Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How Does Shanahan Continue to Produce 1000 Yard Rushers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: How Does Shanahan Continue to Produce 1000 Yard Rushers Reply with quote

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1700461-how-does-mike-shanahan-always-churn-out-rb-success

This article is a really interesting read. It talks about what attributes Shanahan looks for in runningbacks and Olineman to make his zoning blocking scheme work. From the article:

"How do you get a bunch of overgrown children to put their egos to bed and listen to you? That's the challenge NFL coaches have been dealing with while trying to hold the attention of 20-something-year-old millionaires for decades, and doing so is even more difficult when you're trying to get them to grip a zone-blocking scheme, which requires a tremendous amount of focus, hard work and discipline to master.

Is it easier to make a sixth-round pick listen to you? Absolutely, and that's a big reason all of the elements of the Shanahan/Gibbs system have come together successfully. Not only do they not need superstars, but they really don't even want them."

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attribute a lot of Shanahan's success' with running backs to how well his OLs are at zone blocking as a unit.

I do agree with what you quoted in the article though as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I attribute a lot of Shanahan's success' with running backs to how well his OLs are at zone blocking as a unit.

I do agree with what you quoted in the article though as well.
I think they're all an integral part which includes the rb. You're right though the rb is kinda the straw that stirs the drink. Morris might not be the best athlete but his elite vision let him take advantage of the elaborate blocking scheme in front of him.

Redskins FFMD War Room
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=541707
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just for Morris, but on thing that set Morris apart in my eyes is his toughness and running style. His ability to get yards after contact and always falling forward is pretty amazing. For such a humble and soft spoken kid, he is an Fn beast!!!! This is the reason I dont see much of a sophmore slump for him....I hope he has less yards because I want him to have less carries, but his running style will get him those few extra yards to keep his average around 4.5 yards per carry!!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
This is just for Morris, but on thing that set Morris apart in my eyes is his toughness and running style. His ability to get yards after contact and always falling forward is pretty amazing. For such a humble and soft spoken kid, he is an Fn beast!!!! This is the reason I dont see much of a sophmore slump for him....I hope he has less yards because I want him to have less carries, but his running style will get him those few extra yards to keep his average around 4.5 yards per carry!!!
agreed. I'm trying to remember who he reminds me of, maybe like an smaller Earl Campbell?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
agreed. I'm trying to remember who he reminds me of, maybe like an smaller Earl Campbell?

I like the Campbeel comparison....I also think of a smaller Jerome Bettis. Not the fastest dude in the world but a punishing runner....also a TD machine!
aceinthehouse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly & truly believe the #1 reason why RG3 won't have that infamous "Sophomore Slump" won't be because of his recovered injury or even a healthy Pierre Garcon, but because of the presence of Alfred Morris.

Morris makes Defenses respect his running ability so much, it opens things up in RG3 running or passing.

Don't get me wrong...RG3 certainly reciprocates that same respect. But Morris is such a punishing runner, that he alone forces defenses to pursue him in groups because of his ability to break tackles.

This in turn makes those play action or misdirection plays so more successful than they would otherwise be.

1 wrong decision by the Defense is usually detrimental every time they make that 1 mistake. It's also why I kind of laugh every time I hear opponents & their fans say...'Defenses will figure out how to stop them next year."

So much focus is that they will stop RG3 & that "Pistol/Read option gimmicky crap"

That they either forget or disrespect Morris ability as a stud RB.

All we've done this year, is possibly made our Running game even better with more options. With the draft selections of Thompson & Jamison. With Helu possibly being in the mix & an added weapon in TE Jordan Reed?

It's just going to open that much more up, for Robert Griffin III.

Healthy or not, RG3 shouldn't NEED to run the ball that much this year.
With the weapons Shanahan has added to the roster.

...And this is why I'm so excited.

If our Receiving threat can improve just a little bit(IE..less drop passes, bigger plays, etc)?

We very well could be unstoppable.

Remember friends...we were the 4th highest scoring team last year with 436 pts. (or 27.2 pts per game)

If we improve off that?
Not even the 49ers will be able to stop the Redskins train coming at them.

DRIVEN BY THIS GUY!

AND I LOVE IT !!! Anxious

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:
I honestly & truly believe the #1 reason why RG3 won't have that infamous "Sophomore Slump" won't be because of his recovered injury or even a healthy Pierre Garcon, but because of the presence of Alfred Morris.

Morris makes Defenses respect his running ability so much, it opens things up in RG3 running or passing.

Don't get me wrong...RG3 certainly reciprocates that same respect. But Morris is such a punishing runner, that he alone forces defenses to pursue him in groups because of his ability to break tackles.

This in turn makes those play action or misdirection plays so more successful than they would otherwise be.

1 wrong decision by the Defense is usually detrimental every time they make that 1 mistake. It's also why I kind of laugh every time I hear opponents & their fans say...'Defenses will figure out how to stop them next year."

So much focus is that they will stop RG3 & that "Pistol/Read option gimmicky crap"

All we've done this year, is possibly made our Running game even better with more options. With the draft selections of Thompson & Jamison. With Helu possibly being in the mix & an added weapon in TE Jordan Reed?

If our Receiving threat can improve just a little bit(IE..less drop passes, bigger plays, etc)?

Remember friends...we were the 4th highest scoring team last year with 436 pts. (or 27.2 pts per game)

If we improve off that?

DRIVEN BY THIS GUY!

I agree. Ace, great picture also! Laughing
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's..................................... MAGIC!!!!.................

you wouldn't understand.... Laughing
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceinthehouse wrote:

If we improve off that?

DRIVEN BY THIS GUY!

I agree with almost everything in this post. Even if Morriss has an off year (which is highly unlikely) Shanny has an ace up his sleeve for that, as well. While Mikes running the show the ground attack is not an area that I have concern about.

Also thats a pimp picture!
Better run better run faster than RG3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: