Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

lawrence vickers released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Hes not good and didnt do much with Chud. His breakout season was a 5 game stretch where we ran it every play and used a guard at tight end. Theres a reason he keeps getting cut over and over.


He was good longer than that but the Browns don't bring him back. id like to see an undrafted guy knock heads at fullback if we use one at all.


I think you're right that he was 'good' more than 5 games. However, he was never as 'good' as those that complained about his release seemed to think.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the point roger was trying to make.

Vickers was really not much more than a common example of a fullback.


And replaced by a worse example...

The team needs a decent fullback, Marecic is not the answer, maybe someone unexpected will step up?


Vickers was replaced by a rookie that performed as well as he did when he was a rookie.

Marecic is still on the Browns roster, so clearly the Browns disagree with you about what the possible answers at fullback are.

I'm curious why you think this disagreement exists.


?

... That Marecic sucks?

... Or that vickers will NOT be brought back?

Nt much of a disagreement with either of those in these parts.


So, you don't know why the Browns think you're wrong about Marecic?

Or, is it that you don't know why you have this opinion that 'Marecic is not the answer'?

Perhaps you just didn't know that Marecic was still on the Browns roster?

Which is it?


I don't think Marecic will make the final roster but the new staff wants to give him a chance to see what he has to offer before they cut him. He is still young and we don't have anyone else on our roster that is anything near a sure thing, so there is no harm in taking a look at him.

Other positions have suffered cuts, but they have also named starters (pre-camp) for those positions.


Yes, he is certainly in danger of not making the final 53.

I also think some may exaggerate Marecic's 'suckiness' as much as they might exaggerate Vickers' 'greatness'.

I'm very curious to see this play out. I wonder how many times this preseason we might see Oggie lead blocking...or Smelley...or whoever.

I'm also curious to see if we pick up any new players for that position.

Also, I'm very happy that such a minor position is a primary issue for the team. Seems like a much better problem to have than those we have had in the past 14 years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dropkick_pride


Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 10805
Location: C-bus
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely put Thomas.

Entropy, I'll pass on your troll attempt.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 630
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the last regime did themselves no favors by keeping O.Marecic and playing him over FB/TE B.Smelley, who blocked for T.Richardson in college. I like to think that Smelley is chomping at the bit to get in on this offense. If he can be serviceable as a TE in certain situations, then I think he'll find his way on the field more often in lots of formations.

Smelley is one of my sleeper picks to have a breakout type season on this team, probably not full on, it's not like the FB is featured ever, but I do think he can step it up if he gets the chance.

No to Vickers. I agree with most, we're getting younger, and not wasting money, so I don't see it happening.
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ether


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1903
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Hes not good and didnt do much with Chud. His breakout season was a 5 game stretch where we ran it every play and used a guard at tight end. Theres a reason he keeps getting cut over and over.


He was good longer than that but the Browns don't bring him back. id like to see an undrafted guy knock heads at fullback if we use one at all.


I think you're right that he was 'good' more than 5 games. However, he was never as 'good' as those that complained about his release seemed to think.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the point roger was trying to make.

Vickers was really not much more than a common example of a fullback.


And replaced by a worse example...

The team needs a decent fullback, Marecic is not the answer, maybe someone unexpected will step up?


Vickers was replaced by a rookie that performed as well as he did when he was a rookie.

Marecic is still on the Browns roster, so clearly the Browns disagree with you about what the possible answers at fullback are.

I'm curious why you think this disagreement exists.


There's a difference between not playing as a rookie and playing horrendously as a rookie.

We'll see what happens to Marecic, just because he's still on the roster doesn't really mean the FO is in love with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:


Entropy, I'll pass on your troll attempt.


This comment added nothing to the discussion.

And it was rude. Stop it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Hes not good and didnt do much with Chud. His breakout season was a 5 game stretch where we ran it every play and used a guard at tight end. Theres a reason he keeps getting cut over and over.


He was good longer than that but the Browns don't bring him back. id like to see an undrafted guy knock heads at fullback if we use one at all.


I think you're right that he was 'good' more than 5 games. However, he was never as 'good' as those that complained about his release seemed to think.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the point roger was trying to make.

Vickers was really not much more than a common example of a fullback.


And replaced by a worse example...

The team needs a decent fullback, Marecic is not the answer, maybe someone unexpected will step up?


Vickers was replaced by a rookie that performed as well as he did when he was a rookie.

Marecic is still on the Browns roster, so clearly the Browns disagree with you about what the possible answers at fullback are.

I'm curious why you think this disagreement exists.


There's a difference between not playing as a rookie and playing horrendously as a rookie.

We'll see what happens to Marecic, just because he's still on the roster doesn't really mean the FO is in love with him.


Who said the Browns were in love with him? I mean, besides you just then.

And I'm not sure who you are talking about with the bolded. Vickers played in all 16 games as a rookie. The difference is that he had the benefit of an accomplished FB (Terrelle Smith) to share playing time with.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hornbybrown


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 15438
Location: 1600 Pennyslvania Ave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.
_________________


Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalcolmBrown


Joined: 26 Jul 2011
Posts: 630
Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?



It was a mistake because it left us a hole at FB that has not been filled since?
_________________
"You mean...this ain't Malcolm Browns car...? ...Damn...my bad..."

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hornbybrown


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 15438
Location: 1600 Pennyslvania Ave
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?


Because at the time I thought he was still playing well. Which would of meant we could of done far better with that 4th round pick we used on a FB who is horrible. He is still a better FB than Owen likely ever will be but is now two years older.
I think we should give Smelley sometime there and see how he goes.
_________________


Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin
Pierre Desir
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmBrown wrote:
Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?



It was a mistake because it left us a hole at FB that has not been filled since?


At the time, there was no hole. Marecic became the starting FB as a rookie.

I think that the hole at FB started to exist when Marecic was benched last year.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hornbybrown wrote:
Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?


Because at the time I thought he was still playing well. Which would of meant we could of done far better with that 4th round pick we used on a FB who is horrible. He is still a better FB than Owen likely ever will be but is now two years older.
I think we should give Smelley sometime there and see how he goes.


I get ya. I just don't think I can agree with Vickers playing 'well' in 2010 (or really any season). Vickers had a handful of plays that he executed 'well' enough that they stuck out, in my opinion. But overall, he had little impact (good or bad) on the team during his time here. He's a freakin' fullback, lol.

I think Hillis played 'well' in 2010.

I really would like to see MalcolmBrown hit on his prediction about Smelley though.

But who knows, maybe Marecic comes to camp as a completely different player. I did hear reports that he was spending a lot of time working on his receiving after practice.

He might surprise everyone and blow Le'Ron McClain's 42 yards rushing and 29 yards receiving out of the water next year.

Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 5219
Location: WV
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
Entropy wrote:
hornbybrown wrote:
At the time it was a mistake to cut/ not resign Vickers. Having said that I would not sign him at this point.


Why was it a mistake at the time horny?

And it seems like you're saying he should have played for 2 more years and then be cut in favor of who we have now. Is that what you mean to say?


Because at the time I thought he was still playing well. Which would of meant we could of done far better with that 4th round pick we used on a FB who is horrible. He is still a better FB than Owen likely ever will be but is now two years older.
I think we should give Smelley sometime there and see how he goes.


I get ya. I just don't think I can agree with Vickers playing 'well' in 2010 (or really any season). Vickers had a handful of plays that he executed 'well' enough that they stuck out, in my opinion. But overall, he had little impact (good or bad) on the team during his time here. He's a freakin' fullback, lol.

I think Hillis played 'well' in 2010.

I really would like to see MalcolmBrown hit on his prediction about Smelley though.

But who knows, maybe Marecic comes to camp as a completely different player. I did hear reports that he was spending a lot of time working on his receiving after practice.

He might surprise everyone and blow Le'Ron McClain's 42 yards rushing and 29 yards receiving out of the water next year.

Very Happy


Unless Marecic takes a pill to give him the athletic ability to play FB in the NFL I honestly think expecting anything out of him to be wishful thinking. I loved him in college, and was okay with the selection, but from the 1st time I saw him in pads I couldn't shake the feeling that he just doesn't belong. If he caught the ball well he may be a servicable player, but even that would be a stretch. I hope he proves me wrong though, or someone else takes hold of the position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ether


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1903
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Entropy wrote:
Ether wrote:
roger murdock wrote:
Hes not good and didnt do much with Chud. His breakout season was a 5 game stretch where we ran it every play and used a guard at tight end. Theres a reason he keeps getting cut over and over.


He was good longer than that but the Browns don't bring him back. id like to see an undrafted guy knock heads at fullback if we use one at all.


I think you're right that he was 'good' more than 5 games. However, he was never as 'good' as those that complained about his release seemed to think.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the point roger was trying to make.

Vickers was really not much more than a common example of a fullback.


And replaced by a worse example...

The team needs a decent fullback, Marecic is not the answer, maybe someone unexpected will step up?


Vickers was replaced by a rookie that performed as well as he did when he was a rookie.

Marecic is still on the Browns roster, so clearly the Browns disagree with you about what the possible answers at fullback are.

I'm curious why you think this disagreement exists.


There's a difference between not playing as a rookie and playing horrendously as a rookie.

We'll see what happens to Marecic, just because he's still on the roster doesn't really mean the FO is in love with him.


Who said the Browns were in love with him? I mean, besides you just then.

And I'm not sure who you are talking about with the bolded. Vickers played in all 16 games as a rookie. The difference is that he had the benefit of an accomplished FB (Terrelle Smith) to share playing time with.


yeah Vickers played on like...kick return and on Mo Carthon's super clever FB pass plays. Marecic and Vicker's rookie seasons can't really be put side to side and compared when Vicker's had to pay his dues his first season. They had two completely different roles.

and that's a hyperbole, it wouldn't make much sense to outright cut Marecic at this point without the benefit of a preseason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ether


Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 1903
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but I'm pretty sure you're just trolling Entropy, Vickers executed on a couple plays? haha really? this thread should be locked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group