Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wesley Woodyard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Just a gut feel but I doubt either one will be a Bronco in 2014. WW's a great guy, excellent in the community and a good OLB. Deckers got a great future and is a fine #2. Unfortunately I doubt we've got the money to spend for either, not when we've got young cheap talent waiting in the wings and some huge contracts (Von, DT) on the horizon.

Trevathan and one of our young WR's would probably save us over $10mil in cap space.

Can't pay 'em all.

I agree with you. If someone like Gerrell Robinson or Tavares King emerges this season, Deck may be expendable. I would hate to see Deck go, and I think he likes playing in Denver.

Deck's wife might also persuade him that playing in Nashville would be a lot more convenient for both of their careers.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long has it been since we had a WLB like Wood? 2003 with Ian Gold. How long has it been since we had a X WR like Decker? If I want to be cynical then look back no further than 2010 with Gaffney.

The depth at WR and the rate with which they can succeed in a Manning lead offense is much better than what we have seen at LB. Outside of Von and Wood, there's not one above-average/proven player in that position group. Trevathen looks promising, yet still I say that Woodyard should be extended first even if that means that Decker has to eventually be lead go.

Woodyard's game was all pro last season. On top of that, he has assumed the role of a former Al Wilson as the defensive leader of the Broncos. Give the man his much deserved money already. Cato June's three year, 12 million contract in 2007 would seem to be a reasonable measuring stick.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
How long has it been since we had a WLB like Wood? 2003 with Ian Gold. How long has it been since we had a X WR like Decker? If I want to be cynical then look back no further than 2010 with Gaffney.

The depth at WR and the rate with which they can succeed in a Manning lead offense is much better than what we have seen at LB. Outside of Von and Wood, there's not one above-average/proven player in that position group. Trevathen looks promising, yet still I say that Woodyard should be extended first even if that means that Decker has to eventually be lead go.

Woodyard's game was all pro last season. On top of that, he has assumed the role of a former Al Wilson as the defensive leader of the Broncos. Give the man his much deserved money already. Cato June's three year, 12 million contract in 2007 would seem to be a reasonable measuring stick.
D.J. Williams.

Woodyard is a great player, but he's always been overrated by this fan base, yes he has produced on ST and on D here for us, but WLB is not a position that requires an elite player in order for there to be production.

People continually overlook Decker because he's had some silly drops or falls. Yes those need to improve, but the man had 13 TDs last season, yet people are ready to let him go over a position like WLB?

Let me ask you this what would be a bigger help to a first time starter in Osweiler? Decker or Woodyard.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Let me ask you this what would be a bigger help to a first time starter in Osweiler? Decker or Woodyard.

Fair enough. I give you that. But then the question shifts from whether one should or should not resign Decker over Woodyard to whether one could resign both, Decker and DT? And in that case - assuming that Denver would have a hard time paying both - it would be wiser to let Decker (and Woodyard, as AKRNA alluded to before) go and make sure DT does not leave this town as the Deckers, Garçons and Collies of the world can be found easier than 6-4, 230 pound Zs.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Fair enough. I give you that. But then the question shifts from whether one should or should not resign Decker over Woodyard to whether one could resign both, Decker and DT? And in that case - assuming that Denver would have a hard time paying both - it would be wiser to let Decker (and Woodyard, as AKRNA alluded to before) go and make sure DT does not leave this town as the Deckers, Garçons and Collies of the world can be found easier than 6-4, 230 pound Zs.

To the same point its a lot easier to find a WLB in the draft than it is to find a #2 receiver as good as Decker. Trevathan also looks pretty good after one year, the replacement could already be on the roster, whereas we don't know what we have in King yet as a potential replacement for Decker.

If King looks like he could be the real deal and fill Decker's shoes, then yea, I believe both could be on their way out.

Also to note about Decker's wife - Nashville, NY or LA would all benefit her career, but she is from Colorado.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think these conversations are going to be getting quite a bit more frequent. It comes with the territory IE: success and good drafts.

Re-signing our game changers has to take precedence, guys like Von and DT. Realistically it'll take around $16mil+- to sign Von and $12mil +- to sign DT. Add in Clady, Manning and Vasquez and you're looking at about half your salary cap on 5 players. Ouch!

Somehow you've got to get the other 48 signed for the same amount. It leaves some room for some $3-5 mil contracts, but over the 5 level I'd think would get pretty iffy, especially if you're talking about a number 2 WR.

It'll be interesting to see how Elway and Sullivan deal with it.

Last edited by AKRNA on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think WW will be one of the hardest players a Bronco FO has ever had to let leave, but I think ultimately he will leave. Trevathan is already a LB in our Nickel packages, and there isn't anywhere near a big enough dropoff from WW to him to consider giving WW the salary he will get elsewhere.

It's a real shame, because WW is a pro in every sense of the word.

MUFC OK
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know how I feel about Eric Decker.

I mean he's a solid player and all but I get the impression that loyalty means nothing to him. He seems to be something of a self-aggrandizer, like LeBron but without the elite talent, He will go where a) he gets paid the most, b) they treat him like a celebrity and c) his wife can do whatever it is she does.

I say we offer him $5m/year for 3 years, take it or leave it. He don't like it, too bad.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I mean he's a solid player and all but I get the impression that loyalty means nothing to him. He seems to be something of a self-aggrandizer, like LeBron but without the elite talent, He will go where a) he gets paid the most, b) they treat him like a celebrity and c) his wife can do whatever it is she does.

I say we offer him $5m/year for 3 years, take it or leave it. He don't like it, too bad.

Don't let his masculine jawline cloud your judgement.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Good thing you don't run the franchise.

I think Decker's getting a bad wrap around here because of the reality show. The self aggrandizing comment makes no sense to me. He fell in love with a singer, can you hold it that much against him? He's said all the right things throughout, and was sure to ask Elway before signing off on it. Also from what I've read it's not a Kardashian situation where a camera being around is now their life for years. The show just follows celebrities and athletes who are getting married for a few months up until their wedding, pretty sure its done after the wedding. The filming happened during the dead months of the NFL season, and wont continue into training camp or the regular season from my understanding of the shows concept.

His teammates clearly like him, he's offered elite (yes elite) red zone production from year two forward. Did he produce with Tebow? No, but can you blame him? With a traditional passer (Orton, Manning) he's got 19 touchdowns in 22 regular season games. Overrated? If you're thinking that, you're not looking at him in the proper context (throw out Tebow starts). He'll be a top 20 receiver year in and year out so long as he has a QB who knows how to throw a ball, and work in an NFL offense.

I'll admit there's a good chance we can't afford him, but thats a guy we will absolutely miss, especially with DT's injury history.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker has done nothing to even insinuate he isn't fully committed to Football. He is always in great shape and his teammates love him.

If you want to question giving big money to a WR who will be our #2, that is fair enough. But you cannot question the guy's dedication, attitude and work ethic.

MUFC OK
mke1010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker gets the benefit of doubt and nothing suggests that he hasn't been a consummate pro. Having said that, this reality tv show thing rubs me the wrong way.
Sorry I can't take anyone seriously that thinks it's ok to put their private life on TV. In my mind, it brings to question a lot of issues judgment/character issues.
My advise, if your wife can't get far in show business without a reality show, she didn't have much talent to begin with.

How many of these reality shows end well? How many contribute anything positive to society? I just think such vanity and self indulgence reflects poorly. I am sure many disagree but that's my humble opinion. The show is definitely something I view as a strike against Decker. Would I want him off the team as a result- of course not. But I think anyone who thinks such a show does not have the ability to be a distraction and detrimental to Decker is not being prudent.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Decker gets the benefit of doubt and nothing suggests that he hasn't been a consummate pro. Having said that, this reality tv show thing rubs me the wrong way.
Sorry I can't take anyone seriously that thinks it's ok to put their private life on TV. In my mind, it brings to question a lot of issues judgment/character issues.
My advise, if your wife can't get far in show business without a reality show, she didn't have much talent to begin with.

How many of these reality shows end well? How many contribute anything positive to society? I just think such vanity and self indulgence reflects poorly. I am sure many disagree but that's my humble opinion. The show is definitely something I view as a strike against Decker. Would I want him off the team as a result- of course not. But I think anyone who thinks such a show does not have the ability to be a distraction and detrimental to Decker is not being prudent.

Thank you.

Look, no here knows better than I do how popular Decker is with his teammates. That's not the problem, the reality show is. Is he not famous enough? He needs to get a show on E! of all places? It's awfully vapid fare too, if you haven't seen it just watch 5 minutes of it and it'll turn your stomach. Like mke1010 says, if you need a reality show you probably don't have much talent to being with.

broncosfan07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares it's the offseason he can do what he want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
Who cares it's the offseason he can do what he want.

No. Like mke1010 said, having a reality show portends bad judgement, vanity and self-absorbstion.

Tell Von he can do whatever he wants in the offseason, look where that's gotten us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: