Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best defense?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Best defense? Reply with quote

Looking around the league, the Broncos look like a top-5 defense. Are they the best defense?

Broncos had the best sack count in 2012. With the addition of two big+fast DTs but the loss of Elvis, will the team improve in overall defense in 2013?

Broncos are looking improved at defensive back. Open questions are on how well the Broncos defend runs and short TE pass routes. What's the plan for MLB?

Other teams that might be best at defense are the Seahawks and 49ers. Maybe the Texans and Bengals, too.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 9ers D is good, and what's best about it imo, is the lack of additions. Its stayed the same for the most part from last year, when many of your key contributors are in their prime, I think that continuity like this is a good thing.

People love Seattle's D, and I like their secondary plenty, their line is built just like ours, big dudes all along it. I think with some of their additions this offseason they've clouded things. Too much talent is nice to have, but it also leads to guessing by the coaching staff. It becomes harder for guys to find their groove. It will be interesting to see how Carroll manages the amount of talent he has, especially along the line.

I think Denver is the 2nd best D on paper behind San Fran. We've got continuity from last year, our key players at each level will improve again this year (Harris, Moore, Von, Woody, Wolfe). I also don't think we'll miss Dumervil that much, I have no doubt that JDR will find a way to effectively use Shaun Phillips, and I don't worry about him switching from OLB to right defensive end, he knows how to get after the QB, and that wont change.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rankings like this are mostly futile, but fun. I'd rank them as follows:

49ers: No argument here.

Seahawks: On par with Denver, but more depth. Lack a true difference maker.
Broncos: Key will be RDE and S play. Have a true difference maker in 58.

Texans: W/O Cushing, they struggled. Had a bit of an overhaul this offseason, so let's wait and see.

Steelers: Aging but still solid and perhaps rejuvenated after their draft weekend.

Bengals: Atkins means to their D what Von and Watt mean to the Denver and Houston. More a good unit than one with much overall talent.

Browns: Horton will elevate a similar if not better squad to the heights of AZ last year.
Rams: Underrated D with their best pass rushing duo since Little/Wistrom. S is suspect.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Donut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:

Richard Sherman is the 2nd best CB in the league how isn't he a difference maker?

I'd say 49ers and Seattle are easily better. Pass rushing there could be very good if Bennett heals well. 3rd and long have Avril Bennett and Irvin rushing. They also have a fantastic secondary and Wagner emerged last year.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best defense? Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
Looking around the league, the Broncos look like a top-5 defense. Are they the best defense?

Yes.
elliot878 wrote:
People love Seattle's D

Oh people love Seattle's everything. The Seahawks are, BY FAR, the most over-hyped team going into the year. Imagine if they played in New York....
BroncoinGermany wrote:
Browns: Horton will elevate a similar if not better squad to the heights of AZ last year.
Rams: Underrated D with their best pass rushing duo since Little/Wistrom. S is suspect.

What? You're mentioning the Browns and the Rams in a conversation about the league's best defenses? Why not just mention Kathy Bates as one of the world's most desirable women.
Donut wrote:
I'd say 49ers and Seattle are easily better.

You also think Mac is a great coach.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Donut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Donut wrote:

Never said that he's a great coach. Said he could be a very good one but whatever those definitely the exact same things. Seattle has 2 good S, a very good slot CB. 2nd best CB in the league and Browner is a good #2 CB. Wagner had a very good rookie year and I expect him to get a lot better. At DE tons of versatility and could have a very good group of pass rushers. I don't see how thinking Seattle and 49ers having a better defense than Denver is such a ridiculous statement. They were better last year and Seattle added some nice pieces.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Donut wrote:

Never said that he's a great coach. Said he could be a very good one but whatever those definitely the exact same things. Seattle has 2 good S, a very good slot CB. 2nd best CB in the league and Browner is a good #2 CB. Wagner had a very good rookie year and I expect him to get a lot better. At DE tons of versatility and could have a very good group of pass rushers. I don't see how thinking Seattle and 49ers having a better defense than Denver is such a ridiculous statement. They were better last year and Seattle added some nice pieces.

I agree with everything you said I don't think Seattle has an overatted d. In my mind the offense is a bit overatted I love Wilson but Harvin will get injured. Lynch also might decline at some point and he really doesn't catch the ball out of the back field. I think the scariest offense this year besides us will be cincy The Te position is stacked, A.J Green is amazing, love Bernard, don't know Mich about the slot, but I think Sanu steps up as a #2 wr.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos certainly have the talent to be Top 5, and I think they will be, although I don't think they're the best. The Niners have the best IMO.

And I agree with Donut on the Rams. Its easy to dismiss them, but they have one of the best defenses hands down

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rams and Browns have young talent on all levels except safety + good coordinators in Fisher/Walton and Horton. It'd be foolish to dismiss them. In fact, let me make a bold statement by saying that one of the two will rank in the top 10 of total D this year, most likely the Rams. And even the Browns are poised to make a big jump.

Long, Quinn, Brockers, Langford and Hays
Laurinaitis, Ogletree* and Dunbar
Jenkins and Finnegan

Sheard, Taylor, Rubin and Bryant
Mingo*, Jackson and Kruger
Haden

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Richard Sherman is the 2nd best CB in the league how isn't he a difference maker?

I'd say 49ers and Seattle are easily better. Pass rushing there could be very good if Bennett heals well. 3rd and long have Avril Bennett and Irvin rushing. They also have a fantastic secondary and Wagner emerged last year.

As I was typing this, the picture of a front 7 difference maker was somehow stuck in my head; see Miller/Watt/Atkins. You are certainly right about Sherman, yet I'd say that what makes Seattle dangerous is not primarily their CBs, but Thomas and Chancellor. No way avoiding these two guys.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a valid question but I have a hard time seeing Denver as the best defense. This season we have much better depth than in the past, but still who exactly scares opposing defenses outside of Von Miller? Our other pass rushers are still nothing great. Meanwhile our secondary doesn't have a single player who is among the best at what he does. We have a giant question mark at Middle Linebacker. I think "best defense" is overselling us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: