Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans announce 2013 home game themes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Texans announce 2013 home game themes Reply with quote

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-announce-2013-home-game-themes/00f2f49a-3a9d-40b0-92dc-ffb9467fb900

Preseason

Sat., Aug. 17 Miami Dolphins 7 p.m. Texans Care
Sun., Aug. 25 New Orleans Saints 3:00 p.m. State of Football presented by Verizon

Regular season

Sun., Sept. 15 Tennessee Titans Noon Liberty White Out presented by BHP Billiton
Sun., Sept. 29 Seattle Seahawks Noon Hispanic Heritage Day presented by XFINITY
Sun., Oct. 13 St. Louis Rams Noon Pink Ribbon Day presented by Kroger
Sun., Nov. 3 Indianapolis Colts 7:30 p.m. Battle Red Day presented by Halliburton
Sun., Nov. 17 Oakland Raiders Noon Salute to Service presented by Bud Light
Sun., Nov. 24 Jacksonville Jaguars Noon Deep Steel Sunday presented by Hyundai
Sun., Dec. 1 New England Patriots 3:25 p.m. Homecoming
Sun., Dec. 22 Denver Broncos Noon Fan Appreciation Day presented by FS Southwest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine BHP Billiton or Halliburton will get any use out of sponsoring a game.

Sig by matthouston91
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homecoming?

I like the Battle Red in Primetime though.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
texans_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
I can't imagine BHP Billiton or Halliburton will get any use out of sponsoring a game.

We do a lot of business with Halliburton.

Might need to get on the phone...

EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:

Both are heavily involved in the Oil/Gas industry, and Houston is the unofficial energy capital of the US. Makes perfect sense - I'd actually be surprised if these sort of companies DIDN'T have some corporate sponsorship.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Homecoming?

I like the Battle Red in Primetime though.

Only if we dont wear those stupid red on red jerseys. Red and white is just fine. Laughing

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Homecoming?

What is it about playing the Pats and acting like we're high schoolers? Last year were those cursed Letter jackets, this year it's homecoming? What, the eventual playoff game going to be Sadie Hawkins, or Prom night?

Gimmie a break...

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Both are heavily involved in the Oil/Gas industry, and Houston is the unofficial energy capital of the US. Makes perfect sense - I'd actually be surprised if these sort of companies DIDN'T have some corporate sponsorship.

Sponsorships of this sort are aimed more at consumers on the individual level, though, and BHP and Halliburton don't deal with individual consumers at all. This kind of sponsorship isn't going to give them any more exposure to oil companies than they already have. I could see it being beneficial if they got special perks to show off to their business partner's executive, but I don't see any advantage to it that they couldn't get from buying a hefty number of VIP suites.

Sig by matthouston91
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
Homecoming?

What is it about playing the Pats and acting like we're high schoolers? Last year were those cursed Letter jackets, this year it's homecoming? What, the eventual playoff game going to be Sadie Hawkins, or Prom night?

Gimmie a break...

My thoughts exactly!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Sponsorships of this sort are aimed more at consumers on the individual level, though, and BHP and Halliburton don't deal with individual consumers at all.

To be truthfully honest - most of these sponsorships are for the tax writeoffs. These companies have primary presence in Houston, and any sort of funding to such an event could quickly qualify for a hefty tax write off. The majority of fans in the stadium that day are Houstonians, so it's an easy sell to the IRS - you're giving back to the community that you reside in by providing additional goods and services to the fans of the local sports team.

I'm sure Apollo has a lengthy writeup that can speak to what I'm getting at. None of these "sponsors" care about selling their product to a new target audience. There's big money behind having your name tied to an NFL game, and very little of said money comes from new customers.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Sponsorships of this sort are aimed more at consumers on the individual level, though, and BHP and Halliburton don't deal with individual consumers at all.

To be truthfully honest - most of these sponsorships are for the tax writeoffs. These companies have primary presence in Houston, and any sort of funding to such an event could quickly qualify for a hefty tax write off. The majority of fans in the stadium that day are Houstonians, so it's an easy sell to the IRS - you're giving back to the community that you reside in by providing additional goods and services to the fans of the local sports team.

I'm sure Apollo has a lengthy writeup that can speak to what I'm getting at. None of these "sponsors" care about selling their product to a new target audience. There's big money behind having your name tied to an NFL game, and very little of said money comes from new customers.

Its great advertisement, and like you said they have to spend this money to have tax write offs, but i suspect they will profit more from it in the long run

i wish the Chiefs would get good so they can host a Monday or Thursday night game against the Texans, i would totally be there!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Grasspike wrote:

Good to see you settling into the new gig and back in here more, ET.

The days of using sporting event sponsorships / luxury boxes, etc as write offs are long gone at least with openly professional sports (still some creative ways to do college sports, Olympics, etc). I'm afraid enough of Halliburton's ability to harness the power of the dark side (I'm sure they have the schematics to eventually build the death star) to not comment directly about their sponsorship motivation so I'll keep it generic.

First off, the Texans are here because of the Energy Business. Remember where the $700 million to secure the Houston Texans franchise came from. McNair's fortune was built from selling 3 power plants (Cogen) to Enron for $1.4 billion. He still owns 2 power plants in New Jersey. What Houston based company builds and services power plants? 70% of Texans $ came from Bob, with Chuck Watson as the second largest investor. Chuck's $ is from Dynegy, which runs natural gas power plants. What Houston company provides parts and services the natural gas exploration industry & the plants? Texans would like you to forget that Ken Lay was an original partner. Egyptian Billionaire Fayez Sarofim is also a partner and is the 2nd largest shareholder of Kinder Morgan who builds and owns pipelines throughout the world. What Houston company sells and services pipeline companies? Let's not forget that $300 million naming rights deal for Reliant Energy aka NRG Energy. They have a mere 100 power plants serviced by....

Battle Red Day is not a random sponsorship. Halliburton also sponsors the Battle Red events throughout town (Battle Red Run, etc) which serves as a fundraiser for the Debakey Heart Center, which is part of the Baylor College of Medicine at the Baylor Clinic at the Med Center. What team owner has been on the Baylor College of Medicine Board for 20 years? There's your "charity" connection, but I suspect that's more of a dual-back scratching arrangement than tax benefit.

Aside from all the insider connections with McNair and the genesis of the franchise, there are still plenty of reasons for a company like Halliburton to continue to advertise as a means to generate goodwill, repair its image and be perceived as a company that "gives back" to it's community. You've been hearing all the BP "gulf coast" ads since the Deepwater Horizon spill and don't forget Halliburton built the thing and it's faulty cement was deemed a primary factor.

Finally, don't forget that while Halliburton got all those no bid government contracts when KBR was under their wing, they are in a highly competitive space in the oil field/natural gas spaces with Houston based Schlumberger, Weatherford, and Baker Hughes. They are in a constant fight for top talent in the industry which is predominately young and male. Their recruitment budget is huge and getting recruits to a game (and certain post game establishments) is a tried and true recruitment method and "owning" a game takes it up a notch. BHP Billiton's motivation certainly comes from the recruitment angle with a growing Houston devision focused on natural gas.

"Lengthy" enough analysis for ya, ET?

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny working in the Oil industry now, I recognise all those companies.

ServantofYHWH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate bud light and everything they sponsor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: