Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp news
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3155
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our record won't be an indication of the Oline but of Tannehill. I fundamentally believe that as long as he progresses, we will be competing for a playoff spot regardless of the Oline.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ovaw8lover


Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 9065
Location: Dolphins Stadium
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warpticon wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
ovaw8lover wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
I'm all for looking at strengths and weaknesses.

But I look at the philosophy that roots against a current Dolphin player:

Option A: The player uses Camp and 5 preseason games to improve and make the team. No trade necessary and we keep our draft pick.

Option B: Root for our player to continue to fail so that we can make a trade of a valuable draft pick.

Why isn't the option that keeps the picks we have be the better option ?

This is coming form a place of pain. Expecting the worst due to your teams past performance has turned into Desiring the worst. Sorry, that won't be me.


I missed the part where someone is/was rooting against a player or the team.

I guess one could argue its not unlike the "Suck for Luck" club. If you think a player moving on gets us better faster. Personally, I am more like yourself, dolphinologist, I can't bring myself to root against anyone on the Dolphins. I'd much prefer to be absolutely wrong about my assessment and have their on field play make me zip my mouth, but I can't hate on a fan for identifying poor play when he sees it and wanting us to get better, and I would guess, that's all that's being said.

Either way, lets hope play is improved. This was just a first preseason game, but we have had much longer than one game to assess the play of Martin. Hopefully the light goes on, and quick, for everyone's sake. I'm not holding my breath, though.


Merc, I would say I am leaning towards rooting against Martin at this point if it will initiate a trade. Of course I want Martin to do wel but nothing I have read or seen has changed my opinion of the fact he is weak with poor technique. I am tired of Miami fixing holes just to expose different ones. It is draining.

I am sure Miami can do things to help out Martin. Lord knows Green Bay has been able to be productive without the services of a good line but they have a HOF QB. Tanney is not at that point yet. I am not sure he ever will. Jury is still out on him but having protection allows us to judge him fairly.


I've led the charge on the "Martin stinks" campaign. I certainly agree with you and have also been calling for the team to either replace him on the left side, or to bring in some serious competition. So I am 100% with you on identifying his sucky play. Believe it or not, at the end of last season, there were plenty of people on these boards trying to tell me that Martin played "well" or "pretty well" last season. I got frickin' raped for suggesting that he sucked balls last year. I know you were amongst the few that agreed that he was bad. Whatever the case, it was inexcusable to not bring in competition for the position that would actually be competition.

And I also agree, we risk seriously impeding the growth of Tannehill if the line sucks, as it has thus far. People don't like to hear the truth sometimes, but the truth will be apparent as the season develops. Martin isn't an NFL caliber player at this point in his young career. Having him inked in as starter was so obscenely stupid it hurts, and my guess is that the entire line is going to be well below mediocre this season. One problem traded in for another. We need better GM-ing.

And yes, the uniforms are soft. I called them "Charmin soft" when I saw them. They have grown on me a lot though. As others have said, I have grown to love how clean they look.


Martin actually did progress to the point of playing pretty well as a run blocker by the end of last year. Unfortunately, his pass protection peaked at acceptable.

When he fails as a pass blocker, it typically comes from one of two cases: either he gets overpowered and pushed back into the pocket, or he gets beat badly off the snap and can't recover. The former is more common, but the latter is what I'm most concerned about.


The best way to make a offensive lineman look good is to have him run block because they typically do not get pancaked going forward. When absorbing punishment they risk being embarrassed. That is one reason Jake Long always looked like gold. Sparano wanted to run the ball, which took the pressure off his pass pro. This is one of the reasons Miami had to let him go. He will do well in St. Louis if he can stay healthy.
_________________
"Yesterday Is History, Tomorrow Is A Mystery, And Today Is A Gift. That Is Why It Is Called The Present.""
Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12819
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Our record won't be an indication of the Oline but of Tannehill. I fundamentally believe that as long as he progresses, we will be competing for a playoff spot regardless of the Oline.


If you have read some of the reports from camp, and if you saw the broken screen play in the game you note that Tannehill is frustrated with the time he has from the poor blocking. Tannehill could have difficulty developing if he is picking his rear up off the turf every other time he drops back. The list is long of QB's that fell apart from poor line play or that had stunted growth as a result. They need one another for team success, IMHO.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
freak_of_nature


Joined: 15 Oct 2012
Posts: 498
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we do it like Chad Henne where we only had 2 or 3 receivers go out for passes while we had everyone else pass blocking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WaterBear56


Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 3155
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
Our record won't be an indication of the Oline but of Tannehill. I fundamentally believe that as long as he progresses, we will be competing for a playoff spot regardless of the Oline.


If you have read some of the reports from camp, and if you saw the broken screen play in the game you note that Tannehill is frustrated with the time he has from the poor blocking. Tannehill could have difficulty developing if he is picking his rear up off the turf every other time he drops back. The list is long of QB's that fell apart from poor line play or that had stunted growth as a result. They need one another for team success, IMHO.


The colts were sacked 51 times compared to our 36. The offensive line though important, can be worked around by a competent QB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is this weeks ever changing Depth Chart...


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sammymvpknight


Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Posts: 3399
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has Lamar Miller looked this year in comparison to Bush last season? How involved will he be in the passing game?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphinologist


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 5584
Location: New York
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/8/6/4594602/miami-dolphins-training-camp-2013-practice-12-twitter-recap

Everything you need to know about Day 12
_________________


Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadeye


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 5992
Location: A Nearby Dolphin Encounter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/8/6/4594602/miami-dolphins-training-camp-2013-practice-12-twitter-recap

Everything you need to know about Day 12


The Bad - Miller might have hurt his ankle and Tannehill threw four picks. Omar said Incognito worked hard at becoming more athletic and flexible this offseason and it's paying off.

The Good - Bumphis is building on his strong HOF game, and Will Davis had two picks. Philbin praised Shelby on being very coachable.
_________________
Earn more sessions by sleeving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again...these are practices....

I like what I am hearing about Chad Bumphis....those underdog/undrafted guy are ones I like to root for....the ones who make the most of their opportunity.

Will Davis seems like a ball hawk...

Tannehill is still a work in progress...

Sherman seems to have confidence in Martin...then again I'm not sure we should trust a guy whose job depends on him being good...

Come on Friday night....need some more game time fun
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phinsnation84


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 531
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Come on Friday night....need some more game time fun


Dude I have football for 6 and 1/2 hours everyday this week. The game Friday night will be my reward for this week Very Happy
_________________

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bpastermack


Joined: 17 Feb 2009
Posts: 13167
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phinsnation84 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Come on Friday night....need some more game time fun


Dude I have football for 6 and 1/2 hours everyday this week. The game Friday night will be my reward for this week Very Happy


I remember those days. I don't envy you.

Although I do wish I could throw on the pads one more time and relive the glory days!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phinsnation84


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 531
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Phinsnation84 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Come on Friday night....need some more game time fun


Dude I have football for 6 and 1/2 hours everyday this week. The game Friday night will be my reward for this week Very Happy


I remember those days. I don't envy you.

Although I do wish I could throw on the pads one more time and relive the glory days!!


The glory days are nice especially when it is only 70 degrees in August
_________________

Olivier Vernon
2014 Stats: 1 SACK 3 TCKLs 0 FF
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishfan4life


Joined: 15 Mar 2012
Posts: 1947
Location: santa rosa california
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching a little more tape on Bumphis and I love his ability to cut off one foot running inside the slot that is huge to being a effective slot guy. Its quick and sudden looking forward to watching him more this preseason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12819
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
WaterBear56 wrote:
Our record won't be an indication of the Oline but of Tannehill. I fundamentally believe that as long as he progresses, we will be competing for a playoff spot regardless of the Oline.


If you have read some of the reports from camp, and if you saw the broken screen play in the game you note that Tannehill is frustrated with the time he has from the poor blocking. Tannehill could have difficulty developing if he is picking his rear up off the turf every other time he drops back. The list is long of QB's that fell apart from poor line play or that had stunted growth as a result. They need one another for team success, IMHO.


The colts were sacked 51 times compared to our 36. The offensive line though important, can be worked around by a competent QB.


They also threw the ball 124 more times than we did last season. Also, Andrew Luck is more of a mobile passer than Tannehill and had some of the highest draft grades of any QB coming out of college in decades.

I don't disagree with you that a competent QB can make up for a mediocre offensive line, but a poor offensive line can absolutely hinder the development of a QB.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group