Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadeye

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammymvpknight wrote:
How has Lamar Miller looked this year in comparison to Bush last season? How involved will he be in the passing game?
I've only seen Miller make his two runs in the Dallas game this season. But I can tell you from his Hurricane days and rookie season, Miller is a way more decisive runner than Bush. He makes one cut and then hits whatever hole there is. And his acceleration is phenomenal, Bush doesn't run like that at all with all his dancing around. IMO Miller has a good chance to be a better pure runner than Bush.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:
How has Lamar Miller looked this year in comparison to Bush last season? How involved will he be in the passing game?
I've only seen Miller make his two runs in the Dallas game this season. But I can tell you from his Hurricane days and rookie season, Miller is a way more decisive runner than Bush. He makes one cut and then hits whatever hole there is. And his acceleration is phenomenal, Bush doesn't run like that at all with all his dancing around. IMO Miller has a good chance to be a better pure runner than Bush.

Bush is not nearly decisive enough to thrive in a zone blocking scheme. He can be dangerous, and he will produce big plays in the open field. He can even do well in lengthy stretches when the offensive line is dominating the opposing defense. However, he will disappear when the opposing defense gets penetration or position because he will try to bounce everything outside or hesitate to go north/south and get caught for minimal gains or losses.

Miller, by contrast, is perfectly suited for it. He is more decisive and explosive hitting holes than Bush, plus he's bigger and faster, which doesn't hurt. His running style will take pressure off the offensive line, which is already best at run blocking in the first place. Blockers won't need to hold their blocks for as long, as Miller is more likely to make one cut and get moving forward.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Bush is not nearly decisive enough to thrive in a zone blocking scheme. He can be dangerous, and he will produce big plays in the open field. He can even do well in lengthy stretches when the offensive line is dominating the opposing defense. However, he will disappear when the opposing defense gets penetration or position because he will try to bounce everything outside or hesitate to go north/south and get caught for minimal gains or losses.

Miller, by contrast, is perfectly suited for it. He is more decisive and explosive hitting holes than Bush, plus he's bigger and faster, which doesn't hurt. His running style will take pressure off the offensive line, which is already best at run blocking in the first place. Blockers won't need to hold their blocks for as long, as Miller is more likely to make one cut and get moving forward.

I wouldn't say Miller is faster? Is he? I think he looks faster on the field because he gets north/south in a hurry.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I wouldn't say Miller is faster? Is he? I think he looks faster on the field because he gets north/south in a hurry.

I don't think you appreciate how fast Miller is. Bush was MAYBE faster than him in 2006, but he's not now.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I don't think you appreciate how fast Miller is. Bush was MAYBE faster than him in 2006, but he's not now.

I love Miller's speed! HE was my favorite pick last year. He should be fantastic for us. But as a former RB I know how much faster a guy can look if he is a one cut, north and south type of runner. I ran in the low 4.4's in college. But I heard all the time from people that I was the fastest RB they have ever seen. It's because I hit the holes hard, and fast and if I made a cut it was one cut and then move north again as fast as I could. I didn't dance or hesitate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I love Miller's speed! HE was my favorite pick last year. He should be fantastic for us. But as a former RB I know how much faster a guy can look if he is a one cut, north and south type of runner. I ran in the low 4.4's in college. But I heard all the time from people that I was the fastest RB they have ever seen. It's because I hit the holes hard, and fast and if I made a cut it was one cut and then move north again as fast as I could. I didn't dance or hesitate.

Miller is a low 4.3 guy. He's one of the fastest backs, players even, in the league. Even if he weren't faster than Bush, which I 100% believe he is, the difference would be negligible.
Phinsnation84

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

Miller is a low 4.3 guy. He's one of the fastest backs, players even, in the league. Even if he weren't faster than Bush, which I 100% believe he is, the difference would be negligible.

I FREAKING LOVE QUOTES!!!!! Laughing

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
ovaw8lover

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I would agree with you on this. Bush did not look as explosive as when he was at USC. Looks can be deceiving if anyone ever saw Eric Dickerson run the rock. That guy glided and no one ever caught him.
Warpticon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
Warpticon wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
sammymvpknight wrote:

I would agree with you on this. Bush did not look as explosive as when he was at USC. Looks can be deceiving if anyone ever saw Eric Dickerson run the rock. That guy glided and no one ever caught him.

Bush spent most of the second half of last year getting caught in the backfield or for short gains while he was trying to turn the corner. I'm sure that bruised knee/thigh played a part in it too, and he does still have elite agility, but it doesn't matter if you can't get into space to use it.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this but:

I was really anti- John Jerry before the season started mostly due to his size. Now I'll say this: the Oline looks a lot different when he's missing. Jerry's run blocking was never spectacular but the dude is strong and sits on pass pro. Samuda got abused against the Jags.

And for what it's worth: Armando said Thomas looked much better at RT. I honestly didn't notice. Anybody else see it?
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the most recent game (locally they played the Bucs games from Friday night....based on what I read...

- Will Davis could end up the nickle corner by the time the season starts...the guy makes plays and is really working to get on the field.

- Tannehill is already building a little relationship with Keller...I like the trio of Keller, Hartline and Wallace....each adds a little something different.

- From what I have read the RG spot is very questionable...Martin is now an after thought until they find someone who can play there.

- The defense is going to be very good...and very fast.

- Wake is still a beast and it was fun watching him welcome Joeckle to the NFL.

- The all whites are sweet...I also dug the lighter aqua from the HoF game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the newspaper articles...Davis makes a bunch of interceptions but also gets beat regularly.

Thomas did look much better at RT. He looked particulary good on running plays where he was asked to turn his guy inside, or seal block on a guard, and let the pulling OL get the tackle. That showed a knowledge of the game that I liked. But I was surprised how bad he looked at LT. He seemed much better in college. Still hoping for Louis at RG and expected more from Clabo.

Not sure if that pass to Keller was brillant or lucky. If the DB had been looking it was an interception, and at best, a tough catch for Keller to make.

Not as sold on the LB'ers as others are. Then again it took Dansby and Burnett a year together to look okay.

Most important to me. We showed improvment from last week on both sides of the ball. And last year I said the financial part was screwed because we had too much money in older vets of defense and not enough on offense. We did a good job of turning that around. If the new CB's pan out we can afford to keep two/three big contract guys on the DL/CB and Jones at safety. If Odrick, Oliver, and Jordan (on the DL) and Davis, Taylor, and Carroll (DB's) prove to be our future; then we only need to get lucky on a couple of guys like Shellby/Randall/Wilson and retain a few guys like Grimes/Wake/Jones/Solia or Starks.

We badly need quality depth at LB and our OL is, simply put, a glaring weakness despite the vast resources spent on it over the past several years. This all assumes Tanny is a "good enough" QB (which sadly, I'm not sure of yet).
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
According to the newspaper articles...Davis makes a bunch of interceptions but also gets beat regularly.

Thomas did look much better at RT. He looked particulary good on running plays where he was asked to turn his guy inside, or seal block on a guard, and let the pulling OL get the tackle. That showed a knowledge of the game that I liked. But I was surprised how bad he looked at LT. He seemed much better in college. Still hoping for Louis at RG and expected more from Clabo.

Not sure if that pass to Keller was brillant or lucky. If the DB had been looking it was an interception, and at best, a tough catch for Keller to make.

Not as sold on the LB'ers as others are. Then again it took Dansby and Burnett a year together to look okay.

Most important to me. We showed improvment from last week on both sides of the ball. And last year I said the financial part was screwed because we had too much money in older vets of defense and not enough on offense. We did a good job of turning that around. If the new CB's pan out we can afford to keep two/three big contract guys on the DL/CB and Jones at safety. If Odrick, Oliver, and Jordan (on the DL) and Davis, Taylor, and Carroll (DB's) prove to be our future; then we only need to get lucky on a couple of guys like Shellby/Randall/Wilson and retain a few guys like Grimes/Wake/Jones/Solia or Starks.

We badly need quality depth at LB and our OL is, simply put, a glaring weakness despite the vast resources spent on it over the past several years. This all assumes Tanny is a "good enough" QB (which sadly, I'm not sure of yet).
I am with you I think Lance Louis is a sleeper to win the RG spot soon. He is just started full contact practice last week and may get some game action next week
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:

Getting beat less every day, but I think his ceiling is as an elite nickle guy over the slot. He just isn't physical enough to play on the outside. They will find ways to abuse him. Not that it's a bad thing. An elite nickle guy is a valuable player in today's NFL.

I'm hoping for Louis as well!

Not sure if that pass to Keller was brilliant or lucky. If the DB had been looking it was an interception, and at best, a tough catch for Keller to make.

Lucky as Hell! I thought it was funny that it was called a brilliant back shoulder pass. Looked like a duck that didn't go anywhere like where he wanted it to go. The fact that Tanny calls it progress scares me. I don't think I saw any improvement in his game yet from the first preseason game. I'm still holding out hope though. Hope we don't have to suffer through a major sophomore slump.

It sounded like Ellerbe made a huge impact in this one? There run game was shut down.

I see Starks not on this team after this year. I'm not sure we need him anymore to be honest. I think Soliai really wants to be here and will take a pay cut. That will leave us with Odrick, Soliai, and Randall as our rotation. I'm really high on Randall. We won't even need to use a high draft pick on another DT. So the only questions left to be honest for next year on defense would be the CB position. I'd love to see us lock up Grimes long term. I've seen it mentioned by Omar Kelly that we will probably just use the franchise tag on him, but I don't think he has done the math. The franchise tag on a CB will be significant. In the 12 or 13 mil range I believe? I could be wrong on that? If we can lock up Grimes and resign one of either Patterson or Marshall I think we will be looking good, because of the two rookies we are bringing in to compete. We are set at DE and LB for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% disagree with the suggestion that the TD pass was lucky or a bad pass. I've watched it over and over and don't know what you're seeing. It's exactly the way guys like Manning and Brady make TD passes and get praise all the time. The ball was thrown on the inside while the defender was on the outside. If the defender had looked back he would have had to go through Keller to get the ball.

Last edited by Warpticon on Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: