Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cortez Allen on brink of stardom with Pittsburgh Steelers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Cortez Allen on brink of stardom with Pittsburgh Steelers Reply with quote

Cortez Allen on brink of stardom with Pittsburgh Steelers

Cortez Allen has a good mentor in Ike Taylor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike stories like this. Beyond that, even if Allen has a great season, CB's on the Steelers tend to get underrated.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Allen, but Im not a big fan of stories like this either.

We know he has potential, but he still has work to do. And I hope he listens to Carnell Lake alot more than Ike.
treat88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue where "on the brink of stardom" comes from.

Seems like a tag meant only to generate a response.

Shouldn't we answer the question of whether he's even a capable starter before we talk stardom?

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough crowd! LOl! I agree that Cortez Allen has a ways to go before stardom is reached but the Steelers haven't had a promising young CB in 20 yrs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
Tough crowd! LOl! I agree that Cortez Allen has a ways to go before stardom is reached but the Steelers haven't had a promising young CB in 20 yrs.

???

Ike Taylor?

Even Bryant McFadden was at the same level as Cortez Allen is now. Only difference is Allen is a better cover guy while BMac was a better tackler, so I have more faith in Allen.

And many had faith in Keenan Lewis early in his career when he was showing flashes in preseason.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was written by a Citadel reporter, wasn't it? I'm sure that would explain the hyperbole he shelled out there
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

Even Bryant McFadden was at the same level as Cortez Allen is now. Only difference is Allen is a better cover guy while BMac was a better tackler, so I have more faith in Allen.

And many had faith in Keenan Lewis early in his career when he was showing flashes in preseason.

I'd argue that Allen has playmaking potential; whereas BMac never did.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

I'd argue that Allen has playmaking potential; whereas BMac never did.

BMac never did? Based on what?

Allen has more upside in general, but AT THIS POINT, he hasnt shown any more than McFadden showed. Many were excited for BMac to start as well, and he did have promise, even if his upside wasnt as great.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

Ike? Wouldn't say he showed promised more then determination. Then to get demoted a year after he got the position isn't a good look either.

BMac did show a lot of potential similar to Cortez Allen. BMac biggest problem was injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

Ike? Wouldn't say he showed promised more then determination. Then to get demoted a year after he got the position isn't a good look either.

BMac did show a lot of potential similar to Cortez Allen. BMac biggest problem was injuries.

Not trying to get into an argument, but I dont get what you are saying about Ike.

Determination? All promising players have to show determination. Thats part of what makes them promising. Thats the reason no one really considers Jon Dwyer promising.

Ike had alot of buzz going into the 2005 season and had a very nice season, so you wouldnt say he was promising? And while Ike had a down season in 2006, most were still very high on him going into the season.

I would consider that more promising that Allen currently is. At least Ike had shown something as a starter. I have faith in Lake and Allen, but bottom line is Allen still hasnt shown anything in a starting capacity.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

Not trying to get into an argument, but I dont get what you are saying about Ike.

Determination? All promising players have to show determination. Thats part of what makes them promising. Thats the reason no one really considers Jon Dwyer promising.

Ike had alot of buzz going into the 2005 season and had a very nice season, so you wouldnt say he was promising? And while Ike had a down season in 2006, most were still very high on him going into the season.

I would consider that more promising that Allen currently is. At least Ike had shown something as a starter. I have faith in Lake and Allen, but bottom line is Allen still hasnt shown anything in a starting capacity.

What kind of promise did Ike Taylor show. He was a untested 1 yr CB from a small school. Ike's biggest claim to fame is that whispered 40 time he put up at his pro day.

I agree that all players show signs of determination, but not all have promise. Dwyer doesn't have promise he's just a gifted RB with no determination.

But I get what your saying.

Cortez reminds me of Chad Scott before he shredded his knee.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

What kind of promise did Ike Taylor show. He was a untested 1 yr CB from a small school. Ike's biggest claim to fame is that whispered 40 time he put up at his pro day.

I agree that all players show signs of determination, but not all have promise. Dwyer doesn't have promise he's just a gifted RB with no determination.

Ike showed well as a rookie and was very good in his first year starting (2005). Before the 2005 season, the coaches were raving about him. He was 25 at that point, barely older than Allen is now. How is Allen more promising than Ike was when Ike showed he was capable of being starter, when Allen has not.

I agree Allen is promising, but dont have much to base it on. With Ike in 2005, we did.

Anyway, Im not going to keep debating this.

We both are excited about Allen's upside and hope he lives up to it. Thats all that matters.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

???

Ike Taylor?

Ike showed well as a rookie and was very good in his first year starting (2005). Before the 2005 season, the coaches were raving about him. He was 25 at that point, barely older than Allen is now. How is Allen more promising than Ike was when Ike showed he was capable of being starter, when Allen has not.

I agree Allen is promising, but dont have much to base it on. With Ike in 2005, we did.

Anyway, Im not going to keep debating this.

We both are excited about Allen's upside and hope he lives up to it. Thats all that matters.

I know you said you were done, but the difference is that I believe Cortez probably has shown more signs of be a playmaker. Allen had more FF last year then Ike has had his entire career.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ike and Allen have show a lot in bump and run coverage. The system that both played exclusively in college. Nether had any zone coverage experience before they came to the Steelers.

Cortez Allen has been "my man" since before he was drafted by the Steelers. A ton of potential and I think he can realize it. Props to LeBeau and Lake for putting him in situations where he can succeed ( read not zone coverage).

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: