Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

QB Position
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ak06max

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: QB Position Reply with quote

Im Bored.

I can almost guarantee Emery is waiting it out for Cutler to prove himself for a long term deal. Who else can you see under center if for some reason Cutler is as inconsistent as he has been in the previous years, or else do you think Cutler will be resigned to a contract no matter how he plays this season?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is why Cutler will be re-signed and paired with Trestman for a few years.

-Sign a QB?

None ever hit free agency.

-Draft a QB in the 20s?

That rarely happens.

-Trade for one?

Good ones rarely get traded and if they do they cost a ton.

Is this team closer to a Superbowl with EJ Manuel or Alex Smith starting?
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade it all for Teddy.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Trade it all for Teddy.

I'd rather have 31-year old Jay over all the QBs potentially coming out next year. Just not a huge fan of any of them.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
DaMike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Trade it all for Teddy.

I'd rather have 31-year old Jay over all the QBs potentially coming out next year. Just not a huge fan of any of them.
I love Bridgewater so far. I wouldn't trade Cutler to get him (unless something crazy happened) but I think he's gonna be good.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless something absolutely catastrophic happens I'm resigning him no matter what.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
Unless something absolutely catastrophic happens I'm resigning him no matter what.
Cutler was not terribly inconsistent last year. I see no options to keeping him and that is fine by me.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutler plays well, but has gotten injured the last two years. I can see him getting a 3 year deal, unless he plays out of his mind.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as free agents go next year Jay is head, shoulders, and torso above the rest. Old Rexy, David Carr, and Chad Henne are the next best options, which none should be more than a back up.

I would be happy with getting Logan Thomas from VT in the second. Very athletic and shows some flashes of brilliance. Problem is he will get comparisons with Cam Newton due to his size, athleticism and arm strength, so someone will likely reach for him in the top 10. If VT does well this season he will basically be a lock for top 10.

For a late second to mid third I wouldn't bat an eye at getting Casey Pachall from TC or Stephen Morris from Miami. Both may serious physical tools, and I want to see what Trestman can do when he develops a QB from the start. He has done wonderfully with several QB after just a season or two, so this really intrigues me.

That being said I want Jay extended at least 2 years. Let a young talent grow and develop good habits, and Jay is more than a capable QB. But is he worth a monster contract? We'll see.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Jay Cutler apologist, but there can be no excuses this year. Here's why: his two biggest flaws have always been his footwork and his decision-making. I get the impression that improving those aspects of Cutler's game weren't a very big priority under Lovie, but Trestman shouldn't have much tolerance for inadequacy in that department.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
I'm a huge Jay Cutler apologist, but there can be no excuses this year. Here's why: his two biggest flaws have always been his footwork and his decision-making. I get the impression that improving those aspects of Cutler's game weren't a very big priority under Lovie, but Trestman shouldn't have much tolerance for inadequacy in that department.

That is one key about Trestman. He said in several interviews he expects progress in technique every year, be it from a rookie to a vet. He always preached about working on fundamentals, regardless of how long they have been a QB. So Jay will HAVE to work on it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000128022/article/chicago-bears-marc-trestman-has-a-plan-for-jay-cutler

Let's hope he follows through. I really hope he turns out to be everything Emery envisioned. Can't say I've been so excited about watching tidbits from training camp or preseason in years.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

I certainly won't paint Jay as a master of textbook fundamentals but a lot of that comes back to pass protection again. If you look back at the games where Jay was protected well he was far superior in his mechanics to those in the games he was running for his life.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
CBears019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jay Cutler - QB - Bears
Sources tell the Chicago Tribune that the Bears discussed giving Jay Cutler a new contract before Marc Trestman was hired.
The number being bandied about was a $15 million annual rate. But it appears that Trestman came in and said he wants to see Cutler execute his offense for a season before making a long-term commitment. To Cutler's credit, he has not issued a single complaint as he enters the final year of his deal. "You've got to win games to earn those contracts. ... So we'll play it out and see how it goes," he said earlier this offseason. Cutler is 34-22 during four seasons with the Bears, but has just one playoff appearance.

Just posted by rotoworld.

Almost exactly as we all expected.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 77 Yds: 821 TD: 6

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:

It's hard to support a guy that has panic attacks every time he plays the Packers. It may be time to move on so Tresman is playing it smart.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

It's hard to support a guy that has panic attacks every time he plays the Packers. It may be time to move on so Tresman is playing it smart.

I don't think that's a completely fair statement seeing as how many of the Bears/Packers matchups since 2009 have been total or near-total coaching follies on the part of Lovie Smith.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: