Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos Sign Clady to 5-year Contract
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hibdib31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
The Broncos could simply franchise him again next season if he does not want to sign the deal offered.

Then you risk him not playing...

Its now or never IMO. I think it gets done on Sunday.

I called it earlier in the week. Glad to have Ryan around for the bridge from Peyton to Brock. Need to solidify the WR position now.

I wonder what Demaryius and Eric are going to cost.

The top contracts to receivers this offseason are around $11M-$12M per year:

Mike Wallace - 5yrs/$60M: $12M/yr
Dwayne Bowe - 5yrs/$56M: $11.2M/yr
Percy Harvin - 6yrs/$67M: $11.167/yr

I think Demaryius will seek an extension at $12M/yr. As for Decker, I'm not sure what they will be able to afford/assess his value at.
b_rent87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
The Broncos could simply franchise him again next season if he does not want to sign the deal offered.

Then you risk him not playing...

Its now or never IMO. I think it gets done on Sunday.

I called it earlier in the week. Glad to have Ryan around for the bridge from Peyton to Brock. Need to solidify the WR position now.

I wonder what Demaryius and Eric are going to cost.

The top contracts to receivers this offseason are around $11M-$12M per year:

Mike Wallace - 5yrs/$60M: $12M/yr
Dwayne Bowe - 5yrs/$56M: $11.2M/yr
Percy Harvin - 6yrs/$67M: $11.167/yr

I think Demaryius will seek an extension at $12M/yr. As for Decker, I'm not sure what they will be able to afford/assess his value at.

Decker will be gone in my opinion

Props to Jamison on the sig
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in the term, "hometown discount", but if there ever a person to take it then it would be Decker given where his wife is based.

MUFC OK
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better believe it happens lomax. Players have friends on the team, have family settled in the area, are already pretty rich, want success etc. Plenty players want to stay put and will offer a discount.
b_rent87

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
You better believe it happens lomax. Players have friends on the team, have family settled in the area, are already pretty rich, want success etc. Plenty players want to stay put and will offer a discount.

Well I hope so. For all the great things Peyton brings to the team if he doesn't win a superbowl, well hey at least he jacked up the contracts for the other players on the offense. Rolling Eyes

Props to Jamison on the sig
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a lot of players over the next two years that will have contracts coming up. Decker, Thomas, and Miller most notably. There are a couple of things that are working in our favor though too. A) the salary cap increases over the next two years giving us more money to spend on them. B) they aren't all in the same year. Decker's deal has to be re done at the end of this season while Thomas and Miller are next year.

We have some other highly paid players that deals are up over that time frame as well that I don't really expect to be brought back, or at least not at a high price. Knowshon's deal will be up this year and the team can call in a fifth, but I doubt they will for five million. Robert Ayer's deal is up too, but there is no way he gets paid what he was originally signed too. If Quanterus Smith and Malik Jackson reach their potential, he may be out altogether. Rahim moore, Welker, Orlando Franklin...plenty of contributors contract's are up over the next couple of years. The team is going to have to find out where it's priorities are. I trust the front office, however and feel they will do what is best.

Here is a link to our roster and their contracts:
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/den/
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Salvas wrote:
We have a lot of players over the next two years that will have contracts coming up. Decker, Thomas, and Miller most notably. There are a couple of things that are working in our favor though too. A) the salary cap increases over the next two years giving us more money to spend on them. B) they aren't all in the same year. Decker's deal has to be re done at the end of this season while Thomas and Miller are next year.

We have some other highly paid players that deals are up over that time frame as well that I don't really expect to be brought back, or at least not at a high price. Knowshon's deal will be up this year and the team can call in a fifth, but I doubt they will for five million. Robert Ayer's deal is up too, but there is no way he gets paid what he was originally signed too. If Quanterus Smith and Malik Jackson reach their potential, he may be out altogether. Rahim moore, Welker, Orlando Franklin...plenty of contributors contract's are up over the next couple of years. The team is going to have to find out where it's priorities are. I trust the front office, however and feel they will do what is best.

Beadles is up next year as well, it is possible if Kuper doesn't come back 100% we cut him to free up the cash for Beadles. If Kuper does come back and looks better than Beadles, maybe we bump Kuper to LG and let Beadles get paid elswhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually the perfect contract for both sides. Clady wound up getting 10.5 million per yer over 5 years. The initial offer was an annual average of 10 per.
So, management upped the offer by just 2.5 million. I think it would have been crazy to pay Clady 11,12 or 13 million per year.

The Broncos compromised by guaranteeing 33 million of the contract- which is in the range I think is fair for both sides.
Clady can make an extra 5 million added through performance incentives. If he is playing exceptionally well to meet those incentives then the Broncos are better for it. Kudos to Elway and his team.
Darth Salvas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
Darth Salvas wrote:

Beadles is up next year as well, it is possible if Kuper doesn't come back 100% we cut him to free up the cash for Beadles. If Kuper does come back and looks better than Beadles, maybe we bump Kuper to LG and let Beadles get paid elswhere.

Luckily with the signing of Vasquez, we have some freedom. Guards aren't usually as expensive as tackles though so he may be able to be retained for fairly cheap. Right now if I had to guess though, I would say keep Beadles and let Kuper go for a couple of reasons. One, Beadles is younger and going to be able to re sign for cheaper. Kuper has been hurt and missed a lot of games and has a significant amount of cap money tied up. I would look at the Vasquez signing as a good bye to Kuper. Either way, the best one starts and try to hold on to the other for depth if possible. I would say that neither is a priority at the moment though.
mke1010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncos won't be able to afford to keep everyone. Talented teams are never able to. The balance is being able to stack drafts, as Elway put it. You take care of this issue by developing your own in house replacements for those you can't keep- which is what the best teams do.

They way I see it VON, Thomas, Decker and Harris will be higher priorities than Beadles. I think of all 5 Zane will be the "easiest" to stomach losing. Due to his pro bowl status and the fact that I think our O line is going to be dominant for a while, I think another team is going to offer Beadles a contract that will be very very hard for us to match.

Ayers, Beadles, Moreno, Adams and Tony Carter are notable names I think will be gone inside of 24 months.
Kuper will either retire or hopefully make it back from injury but at a reduced rate. I think Kuper will have to restructure his deal and basically take a pay cut.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be impressed with John Elway's leadership of the football side of things at Dove Valley.

There was no way we were going to let Clady go - we need an elite LT protecting Peyton's blind side if our goals of reaching and winning the Super Bowl in the next couple years are to be realized - but Elway was also smart enough to get the contract structured in a way that doesn't put the team in salary cap trouble going forward. The contract is fair to Clady and, as mke1010 said, if we have to pay out another $5 in the incentive bonuses (which center around being named All Pro) so what, he'll be worth it. It also shows other players, and prospective free agents, that the Broncos under John Elway's leadership are going to take care of their key players and pay them fair value.

Another brilliant job by #7.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Reaver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I continue to be impressed with John Elway's leadership of the football side of things at Dove Valley.

There was no way we were going to let Clady go - we need an elite LT protecting Peyton's blind side if our goals of reaching and winning the Super Bowl in the next couple years are to be realized - but Elway was also smart enough to get the contract structured in a way that doesn't put the team in salary cap trouble going forward. The contract is fair to Clady and, as mke1010 said, if we have to pay out another $5 in the incentive bonuses (which center around being named All Pro) so what, he'll be worth it. It also shows other players, and prospective free agents, that the Broncos under John Elway's leadership are going to take care of their key players and pay them fair value.

The Broncos are known for doing great contract negotiations that don't hurt the team in the future as well (e.g., back loaded contracts).
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Well said. The turnaround under Elway has been nothing short of phenomenal.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things to consider when looking at Broncos contracts down the line are that Manning's and Bailey's salaries will eventually be off the book. That's gonna free up room that Denver can work with. I'm not worried about the Broncos cap, because we have incredibly capable people managing it from Elway on down.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite our cap room as 67 has laid it out, and no matter Decker's wife having roots here (?), I think Decker's gone after this season. Especially if we win it all this year. He's a very good No. 2/boarderline No. 1 and I can see teams like the Giants (see Nicks situation), Cowboys (see Austin's decline), Chargers (McCoy and their shaky WR situation) or Ravens (void left after Boldin departure) bidding for his service. Add the factor that a mid sized market like Denver might not be enough for a budding country star.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: