Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

TRaining Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:

He was a number 1 overall pick man, he has talent. While I agree you can't pick and choose what stats etc. make your point stronger while ignoring other things, it's hard to ignore that he's gotten considerable better under "better" coaching.

In terms of our homerism, heaven forbid the fans be excited, hopeful and try and find the positives, after what could very easily have been the worst season in our franchise's history.

I don't think we were/are a superbowl team. Not last year, not this year. I do however thing that we were a much better team than we were coached into being last year, and I feel like our team is improved. I think we should be better and could shock some people by making it into the playoffs. And honestly once you're in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen.

Love the KC fans that are giving him a chance. I don't feel I am wrong in thinking that if you really want to know what kind of QB you are getting? Then forget the career stats... they no longer matter at all. As marnz points out on the previous page, the efficiency and improved play from Alex over the last few years should have Chiefs fans smiling. The overall sentiment that he isn't an explosive, dynamic QB is fair... for now... but with Reid as the HC? Maybe now we see if he can go from being an above average, efficient yet safe QB that can get you deep into the playoffs... to a more aggressive QB that can put the team on his back.. Jeebus forbid he has to do so often.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't see why career stats are a big deal. The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baldwin, Avery, whatever... really just hoping that another WR can step up and be a real threat on the other side of Bowe.

Quote:
The attention to detail by coach Reid is paying off, as shown by new Chiefs WR Donnie Avery, who pulled in an Alex Smith pass for a TD in the back left corner of the end zone, one of the day's best grabs. "It was a pretty ball," Avery said. "Glad we have a great QB like that. Itís great being here, building chemistry with Alex, before the vets come in. Iím getting some extra reps and thatís a good thing."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/The-Andy-Reid-Influence-at-Chiefs-Camp/d9e5cb46-2bab-42d5-995f-d19c4a7a0d58

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Baldwin, Avery, whatever... really just hoping that another WR can step up and be a real threat on the other side of Bowe.

Quote:
The attention to detail by coach Reid is paying off, as shown by new Chiefs WR Donnie Avery, who pulled in an Alex Smith pass for a TD in the back left corner of the end zone, one of the day's best grabs. "It was a pretty ball," Avery said. "Glad we have a great QB like that. Itís great being here, building chemistry with Alex, before the vets come in. Iím getting some extra reps and thatís a good thing."

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/The-Andy-Reid-Influence-at-Chiefs-Camp/d9e5cb46-2bab-42d5-995f-d19c4a7a0d58

Personally, I couldn't really care about stands out in practice. Matt Cassel looked great in practice and Jon Baldwin looked amazing last year in practice. I Just want to see it all on the field on game day.
5 punt returns - 85 yards - 0 TD
oldman9er

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiccupGuy wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

Personally, I couldn't really care about stands out in practice. Matt Cassel looked great in practice and Jon Baldwin looked amazing last year in practice. I Just want to see it all on the field on game day.

I get what you are saying, as practice is obviously not a clear indication of the games that count. Still though, would you prefer reading that everyone is sucking in practice? Or would you rather the team show some strength and cohesion early on?

Me? I like when they practice sharp and show us some positive growth in practice and PS games.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will be pleasantly surprised at Alex's mobility. He can get you a first down with his legs and make the D respect him....if they don't, he has the sneaky speed to make 'em pay....occasionally. He CAN get the ball down field when asked to do so....again, not asked to do much of that in SF, but don't be surprised when it happens. Plus, he has apparently taken ownership of the offense ...something none of the last four QB's in KC have chosen to do.

Homerism???....nah, perhaps.... but I prefer to call it cautious optimism. Can't help it...my Chiefs glass is ALWAYS half full. Sometimes to a fatal flaw.
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Quote:
Now weíre poised to see mediocre Alex Smith elevated to superstardom under the expert tutelage of QB miracle worker Andy Reid. Why? ďWell, because Alex floundered due to the poor coaching heís received.Ē It couldnít possibly have anything to do with the fact he is a marginal talent.

He was a number 1 overall pick man, he has talent. While I agree you can't pick and choose what stats etc. make your point stronger while ignoring other things, it's hard to ignore that he's gotten considerable better under "better" coaching.

In terms of our homerism, heaven forbid the fans be excited, hopeful and try and find the positives, after what could very easily have been the worst season in our franchise's history.

I don't think we were/are a superbowl team. Not last year, not this year. I do however thing that we were a much better team than we were coached into being last year, and I feel like our team is improved. I think we should be better and could shock some people by making it into the playoffs. And honestly once you're in the playoffs ANYTHING can happen.

Ryan Leaf was a #2 pick. Smith was a #1 pick in what was considered a bad draft. Is it so difficult to accept he is an average QB and that is not that bad, considering we haven't had close to that. Average means as good as or better than most. Alex Smith is average. He's not likely to have a Jim Plunkett/Rich Gannon epiphany in the second half of his career no matter who is the coach.

I donít mind optimism. I do mind delusion. For example, those who think Tony Moeaki or Kendrell Lewis are average players. They arenít. Those who expect us to beat Denver in the West. We wonít. Those who just assume weíll make the playoffs. We might, maybe. Probably not, but maybe.

So, believe it or not, I am optimistic too. Weíve seen some terrible football for several years. Those days should be over. This team should be improved, significantly. If this comes to fruition, it wonít be because Alex Smith sets NFL records for passing. Thatís all. Alex will be okay, so long as Andy Reid doesnít try to make him into something he isnít, which is in doubt.

The good news is the speculation will soon be over.
starbarkc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
HiccupGuy wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

I get what you are saying, as practice is obviously not a clear indication of the games that count. Still though, would you prefer reading that everyone is sucking in practice? Or would you rather the team show some strength and cohesion early on?

Me? I like when they practice sharp and show us some positive growth in practice and PS games.

I get it as well, but when was the last time anybody said that a Matt Cassel ball was "beautiful"? I think the energy of the coaching staff and Reid's reinvigorated personality will shine at TC. There is a craft to this and Avery's remark shows an appreciation for that.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it wasn't a great class. But the talent was there enough for him go get drafted ahead of a guy who could set/break a lot of records. And Leaf was a big talented guy too...just had a three cent brain.

I agree with you, Smith isn't an outstanding QB, nor do I expect him to lead the league in yards or TDs. I think he'll be up there in efficiency, which is something we haven't had in a long time. He won't turn the ball over a lot, again, not something we're used to.

And most importantly to me, if we need him to pull the team back from behind, I actually believe he is capable of it. I think he's a least average, and has been improving, which is all you can really ask.

I for one am excited to not be trying to decide who is going to pick it off every time he drops back.
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently alex started warmups and threw a bit behind his wrs

But on first official training camp plaay he threw a deep td to dmc
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the offense is destroying the d In the first 15 min should we be concerned or excited?
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex hasnt had an incomplete pass yet

Also should be noted bowe not practicong he was with the medical staff
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex hasnt had an incomplete pass yet

Also should be noted bowe not practicong he was with the medical staff
marnz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of screen passes being runned
Mongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
Right, it wasn't a great class. But the talent was there enough for him go get drafted ahead of a guy who could set/break a lot of records. And Leaf was a big talented guy too...just had a three cent brain.

I agree with you, Smith isn't an outstanding QB, nor do I expect him to lead the league in yards or TDs. I think he'll be up there in efficiency, which is something we haven't had in a long time. He won't turn the ball over a lot, again, not something we're used to.

And most importantly to me, if we need him to pull the team back from behind, I actually believe he is capable of it. I think he's a least average, and has been improving, which is all you can really ask.

I for one am excited to not be trying to decide who is going to pick it off every time he drops back.

Amen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: