Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Wesley Woodyard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Wesley Woodyard Reply with quote

Wesley Woodyard is seeking a new contract before the beginning of the season. I believe he is in the last year of his present contract at 3.5 million. He is an unrestricted free agent after the season when there will be opening bidding for his services.

My query is do we try to get him done or do we let him play out the season? No doubt, he will be looking for an annual salary of at least 6 million a year for 4-5 years. Is Woodyard a priority or is this someone we replace in house based on all our other players who will likely make max money?

http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspecial/ci_23693354/wesley-woodyard-seeking-new-contract-denver-broncos
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can say on his leadership and all around contributing he deserves a new contract, I'd see what he wants now because if he as another good season we won't be able to keep him around with DT and Decker needing contracts soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is possible to get one done now I would say try and get it done. We are pretty well under the cap right now and we still have to sign Sylvester, but if he has a pro bowl year, he could be more expensive. Conversely, the cap goes up next year and we will be rid of some heavy cap hits as I see Kuper, Moreno, and maybe Ayers all being gone. He isn't a priority like Von, and Thomas, but I would value him over Decker.
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Salvas wrote:
If it is possible to get one done now I would say try and get it done. We are pretty well under the cap right now and we still have to sign Sylvester, but if he has a pro bowl year, he could be more expensive. Conversely, the cap goes up next year and we will be rid of some heavy cap hits as I see Kuper, Moreno, and maybe Ayers all being gone. He isn't a priority like Von, and Thomas, but I would value him over Decker.

Wow really? That's a hard one for me to figure out. I guess I lean toward finding a good receiver is harder than finding a good linebacker.
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Darth Salvas wrote:

Wow really? That's a hard one for me to figure out. I guess I lean toward finding a good receiver is harder than finding a good linebacker.

Even though Decker is overrated IMO I value him more than Woodyard due to the depth at their positions, I feel like we have several LB's that could step in and not be a huge drop off in talent from Woodyard, but who would fill in for Decker right now?

jonnyj20 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Really doubt Alex Smith would get KC to 2nd place.

Alex Smith + Andy Reid + better health = KC 2nd in our division.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woody is far more important to the team than Decker. Mays and Stewart are garbage and Irving, Johnson and Trevathan are unproven. Whereas a combination of DT, Wes, Dreessen and either Thomas/Green and/or Caldwell/King could overcome the loss of Decker in the receiving game, one of the most underrated WLB of last season and central leader of our D cannot be replaced that easily.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
by Joe_is_the_best
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Woody is far more important to the team than Decker. Mays and Stewart are garbage and Irving, Johnson and Trevathan are unproven. Whereas a combination of DT, Wes, Dreessen and either Thomas/Green and/or Caldwell/King could overcome the loss of Decker in the receiving game, one of the most underrated WLB of last season and central leader of our D cannot be replaced that easily.

I thought both Johnson and Trevathan played very well in their limited time. Didn't see a huge dropoff between Woody and them. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a loss, it would be. But Caldwell to replace Decker? Yuck.

jonnyj20 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
Really doubt Alex Smith would get KC to 2nd place.

Alex Smith + Andy Reid + better health = KC 2nd in our division.
ToastedOats

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is arguing about the more important position Weak Linebacker or WR? Hmmmmm.......I love Woodard, but Decker and WR's get paid a lot more for a reason...
mke1010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToastedOats wrote:
Everyone is arguing about the more important position Weak Linebacker or WR? Hmmmmm.......I love Woodard, but Decker and WR's get paid a lot more for a reason...

That's my sentiment also.
Anyways, I like Woodyard and would like to see him here long term. But if I had to pick between Decker and Woodyard, I'd have to go with Decker in a difficult decision.

From all I have heard about Trevathon, he has the work ethic, humility and desire that seemed to help make Woodyard the player he is today. Not saying Danny would step in right away and do what Wesley does but I see no reason why in a couple years Trevathon could not be a similar story to Woodyard.

P.S- Whoever called Bradley Stewart trash obviously has never heard of bounce back seasons. Bradley is still relatively young and was a very good linebacker in Philly. Denver is taking a gamble that his play fell off in Arizona due to the system he was in. I think both Cromartie and Stewart fit in a similar category in that both have produced at a high level before falling off.
I don't think that makes them trash.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as one who values Woody over Decker prior to even taking into account contract size.

When you think about the deals they will get, it makes far more sense to lock up Woody than Decker. We cant afford to pay our #2 WR 8+ million a year and thats what Eric will command. Hopefully we can tender him and get a 2nd rounder, then target a WR early in 2014. It sucks, but its reality.
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Darth Salvas wrote:

I think good may be an understatement. Is he going to the HOF? doubtful, but he is a three down backer that can cover tight ends and running backs as well as rush the passer and play the run. He is as complete as it gets. In today's NFL, that is as much of a must-have as a pass rusher and a solid left tackle, which we have both of. Finding that is much harder than finding a number two receiver.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the Broncos may wait to see what Travathan will do this year, before figuring out what to do with Woody? I am sure Elway and Co. already thought of this.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker is a red zone monster when Tim Tebow is not his quarterback. How is this even up for discussion? Decker's averaged almost a touchdown per game in his career when Tebow was not throwing him the ball. He's one of the leagues best #2 WR's.

Trevathan has been compared to Woodyard his entire post high school career. He models his game after Woodyard, he went to the same school, he has taken the same route to playing time that Woodyard did. Simply put, he is the heir to that spot. I don't see the front office investing close to $25m a year (assuming Von gets around 18 a year) long term on the two starting outside linebacker positions.

I love Woodyard in every way a fan can love a player, and I hope he gets paid what he deserves, but I don't think it will be here, not with Trev behind him, Von on the other side set for a league leading contract, and the transition for rookies to weakside linebacker not being one of the hardest in the league.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any way that it's possible for them to re-do his deal without playing out this year. Don't we have like $5m in cap space? It's just not happening, nor should it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a gut feel but I doubt either one will be a Bronco in 2014. WW's a great guy, excellent in the community and a good OLB. Deckers got a great future and is a fine #2. Unfortunately I doubt we've got the money to spend for either, not when we've got young cheap talent waiting in the wings and some huge contracts (Von, DT) on the horizon.

Trevathan and one of our young WR's would probably save us over $10mil in cap space.

Can't pay 'em all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: