Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Irvin Officially Moving to Linebacker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Irvin Officially Moving to Linebacker Reply with quote

Probably could have gone in H.O.T. but I thought this deserved its own thread and could get some discussion going in here again. The Seahawks have officially announced that they will be moving Bruce Irvin to SLB.

Quote:
general manager John Schneider and coach Pete Carroll called [Irvin] a "carbon copy" of Denver Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller.

Quote:
"He's extremely versatile, and that's why we've loved him from the start," Carroll explained. "He's really fast. He's 250 pounds, and he's exactly fitting the right kind of body type to play outside backer in the 3-4 system. We're a 4-3 personnel system that plays 3-4 looks. He's extremely valuable for us."

I am stoked. This is what I always hoped he'd play in Seattle back before the '12 draft. On base downs, he fits much better at SLB. He's better suited to hold an edge than maintain gap control. He showed great ability on stunts last year and will hopefully be used creatively by Dan Quinn and co.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217046/article/bruce-irvin-moving-to-linebacker-for-seattle-seahawks

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Ring Worm Sherm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessssss I love this. I think Bruce will thrive in this role. He may not be the greatest against the run, but having him on the field more with his pass rushing ability gots me giddy

“Its pay back, Russell Wilson"
sirensong

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pin the ears back and bring the heat!!! Good for Bruce this will get him on the field alot more and hopefully he can thrive and be our version of Von Miller.

Being able to move him around more and use him in alot of stunts should have him thrive.
klyon7634

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Move!!!

Cant wait to see Irvin, Clem, Avril and Bennett on the field at the same time.

That pass rush Shocked

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
Tooki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move makes a lot of sense with Dan Quinn in town (and perhaps a move closer to what Pete operated at USC).

Hopefully he can pan out to be a poor-mans Von Miller
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
This move makes a lot of sense with Dan Quinn in town (and perhaps a move closer to what Pete operated at USC).

Hopefully he can pan out to be a poor-mans Von Miller
honestly, I think he's capable of becoming the pass rushing equivalent of Miller. I just don't expect him to become his equal against the pass. He's got the fluidity to be dominant in coverage though.

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
union hawk fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the move, allows us to get more pass rushers on the field at the same time.
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tats, can you practice and travel with the team during a suspension?

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tats, that's why I said that Irvin would be a poor-man's Von at best. The Seahawks could really do with a stand-up rusher.

imani wrote:

I'm fairly sure that a suspended player cannot go to the training facility or the game (Brandon Browner said something about having to watch the Seahawks play from his home in an interview).
imani

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
I agree Tats, that's why I said that Irvin would be a poor-man's Von at best. The Seahawks could really do with a stand-up rusher.

imani wrote:

I'm fairly sure that a suspended player cannot go to the training facility or the game (Brandon Browner said something about having to watch the Seahawks play from his home in an interview).

Sucks if that's the case. It would have dne wonders for his development to be able to practice at SLB with the team during the first 4 weeks when everyone is at full speed. Should payoff later in the year, but i doubt we really see Irvin come of age until 2014-15. Hopefully come playoff time he becomes a real threat

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
klyon7634

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Tooki wrote:

imani wrote:

Sucks if that's the case. It would have dne wonders for his development to be able to practice at SLB with the team during the first 4 weeks when everyone is at full speed. Should payoff later in the year, but i doubt we really see Irvin come of age until 2014-15. Hopefully come playoff time he becomes a real threat

I believe he is aloud to be with the team right up until the week of the first game. So he has Training Camp and Four Preseason games to practice with us and get ready.

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Tooki wrote:

imani wrote:

I agree completely. I think that it will be easier for Irvin in a way because Clem will be back at some point and he will only improve as he gets more game time.

I expect Irvin to get a fair amount of pre-season reps, either at DE or LB.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be good - he won't be a normal LB in the sense that he won't be asked to drop back in coverage or single-cover TEs but that's not how they are planning to use him. I worry a little bit about his run-support but that's a concern at DE or LB quite frankly. It'll be interesting to see how they use him but I'm all for it if it allows us to get more pass rushers on the field.

Also - he can practice and play with the team until the end of the fourth pre-season game. Then his suspension begins and he cannot be at the team facility until after the fourth regular season game. He can't practice, watch film or travel with the team. It's a suspension so think of it like being suspended from school. You don't go to school when you're suspended right?
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
Should be good - he won't be a normal LB in the sense that he won't be asked to drop back in coverage or single-cover TEs but that's not how they are planning to use him. I worry a little bit about his run-support but that's a concern at DE or LB quite frankly. It'll be interesting to see how they use him but I'm all for it if it allows us to get more pass rushers on the field.

Also - he can practice and play with the team until the end of the fourth pre-season game. Then his suspension begins and he cannot be at the team facility until after the fourth regular season game. He can't practice, watch film or travel with the team. It's a suspension so think of it like being suspended from school. You don't go to school when you're suspended right?

I believe that you're 100% correct here. Pete hasn't said how many reps Bruce will get during pre-season either.
SoS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this news. Was really hoping this move would eventually be made because I feel Irvin never would've been big enough to be a 3 down player at LEO. I think this helps our pass rush immensely and should really free up Irvin to get to the QB. Hopefully the Norton Jr. can work on his coverage skills and playing against the run. He's done wonders with our other LBs.

I don't think this increases the probability of us retaining both Clemons and Avril in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: