Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An unusual opportunity to upgrade our O-line talent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: An unusual opportunity to upgrade our O-line talent Reply with quote

I just read this article about Michael Bamiro, an OT prospect that was I drafted because nobody realized he was draft eligible:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/12/large-turnout-for-fcs-lineman-michael-bamiros-psuedo-pro-day/

I would love it if the Lions were able to sign this guy. Apparently we sent someone to see his "pro day". He is a draftable prospect with a whole lot of physical ability and potential. Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox have some experience but as this article points out you can't teach the kind of physical tools this guy possesses. Personally, the way the scouts describe him reminds me of Tyron Smith (LT for the cowboys). This is the kind of developmental player we need to have on our roster and with our situation on the O-line he might see playing time sooner than expected. Does anyone else know anything about him? What does everyone else think about signing him?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting player. The guy has size but comes from a pretty poor level of competition. Doubt he would do much for us, but the situation is interesting.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
WillParks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the article scouts were giving him a mid to late round grade. There were representatives from over 20 teams at his workout in spite of his level of competition. For some perspective, Brandon Brooks of the Houston Texans is slated to start this year and he played at Miami, OH. he was a third round pick.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't really upgrade out talent. Just takes up a roster spot at this point.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how a guy who was not drafted or picked up as UDFA is an upgrade.

Maybe a camp body to battle I guess

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
WillParks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the article the only reason he wasn't drafted was because nobody realized he we draft eligible. If over 20 teams sends scouts to someone's pro day this guy is much more than just a "camp body".
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
According to the article the only reason he wasn't drafted was because nobody realized he we draft eligible. If over 20 teams sends scouts to someone's pro day this guy is much more than just a "camp body".

Well, from all my understanding FWIW, he is more than a camp body, but not much more. Most likely a bench warmer, most likely very raw. Unlikely he could beat out the bodies we already have riding the pine that were drafted a tad higher than his perceived value and have a couple years under their belt.

I certainly am not sure he would upgrade our talent, but it is a very intriguing situation and one that would be interesting to monitor.
jason96r

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Lions signed him he would be a developmental prospect. He could be a piece of the future but most times it takes OL prospects at least 3 years to start playing, I'm not talking about top 3 round type of prospects.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:

Why would 20 teams waste money to go to a pro day of a guy they thought was not able to be drafted?

Something not adding up

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Why would 20 teams waste money to go to a pro day of a guy they thought was not able to be drafted?

Something not adding up

He held what they are referring to as his pro day after the fact. More like a FA workout if you will.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Something not adding up
Did you read the article?

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
detfan782004 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Something not adding up

He held what they are referring to as his pro day after the fact. More like a FA workout if you will.

Ah. It wouldn't open on phone to read. Still 20 teams yet unsigned?

Not sure how its upgrade but could be depth

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a former scout say on twitter that this guy is a practice squad type guy in 2013. His size is really good though.

R.I.P. Stylish
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Saw a former scout say on twitter that this guy is a practice squad type guy in 2013. His size is really good though.

Sounds about right. Interesting guy just not sold it can help right away as OP seemed to hint towards.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I've read in this article and elsewhere he would have been a 4th - 6th round pick. He's a big boy but fairly raw and didn't play top competition.

22 teams watched his workout yet he's unsigned. While he may develop I can't see how he would upgrade the oline at this point in time. At best the practice squad.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: