Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preston: One AFC HC questions Harbaugh's coaching post-Lewis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Preston: One AFC HC questions Harbaugh's coaching post-Lewis Reply with quote

Quote:
"On the day when former Ravens great Ray Lewis announced his retirement last season, one AFC head coach said: "Now, we'll find out if little Johnny can coach." Regardless of the impressive record during his previous five seasons in Baltimore, there has always been a perception that Lewis ran the Ravens. It's unfair to Harbaugh, one of the best in the NFL, but his leadership will be under scrutiny in 2013. It's official now: This is Harbaugh's team."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-mike-preston-what-to-watch-during-the-first-week-of-ravens-training-camp-20130722,0,3524910.photogallery?index=bal-bs-sp-ravens-minicamp-p23517-0612-lam-20130611

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably Rex Ryan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Probably Rex Ryan.

I could see why this might be Rex, but I think this statement might discredit him too. It could somewhat downplay his accomplishments in Baltimore a bit.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Probably Rex Ryan.

I could see why this might be Rex, but I think this statement might discredit him too. It could somewhat downplay his accomplishments in Baltimore a bit.

What other coach would A) be asked about how they felt about Ray retiring, B) be upset enough to call him "Little Johnny".

Nobody else I can think of, honestly. Sure it could discredit him a little bit, but if he can beat down Harbaugh who got the job he wanted at the same time, he's the type of guy who seems to have no problem doing so. Majority of coaches would have answered with a lot more of a PC response such as "Ray was an on the field coach -- I'm interested in seeing how the culture of that team changes with him gone."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
green24 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Probably Rex Ryan.

What other coach would A) be asked about how they felt about Ray retiring, B) be upset enough to call him "Little Johnny".

Nobody else I can think of, honestly. Sure it could discredit him a little bit, but if he can beat down Harbaugh who got the job he wanted at the same time, he's the type of guy who seems to have no problem doing so. Majority of coaches would have answered with a lot more of a PC response such as "Ray was an on the field coach -- I'm interested in seeing how the culture of that team changes with him gone."

It could be Andy Reid. Harbaugh was his STC in Philly for nearly a decade. It could also be Marvin Lewis. He was Ray's DC for six years.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
green24 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Probably Rex Ryan.

It could be Andy Reid. Harbaugh was his STC in Philly for nearly a decade. It could also be Marvin Lewis. He was Ray's DC for six years.

Both are much more politically correct than Rex.

Neither would be upset at John Harbaugh to the point of calling him "Little Johnny". Marvin wasn't even around, and Andy Reid would have been happy for Harbaugh working his way up to being a HC.

All signs point to Rex, in all honesty. He's the most likely culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if Preston was the one to attain the information from the source, then you'd have to expect it to be someone with roots to the Baltimore franchise... which would narrow these comments down to Rex Ryan, Chuck Pagano, or Marvin Lewis. And Marvin Lewis what with Hard Knocks filming, the fact that he hasn't been with this organization in some time, and like you said he would be incredibly unlikely to use such a flippant reference for Harbaugh...

Assuming there actually IS a 'source' for Preston's comments and not simply him making up stuff (which I wouldn't safely assume) then the most likely candidate for these comments would be Rex Ryan. With Chuck Pagano as a darkhorse candidate. I mean, it's unlikely, but there were rumors that Harbaugh and Pagano didn't leave on the best of terms, not sure if that was ever completely squashed. That said, I doubt Pagano would use such brash language even if he did butt heads with John or question his coaching.

However one angle not considered is that this could be some sort of assistant coach on another team that suffered a bitter loss to us or maybe has ties to the Ravens.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

However one angle not considered is that this could be some sort of assistant coach on another team that suffered a bitter loss to us or maybe has ties to the Ravens.

The article states that it's an AFC Head Coach, so it narrows it down to at best, 15 people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

The article states that it's an AFC Head Coach, so it narrows it down to at best, 15 people.

I think its Tomlin
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I think its Tomlin

Doubtful. Tomlin has always been respectful and the respect between the Steelers and Ravens is very, very high. Plus, what gripe would he have with Harbaugh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
bmorecareful wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I think its Tomlin

Doubtful. Tomlin has always been respectful and the respect between the Steelers and Ravens is very, very high. Plus, what gripe would he have with Harbaugh?

Remember when we beat them and Harbaugh was saying "the better "team won" the more prepared team won" and all that stuff in the post game comments.' I remember Tomlin taking offense to that.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Tomlin and Harbaugh are too keen on one another, but I can't see Mike Tomlin being that openly disparaging about another HC. He seems like a guy who prefers to keep his views on other teams and individuals to himself.

Rex Ryan was the guy who sprung to mind for me, though. He says dumb stuff like this, he has always talked up his Ravens defense, and Ray Lewis in particular, he obviously wasn't thrilled that Harbs got the HC job and he didn't.

It could be someone completely random like John Fox or Gary Kubiak, of course. The one guy I'm sure it wasn't, however, is Bill Belicheck, because he's way too media savvy to say anything that verges on interesting or controversial. Plus I think he likes Harbs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, the anonymous coach does bring up a good point, and TBH, in that little tidbit where it says "one of the best in the NFL", I just kind of laughed a little bit.

I'm still not sold on Harbaugh, and like the article says, this year will show how much Harbaugh's "coaching" really plays into the team. I've never thought of him as a great motivator, not smart when it comes to situational football (challenges, etc.), not smart on making personnel moves (not firing Cam Cameron for 2 years after it was obvious Cam needed to go), and I'm still unsure that he can keep a locker room together because nobody outside of the organization will ever know what really went on last year when it was reported there was a split between the locker room, or whatever that was.

Either way, the anonymous coach was right - Now that Ray is gone and Ed is gone, we're gonna find out what Harbs is made of.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Salty about Dennis Pitta? Please... Dude is average as average goes...
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harbs has an opening 5 years that rivals the accomplishments of almost any coach in the game through the years. You don't do that by accident.

It's one thing to say that rebooting without franchise faces like Ray and Ed creates new challenges for Harbaugh. It's quite another thing to say that, "now we get to see what he's REALLY made of," as if he was just sitting on his ass these past 5 years letting the circumstances around him do the work for him. As if winning a playoff game 5 years in a row, making 3 conference championship games, and winning a Super Bowl somehow don't count as speaking to Harbaugh's abilities as a head coach simply because Ray Lewis was around.

Perhaps it would be useful to ask why we never managed anything resembling the sort of consistency and success that we have established under Harbaugh back when Billick was coach, when it was Billick and not Harbaugh who had the benefit of coaching Ray during his prime years. But I suppose one would have actually had to have followed the team back then to have that sort of perspective. Alas, I probably shouldn't bother getting into this again. For some people even winning a Super Bowl isn't enough; Harbaugh's just a special teams coach till the day he dies.

And yeah, that was definitely Rex. Makes sense from a sourcing standpoint as well as a motive standpoint.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what some are still waiting to see from Harbs as a Ravens fan...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: