Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaws ranks Stafford
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stafford=legend

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having Jay Cutler ahead of Stafford on that list causes his opinion to hold significance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Stafford clearly isn't great, he has a number of flaws mainly of which IMO is his mechanics, but the potential is there for him to be a top level QB.

Definitely don't like ranking a guy like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick that high just off of one season. This year, as it inevitably seems to happen, 2-3 of those QB's will likely suffer a "sophmore slump" as teams figure them out. You could argue it happened with Stafford looking at 2011 (obviously not this first season but was the first full season for him) versus 2012, certainly happened with Cam Newton.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Ya, I'd take Sanchize over Romo.

I would take Romo (the player) over Sanchez (the player) without hesitation. Romo is inconsistent. Sanchez is consistently mediocre.

Team Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem is just the inconsistency of his reasoning. The reason he doesn't like one is because the exact reason he likes another. It's like he used the dart board method and just made up stuff to talk about. And Schaub has been hurt and inconsistent his whole career but is now a top 10 QB?

I honestly would have Sanchez as the last QB on this list, and I don't think he makes it though the season as a starter. I would take Shaun Hill over Sanchez.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
My biggest problem is just the inconsistency of his reasoning. The reason he doesn't like one is because the exact reason he likes another. It's like he used the dart board method and just made up stuff to talk about. And Schaub has been hurt and inconsistent his whole career but is now a top 10 QB?

I honestly would have Sanchez as the last QB on this list, and I don't think he makes it though the season as a starter. I would take Shaun Hill over Sanchez.

I would take Hill over Sanchize as well. But Sanchize would not be last on my list.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaws seems to go and change his mind by the week honestly. I have no problem knocking Stafford some but hate fact he gets so much blame for losses.

I wish he had half the support most QBs have.

A run game and ST would be nice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think jaws actually pays espn to be on it. The guy has altimers or something. Far ss Staffords ranking we saw his potential..it would take jaws 3 season to throw for 5000 yrds. He came to a very poor team like epic poor. I only like to have 5 other qbs in the nfl overstafford..
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
I mean Stafford clearly isn't great, he has a number of flaws mainly of which IMO is his mechanics, but the potential is there for him to be a top level QB.

Definitely don't like ranking a guy like Luck, RGIII, Wilson, Kaepernick that high just off of one season. This year, as it inevitably seems to happen, 2-3 of those QB's will likely suffer a "sophmore slump" as teams figure them out. You could argue it happened with Stafford looking at 2011 (obviously not this first season but was the first full season for him) versus 2012, certainly happened with Cam Newton.

Cam Newton improved as a passer by most measures in his second year.

There was a thread on this in NFL General: there are few cases of quarterbacks with good rookie years suddenly seeing their performance drop the following season.

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
fortdetroit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I just want the season to start so I can stop defending Stafford so much on here lol. Let his play do the talking. Either he proves me right (and last year was a down year as opposed to what he is) or i'm just a big homer Smile
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
Also Kapernick is not listed yet. Again, he showed signs, and yes went to a SB behind a great defense but I still can't put him ahead of Stafford after playing half a season. It's like when a new player comes up in baseball and does well until teams figure him out.

Its not just the defense and half a season. Heck, the 49ers secondary was exposed once Justin Smith got hurt.

The thing about Kaepernick is, is that the 49ers offense is extremely QB friendly. Dont get me wrong, the kid is a great talent, and made some good throws, but the vast majority of the time, its as simple as finding the favorable matchup, and/or one on one to exploit. Lord knows we had next to zero of that last year.

The 49ers in fact faced the most amount of 8 man boxes.

The Lions faced the least.

Anybody who would put Kaepernick ahead of Stafford either doesnt watch the games, doesnt understand the games, or is just prisoner of the moment.

That's just foolish.

Making statements discrediting others who might not share your view is closed minded. Especially when the discussion is about a subjective non quantifiable topic.

If you were to ask people what qualities and abilities they are looking for in a QB you wouldn't have consensus so why wouldn't you expect and accept differing assessments of their abilities?

You mention a lack of 8 man boxes faced by the Lions. I agree and its one of the factors that relates to my concern about his decision making. On far to many occasions Stafford was presented with opportunities to step up, into the pocket which would have allowed him plenty of time and the opportunity to make a proper throw. Instead he bailed, rolled out, exposed himself to unnecessary hits and made some terrible side armed throws off his back foot.

I understand why he may hear footsteps but its an area he has to improve on if he wants to advance to the next level.

In this example he needs to make the opposition pay so they adjust their coverage of the Lions. Heck he can run, forward and slide. Its up to him to recognize the opportunities present on the field and make the defence pay.

Poor decision making is evidenced in many ways not just interceptions which you referenced in an earlier post.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: