Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The 2014 Extension Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: The 2014 Extension Discussion Reply with quote

The Bears have 82 million spent on the 2014 Salary Cap leaving them with no increase about 40 million to play with.

Cuts and Non Re-signings [11 savings]

DE Julius Peppers [11 savings]

It is painful to lose such a great player, but 17 million is going to be needed to accomidate the new money and the escalation in existing contracts. Emery has done a nice job off adding young players that can be developed.

CB Charles Tillman

Probably the mosty painful departure of all of them but the transition on defense is happening and we cannot afford to commit another 7-8 million dollars to Tillman over 4-5 years. Emery has shown that he will not be nostalgic and we cann afford to re-sign 2-3 young players like Wootton and Wright for what Tillman makes.

KR Devin Hester

This is like getting free money back.

C Roberto Garza

Another player not earning his check and when the money comes off the books it will help to re-sign the bottom of the roster depth guys.

Re-signings [37 million spent before free agency and the draft]

QB Jay Cutler 6 years 102 million/55 guaranteed [Playoffs]

Year 1: 5 million salary/10 million guaranteed [15]
Year 2: 5 million salary/10 million guaranteed [15]
Year 3: 8 million salary/ 13 million guaranteed [21]
Year 4: 10 million salary/10 million guaranteed [20]
Year 5: 7 million salary/ 10 million guaranteed [17]
Year 6: 12 million salary/2 million guaranteed [14] Cut or Extend

*This deal is contingent upon 4 factors

1. Playoff Appearance
2. Statistical Improvements
3. Getting along with Trestman
4. Pro Bowl Appearance

This deal is based on Tony Romo's deal and average 1 million less a season. While Jay and Tony have had similar playoff and big game bad moments Tony has more stats, pro bowls and accomplishments to bring up in a negotiation this deal also has a similar average to the one signed by Matt Stafford. I think Cutler will take a very small home town discount.

S Major Wright 4 years 22 million/8 guaranteed [Week 12-14 if healthy]

Year 1: 1 million salary/2 million guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 3 million salary/ 2 million guaranteed [5]
Year 3: 4 million salary/2 million guaranteed [6]
Year 4: 6 million salary/2 million guaranteed [8] Cut or Renogiated

He has really become a young building block for the Bears appearing on multiple mid season All-Pro and Pro Bowl lists last season. I am offering him a contract similar to the one that Morgan Burnett just signed with the Packers.

DE Cory Wootton 5 years 27.5 million/10 guaranteed [Week 12-14 if healthy]

Year 2: 3 million salary/ 3 million guaranteed [6]
Year 3: 4 million salary/3 million guaranteed [7]
Year 4: 5 million salary/ 1 million guaranteed [6]
Year 5: 4.5 million salary/ 1 million guaranteed [5.5]

This deal is based on a similar average salary to the contract that was given to Carlos Dunlap [6.3 million-5.5 million] Wootton has not produced as much as Dunlap, but both have similar potential that they are now realizing.

CB Tim Jennings 3 years 13 million/6 guaranteed [Offseason]

Year 1: 2 million salary/2 million guaranteed [4]
Year 2: 2 million salary/2 million guaranteed [4]
Year 3: 3 million salary/2 million guaranteed [5]

The Bears cannot allow Tillman and Jennings to walk and they need a veteran to stabilize as younger players are given an oppurtunity. This deal gives Jennings 3 more years at a similar pay scale to the one that he is on right now.

OT J'Marcus Webb 4 years 15 million/6 guaranteed [Offseason]

Year 1: 2 million guaranteed [2]
Year 2: 1 million salary/ 2 million guaranteed [3]
Year 3: 2 million salary/2 million guaranteed [4]
Year 4: 6 million salary [6] Cut or Renogiated

Webb is a solid unspectacular player at OT, but he has developed to the point where he is a nice cheap option and should be retained for continuity.

DT Henry Melton [Franchise Tag]

1 Year: 10.2 million

I would use the franchise tag again on Melton and try and work something out it will allow the Bears not to have to negotiate with Melton, who outside of Cutler is the big fish, while young players like Wright and Wootton can slip through the cracks.

Salary Cap Space 2014: 40 million
Releases: 11 million
Extensions: 37 million

Depth/Free Agent/Draft Budget: 14 million
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see us moving on from Peppers and Tillman.
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hart would break if Tillman didn't retire a Bear. I would rather rework his contract and let Jennings walk. Unless Jennings played lights out again I could see an argument to keeping him.

That ball punch is so amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo letting Tillman walk to keep Jennings would be a big mistake.

#1 You aren't getting Jennings back for 4.5 mill/year if he has another good season, not even close.

#2 Tillman has been much better than jennings for a MUCH longer time.

#3 Over 30 Tillman projects much better than over 30 Jennings. Tillman is 3 years older, but he just made back-to-back pro bowls over 30, and him being a bigger more physical CB helps him. Not to mention due to his superior tackling and instincts (along with leadership) he could be bumped to FS and be a top NFL FS into his mid-to-late 30's (think Charles Woodson).

Jennings on the other hand already lives life on the athletic breaking point, as a slow 5'8" WR. He loses a step or two (which he will) and its game over.

Even if Tillman costs $1-$2 mill a year more than Jennings, he's well worth it on a 3 or 4 year deal. You late Jennings walk 100x before you let Peanut walk.

====

Honestly this will all be a moot point if the Bears do poorly next season as this team gets blown up (which would be a shame). I'm very excited to see next season and who of the young players step up will have a profound effect on who our priorities will be.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiSeIVIaN wrote:
Imo letting Tillman walk to keep Jennings would be a big mistake.

#1 You aren't getting Jennings back for 4.5 mill/year if he has another good season, not even close.

#2 Tillman has been much better than jennings for a MUCH longer time.

#3 Over 30 Tillman projects much better than over 30 Jennings. Tillman is 3 years older, but he just made back-to-back pro bowls over 30, and him being a bigger more physical CB helps him. Not to mention due to his superior tackling and instincts (along with leadership) he could be bumped to FS and be a top NFL FS into his mid-to-late 30's (think Charles Woodson).

Jennings on the other hand already lives life on the athletic breaking point, as a slow 5'8" WR. He loses a step or two (which he will) and its game over.

Even if Tillman costs $1-$2 mill a year more than Jennings, he's well worth it on a 3 or 4 year deal. You late Jennings walk 100x before you let Peanut walk.

====

Honestly this will all be a moot point if the Bears do poorly next season as this team gets blown up (which would be a shame). I'm very excited to see next season and who of the young players step up will have a profound effect on who our priorities will be.
You dont pay for past performance. Tillman is getting long in the tooth. Cant be emotional about it.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The 2014 Extension Discussion Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
DE Cory Wootton 5 years 27.5 million/10 guaranteed [Week 12-14 if healthy]

Year 2: 3 million salary/ 3 million guaranteed [6]
Year 3: 4 million salary/3 million guaranteed [7]
Year 4: 5 million salary/ 1 million guaranteed [6]
Year 5: 4.5 million salary/ 1 million guaranteed [5.5]

This deal is based on a similar average salary to the contract that was given to Carlos Dunlap [6.3 million-5.5 million] Wootton has not produced as much as Dunlap, but both have similar potential that they are now realizing.

Dunlap got 6 years and $40M - if Wootton has another season of 8+ sacks I think you'd have a real tough time giving him less than Dunlap that late in the season. Dunlap's deal was done with a full season left. You're projecting doing Corey's just a few games before UFA. Especially with Jay and Melton also being pending UFA probably looking at big cash the team loses more leverage with Wootton every week we progress in the season.

We're talking $6M or so a season already right now assuming he matches last year. If he puts up a dozen sacks this year he will command twice that in UFA. If they're looking to use Dunlap's deal as frame work they probably need to do that now IMO.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ak06max

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with everything minus the Melton tag. If we cant get a deal done he has to walk. Thats a huge chunk to let Peppers walk for 11 but keep Melton for almost the same doesnt make sense. Unless he has a superior I mean 13 sack season and cant be stopped I would say thats way to much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
You dont pay for past performance. Tillman is getting long in the tooth. Cant be emotional about it.

Did you even read my post? What on earth makes you think Jennings will be better in the next 4 years than Tillman? Jennings had 1 good season and Tillman was still better than him last year, with Tillman projecting MUCH better, given his size and skillset, for the next few years.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
Agree with everything minus the Melton tag. If we cant get a deal done he has to walk. Thats a huge chunk to let Peppers walk for 11 but keep Melton for almost the same doesnt make sense. Unless he has a superior I mean 13 sack season and cant be stopped I would say thats way to much.

Melton is 26 and trending strongly upward. Peppers is 33 and every star season he has left should be seen as a bonus. Apples and oranges.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
ConVict90

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard imaging the Bears letting both Peppers and Tillman let go especially after letting a veteran like Urlacher go. Depleting our captains for younger guys is not the way to go.
TD: 7
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiSeIVIaN wrote:
DaMike wrote:

Did you even read my post? What on earth makes you think Jennings will be better in the next 4 years than Tillman? Jennings had 1 good season and Tillman was still better than him last year, with Tillman projecting MUCH better, given his size and skillset, for the next few years.
Age makes me believe that. Jennings has speed to lose. Tillman doesnt. Age matters. It's a hard decision but it might be the right move.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
ak06max wrote:

Melton is 26 and trending strongly upward. Peppers is 33 and every star season he has left should be seen as a bonus. Apples and oranges.
Not to mention Melton is the best player on our defensive line at this point and is one of the 3 best at his position in the entire NFL, and just might be the best in the conference. And while perception is that Melton is a pass rush machine (which he is) he also is a DOMINANT run defender, maybe the best run defender of all the top DTs.

Also Melton in 4 years in the league, redshirted his rookie year, played very well in a rotational role as a second year player, and has been the best pass rushing DT in the conference for his 3rd and 4th year, why on earth would you let that walk? Especially in our defense?

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
thebeast15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ak06max wrote:

Not to mention Melton is the best player on our defensive line at this point and is one of the 3 best at his position in the entire NFL, and just might be the best in the conference. And while perception is that Melton is a pass rush machine (which he is) he also is a DOMINANT run defender, maybe the best run defender of all the top DTs.

Also Melton in 4 years in the league, redshirted his rookie year, played very well in a rotational role as a second year player, and has been the best pass rushing DT in the conference for his 3rd and 4th year, why on earth would you let that walk? Especially in our defense?

This. Given a choice of keeping one or the other, I am taking Melton at this point every day of the week and twice of sunday. Letting peppers go saves us tons of money, and doesn't really hurt us much if we get what we think Wootton can give us this year.
ak06max

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ak06max wrote:

Im just saying the tag price is atrocious 10.3. Thats a ton of cap to give up for 1 year. Minus Peppers its a even swap. Has anyone ever thought that Peppers is making his job a bit easier? When you have a dynamic threat at your DE position you really think Wooten or Shea or going to require the same. I want to see what Peppers brings this year old or not he is a freak of nature before I give Melton that tag!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ak06max wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
ak06max wrote:

Im just saying the tag price is atrocious 10.3. Thats a ton of cap to give up for 1 year. Minus Peppers its a even swap. Has anyone ever thought that Peppers is making his job a bit easier? When you have a dynamic threat at your DE position you really think Wooten or Shea or going to require the same. I want to see what Peppers brings this year old or not he is a th freak of nature before I give Melton that tag!
first-cutting pep saves $17m, thats not an even swap. Second, the big problem w/ your theory is that its melton making things easier on pep at this point. Meltin sees far more doubles than pep, and melton being there means QBs cant just step up to avoid pep or wootton. Finally yes pep is an athletic freak, so is melton.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: