Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaws ranks Stafford
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Jaws ranks Stafford Reply with quote

Detroit Lions' Matthew Stafford falls to No. 16 in ESPN's Jaws' QB Countdown List

Quote:
"Another full season with similar production, and there's no question Stafford is a top 10 quarterback," Jaworski said at the time on ESPN's "Jaws' QB Countdown" series. "He's an elite arm talent. I just need to see durability and performance over a longer period of time."

Stafford was able to duplicate the yardage (throwing for 4,967 yards 2012), but that wasn't enough for Jaworski to move the former No. 1 overall pick up the list.

Quote:
"Too many forced throws. Overall, he just threw too many passes with poor balance and bad footwork, with a tendency to fall away from the throws," Jaworski said. "He needs more consistent mechanics to play at a higher level week in and week out."

Whatever Jaworski's reasoning may be, something tells me that another 10-6 season and a trip to the playoffs would have far more effect on Stafford's ranking than improved footwork.

What is your personal assessment of Stafford?

Where would you rank him out of all the QB's in the NFL?

Here is his ongoing list.

Last edited by X_Factor_40 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whos ahead of him that shouldnt be?

Jay Cutler? Tony Romo?
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThugCityGrunt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's fine. The INTs will come down with experience. 20 TDs last year was a fluke. Remember how many time CJ was tackled inside the 5 yard line?

I would expect him to have a 2:1 TD:INT ratio for the duration on his career.
The Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The INT numbers were fine considering the number of times he threw the ball. He had the 11th best INT % at 2.3 last season, which was the same as Matt Ryan, and better than Brees, Wilson, Rivers, Eli, Romo, Palmer, Newton, Dalton, Luck and Cutler.

The TD numbers were most definitely a statistical fluke, made a post about it in the News forum in the contract thread. I feel confident he'll throw 30+ this season.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
So whos ahead of him that shouldnt be?

Jay Cutler? Tony Romo?

Ya, I'd take Sanchize over Romo. But I think the ranking is fair for Stafford overall.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any issue with the ranking. Currently Stafford is a middle of the road QB that needs to be more consistent and make better decisions with the football.

Its time for him to take the next step towards realizing his potential.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
jollyninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often point at Stafford's statistics as being inflated by the fact that we have had almost no running game. I would point to the first few games of 2011 as a counter point. Best was in the line up. keeping defenses honest and Stafford picked them apart for 1436 yards with 13 TDs, 4 INT and 5 wins in the first five games. I would say that the lack of a running game has limited Stafford's stats as opposed to inflating them and drastically limited his winning percentage. Statistically I expect a top five season from Mr. Stafford. With that said I'd rank him behind Rogers. Peyton, Brady, Brees, Eli, Big Ben, Newton, Ryan, and maybe Flacco as better QB's right now. I truly hope he doesn't come anywhere near 5000 yards this year. That's not how we're going to win games consistently.

With that said, I don't think Jaws is really basing his rankings to much on just last season, in 2012 he ranked Stafford as the 14th best QB. I wonder what he thought of Brett Favre before the 1994 season? terrible mechanics, and forcing throws to a single dominant receiver....... We can only hope it works out that well for us.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a horse crap ranking to be honest. But not just Stafford, the whole thing. He says he needs to see it over time yet has Luck and RG3 ahead of him. He says he needs to see durability but RG3 didn't make it through his whole first season. Stafford as far as wins is a middle of the road QB right now but this list isn't about wins, which is a team effort. I would have Stafford in the 10-12 range, but definitely ahead of Romo, Cutler, and RG3 and likely ahead of Luck. I'm not saying he will always be better than the two second year players but he is right now.

Also I don't see Russell Wlson on that list so he likely will be ahead of him and that's just ridiculous. Sure he had a good year as far as wins but so did Stafford. Jaws is an idiot that always contradicts himself and this list is just more proof.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
detroitroar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont get this thought that decision making is an issue for him. He had a 'down year' and still was top 10 in INT%.

I surely can think of between 5 to 10 throws that just shouldnt of been attempted. I dont think it is an issue though. No team in history has ever leaned on a young QB the way we have. I think he would be a fool not to force some throws to try and actually win a damn game for us.

He needs to step up the accuracy on a consistent basis.

And he needs better pocket awareness.

One thing that has gotten lost in last season, is the fact that he improved tremendously on throwing on the move.

I think he is a bit too low.

I sure as heck woulnt put any of the rookie QB's ahead of him.

Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I think it's a horse crap ranking to be honest. But not just Stafford, the whole thing. He says he needs to see it over time yet has Luck and RG3 ahead of him. He says he needs to see durability but RG3 didn't make it through his whole first season. Stafford as far as wins is a middle of the road QB right now but this list isn't about wins, which is a team effort. I would have Stafford in the 10-12 range, but definitely ahead of Romo, Cutler, and RG3 and likely ahead of Luck. I'm not saying he will always be better than the two second year players but he is right now.

Also I don't see Russell Wlson on that list so he likely will be ahead of him and that's just ridiculous. Sure he had a good year as far as wins but so did Stafford. Jaws is an idiot that always contradicts himself and this list is just more proof.

Yeah Russell Wilson is the one i was missing. Also no chance in hell would i rank Matt Schaub ahead of Matt Stafford either. I would put Stafford at about 11

ahead of Wilson, Schaub, Cutler, Romo and RGIII
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Kapernick is not listed yet. Again, he showed signs, and yes went to a SB behind a great defense but I still can't put him ahead of Stafford after playing half a season. It's like when a new player comes up in baseball and does well until teams figure him out.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
One thing that has gotten lost in last season, is the fact that he improved tremendously on throwing on the move.

Agreed, he made some terrific throws on the run last year.
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly would put Stafford over Romo based on recent play?

So Mark Sanchez was a better player last season than Russel Wilson?

Depends on what you are looking for. Breaking down defenses I would take Sanchez no doubt.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
What exactly would put Stafford over Romo based on recent play?

At least Stafford hasn't yet proven he is horrid.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Also Kapernick is not listed yet. Again, he showed signs, and yes went to a SB behind a great defense but I still can't put him ahead of Stafford after playing half a season. It's like when a new player comes up in baseball and does well until teams figure him out.

Its not just the defense and half a season. Heck, the 49ers secondary was exposed once Justin Smith got hurt.

The thing about Kaepernick is, is that the 49ers offense is extremely QB friendly. Dont get me wrong, the kid is a great talent, and made some good throws, but the vast majority of the time, its as simple as finding the favorable matchup, and/or one on one to exploit. Lord knows we had next to zero of that last year.

The 49ers in fact faced the most amount of 8 man boxes.

The Lions faced the least.

Anybody who would put Kaepernick ahead of Stafford either doesnt watch the games, doesnt understand the games, or is just prisoner of the moment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: