Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DEN LB Miller suspended 6 games; Tried to cheat test [pg.28]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just hope he doesn't have a problem with this stuff and its a party aid and nothing else.

Speaking from personal experience, its very unlikley that he is going to become addicted to Molly and allow it to ruin his career. Its a definate 'once in a blue moon' type of drug.

I would go as far as being more concerned about a bad weed habit because it is a lot more likely that someone will start smoking from sunrise to sunset and allow it to impact their 'non-party' life than it is for someone to become addicted to MDMA.

Speaking from personal experience only but thats my take.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I think its kinda absurd that we are judging his partying habits despite the fact that he CLEARLY gives his 110% week in and week out during the season. If the guy wants to pop some MDMA in the offseason, I could care less. We are talking about a 23 year old here. He is going to be imperfect.

The ONLY thing he did wrong was get caught and cause the team to lose its best player for 4 games.

He didnt drive drunk and endanger others. He smoked weed in a state where it is legal and did some party drugs over the summer. I could care less.

Steroids are a whole different monster, IMO. I hope those rumors are not true.

Why is it that so many people love to compare a 24 year old in the NFL to a normal 24 year old? They aren't the same. The fact is, Von's job means that he is under a severe amount of pressure to NOT do drugs. By doing so, he has severely let his teammates down and also the fans that spend a lot of money to support him. Oh, and not to mention the young children who idolise him that will have to read about him taking drugs.

Oh, and it's "couldn't care less", not "could care less". If you could care less as you state, then that means you clearly do care (even if it is just a little).

MUFC OK
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I think its kinda absurd that we are judging his partying habits despite the fact that he CLEARLY gives his 110% week in and week out during the season. If the guy wants to pop some MDMA in the offseason, I could care less. We are talking about a 23 year old here. He is going to be imperfect.

The ONLY thing he did wrong was get caught and cause the team to lose its best player for 4 games.

He didnt drive drunk and endanger others. He smoked weed in a state where it is legal and did some party drugs over the summer. I could care less.

Steroids are a whole different monster, IMO. I hope those rumors are not true.

Why is it that so many people love to compare a 24 year old in the NFL to a normal 24 year old? They aren't the same. The fact is, Von's job means that he is under a severe amount of pressure to NOT do drugs. By doing so, he has severely let his teammates down and also the fans that spend a lot of money to support him. Oh, and not to mention the young children who idolise him that will have to read about him taking drugs.

Oh, and it's "couldn't care less", not "could care less". If you could care less as you state, then that means you clearly do care (even if it is just a little).

Yeah I see what you are saying Broncosfan and this is obviously going to be overblown....but thats how it always is. With every athlete. Especially an all-pro.

Von is not allowed to do drugs as an employee of the Broncos. He broke the rules and at the end of the day that IS doing something wrong. Except it's even worse because his name is all over the media for a week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I acknowledged that he should not have jeopardized his team by doing drugs but unfortunately the entire public narrative is going to revolve around how 'Von is a drug abuser! Von has a problem!" etc. rather than than 'Von jeopardized four Broncos games'. That is the only issue here.

And dont even get me started on sports players as role models. When Von signed his contract, when all athletes sign their contracts, they are signing up to play a game. It is not their responsibility to raise a bunch of little kids vicariously through the television.

Saying that Von let down little kids is implying that he had an inherent moral responsibility to be a role model for the kids. That is BS IMO. He has a responsibility to stay on the field and make plays. He let the team down by not staying on the field. That is all he did wrong.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
And dont even get me started on sports players as role models. When Von signed his contract, when all athletes sign their contracts, they are signing up to play a game. It is not their responsibility to raise a bunch of little kids vicariously through the television.

Saying that Von let down little kids is implying that he had an inherent moral responsibility to be a role model for the kids. That is BS IMO. He has a responsibility to stay on the field and make plays. He let the team down by not staying on the field. That is all he did wrong.

That is your opinion. Mine is that, like or not, as an elite player in a professional sport you carry a lot of weight with young people. Like it or not, your actions can and will shape certain lives.

Now you are right - you can shirk that responsibility and claim, "its my life I will do what I want". But in doing so you will lose the respect of people such as myself, who believe you should hold yourself to higher standards as a result of this 'burden'.

MUFC OK
Molsted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so much for Von as a franchise cornerstone. I think this shows a severe flaw in his character and even if it will brushed over/forgotten after this case, a mistake like this makes me think we will see a player in the future who cannot be entirely relied on as a foundation i.e. as a role model in the lockerroom down the road.

I know few will agree with me on the implications of this. But besides this I agree with everything lomaxgr has put forward in regard to this case.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record... people who think this is really about pot simply don't get it. It doesn't matter what he was taking. All that matters is that he he knowingly took a substance he knew was banned. It could have been cocaine, ecstasy or ADD medication (since every NFL player all of a sudden has ADD.) the result would be the same. He decided that for him having a good time and being a druggie is more important than being committed to his team. It is selfish and shows lack of integrity.

To the role model point. Athletes are role models because people look up to them. Period. They willfully chose to make a living in the public spotlight. They represent the organization they are employed from. Part of any corporation is to be a positive presence in the community.Players are no different. If he wants to be nothing more than a miscreant than that is his prerogative. However, he should not be in the public spotlight and look at the moral clause that all contracts have. He is embarrassing the organization he works for and the community

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:

That is your opinion. Mine is that, like or not, as an elite player in a professional sport you carry a lot of weight with young people. Like it or not, your actions can and will shape certain lives.

Now you are right - you can shirk that responsibility and claim, "its my life I will do what I want". But in doing so you will lose the respect of people such as myself, who believe you should hold yourself to higher standards as a result of this 'burden'.

This. Could you imagine most of our childhoods if Michael Jordan was busted for drugs.

Kids look up these players, idolize them and want to be just like them 'when they grow up'. So you have to be cognizant of the message you're sending.

With great power comes great responsibility. Stakes are higher the bigger star you are.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious little twitter spat between our esteemed Denver sports figures tonight

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there won't be an official decision until after camp:

Adam Schefter on Twitter wrote:
NFL targeting mid-August as appeal date for Von Miller's 4-game suspension. Resolution expected before regular season.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/360047027662503936
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
Hilarious little twitter spat between our esteemed Denver sports figures tonight

Please share!

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:

Please share!

Just look at Kiz's, Vic's, and Adrian Dater's tweets last night

This tweet set it off:

Mark Kizsla wrote:
Why you should watch Press Box (10 pm, Ch 3): Altitude can't talk bad about Kroenke teams. Root sugarcoats Rox. We keep it real.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone saw the minicamp presser. Von just got done talking. He seemed incredibly rattles IMO.Hopefully, someone had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him and its the type of experience he needs to wake up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elwayfan07 wrote:
I don't know if anyone saw the minicamp presser. Von just got done talking. He seemed incredibly rattles IMO.Hopefully, someone had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him and its the type of experience he needs to wake up

Yeah, he was definitely uncomfortable with this situation. Talking with the media since his time in Denver has been mostly receiving praise and having fun. It was very awkward all around.

Reading into his many non-answers, I took away that this suspension "investigation" has been going on for a while. He said he is not the same person he was 2 or 3 years ago. Also, Von was asked if marijuana is part of his life, to which Von answered "absolutely not".
champ+jay+al=SB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was wearing a young money shirt lol Im sure you appreciate that lomax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 7 of 32

Jump to: