Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

what is charles tillman's ranking at his position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D. Rose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: what is charles tillman's ranking at his position? Reply with quote

i have a really difficult time accepting people's argument that charles tillman is not a top 5 cb. i see so many list of people not including tillman in the top 5 and i just don't understand why. tillman was elite not only in coverage, but also as a playmaker as well. am i being a homer or totally off base here or do i have a legit complaint? darrelle revis is the best cb in the league, but after him you have several guys who could compete for that #2 spot and tillman is one of them.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have him at 3 behind only Revis and Sherman.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think he is better than Sherman. Sherman is still developing, but when you look at man coverage Tillman shut down Calvin Johnson twice, and Johnson ate Sherman alive, as did Marshall. You look at run support, Tillman outshines Sherman by FAR, having over 20 more tackles and over double the number of forced fumbles. Sherman does have better hands, but Tillman is just better overall.

I have Tillman as the second best corner in the league. Sherman is probably 4th or fifth, with Peterson being third and Bailey still being elite enough to challenge him.

Edit- I do want to point out Sherman MAY have the highest ceiling in the NFL at his position for any player currently in the league, I am talking for right now though, not future potential. Remember, he is still fairly new to the position.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting article about Tillman by PFF: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/07/09/charles-tillman-trapped-within-not-made-by-zone-scheme/

Quote:
Over two games, the Lions threw at Megatron 14 times with Tillman in primary coverage. Johnson caught five passes for 70 yards. Tillman got his hands to four of them...all but one of those catches, and 64 of the 70 yards, came when Tillman was playing loose coverage in Cover-3 looks.

So, Megatron managed a whopping 6 yards in two games when Tillman was allowed to man-up on him (either in straight man or riding him in zone coverage) as opposed to playing off the line with the idea of allowing an underneath completion. Anybody that says Peanut is overrated or "only a cover-2 corner" need only to look at those two games (and they can go back to the previous two as well).
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Revis gets back to being 100% healthy then Tillman is #2…if not he is #1.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
He's (Peanut Tillman) the highest ranking corner in the NFL if he continues the same high level of play from last season.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey still being elite enough to challenge him.

position.[/quote] Champ Bailey fell off drastically after being smoked by Tory Smith. You saw how bad dude got treated right?
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillman should get HoF consideration.

Urlacher and Tillman are going to be held to a higher standard because of the number of Bears already in the HoF. Mostly defenders. Cool
D. Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonsterCityGHS wrote:
Champ Bailey fell off drastically after being smoked by Tory Smith. You saw how bad dude got treated right?
that was one game, you can't judge a corner off that, but that is exactly what most people do. bailey had a pretty good year last season, from what i recall. his playoff game vs the ravens was pretty poor, but so was the broncos safety play in that game. i'm not saying bailey is better than tillman at this time, but don't say bailey fell of drastically and then use an example of one game. years and years ago, i specifically remember a game vs the oakland raiders where champ bailey was absolutely roasted by jerry porter, he gave up three touchdowns in that single game. doesn't mean he wasn't still a top notch cb afterwards.
D. Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrelle revis got worked by stevie johnson two years ago and johnson usually has pretty strong games vs revis. does that mean revis is not an elite corner? no. it could just be a poor matchup for whatever reason.
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Rolling Eyes
MonsterCityGHS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Rose wrote:
darrelle revis got worked by stevie johnson two years ago and johnson usually has pretty strong games vs revis. does that mean revis is not an elite corner? no. it could just be a poor matchup for whatever reason.
Nah bruh we are discussing the word elite, and currently as of right now bailey is not elite period. Disagree whatever thing is that game where he was dawged treated gun smoked was a playoff game. A there is no such thing as a poor match up if the corner is elite period. Period bruh.

I'll put my elite corner on their best receiver every game out. Every game because my elite is not going to be dawg out like your guy did in the playoffs. Tillman matched up with arguably the best receiver in the NFL and came up big. Tory Smith is not an elite receiver so why would he be a match up problem for an elite corner? So with all due respect bailey is an elite corner over as far as his whole career, but him being an elite corner on the field today nah bruh. Look at it this way if MJ got - on by Russell in the NBA finals could we still call him the best SG or elite?
D. Rose

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. kobe bryant played like crap when the lakers beat the boston celtics in seven games in 2009, played like crap when the lakers lost to the celtics in 2008. he was still elite. bad games happen to everyone. is darrelle revis an elite cb? he gets worked by stevie johnson half the time they play each other, yet johnson isn't anywhere near an elite wr. bad games/performances happen. every player has bad games, even the best ones. it does not mean that they're not elite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: