Hyde more as a starting RB then Gordon. Thats just my opinion

after that i am fine with your draft
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buno

I like going BPA, but if it comes down to where you think 1 QB is head and shoulders better than another one, you have to go get him.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

Butler and Decker = overspending.

HUGE trade up to #2 to draft Mariotta/Bridgewater- both of which are FAR from elite franchise prospects.

Sorry, but this is bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

HUGE trade up to #2 to draft Mariotta/Bridgewater- both of which are FAR from elite franchise prospects.

Sorry, but this is bad.

Teddy is a pretty damn good prospect.

It won't happen, but i'd give up that much for Teddy in a heartbeat.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Sorry, but this is bad.

Good prospect.... Yes he is.

Elite? Luck elite? No he isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Sorry, but this is bad.

I'm not arguing that, but he is well worth that haul of a trade.

If we need a QB and have that type of ammo, there is no reason not to get the best one.

Unless they don't think he is the best.

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Sorry, but this is bad.

I'm not arguing that, but he is well worth that haul of a trade.

If we need a QB and have that type of ammo, there is no reason not to get the best one.

Unless they don't think he is the best.

The best in THIS draft class? Maybe, but that is only part of the picture.

I liked what I heard from one of the radio guys.... This draft class is heavy on quantity of good QBs, not necessarily elite QBs.

I no way do I trade the farm (and tie the future of our coaching staff) for just a good QB. Hold your spot, draft based on talent, and take a good QB when he comes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO

We have enough talent. You're never going to find a perfect QB. However find the guy that you believe can win a superbowl.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
NO

We have enough talent. You're never going to find a perfect QB. However find the guy that you believe can win a superbowl.

It doesn't matter where you want to go, you don't spend all your money on a horse with three legs... Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream Mock - Second Attempt Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:

Sorry, but this is bad.

I see all those picks given up to get Mariota, and I think... why not keep them all and just one to draft a better QB

JOHNNY FOOTBALL!

Otherwise, the Melvin Gordon pick is perfect, and coupling him with Hyde is a nice thought.
Browns1987

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way i give that much to get Mariota. Even less after watching his last game against a good defense.

The rest i like, we share some picks. But that trade up killed it for me.
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with it. I think the trade kinda hurts, I like the FA and there is no way we are going to carry as many draft picks as we have selections. If they want Mariotta or TB that bad, then they need to go get them. Waiting for projects haven't worked for us yet. They have the draft picks to go get their guy without sacrificing future draft picks.

I would be more than happy with this draft and think this will look more like draft day for us than any other draft picking 10+ rookies. I see us drafting 6-7 players total on draft weekend.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: